The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 06:50:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Newport County AFC (H) pre-season

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newport County AFC (H) pre-season  (Read 6060 times)
Aitobs

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
500 Posts Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2017, 19:32:07 pm »

There are a few posters on here who probably have a dismal appreciation of one of our few classier performers who happened to score 7 goals and 11 assists last season. They seem to base their opinions on players who run around like scolded cats; get their shorts muddied and tackle like a Neanderthal. I am not remotely an expert on how to judge players but do at least appreciate some of Taylor's contributions.

But you're forgetting that Matt Taylor takes EVERY attacking set piece when he's on the pitch, so 7 goals and 11 assists are far from outstanding. Let's crunch some numbers:

According to Footcharts.co.uk, Cobblers averaged 5 corners per game last season and 11 free-kicks. If we assume that around 3 of those free-kicks per match were for offsides and therefore taken by the goalkeeper, that still leaves Taylor (on set-piece duty throughout the season) with 13 set-pieces per match to create chances from. According to the Chron, Taylor played 43 out of 46 of our league games last season. So we can roughly estimate that he took around 550 set-pieces for us. A return of 11 assists and 7 goals from those is pretty poor.

It's also worth pointing out that for the majority of the season, Taylor played at CDM at the base of the midfield diamond, where he was responsible for protecting the defence. Cobblers conceded 73 goals in the league last season- only Gillingham (79) and Chesterfield (78) conceded more. It's true that the defence had it's own problems but I think Taylor's poor play at the base of the diamond was one of the main reasons why we conceded so many goals last season.

He was the only midfielder consistently finding space and making himself available. I think he looks very fit this year too.

Out of interest how did you rate the performances in that game of Crooks, Kasim and Bowditch? (For what it's worth I thought Kasim had a good game too)

Bowditch has been consistently disappointing and shouldn't start against Shrewsbury but I think Crooks and Kasim were both excellent against Newport. Kasim was very good on the ball and had pace, a nice first touch and decent crossing abilities. Crooks is very influential due to his size and is a good playmaker also. Both are considerably better options than Taylor.
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2017, 19:42:37 pm »

its how pre season goes... Playing Derby everybody to a man was bang at it. yesterdays game seemed laboured.

Its Saturday that counts and if certain players are not at it then JED has a good squad to choose from.
Report Spam   Logged
Aitobs

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2017, 19:58:13 pm »

Below is my man-for-man marking for the Newport friendly. Feel free to let me know what you think, but bear in mind it's just my opinion!

Cobblers Man-for-man Marking for 2-1 win over Newport

Cornell: Kicking marginally improved from Derby game. Could have done better for the Newport goal. Made a very good save in second half. 7/10

Smith: Very impressive. Excellent first touch and some pinpoint crosses. Covered a lot of ground down the left flank and showed his pace. Will be a proper challenger to Buchs. 9

Pierre: Solid again. Good pace, defended set-pieces well, decent on the ball, calm and collected. Reads the game well. 8

Poole: Some good touches but caught out a few times. Less willing to put a tackle in than Pierre or Barnett and looks to be lacking a bit of confidence at the moment. 6

Barnett: Another strong performance, a lot of good blocks, tackles and distribution. He's got pace and skill on the ball too. Really confident in defence and is everything you want in a League One centre-back. A great header from a corner for the winning goal. 9 MOTM

Powell: Impressive. I'd prefer him as a winger rather than wing-back but he's a rarity of a player in that he is very fast and still retains good ball control. He innfluenced the game well and produced a lot of great play. 8

Kasim: Very good. Great pace and kept up energy throughout. Crossing excellent and can put a good tackle in too. Helped out defensively. 8

Crooks: Much improved from Derby performance. Created a lot, and showed some masterful ball skills at times. Very influential in the middle of the park. 8

Matt Taylor : Poor overall. Anonymous first half. Had a good free kick well saved in the second half and a good corner for the Barnett header. Lost the ball a lot and didn't look very sharp at all. Not involved enough in open play. 6

Revell: Borderline diabolical. Hardly touched the ball, looked exhausted very quickly, poor positioning and a terrible first touch. Not a threat at all. 3

Waters:Good off the ball and is blessed with that great pace but only managed one shot (and it was a wayward one) in the 45 mins he played. 6

Substitutes:

Bowditch: Poor yet again. Anonymous, hardly touched the ball. 5

Ash Taylor: Decent, some good challenges/headers. Very authoritative at the back and his experience at a higher level is already showing. 7

Richards: Had hardly any service but slipped in some good passes where he could and always carries a threat with his movement. 6

Phillips: Not much of an attacking showing at wing-back, defended well though. 6

Buchanan: Did alright, always very defensively sound but not as good as Smith in attack or at crossing into the box. Arguably Edinburgh's hardest decision this weekend will be whether to start him or Smith at LWB. 7
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2017, 20:02:27 pm »

Below is my man-for-man marking for the Newport friendly. Feel free to let me know what you think, but bear in mind it's just my opinion!

Cobblers Man-for-man Marking for 2-1 win over Newport

Cornell: Kicking marginally improved from Derby game. Could have done better for the Newport goal. Made a very good save in second half. 7/10

Smith: Very impressive. Excellent first touch and some pinpoint crosses. Covered a lot of ground down the left flank and showed his pace. Will be a proper challenger to Buchs. 9

Pierre: Solid again. Good pace, defended set-pieces well, decent on the ball, calm and collected. Reads the game well. 8

Poole: Some good touches but caught out a few times. Less willing to put a tackle in than Pierre or Barnett and looks to be lacking a bit of confidence at the moment. 6

Barnett: Another strong performance, a lot of good blocks, tackles and distribution. He's got pace and skill on the ball too. Really confident in defence and is everything you want in a League One centre-back. A great header from a corner for the winning goal. 9 MOTM

Powell: Impressive. I'd prefer him as a winger rather than wing-back but he's a rarity of a player in that he is very fast and still retains good ball control. He innfluenced the game well and produced a lot of great play. 8

Kasim: Very good. Great pace and kept up energy throughout. Crossing excellent and can put a good tackle in too. Helped out defensively. 8

Crooks: Much improved from Derby performance. Created a lot, and showed some masterful ball skills at times. Very influential in the middle of the park. 8

Matt Taylor : Poor overall. Anonymous first half. Had a good free kick well saved in the second half and a good corner for the Barnett header. Lost the ball a lot and didn't look very sharp at all. Not involved enough in open play. 6

Revell: Borderline diabolical. Hardly touched the ball, looked exhausted very quickly, poor positioning and a terrible first touch. Not a threat at all. 3

Waters:Good off the ball and is blessed with that great pace but only managed one shot (and it was a wayward one) in the 45 mins he played. 6

Substitutes:

Bowditch: Poor yet again. Anonymous, hardly touched the ball. 5

Ash Taylor: Decent, some good challenges/headers. Very authoritative at the back and his experience at a higher level is already showing. 7

Richards: Had hardly any service but slipped in some good passes where he could and always carries a threat with his movement. 6

Phillips: Not much of an attacking showing at wing-back, defended well though. 6

Buchanan: Did alright, always very defensively sound but not as good as Smith in attack or at crossing into the box. Arguably Edinburgh's hardest decision this weekend will be whether to start him or Smith at LWB. 7

What about long?
Report Spam   Logged
Aitobs

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2017, 23:06:29 pm »

What about long?

Not sure how I managed to forget him! Brilliant goal, good movement and looks like he could be a really fine loan signing. 8/10.
Report Spam   Logged
Benji

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2017, 06:56:25 am »

Did we play a midfield 3 in the first half or did one of them play behind the strikers?.
Report Spam   Logged
Gaston

No one says no to Gaston!

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2017, 11:52:33 am »

I was at the game on Saturday and wonder how much patience we will have to show?

It felt like Newport got the dates wrong and they were playing as if it was the season opener. With the Cobblers treating it like their first pre season.

Nouble up top for Newport asked too many questions of our back line and the answers were slow incoming forward.

Their centre mid (No.4 with arm in bandage) absolutely bullied Taylor and I barely spotted Crooks.

Revell has been covered. The individual goal by Long was fantastic.

Not all negative. Smith & Pierre looked good and worked well together. Pierre enjoyed bursting forward a couple of times. Poole has a touch a class but will frustrate at times. Waters and Hosins in the same team would be rapid and busy.

On Cornell, I have seen him in the last two friendlies and against Bury and Gillingham at the end of last season. I really don't know what he has actually done wrong?! On Saturday the defence (maybe Buchs) couldn't tackle the Newport forward and left Cornell exposed. In the second half he made an excellent save. If that save was made by Woody, Welch or Smith most of you would be reaching for your tissues. Cornell like the rest of the squad and management might need more time than we usually give.
Report Spam   Logged

Hugs and Kisses xoxox
ClaretCobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Windows User Linux User
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2017, 12:15:34 pm »

I was at the game on Saturday and wonder how much patience we will have to show?

It felt like Newport got the dates wrong and they were playing as if it was the season opener. With the Cobblers treating it like their first pre season.

Nouble up top for Newport asked too many questions of our back line and the answers were slow incoming forward.

Their centre mid (No.4 with arm in bandage) absolutely bullied Taylor and I barely spotted Crooks.

Revell has been covered. The individual goal by Long was fantastic.

Not all negative. Smith & Pierre looked good and worked well together. Pierre enjoyed bursting forward a couple of times. Poole has a touch a class but will frustrate at times. Waters and Hosins in the same team would be rapid and busy.

On Cornell, I have seen him in the last two friendlies and against Bury and Gillingham at the end of last season. I really don't know what he has actually done wrong?! On Saturday the defence (maybe Buchs) couldn't tackle the Newport forward and left Cornell exposed. In the second half he made an excellent save. If that save was made by Woody, Welch or Smith most of you would be reaching for your tissues. Cornell like the rest of the squad and management might need more time than we usually give.

I'll tell you what Cornell has done wrong... he flapped at a cross against Stourbridge and he's been a scapegoat ever since.

People didn't like it when Smith was dropped for him and that's stuck ever since, he'll never be accepted here, and I think it's a shame that people can't have an open mind when it comes to players, once they have an opinion that's it.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2017, 12:20:11 pm »

I'll tell you what Cornell has done wrong... he flapped at a cross against Stourbridge and he's been a scapegoat ever since.

In a nutshell, this is why. He didn't look that comfortable in his little run once he displaced Smith, but we were an awful side at the time, and I don't think it helped that he was a big part of the "piss about instead of warming up" crew with Jak McCourt most half-times.

I think he should at least be afforded a chance, but the Chron article today says that Goff will be off on loan after the first couple of weeks of the season so he will be number two anyway.
Report Spam   Logged
Battery Man

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2017, 12:30:39 pm »

Personally I think Cornell has the makings of a great keeper and will have a great career. Whether that is with us or somewhere else remains to be seen. If we bring a top quality keeper in I can se him playing in the cup games and waiting on his chance this season.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2017, 12:38:09 pm »

Not sure how I managed to forget him! Brilliant goal, good movement and looks like he could be a really fine loan signing. 8/10.

With that kind of marking it's a wonder we did not win 5-0!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2017, 12:59:04 pm »

I think Cornell will be starting on Saturday. The fact that JE has said Goff will go out on loan but not until the end of August might mean our GK target isn't going to come in just yet.

As for whether he's good enough for this level, I'm not quite sure. He'll have my support and he might have a few games to show what he is capable of.

Report Spam   Logged
Sean_ntfc

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2017, 13:33:21 pm »

I'd personally like to thank the Newport County manager (Michael Flynn) for teaching my son that beautiful 4 letter word F***!!

My son is only 7, and we were right behind where he was standing...suddenly he shouts "<Player name> WHERE THE F*** are you going !!". My son being my son, decides to copy him at the top of his voice.

Now I have the difficulty of erasing that word from his brain so he doesn't casually use it when back at school !!

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2017, 13:40:24 pm »

I'd personally like to thank the Newport County manager (Michael Flynn) for teaching my son that beautiful 4 letter word F***!!

My son is only 7, and we were right behind where he was standing...suddenly he shouts "<Player name> WHERE THE F*** are you going !!". My son being my son, decides to copy him at the top of his voice.

Now I have the difficulty of erasing that word from his brain so he doesn't casually use it when back at school !!

Grin

The bloke was being a t*t all game
Report Spam   Logged
Sean_ntfc

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2017, 13:42:25 pm »

The bloke was being a t*t all game

Wasn't just me who thought that then ! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2017, 08:14:44 am »

Grin
Teacher leaves the room to get some resources
"Miss, where the f*** are you going?"

Good luck with that one  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
Sean_ntfc

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2017, 09:21:25 am »

Teacher leaves the room to get some resources
"Miss, where the f*** are you going?"

Good luck with that one  Shocked

Grin It's one of those - it's funny to hear him say it for 1 second, then it's not so funny.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2017, 10:48:01 am »

Grin It's one of those - it's funny to hear him say it for 1 second, then it's not so funny.

My goddaughter would keep everyone entertained with her rendition of The Bear Necessities when she was a toddler. She wasn't a great singer, she just couldn't pronounce "forget" properly, hence...

Look for the bear necessities,
The simple bear necessities,
Fùckit all your worries and your strife....

I actually think those words work better.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Sean_ntfc

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2017, 11:06:41 am »

My goddaughter would keep everyone entertained with her rendition of The Bear Necessities when she was a toddler. She wasn't a great singer, she just couldn't pronounce "forget" properly, hence...

Look for the bear necessities,
The simple bear necessities,
Fùckit all your worries and your strife....

I actually think those words work better.  Grin

That's hilarious !! I prefer that version too  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: