The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 16:29:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Hereford memories

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hereford memories  (Read 1896 times)
Coolcat

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« on: June 24, 2017, 13:55:42 pm »

As I sit here in Charlbury in the Cotswolds drinking a Hereford Wye Valley IPA, nostalgically memories of trips to Hereford come flooding back...86 in the snow kicking off everywhere after game postponed, losing the rearranged game in that championship winning season, 1,250 and winning on a Tue evening back around 94...memories?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 14:01:24 pm »

I think it was Hereford that came one dismal winter night to the County Ground in I think 82/83 season. We were one up and they were down to nine men and we still couldn't beat them.
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 14:03:28 pm »

My memory is playing them when it looked like either them or us to go down maybe six or seven years ago. The match ended scoreless which I think was a better result for us, but late on they had a shot that hit the inside of the post, and ran along the goal line. That really brought home to me how very fine margins between success and failure can be in football.
I'm sure someone else will have a clearer memory of this than I. The apple juice I consumed that day has clouded my memories.
Report Spam   Logged
spqr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 14:20:25 pm »

I spent about 5 years in Worcestershire and often caught the train to Hereford in the late 1970s.

For a time Dixie McNeill was there scoring for fun.  

One game was against Southampton with Peter Osgood playing for Southampton.  I do not think that I have ever seen anyone run so hard to head a ball from a corner.

Of course there were the games against the Cobblers.  In one of them, around 1981, John Buchanan would have kicked a player into Wales had his tackle been on time!  

I was fortunate to see Kyle Walker play there when I visited friends.  He ran off down the right wing.  The ball he was after was kicked past him.  He turned and made up the ground.  He really was fast and a bit special.

Mostly games at Hereford have been fairly boring.  However, there was one where the result was 4-3 to Hereford, I believe.  John Froggatt was playing for the Cobblers.

I do recall a game at Edgar Street against Walsall.  I think the Walsall supporters had been on the cider as quite a number were helped out of the ground!

My first memories of seeing Hereford were from the FA Cup with John Charles playing for Hereford.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 14:20:45 pm »

1992 at the County Ground 1-1 draw. However, the best thing was Hereford remarkably had 4 players sent off. Still couldn't win.

Also, in 2010 and 3-0 up at half time (Leon McKenzie hat-trick), then somehow manage to lose the game 4-3.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 14:44:56 pm »

There's a video on line concerning the game with four sendings off (I was there and it was bizarre)
Good pubs in charlbury
A real good real ale pub right on the corner,the name escapes me but always has a good few beers on
Report Spam   Logged
Cordwainer2

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 14:57:40 pm »

When they were still non league, a second FA Cup replay at The Hawthorns. Don't
remember much except we lost.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 16:04:48 pm »

As I sit here in Charlbury in the Cotswolds drinking a Hereford Wye Valley IPA, nostalgically memories of trips to Hereford come flooding back...86 in the snow kicking off everywhere after game postponed, losing the rearranged game in that championship winning season, 1,250 and winning on a Tue evening back around 94...memories?

You missed the relegation battle back in 2012? April time which we won 1-0 ? Their star player hit the post in last few mins!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 17:16:32 pm »

Guillem Bauza. Played in the 3-4 game then later signed for us. Almost forgot about him.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 17:17:01 pm »

1992 at the County Ground 1-1 draw. However, the best thing was Hereford remarkably had 4 players sent off. Still couldn't win.

Also, in 2010 and 3-0 up at half time (Leon McKenzie hat-trick), then somehow manage to lose the game 4-3.
Ouch...both times!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 17:19:35 pm »

There's a video on line concerning the game with four sendings off (I was there and it was bizarre)
Good pubs in charlbury
A real good real ale pub right on the corner,the name escapes me but always has a good few beers on
Rose & Crown fella! Been before and after Charlbury Beer Festival.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 17:27:20 pm »

You missed the relegation battle back in 2012? April time which we won 1-0 ? Their star player hit the post in last few mins!
Don't think I've missed any Hereford games in last 20 yrs or so (Leyland Daf around 92 aside) but not sure if I remember beating them 1-0 in 2012. Was at Edgar Street for 0-0 when we techincally stayed up. Few more ales in Worcester before getting inter-city to Oxford. Fell asleep whilst looking reflectively at the Malvern hills...woke up in Didcot!  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 17:29:02 pm »

Back in the early nineties, there was an evening game at the CG. It may have been a meaningless cup game, as there were very few people there.
After the game, the entire Hereford squad, trooped into the County Tavern for an after match beer. I am convinced that at least two of them, were consuming more than alcohol, as their eyeballs were out on stalks.  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 20:54:24 pm »

Sitting next to Kyle walkers parents at Hereford
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 21:06:39 pm »

I remember Kevin Wilkin scoring with an overhead kick on the first day of the season it must be getting on for 25 years ago.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 21:58:24 pm »

I remember Kevin Wilkin scoring with an overhead kick on the first day of the season it must be getting on for 25 years ago.
Remember that day...Caddy, Muddy, Golfy, bowling around Hereford on a hot August Saturday. Don't remember the score...or the overhead kick though!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 22:40:52 pm »

1973 when Hereford got into the football league, they had a vdry strong squad.
Completely routed the Cobblers 4-0 and had a backing of 2000 at a time 200 was a huge following in division 4!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 22:54:34 pm »

Don't think I've missed any Hereford games in last 20 yrs or so (Leyland Daf around 92 aside) but not sure if I remember beating them 1-0 in 2012. Was at Edgar Street for 0-0 when we techincally stayed up. Few more ales in Worcester before getting inter-city to Oxford. Fell asleep whilst looking reflectively at the Malvern hills...woke up in Didcot!  Shocked

My mistake the game in question ended in 0-0. As mentioned saved by the post!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 06:30:16 am »

Followed Hereford FC's fortunes since they reformed as a phoenix club and went to Edgar Street several times last season. One of the few remaining old school former FL grounds in the town centre with a proper terrace so reminds me of the County Ground in many ways.

Really recommend taking the picturesque train journey from New Street to Hereford and having a few beers on the way to the ground. Got a lovely cathedral and a farmers market which puts ours to shame in what they actually do with it. Defo worth a trip and they have had 2 promotions in a row as they try to get back to league football.

Of course the game that stands out is the one in the 90's when they had 4 players sent off but we could still only draw. It seemed to sum up being a Cobblers fan at the time.

Take a look at the vid, definitely makes me nostalgic for the County Ground, what a brilliant quirky ground it was.  Cry

Report Spam   Logged
Rach

View Profile
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 21:46:44 pm »

I remember a penalty shoot out in an LDV game at Edgar st. Early 00's. Think our first was saved but went onto win? Not sure if billy turley was the hero that night? Rubbish game, can't remember much else. Good car park 😂
Didn't miss many games down there, locals could get a bit lairy!!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: