The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 09:19:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Justin Edinburgh Managerial Away Record

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Justin Edinburgh Managerial Away Record  (Read 2084 times)
SteveRiches

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 03:53:19 am »

Won 1
Drawn 2
Lost 7

Thats since he started here, first away game being MK away.

The one we won was at Wimbledon, 1-0. Late Taylor Penalty.
He is irritatingly cautious and defensive-minded for away games, which you could put up with if it produced results - but clearly it doesn't yet he persists with it. No sense in that whatsoever. Hopefully the one-off nature of tonight's cup game may free his befuddled mind.
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 05:55:32 am »

Maybe it's because of the hazardous nature of being a manager but JED falls into the camp of those managers who set out their teams away from home not to lose rather than to win games.  I have never understood this approach. 

PS. Ian Atkins was very much in the same mould but he did for a time enjoy some success
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 07:23:07 am »

I'm not a great believer in the whole "away from home" psyche.

The only factor with any kind of effect is a more vociferous opposition support and to a professional sportsman even that should be negligible. Home or away, its the same opponents on a pitch of similar dimensions.

JED needs to learn fast that this wing back approach does not work at this level  - the players just aren't good enough.

4 at the back please. I'm not so old fashioned that I'll go the whole "4 4 fuking 2" but please, 4 at the back. I don't mind 2 holding midfielders as long as one isn't Taylor, then 3 interchanging behind a striker (which must IMHO be Long)

We have the personnel to do this - we don't have the players to play this poxy 5-3-2 which just leaves us overrun in midfield, exposed down the flanks and reliant on hoofball as our main attacking outlet
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 08:24:51 am »

I'm not a great believer in the whole "away from home" psyche.

The only factor with any kind of effect is a more vociferous opposition support and to a professional sportsman even that should be negligible. Home or away, its the same opponents on a pitch of similar dimensions.

JED needs to learn fast that this wing back approach does not work at this level  - the players just aren't good enough.

4 at the back please. I'm not so old fashioned that I'll go the whole "4 4 fuking 2" but please, 4 at the back. I don't mind 2 holding midfielders as long as one isn't Taylor, then 3 interchanging behind a striker (which must IMHO be Long)

We have the personnel to do this - we don't have the players to play this poxy 5-3-2 which just leaves us overrun in midfield, exposed down the flanks and reliant on hoofball as our main attacking outlet

I tend to agree with the formation thing, we need to simplify it as much as possible and remember that we are dealing with lower league players - it's all very well chelsea playing with wing backs but they have world class players. I can see this going one of 2 ways - either JED changes the system to prove that he is tactically flexible as he suggested in his interviews during pre season, or more likely knowing how stubborn managers are he'll persist with a formation that doesn't work.
Report Spam   Logged
lodgeadam

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 16:25:09 pm »

Not even a JED issue but just why should away form be so bad, and yes a JED (amongst may others) thing, why should managers typically set out such a negative game plan for away games -
Is it the traveling? - sure the players have had to travel by luxury coach driven by someone else compared with home games where many live miles from Northampton where they have to drive themselves.
Is it the atmosphere? - well my experience both sixfields and away is the away supporters generate far more noise and passionate support than the home crowd.
Is the different pitch? - if professional sportsmen can't adapt or indeed train on different surfaces & conditions it's a damming indictment.

This has always been something I have questioned, just don't get it. How would you approach a game at a neutral ground such as Wembley?
Report Spam   Logged

--- 'Shoe Army' is THE worst chant ever! --- Twitter @lodgeadam
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 16:28:58 pm »

This has always been something I have questioned, just don't get it. How would you approach a game at a neutral ground such as Wembley?

Ask Aidy Boothroyd
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 16:58:35 pm »

Wasn't there one season a while ago when our away record was better than home? Can't remember whether it was 5 or 50 years ago, can't remember what I had for breakfast.  Cry
Report Spam   Logged
lodgeadam

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 15:53:37 pm »

Ask Aidy Boothroyd

He quite clearly didn't prepare, unless you count sucking off Clive Platt as preparation.
Report Spam   Logged

--- 'Shoe Army' is THE worst chant ever! --- Twitter @lodgeadam
ceebee2

View Profile
Apple User Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2017, 20:28:20 pm »

Just watched that boring spectacle at Sixfields this afternoon, and I think the title to this thread needs some slight alteration ...... drop the word AWAY and everything else fits, especially the comments applying at Home or Away.

JE's league record since he came is Played 21 - Won 6 - Drawn 5 - Lost 10. That gives 23 points in 21 games which equates to 50 points in a 46 match season ....... marginal relegation I would say.

It doesn't really matter as I think everyone knows that if he doesn't start bringing in some points soon, and if the team don't start playing in a way that might mean we'll actually score at some point, then his days will be very much numbered. 
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler_rob

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 11:52:27 am »

Wasn't there one season a while ago when our away record was better than home? Can't remember whether it was 5 or 50 years ago, can't remember what I had for breakfast.  Cry

John Gorman 2006/07 i think. Seemed to remember them going for coach journeys round Northamptonshire on the way to Sixfields to make it seem like an away game!
Report Spam   Logged
Parklands Cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 08:18:58 am »

Interesting article Kent on Line 02/08/17, JED and David Kerslake attending an employment tribunal hearing re dispute with there leaving Gillingham.
Obviously a lot of bad feeling with Scally the Gills Chairman.Looking back at what the Gills supporters said about JED when he left them it does slowly seem to be happening here.
Report Spam   Logged
lift tower

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 22:07:00 pm »

I heard that scally was distracted with his health issues and if hadn't been sick would have sacked Justin earlier.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: