The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:56:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

New system

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New system  (Read 6241 times)
guest2487

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 08:33:44 am »

While Buchs might be more of your typical full back....i think Smith could do the wing back job...
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 08:36:58 am »

As others have said, I'm not at all convinced that we have the wing backs or strikers to play this system. I feel that JED's stubborn obsession with playing two up front is leading him to ignore the 4-2-3-1 system which wilder used so well and which actually suits out personnel.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 08:44:31 am »

You do realise that your comments are at odds with 3-5-2, I have always looked at our two fullbacks as attack minded especially Moloney. I see no reason why Buchs cannot be effective there. Would have thought our current crop of players could easily adapt to the new system.

I've said this before, Buchs is one of my favourite players and I rate him very highly so this isn't a dig at him. His link up play is OK going forward, neat little one-twos with midfielders being a speciality, but he can't cross for toffee. He really can't; once he gets into the final third he looks lost and either looks for someone else to set up for a cross or will send in a half hearted effort that is easily cleared. I don't know how many assists he's contributed since he's been with us but I'd be surprised if it's more than a handful, and I'm pretty sure would be significantly less than Moloney over a similar period. If you are relying on wing backs to provide width then you really want someone who can rampage forward and whip the ball into the area while on the run. With the best will in the world, Buchs can't do that.

You're right in saying that Moloney can and he's less of a concern, but as someone said earlier in this thread, he's actually better at bombing forward from deep, offering an overlap with a winger and catching the opposing full back unawares. He's less effective when he starts out from a more advanced position and has no winger to link up with.

Edit: I stand corrected on the Moloney/Buchs comparison - apparently Buchs has contributed 7 assists in his time with us compared to 6 for Moloney. Moloney has chipped in with a couple of gosls himself though. Either way, a grand total of 13 assists between them is nothing to write home about; 1 assist every 15 games from Buchs and 1 every 12 from Moloney!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:10:21 am by BackOfTheNet » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Benji

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 08:54:18 am »

Don't see the 5-2-1-1 working at all, as mentioned already about the wing backs and strikers, but I also think with a midfield 2 we will be overrun and fail to get any possession (I also see this an issue with the 4-2-3-1) which is why I favour the 4-3-3 / 4-5-1
Report Spam   Logged
andycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 09:25:33 am »

Don't see the 5-2-1-1 working at all, as mentioned already about the wing backs and strikers, but I also think with a midfield 2 we will be overrun and fail to get any possession (I also see this an issue with the 4-2-3-1) which is why I favour the 4-3-3 / 4-5-1

5-2-1-1. Not happy we start with 10 men  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
TownOwl

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2017, 09:25:59 am »

Don't see the 5-2-1-1 working at all

Me neither, I favour systems with all 11 players.

I do agree with others about the personnel to support 4-2-3-1 though.
Report Spam   Logged

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes
guest3023

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2017, 09:28:40 am »

So if a 5-3-2 is the preferred option that leaves 5 places for the following to fight over:

Richards
Revell
Lobjoit
Waters
Powell
Bowditch
Crooks
O'Toole
Hoskins
Kasim
Foley
McWilliams
Iaciofano
Taylor
?New Attacking Signing?

15 players for 5 positions?? There are going to be a few disappointed players in the squad I imagine!
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 09:43:59 am »

Not convinced this is the best system for our players. As others have said Buchs, while being one of my favourite players, is no wing back. Biro away last year was good evidence of that.

Regarding the midfield I guess we could play an advanced player sometimes (Bowditch or Hoskins from squad...probably where the other now signing will play) or we could drop Taylor or Kasim deep between Crooks and JJOT for them to bomb on.

Not sure where Powell plays in this system, does he compete for the No 10 role or upfront. A lot of CMs need to fit into 2 roles, guess maybe McWilliams goes out on loan. If he does I hope it's a
League 2 team, would help his development.

Also, I know it sounds crazy but de we need another centre back? 1 injury and 1 suspension and we need to change the whole system.

I can see a few players being a bit miffed right now.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 09:55:59 am »

I've said this before, Buchs is one of my favourite players and I rate him very highly so this isn't a dig at him. His link up play is OK going forward, neat little one-twos with midfielders being a speciality, but he can't cross for toffee. He really can't; once he gets into the final third he looks lost and either looks for someone else to set up for a cross or will send in a half hearted effort that is easily cleared. I don't know how many assists he's contributed since he's been with us but I'd be surprised if it's more than a handful, and I'm pretty sure would be significantly less than Moloney over a similar period. If you are relying on wing backs to provide width then you really want someone who can rampage forward and whip the ball into the area while on the run. With the best will in the world, Buchs can't do that.

You're right in saying that Moloney can and he's less of a concern, but as someone said earlier in this thread, he's actually better at bombing forward from deep, offering an overlap with a winger and catching the opposing full back unawares. He's less effective when he starts out from a more advanced position and has no winger to link up with.

Edit: I stand corrected on the Moloney/Buchs comparison - apparently Buchs has contributed 7 assists in his time with us compared to 6 for Moloney. Moloney has chipped in with a couple of gosls himself though. Either way, a grand total of 13 assists between them is nothing to write home about; 1 assist every 15 games from Buchs and 1 every 12 from Moloney!
100% correct mate .
My view entirely . Moloney often comes up against left hand side midfielders that can't defend  and attacks then from deep . When more advanced and against the full back he is less effective .
Buchanan's distribution isn't good enough for a wing back .
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2017, 10:30:02 am »

So if a 5-3-2 is the preferred option that leaves 5 places for the following to fight over:

Richards
Revell
Lobjoit
Waters
Powell
Bowditch
Crooks
O'Toole
Hoskins
Kasim
Foley
McWilliams
Iaciofano
Taylor
?New Attacking Signing?

15 players for 5 positions?? There are going to be a few disappointed players in the squad I imagine!

Have you allowed for 7 on bench? We will need a decent bench!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2017, 10:38:49 am »

My preferred formation is 3-5-2 very flexible and easy to understand if your playing.
JED is currently achieving 1.27 points per game since he came in, 13 new players and a new system is a gutsy move, let's hope for JEDs sake that our new owners have some patience.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2017, 10:47:29 am »

JED is currently achieving 1.27 points per game since he came in, 13 new players and a new system is a gutsy move, let's hope for JEDs sake that our new owners have some patience.

P20, W6, D5.  I make that 23 points at 1.15 points/game.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2017, 11:09:15 am »

Have you allowed for 7 on bench? We will need a decent bench!

But if that bench is full of players who are not capable of beating Kettering Town........?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2017, 11:14:21 am »

Not too fused about the system other than to comment that Buchanan is an out and out left back and may struggle in a wing back role. As others have commented for all his strengths his delivery into the penalty box is often poor.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2017, 11:15:06 am »

P20, W6, D5.  I make that 23 points at 1.15 points/game.
I stand corrected, in that case in a season that's a massive 52.9 points, oh dear.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
defender

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2017, 12:27:00 pm »

I like 5-3-2. 
Report Spam   Logged
Knockingonabit

View Profile
Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2017, 13:16:06 pm »

I would be very surprised if McWilliams went out on loan as suggested above. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he started against Shrewsbury.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2017, 13:17:47 pm »

Keep sharpening the knives lads.
Report Spam   Logged
Joes Sweet Left Foot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2017, 13:36:42 pm »

Do you choose a system first and then get in the players who work best in the system, or do you get the best available players first and then choose the system that works best with the personnel available? If it's the former then he needs a better attacking left back, another centre back and a better no 10.

If its the latter then play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 for which the current crop of players are better suited, I would suggest.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 14:34:23 pm by Joes Sweet Left Foot » Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2017, 14:02:14 pm »

Do you choice a system first and then get in the players who work best in the system, or do you get the best available players first and then choose the system that works best with the personnel available? If it's the former then he needs a better attacking left back, another centre back and a better no 10.

If its the latter then play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 for which the current crop of players are better suited, I would suggest.

What is the difference between 5-3-2 and 4-3-3 as both can easily be achieved by a sub or change of formation. I like the sound of 5-3-2 with Poole supporting the midfield  a la 4-3-3. It also strongly hints at flexibility. Can the experts on here tell why they dont like JED's new system. Or is it purely based on the apparent growing anti JE party.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 14:23:47 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: