The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 17:42:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Trouncing The Trawlermen

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouncing The Trawlermen  (Read 11700 times)
BedsCobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2017, 17:29:50 pm »

The same stubborn KT who took 4 months more than was necessary to sack Rob Page after it was made quite clear after the Peterborough debacle that he was incompetent.

P.S: I am not advocating the sacking of Edinburgh, I personally still back him. I'm just saying that there is no chance that Kelvin Thomas will be sacking him any time soon.
Its in Kelvins interest to keep the football club treading water, just surviving . Northampton Town fc are well positioned  in its little ground that stands on a wonderful foot print for God only knows what as he didnt say what he wants it for?
Use some chinese money for Jed to get some new players in to get this team playing more attacking football as it's  the lack of chances created whats killing us this season.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2017, 17:31:25 pm »

I've got a few serious concerns about Jed.

1. His insistence in playing Buch's as a wing back. Our left hand side is non existent.
2. Setting up the team not to lose. Far too defensively minded.
3. His use of substitutions. Last week he took Waters off, made no sense. This week he did a double 'like for like'. Before waiting until the 90th minute to 'go for it'.
4. He is coming across as very very stubborn.

I said with 25 minutes to go that if we took off Poole and went more attacking we could well end up nicking it. Poole was totally wasted, he wasn't needed (as in 3rd central defender). I said the moment they scored he needs to go 4 at the back NOW. He waited until the 90th minute.

We do look rock solid most of the time, but totally lacking a cutting edge. I believe the reason for the latter is the system and the players he's using in it. It is appearing that the Gills fans comments on JED may well have been right. Namely he likes very narrow formations and is extremely defensively minded. He's brought in a terrific bunch of players (on paper) and its got Martin Wilkinson written all over it. As things stand.

Im not calling for his head, far from it. But I predict now he won't last beyond the end of September. I don't think its in his DNA to admit he's got this whole 5-3-2 'thing' (based on his recruitment for it) wrong and will persist with it until the bitter end. I hope he doesn't persist with it, I hope he goes to a formation with a flat 4 defence (which will suit our personnel) and I believe if he does we will quickly climb up the table. Cant see it happening though!
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2017, 17:34:11 pm »

100% with you, Doc. Nearly 9 hours without a goal, 12 games without a win, 23 points from 22 league games. He could hardly complain.

This.

It is not a 'Chris-Wilder's-first-5 games-at-Sheffield-United' situation.  

Report Spam   Logged
mr3teas

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2017, 17:43:05 pm »

Just got back from the game and can say that that was another frustrating performance. Firstly, it was good to see that Edinburgh didn't bring back Taylor into the side which would have but us at a disadvantage from the off (judging by his performances toward the back end of last season and the Shrewsbury away debacle.

I have to admit to being very worried after 9 minutes. We were playing it long at every opportunity, and we're gifting away possession, culminating in Fleetwood carving out a decent chance. We didn't seem to be pressing anywhere on the pitch and I was fearing an absolute trouncing. After that, I felt we grew into the game a bit and at half time, although the football we played wasn't brilliant, I couldn't really think of much Fleetwood had created either and was left thinking that if we could just score 1 goal, that would be enough to win the game, build some confidence and get the players and fans trusting the system. Half time is where the optimism ended!

Second half I'm not sure we actually created anything of note at all and I'm genuinely left scratching my head wondering where the hell we're going to get a goal from. I thought Revell lead the line well but all he could do was flick on long balls punted forward to him. Long looked good at times although it was frustrating to see him try and cut the ball back when through on goal instead of running direct and shooting for himself. He looked like the only person who would score though and would probably do this by running at the defenders and creating something for himself.

The main issue I have with the new formation/system, and I said this after the Shrewsbury game is that the midfield provides. I width whatso ever. Phillips was a good option at fullback and was fairly attacking and Bucks even got forward on the odd occasion too. He is still clearly uncomfortable at wing back though and not the best option. I really was surprised to see North not even on the bench as I was lookin forward to seeing what he has to offer.

The centre back as a unit look fairly strong. They don't let much through them but too often the distribution was terrible. I'm sure playing with wingbacks, the system should be about building from the back and playing passing football with the wingbacks overloading the midfield and making it hard to defend. Playing hoof ball from defence to attack and bypassing the midfield simply negates the plus points of the formation.

Another frustrating defeat and I can't see where our next goal is going to come from, let alone our next point. Charlton up next but then a game against the P*sh who have started the season strongly. If ever there was a game for things to come together and click, it's that one. Win it and there won't be much pressure on JED, lose it and I think there'll be more than just a few grumbles from the crowd. We finished last season poorly and have started this season in the same vein despite having a better squad at our disposal.

What's the answer? If it was me as manager, a chance of formation/system but that's down to JED. We'll see what happens next Saturday but I'm not optimistic. Oh well...what is it that Rob Page used to say? That's right, we go again!

Whose North
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2017, 17:43:44 pm »

Really struggling to believe some of the opinions on here after two games of the season (three if you count QPR), I hope that the boys give the performances to change them.

JE played the personnel pretty much everyone wanted today, and it didn't work. I'm not convinced on 5-3-2/3-4-1-2, and I agree that we need at least one better wing back if we are going to play that way. I was disappointed that we seemed to have resorted to hoofball already, in which case we would do better to go 4-4-2.

I'm not in the sack the manager camp, we did play some decent football in five minute spells today, but the performances have been lacking given that we should have better players than last year now. My run down:

Cornell - Made one good save in the first half, distribution was decent and marshalled the box well. Left with no hope for the goal - 7

Phillips - Had a good game bombing forward, won a lot in the air and looked comfortable. I felt he was unlucky to be subbed and was one of our better players - 7

Poole - Looked tidy on the ball, looked for a pass rather than aimless hoofing, still learning but I think will get better the more he plays - 6

A.Taylor - Ash was poor today. Still won everything in the air but anything on the floor was booted anywhere and his passing was atrocious - 5

Pierre - A bright spark at the back. Looked great moving the ball out of defence, is quick and powerful as well as good in the air. Passing let him down second half - 7

Buchs - Poor old Buchs is not having a good time as a wing back. Too often he is not far enough forward, and when he is the ball always comes backwards rather than putting it in or beating the man. Sad to say, but I think if he doesn't get the hang of it at Charlton, we'll see Smith start.

Crooks - A mystery to me how he got MoM, he reminds me of Boateng from last year. A really languid style that makes him look lazy, I was expecting him to dominate games at this level. Too often he gave the ball away or let people by him easily, and then in the next breath would pull off a great turn or tackle. Will be better with JJ alongside him, but not good enough at the minute - 6

Kasim - A bit like Crooks, but with better passing and tackling. Seemed to create space really well and then didn't do anything with the ball. Looks tidy though, hopefully will be better keeping hold of it with a stronger midfield partner - 6

Waters - Ran everywhere, didn't seem to get tired and should have scored. Reminiscent of Hoskins when he was in form before his injury. Not sure the behind the strikers role is best for him, like other I would like to see him up top. His constant hassling did create chances or giveaways - 7

Long - Did okay. Pressed well with Waters, first half was always looking to shoot but for some reason kept bringing the ball back in the second half. Did not read well enough from Revs flick ons, they were too far apart but I don't know what JE has told them to play like - 7

Revs - Will no doubt be a scapegoat like Rico as we haven't scored in xyz amount of games, despite the fact that nobody else on the team has either. Put himself about as he normally would, won plenty in the air and held the ball up when he could - 6

Subs:

Moloney - Good to see him back, went on some mazy runs but was a bit unsure when we switched to four at the back - 6

McWilliams - Poor lad. A bad first touch and it's the goal that cost us the game. Crooks/Pierre went up to try and console him but didn't look comfortable after this. Hopefully will bounce back - 6

Rico - Didn't really have time to do anything - 6

Fleetwood were not that good today, but their centre backs were really good and the keeper made three ridiculous saves one after the other to keep us out before half time. They had settled for a draw and we were worth one until the mistake by McWilliams in my opinion. I understand the concern that we haven't scored in x amount of games but the ones I have seen we have missed plenty of chances and that can't be on JE (unless all of the strikers we have are now awful and we need five more), but it is about results and we could really do with one or two in the next few games.
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2017, 18:04:38 pm »

Just seen the goal, surely Cornell has to actually try and save the shot rather than failing to his knees in acceptance that it's a goal? Bizzare.
Report Spam   Logged
ajp

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2017, 18:39:13 pm »

Just seen the goal, surely Cornell has to actually try and save the shot rather than failing to his knees in acceptance that it's a goal? Bizzare.

For f*** sake how u can blame that goal on Cornell is beyond me, try McWilliams or even more so the rest of the team that didn't even react to his error and pretty much let them score!
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2017, 18:41:31 pm »

For **** sake how u can blame that goal on Cornell is beyond me, try McWilliams or even more so the rest of the team that didn't even react to his error and pretty much let them score!

I'm not blaming him, McWilliams shouldn't have lost posession to cheaply. Still doesn't explain why he doesn't try and save it.  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2017, 18:58:34 pm »

He had no chance of saving it, the ball was past him.
If someone puts a ball a couple of feet over your head as a defender, you don't jump for it if you know you can't reach it do you....or do you?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3023

« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2017, 19:03:24 pm »

I've got mixed feelings after this match. The first time I have seen the new signings, and I was mostly impressed with what I saw. I thought Cobbs were the better team up to about the hour mark and then they seemed to go off the boil a bit. I thought Fleetwood were very good and it's a credit to the players that they bettered them for much of the game. I don't think they'll come up against too many sides that are as strong as the one they did today.

Players ratings:
Cornell - 6 - Had little to do and didn't do much wrong
Philips - 7 - Strong performance, can't understand why he was subbed like-for-like unless he was injured
Buchanan 5.5 - Simply not a wing-back, shouldn't be playing in this formation
Taylor - 6 - Solid performance, commanding on set-pieces and looks a leader. Appear like an excellent signing with better to come
Pierre - 8 - My MOM, excellent performance, can see why he was being considered by Bristol City earlier this summer
Poole - 5 - Solid defensively but lackluster distribution/passing. Seemed to lack composure a little while in possession
Crooks - 7 - Very impressed with Crooks, thought he had a good game but lost possession a few times, paradoxically showing some quality to win the ball back quickly afterwards. Think he will be a big player this season.
Kasim - 5 - Looked lively but with no end product. Not the best set-piece delivery either meant he was not effective enough for me. Thought he should have been subbed for Taylor for the last 15 as Taylor might have produced a moment of class to create a goal.
Revell - 6 - Improved performance from last year, probably due to fitness etc. Thought he shouldn't be playing with Waters and Long.
Waters - 7 - Liked the look of him, very Hoskins like but with more guile.
Long - 7 - Looks Cobbs best striker, quick, sharp, good eye for goal. Should start every match if fit.

Ultimately the team looked considerably stronger than at any point last year, improved across the board and I think JED and the club should be commended for practically reforming the squad over the summer. I can't see any reason why this team should struggle this season, which makes it all the more frustrating to lose today and in such a manner.

Can't blame McWilliams, he was thrown in at the deep-end and had barely got on the pitch when he received the ball with a Fleetwood player bearing down on him. While I could see the reasoning behind taking off Kasim, I thought to replace him with McWilliams in such an evenly poised match against strong opposition to be naive. Also can't figure out for the life of me why it took JED until the 90th minute to bring on Richards or why he didn't revert to 4-4-2 immediately after the goal.

Getting the first points on the board asap is going to be massive for confidence and reversing momentum.
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2017, 19:08:56 pm »

He had no chance of saving it, the ball was past him.
If someone puts a ball a couple of feet over your head as a defender, you don't jump for it if you know you can't reach it do you....or do you?

Also noticed he was still in the six yard box when the shot was made, rather than coming off his line to stop the striker having such a huge target to aim at. It is such poor goalkeeping, I'm amazed people are defending him.
Report Spam   Logged
sixfields starling

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2017, 19:16:46 pm »

I didn't think we were too bad today,certainly better performance than Shrewsbury. What frustrates me is how other teams attack with purpose and look for their men,we don't and either hoof it or try fancy flicks. We need to keep the ball longer and pass it around more,getting out of this habit of just getting rid,it's like we have have no faith in our ability. We all see the games differently I know and for me Crooks was my MOM by a mile ,looks good on the ball ,wins plenty of headers and carries the ball forward well. It is interesting how other people see the game, but most agree we are not quite right undergoing forward and for me need to be giving Smith a try , as ,as much as I love Buchs he can't cross very well, most times it's behind the player not in front for him to attack. Although disappointed tonight , I'm more hopeful than last week.
Report Spam   Logged
Rushdencobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2017, 19:33:48 pm »

Didn't go today as I was travelling back from my hols ( prob got lucky ) but from what I have seen pre season and our performances towards the end of last year that the change of personnel and formation has not done it.

We have the players in there to play decent football but still persist on boring defensive football and long balls, and teams in this league only need once chance with a decent striker to finish games. I don't want managers sacked too quickly and I still think things will turn around judging by some of the comments we not far off, but I can't JED doing that, I hope I'm wrong and we put a decent performance out next week.
Report Spam   Logged
CapesCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2017, 20:17:36 pm »

Only seen the highlights but the criticism for Cornell re their goal is absolutely ridiculous.
Report Spam   Logged
Aitobs

View Profile
500 Posts Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2017, 20:19:37 pm »

100% with you, Doc. Nearly 9 hours without a goal, 12 games without a win, 23 points from 22 league games. He could hardly complain.

I agree with you that things are bad but just in the interests of accuracy, we are 11 games without a win, not 12.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2017, 20:25:12 pm »

Just a few random media observations: JED didn't like it when Caroline tried to talk up cornell's performance in the post match interview, I think the inference was that he thought he'd only had one save to make all game and I think his frosty reaction led to the interview being slightly curtailed. Secondly Tim Oglethorpe said that one of the big pluses for him was McWilliams' performance/reaction after he made the mistake - I'm not quite sure what he was referring to as in his 15 minute cameo I can't recall him doing anything right - poor kid. Finally I notice on the chron twitter that James henighan is saying he wouldn't be surprised to see more movement in the transfer market before the window closes and other people are agreeing saying that he needs to bring in personnel to play this system - my argument would be shouldn't he have already brought the right players in close season to work and play the system?
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2017, 20:31:53 pm »

Only seen the highlights but the criticism for Cornell re their goal is absolutely ridiculous.

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Aitobs

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2017, 20:36:11 pm »

Just a few random media observations: JED didn't like it when Caroline tried to talk up cornell's performance in the post match interview, I think the inference was that he thought he'd only had one save to make all game and I think his frosty reaction led to the interview being slightly curtailed. Secondly Tim Oglethorpe said that one of the big pluses for him was McWilliams' performance/reaction after he made the mistake - I'm not quite sure what he was referring to as in his 15 minute cameo I can't recall him doing anything right - poor kid. Finally I notice on the chron twitter that James henighan is saying he wouldn't be surprised to see more movement in the transfer market before the window closes and other people are agreeing saying that he needs to bring in personnel to play this system - my argument would be shouldn't he have already brought the right players in close season to work and play the system?

Thanks for this, some very interesting observations. I didn't hear the interview- was Edinburgh asked about whether there had been any progress in signing the new goalkeeper?
Report Spam   Logged
Aitobs

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2017, 20:37:29 pm »

Whose North

I think he's got his Georges mixed up- he means George Smith, as opposed to George North, the Saints player!
Report Spam   Logged
ceebee2

View Profile
Apple User Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2017, 20:39:17 pm »

Can someone please explain the point of swapping Poole for Richards and changing formation after the 90 minutes was up???

Ibrahimovic, Diego Costa and Harry Kane would struggle to make their mark on a game like that in the time left to play, so Richards didn't have a chance.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: