The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:56:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Rod McDonald joins Coventry

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rod McDonald joins Coventry  (Read 6149 times)
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« on: May 19, 2017, 13:05:53 pm »

Undisclosed, good luck Rod!

Now we have no centre backs!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 13:29:58 pm »

Inevitable unfortunately, of the 4 listed I was only bothered about "big Rod" staying...

Never forget that sublime overhead goal v Orient away...almost as good as Ricky's  Grin

All the best big fella...you'll always have a place in our claret hearts!
Report Spam   Logged
cobblergaz59

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 13:45:52 pm »

Oh dear...Just been on Coventry Forum and they reckon the rumoured fee is £300,000  Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2017"
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 13:47:03 pm »

A difficult season for McDonald and I think all Cobblers will wish him well at Coventry.  When he first came into our side he was awful and looked out of his depth.  That he proved us wrong with some outstanding performances in our promotion year is to his great credit.  Unfortunately for him neither Page nor JED had any belief in him and he spent the season on the bench.  We will never know whether or not he can cut it at L1 level, at least wearing a Cobblers' shirt.  I wouldn't be surprised if he proves his doubters wrong. I was once in that number as were most of our fans.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 13:55:56 pm »

He should be ok at Coventry, he is a League 2 player at best. Always seemed to try his best without achieving  too much. He was never going to make it as a League 1 player.

Positive move, another League 2 player off the books.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 13:57:42 pm »

Oh dear...Just been on Coventry Forum and they reckon the rumoured fee is £300,000  Grin Grin Grin

Haha, bless 'em, can probably take at least 2 0's off that given we wanted rid. Maybe we've had some sense to stick in a sell on clause in case he does well.

Wish Rod all the best. I liked him but the fact that two managers didn't give him a chance when our defence was all at sea probably says a lot
Report Spam   Logged
lift tower

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 13:58:33 pm »

He was never going to make it as a League 1 player.
The Oxford fans said wilder would never make it as a league 1 manager.
Report Spam   Logged

Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 14:01:33 pm »

When he got up to speed and league football fit I thought he was very good. Could play, anticipate the flow of the game and in some games totally had the forwards in his pocket.
Personally thought he would keep improving as a player the more game time he got.
He still might but in the wrong shirt.

Best of luck Concrete.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 14:03:42 pm »

Wilder only spent one year in League 1 !!!!

Not sure what the Oxford fans think of McDonald though  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 14:04:36 pm »

He should be ok at Coventry, he is a League 2 player at best. He was never going to make it as a League 1 player.

What are you basing that on?
Report Spam   Logged

there's only one Robbie Curtis
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 14:07:45 pm »

A big part of our winning / unbeaten run which I never expected after that game at Barnet away.

Fair play to him he improved and I'm glad we got the benefit of that. It's a shame it never worked out last season but some cash and a sell on clause is probably the right move. Let's hope JE has some centre backs lined up to replace the 4 that have left.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 14:09:35 pm »

Basing it on the fact we had two managers in League 1 last season,  neither of them rated McDonald good enough to command a starting place in a team that let in over 70 league goals.

He looked ok in League 2, but still struggled to be a first choice centre back.
 So that suggests he might just be good enough for League 2 rather than league 1.
Report Spam   Logged

ntfc01

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 14:11:55 pm »

Haha, bless 'em, can probably take at least 2 0's off that given we wanted rid. Maybe we've had some sense to stick in a sell on clause in case he does well.

3000 are you sure?Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 14:14:40 pm »

£300,000 is complete pie in the sky. What planet is that poster on?

I doubt that it was £30,000.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 14:20:33 pm »

3000 are you sure?Huh?

How much do you reckon we got for him? We don't tend to play hard ball with players we do want to keep, can't imagine this was a drawn out negotiation.

I was always under the impression that the 4 transfer listed players would probably be let go for nowt if someone wanted to take them on. Clearly he was unwanted by JED, I can't see a scenario where we risked Coventry walking away by demanding a few more £.

As I alluded to in my previous post it would make sense to take a low fee and stick in extras if he / cov do well plus a sell on. Similar to how we go Beautyman last season.

Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 14:23:15 pm »

Hey, maybe we've done some good business!  Grin Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 14:34:16 pm »

Basing it on the fact we had two managers in League 1 last season,  neither of them rated McDonald good enough to command a starting place in a team that let in over 70 league goals.

Do you trust the opinion of either of those managers? Because I certainly don't with one and I'm not sure about the other.
Report Spam   Logged

there's only one Robbie Curtis
lift tower

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 14:40:08 pm »

Do you trust the opinion of either of those managers? Because I certainly don't with one and I'm not sure about the other.
Whereas the manager who just won league 1 signed Rod to a contract to play in league 1.
Report Spam   Logged

tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 14:49:01 pm »

That could mean anything. If Wilder had stayed he might not have played McDoanld he might of only been used as cover. We don't know . Manager sign players on long contracts then let them go early. Wider might of done the same with McDonald, you don't know, so bad example.
Report Spam   Logged

EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 14:54:29 pm »

It's all we have to go on though isn't it. They see the players day in day out, we don't. The only other way we'll every know if Rod was good enough is if he rises back up to League One (or higher) and performs well.

There has been so much hand wringing gone on for the players that have left from our title winning side but the fact of the matter is that, to date, only one of them proved they could cut it in League One and even then he's only finished lower-mid table
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: