The Hotel End
April 16, 2024, 06:00:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Richards or Revell, WHY?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richards or Revell, WHY?  (Read 2868 times)
guest2487

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 12:23:01 pm »

We've got to play Long and Waters as the front 2.
Report Spam   Logged
rebelspawn

View Profile
Search Eighth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 14:31:06 pm »

Playing long, direct, aerial balls to long and Waters would probably yield worse results than current ones.

The whole manner of play needs to change as the first priority IMO
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 07:31:01 am »

Charlton boss Karl Robinson on signing a prolific striker:

“We’ve spoken to one or two strikers. For every club from the top of the Premier League to the bottom of the conference, they are looking for a striker to score 20 goals a season.
“So, we’re fishing in the same pond as every other football club. We just hope we find the right one that’s competitive.
“We know there are four or five that we've spoken to who we like. There are two or three where we think we've been out-priced so we won't be chasing them. So we just need to get it right.
“To buy a striker that’s going to score you 25 goals, it’s going to cost £1.5m to £2m - when do you see a team in League One do that?”

Despite Charlton's problems in recent years, I'm sure they have more money than we do and they are being priced out of players. Those hoping we can bring in a 20-25 goal striker just like that are living in a fantasy. You either hope you've got a decent youth prospect, loan in a prem/championship striker and hope you've hit gold (and hope they don't recall him) or fork out serious money. I don't think any of these are going to happen, Chris Long being out most likely option.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2017, 08:52:27 am »

Reality checks don't work on here, stop it...  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2487

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 10:24:03 am »

Playing long, direct, aerial balls to long and Waters would probably yield worse results than current ones.

The whole manner of play needs to change as the first priority IMO

Totally agree by the way.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2017, 14:26:31 pm »

How the hell can playing long. direct aerial balls to Long and Waters yield worse results ? We have'nt scored for over 5 games, how much worse could it get ?
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
rebelspawn

View Profile
Search Eighth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 14:58:28 pm »

How the hell can playing long. direct aerial balls to Long and Waters yield worse results ? We have'nt scored for over 5 games, how much worse could it get ?

Long and waters are not tall, strong aerial players who can physically battle and hold a ball up, so would likely mean that we won even less of the long balls that we played. This in turn could mean that the opposition would spend even more time in possession, create more chances themselves and score more goals against us. Instead of losing 1-0 we could be losing by more.

But yeah, i take your point, in terms of scoring our own goals, it cant get much worse
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2017, 20:51:48 pm »

Charlton boss Karl Robinson on signing a prolific striker:

“We’ve spoken to one or two strikers. For every club from the top of the Premier League to the bottom of the conference, they are looking for a striker to score 20 goals a season.
“So, we’re fishing in the same pond as every other football club. We just hope we find the right one that’s competitive.
“We know there are four or five that we've spoken to who we like. There are two or three where we think we've been out-priced so we won't be chasing them. So we just need to get it right.
“To buy a striker that’s going to score you 25 goals, it’s going to cost £1.5m to £2m - when do you see a team in League One do that?”

Despite Charlton's problems in recent years, I'm sure they have more money than we do and they are being priced out of players. Those hoping we can bring in a 20-25 goal striker just like that are living in a fantasy. You either hope you've got a decent youth prospect, loan in a prem/championship striker and hope you've hit gold (and hope they don't recall him) or fork out serious money. I don't think any of these are going to happen, Chris Long being out most likely option.

Bayo for a start,Taylor Bristol City(only cost them 300k),Chris 0'Grady, Jay Simpson,Danny Hylton
Most of those except Taylor not up to it. What price Collins and /or Marquis now?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2017, 21:19:32 pm »

Bayo for a start,Taylor Bristol City(only cost them 300k),Chris 0'Grady, Jay Simpson,Danny Hylton
Most of those except Taylor not up to it. What price Collins and /or Marquis now?

Will be interesting to see how Marquis does with the step up this season, it's all hindsight but signing Revell over him was a daft decision. Collins has probably found his level at League 2 now, Shrewsbury were pretty quick to get rid of him after they got to League 1.
Report Spam   Logged
Aitobs

View Profile
500 Posts Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2017, 22:04:47 pm »

Anyone getting on Ricos back needs to do one! I made that mistake last season and wont be again!!

Man scored 13 goals in an awful team last year and he will get goals this year no doubt. Added to that he bring experience to the team for players like Long and Walters. If we got rid of him the crys wouls be 'we need experience to bring on the pitch' blar blar
Not just about stats. Ricos a leader , offers more bite and is more consistant. Reves goals came mainly at start if season a nd he tailed off big time.

I completely agree with both your above posts. I've always been a big fan of Rico and I continue to be- he's been a prolific goalscorer in this division since God was a boy and he buries chances when he gets them, which is more than can be said for 90% of the strikers our club has had in the last 10 years. His movement is good, he has an eye for goal and is still capable of a brilliant finish, as evidenced by his backheel against Oxford United and his wondergoal against Sheffield United last season.

Rico has been our top scorer in the league for three consecutive seasons. The experience he has is invaluable on the pitch, especially as he is captain. He will score goals for us in this campaign.

Revell on the other hand looks one-paced and lacking League One qualities. Richards is simply a far better version of Revell. Time for Revell to move on, particularly if the rumours of League Two clubs wanting to sign him are true.

The problem is more so the set up of the team rather than these two old horses being the route 'issue'.

Put it this way. Rico's strength in the main (other than scoring goals) is his link up play. In this formation and set up he's got no one to link with. So that essentially neutralises his presence. Whilst Rev's strength is his worth ethic and arial ability.At Shrewsbury, we didn't get a single cross into the box from open play. On Saturday it took almost 30 minutes to get one in, which was a rubbish delivery. The first one we did get in that was decent, Waters nearly scored from it. In the Second half, a few 'lofted balls in from the likes Of DB', but zero quality.

People should be looking beyond the forwards if they are trying to work out what the issue is. Its very early days, but the two games I've seen (both league ones) we are playing the entire game with every player behind the ball, theres no width at all, no outlet, Waters is dropping back to help the defence and our advanced forward (Rev/Rico) is totally isolated and surrounded by several defenders.

Until we either make this system more fluent or its chucked in the scrap heap (my preference, we would have a great team with a flat back 4 in my opinion) we won't score many goals.

Exactly. I'm of the opinion that we don't need any new strikers, or any other new players for that matter, bar a goalkeeper. We could have Antoine Griezmann up front for us and he would still struggle to score from the service that this formation is currently providing to our strikers. It is the formation which is causing all these issues because we clearly have a lot more quality in the squad than last season and yet can't create anything. Change to a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 and watch the results improve.

I think it was right to offer Richards a contact, but mainly so that he can coach, help and mentor the younger strikers but also give us an option when needed. The best way to use him is mainly as a sub, or if any team have big aggressive centrehalfs as he has the experience to deal with them that some of the younger players may not.

Richards has a lot of experience at this level and I can see him moving into a coaching role at the Cobblers once he decides his playing days are over. But right now, he's our best striking option in the squad.

I'm curious as to when the last time Rico or Revs actually had a clear cut chance created for them... or when a ball with any sort of quality was given to them in the box... everything is launched to them in the air and they have no choice but to flick it on or try and bring it down on the chest.

I actually feel sorry for them both. I'd hate to play up front in a team that creates the amount of chances we do for the Strikers.

Wide men that can cross a ball would be a start, and central midfielders/attacking midfielders willing to run with the ball or split a defence with a pass would be a good start.

Give them the service and they will score.

Completely right and I also feel sorry for our strikers, they often have to huff and puff for 90 minutes chasing lost causes, then they are provided with one half-chance out of the blue and are berated for not scoring it when really it's the lack of service which is the major issue.

this is the crucial bit - you can be as quick as you want (waters) - but he missed 2 sitters from inside the 6 yard box on saturday, and that inevitably cost us.

Same with Hoskins. He's always going to be the fastest player on the pitch at this level but his first touch is woeful and he can't hit the target for toffee.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2017, 22:24:52 pm »

What price Marquis now?
That would make Man Utd's Pogba buy back seem cheap.
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2017, 09:35:07 am »

Bayo and O'Grady have never hit 20 goals. Taylor had a release clause in his contract so hardly a proper gauge on the market price. Hylton is a good shout and has done well for Luton. The point is if you want a current 20 goal a season striker then it will cost you an arm and a leg.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2017, 11:21:57 am »

I agree with you.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: