The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 09:36:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Updated team/squad for 2017/18 season

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updated team/squad for 2017/18 season  (Read 10577 times)
EssTeeFree

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 18:41:10 pm »

For me, the only workable solution is for Taylor to play as a kind of deep-lying playmaker alongside a properly aggressive defensive midfielder in a Wilder style 4-2-3-1. This is what I'd like to see next season:

New GK
                         Moloney  New CB   New CB   Buchanan

Taylor     New DM

Powell       O'Toole      Hoskins/New Attacking Mid

Revell/Rico/Lobjoit (whoever shows the best form)

That is based on my suspicion that Taylor (now he's re-signed) will prove to be virtually undroppable for JED once again. To be fair to him, Taylor looked OK in a 4-2-3-1 during the initial honeymoon period under Page, which is arguably when we played our best football of the season.

Having said all that, I fully expect JED to stick to what he knows and go with a diamond with two up front and O'Toole and Taylor in the middle together (despite the abundance evidence that this doesn't work). Can a leopard change his spots? We will see.

I understand why people want JJOT to play further forward, especially given his goal record but it doesn't
Work for me. He's far better coming onto the ball from deep and I don't think he's quick or dynamic enough for that role.

Wilder tried him there and he was better deeper. Even under JED his best run of the season came when he played to the side of the diamond, was far less effective at the tip.
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler150

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 20:42:26 pm »

With Hatrlepool going down.....Nathan Thomas would be lovely addition.....never happen mind. Quality plauer well above league 2. He roasted Moloney and mot many wingers ive seen have done that.
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 22:33:55 pm »

Reckon Joe Day from Newport will be the new number 1. JED signed him for Diamonds and then Newport and is out of contract this Summer. Good age at 26 too...

From Wiki...

On 29 December 2014 Newport County announced that they had agreed a full transfer with Peterborough United for Day for an undisclosed record transfer for the Welsh club with Day being contracted until the end of the 2016–17 season.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 02:59:40 am »

Is he a relation of Mervyn's?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest3063

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 15:43:03 pm »

Gabriel Zakuani has departed, bit of a shame but probably for the best his International career is clearly important to him.

Thanks for your efforts Gabby, and good luck (as long as you don't go back to 'boro).
Report Spam   Logged
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 23:48:57 pm »

I am thinking of getting my boots out of the shed for a clean. I might be needing them if any more leave.
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 09:19:03 am »

If they're not good enough, bye then. If they're not happy here, bye then. If they're greedy, bye then. If they're not here much, bye then.
If they're too slow, bye then.
I want hunger, ambition, pace and hopefully some ability! I want us to have a go at teams.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 07:00:48 am »

Ive updated C78's post as I now see it.

Assuming we get shot of McCourt, we need a screening midfielder.

From the 7 or 8 new lads still needed, Id say that 5 of them must be good enough to go straight into the starting line up as first choices. The keeper, 2 of the centre backs, the winger and the nippy striker. I of course make this assumption without any knowledge as to what Lobjolt is going to bring to the party!

So, our squad looks like this at the moment, I have assumed first XI and formation based on players signed:

....................CORNELL.......................

MOLONEY..NEW CB..NEW CB..BUCHANAN

POWELL....JJOT...………FOLEY…..TAYLOR

.............RICO..........LOBJOIT.............

SUBS

REVELL
PHILLIPS
IACIOFANO
HOSKINS
GEORGE SMITH
MCWILLIAMS

We need
GK
CB
CB
CB
CB
CM - DEFENSIVE (ASSUMING WE GET SHOT OF MCCOURT)
WING - LEFT
CF - QUICK NIPPY GOAL POACHER
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:03:52 am by DrillingCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 07:23:50 am »

surely we need one if mccourt leaves or not................as mccourt definitely wont be doing it.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 08:03:51 am »

I'm really intrigued as to how JED will set us up this season. The general consensus was that we played how we did at the end of the season largely because he had his hands tied with regard to personnel. I'm not 100% convinced by that but, of course, I'm perfectly happy to give JED the benefit of the doubt.

One thing I'm not sure on is the mythical "quick" "nippy" striker that gets talked about a lot. JED showed a clear preference last season to play to target man type strikers up front. He had Keshi in his squad (who was his signing IIRC) and never used him up front apart from MK and Coventry I think.

My view is that we definitely need some Pacey, tricky forwards but they don't necessarily need to be strikers. Playing a 3 of Powell, Hoskins and AN Other behind Rico or Revell could be just as effective. Whatever happens I just hope we rarely, if ever see a Rico/Revell front pairing again.

This is a really interesting off-season for me, intrigued to see how JED goes about things
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 12:42:14 pm »

I'm really intrigued as to how JED will set us up this season. The general consensus was that we played how we did at the end of the season largely because he had his hands tied with regard to personnel. I'm not 100% convinced by that but, of course, I'm perfectly happy to give JED the benefit of the doubt.

One thing I'm not sure on is the mythical "quick" "nippy" striker that gets talked about a lot. JED showed a clear preference last season to play to target man type strikers up front. He had Keshi in his squad (who was his signing IIRC) and never used him up front apart from MK and Coventry I think.

My view is that we definitely need some Pacey, tricky forwards but they don't necessarily need to be strikers. Playing a 3 of Powell, Hoskins and AN Other behind Rico or Revell could be just as effective. Whatever happens I just hope we rarely, if ever see a Rico/Revell front pairing again.

This is a really interesting off-season for me, intrigued to see how JED goes about things
             No theirs a term I have not seen for ages AN OTHER,.
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 15:49:46 pm »

Is he a relation of Mervyn's?
Let's hope not.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 16:12:05 pm »

Ive updated C78's post as I now see it.

From the 7 or 8 new lads still needed, Id say that 5 of them must be good enough to go straight into the starting line up as first choices. The keeper, 2 of the centre backs, the winger and the nippy striker. I of course make this assumption without any knowledge as to what Lobjolt is going to bring to the party!

I don't think Powell was brought in as right hand midfielder - thought he was a left sided player with pace etc. I would say based on players signed so far he is not going for the diamond formation? Where is Uncle Frank to give an opinion on this vital jigsaw of a puzzle.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 22:20:20 pm »

I don't think Powell was brought in as right hand midfielder - thought he was a left sided player with pace etc. I would say based on players signed so far he is not going for the diamond formation? Where is Uncle Frank to give an opinion on this vital jigsaw of a puzzle.
Based on what they are saying on the MK forum, this lad has loads of pace, and will get you on the edge of your seat. He will tear defenders apart.
On the downside, this only happens every couple of games, and he cannot whip a cross in, or head the ball. They call him "Marmite", which says it all really.
He is starting to remind me of Carl Heggs.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 23:01:55 pm »

Where is Uncle Frank to give an opinion on this vital jigsaw of a puzzle.

Down the back of the sofa looking for more pieces.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2017, 10:10:45 am »

Playing a 3 of Powell, Hoskins and AN Other behind Rico or Revell could be just as effective.

This is what needs to happen: 4-2-3-1 with Lobjoit as an option off the bench if we need to go two up front late in a game. Hoskins, Powell and AN other could cause serious havoc as a roving trio behind a striker like Revell.

Unfortunately, JED's stubborn preference for two up front coupled with the decision to retain Taylor make it unlikely.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2017, 16:26:07 pm »

Unfortunately, JED's stubborn preference for two up front coupled with the decision to retain Taylor make it unlikely.

....................unfortunately, Bungles persistent preference to drop Taylor makes it unlikely. 

JED obviously feels that Taylor's contribution last season of 7 goals and over 20 assists is a worthwhile (figures from C&E) reason to include him in the team.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Ectonteynfan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2017, 22:44:46 pm »

Considering JED has said him self he didn't feel he had the player in his squad last season to change things round I would say we won't see the diamond every game
Report Spam   Logged
Ectonteynfan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2017, 22:46:51 pm »

Reckon Joe Day from Newport will be the new number 1. JED signed him for Diamonds and then Newport and is out of contract this Summer. Good age at 26 too...

From Wiki...

On 29 December 2014 Newport County announced that they had agreed a full transfer with Peterborough United for Day for an undisclosed record transfer for the Welsh club with Day being contracted until the end of the 2016–17 season.
he's just signed new deal with newport
Report Spam   Logged
phil_in_npton

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 17:53:26 pm »

Good Evening!
I don't think Newport have any players to interest the Cobblers, best stop looking there, they will need their best players themselves, better to go for good players at other League Two clubs!

Phil in Npton

😉
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: