The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 10:59:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The JED EYT thread!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The JED EYT thread!  (Read 6342 times)
Patmore

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2017, 20:36:30 pm »

For balance there are a couple of worthwhile points. Firstly, a lot of fans were getting carried away over the influx (and 'quality') of signings JED made. Are these players actually not very good as it turns out? Either way, the players need to take their share of accountability.
Secondly, it is a tad early to bullet someone who has just signed most of these players. It'd be tough for a manager to come in and work with a squad he has had zero influence on so soon into the season.
Sadly, half a dozen more games, a few points (maybe) and the inevitable end may lead to a season of survival. However, as he did point out post match, we have no where near one of the bigger budgets in the league (I swear some people think we are now league 1 big boys) and he sounded totally broken and gutted. Sounded as though Taylor is off anyway...
Next Saturday is huge in terms of buying some time and maybe turning an early corner. Lose that and it'll be a matter of time.

I appreciate that you are just looking for the positives / offering a different view. However, the only real excuse your search has managed to find for him is that he has not signed decent quality players.

That's a pretty damning analysis.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2017, 20:43:18 pm »

I swear some people think we are now league 1 big boys

Just to pick up on this point, I really don't think anyone is saying that but our budget us undeniably 'top half'.

We've lost the first 4 games of the season for the first time in nearly 100 years, we've had some absolute garbage in that time, certainly no comparison to our current squad. It really is not much of a defence of JED at all
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2017, 20:49:23 pm »

Many people on here have criticised me (and others) for being anti JED just because I never considered him the messiah and also because I defended Page in comparison. I also suggested weeks ago that he could well be gone by Xmas. Well, now i'd like to counter this with my current opinion which is that I think his critics are now becoming somewhat over zealous. Yes, I still think he's not the man for the job but he should be given at least 10 games before a decision is made. I know we could then have a small mountain to climb to get back into a position of safety but this just has to be done, JED has to be given a chance with the players he's brought in.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2017, 20:57:31 pm »

Many people on here have criticised me (and others) for being anti JED just because I never considered him the messiah and also because I defended Page in comparison. I also suggested weeks ago that he could well be gone by Xmas. Well, now i'd like to counter this with my current opinion which is that I think his critics are now becoming somewhat over zealous. Yes, I still think he's not the man for the job but he should be given at least 10 games before a decision is made. I know we could then have a small mountain to climb to get back into a position of safety but this just has to be done, JED has to be given a chance with the players he's brought in.

I would usually agree with you but we're 4 games in (3 if we're going League only) and I've seen nothing in the way of improvement yet. What will JED do in the next 6 or 7 games to change people's minds. He's not going to suddenly start producing exiting teams that take the game to the opposition.

He had a free ride last year because of the pigs ear Page made of things buts he's been given free reign to bring ~15 players and we've seen no improvement from the end of last season and that was with players who knew they weren't wanted and downed tools.

How many points in the next 6 or 7 games is acceptable? What if he then goes on another losing run, how many games do we have to give him then? Waiting is just delaying the inevitable.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2017, 21:02:23 pm »

Dead man walking
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest49

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2017, 22:20:44 pm »

Exactly. A lot of armchair chairmen. However bad the first 3 league defeats have been, to sack the bloke you have just given the chequebook to would be knee jerk, to the point you are really pointing the gun at KT which many are I guess.
It's horrible to watch and he needs to learn some lessons fast but if these players are as good as everyone keeps saying, he needs a while to turn it around.
P.S. I am far from being a JED symperhiser but I think it would be rash to dump him 3 games in with so many new players, who as mentioned earlier need to look at theirselves too.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobblersmad

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2017, 22:27:00 pm »

If he starts playing 442 or 451 and performances improve he can stay.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2017, 22:32:38 pm »

Exactly. A lot of armchair chairmen. However bad the first 3 league defeats have been, to sack the bloke you have just given the chequebook to would be knee jerk, to the point you are really pointing the gun at KT which many are I guess.
It's horrible to watch and he needs to learn some lessons fast but if these players are as good as everyone keeps saying, he needs a while to turn it around.
P.S. I am far from being a JED symperhiser but I think it would be rash to dump him 3 games in with so many new players, who as mentioned earlier need to look at theirselves too.

Great post - we have quite a few armchair whingers this evening on this thread and also on the match thread. It wouldn't be so bad if they were at the Valley and suffered as we had to! Its just a few of them but I suppose they are in their element right now! I agree with you we all need to calm down. I now dread the next few games tho'.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2487

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2017, 23:01:12 pm »

Part of the problem with JE is he wasn't going to get as much slack as a "new" manager this season because of the back end of last season.

I actually think he's a decent bloke from what I can tell, just a s*** football manager!
Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2017, 06:30:10 am »

Completely out of his depth tactically.
Absolutely no personality and zero connection with the supporters.
How other posters are getting paragraphs out of it beyond me.
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2017, 06:46:43 am »

At the start of last season we carried on the unbeaten run from the previous season . This season we have carried on the winless run from the previous season, this is the worst start to a season since NTFC became a league club. JED was sacked from his previous club for a bad start and poor tactics, looks like history will repeat itself.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2017, 07:05:06 am »

My guess is that JED will not survive for much longer.  To do so will require a very dramatic turn around in form and there is no sign at all of this happening despite a constant drip, drip of new players. But it is not what we think that matters but whether or not KT is ready to accept that his latest choice of manager is no better than his first.  That is going to be a very big pill for him to swallow.  It could be that the arrival of the Chinese investors means more pressure on KT and not just the manager.  We have no idea what are the expectations of the Chinese but that is a key factor in the current situation. 

If JED goes it probably means all his supporting cast also go and this all costs a lot of money, something that has to be taken into consideration for a club of our size.  Then, if JED is in the departure lounge who replaces him?  With this truly dreadful start to the season to spend several weeks looking for a successor will not be helpful.  KT will need to have a replacement lined up. I doubt very much that he has even drawn up a short list of targets.

Report Spam   Logged
Tom

View Profile
Search Mobile User Apple User
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2017, 07:07:31 am »

My guess is that JED will not survive for much longer.  To do so will require a very dramatic turn around in form and there is no sign at all of this happening despite a constant drip, drip of new players. But it is not what we think that matters but whether or not KT is ready to accept that his latest choice of manager is no better than his first.  That is going to be a very big pill for him to swallow.  It could be that the arrival of the Chinese investors means more pressure on KT and not just the manager.  We have no idea what are the expectations of the Chinese but that is a key factor in the current situation. 

If JED goes it probably means all his supporting cast also go and this all costs a lot of money, something that has to be taken into consideration for a club of our size.  Then, if JED is in the departure lounge who replaces him?  With this truly dreadful start to the season to spend several weeks looking for a successor will not be helpful.  KT will need to have a replacement lined up. I doubt very much that he has even drawn up a short list of targets.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't have a fluid shortlist of people ready for a manager leaving, or being sacked at all times.
Report Spam   Logged

lift tower

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2017, 07:31:32 am »

What will JED do in the next 6 or 7 games to change people's minds.
If we were to win the next six or seven games then it would change my mind.
Report Spam   Logged

guest2995

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2017, 07:37:58 am »

The owners and chairman have put a lot of faith in JED and given him the money to spend .
I think they will stick with him , but he has to change the game plan because it simply isn't working .
It isn't working this season , it didn't work last season and it didn't work at Gillingham either .
If also look at Kerslake . The football was dire when he was here before .
I think JED is ok but he may need some dynamism around him .
Much of our success two seasons ago came from Knill not Wilder.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2017, 08:02:40 am »

The trouble is it's not just the first 3 games is it?? What are we now without a win in 12?Huh? Also its not as if we are playing well he look like we are about to turn a corner.

The ambition of this will also be more than just stay up with investment spent, so to counter argue your counter arguement if it's left to 10 games and we only have 2/3 points, the season is gone in regards to finishing top 10.

Next weekend if massive for him in my opinion,car need to show signs he can turn the corner, if that doesn't happen and we get hammered again,  I feel he could have no complaints at being given the boot
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2017, 08:25:51 am »

JED may have signed quality players, on paper. But are they good characters when the going gets tough, I'm not so sure. Yaser Kasim didn't have the best reputation when he came, Swindon fans suggested he went missing in games and was lazy, Pierre's reaction yesterday when subbed wasn't the best, and Matty Taylor (Page signing I know) obviously has the sulks about not being selected and wants to leave. Powell, Bowditch and Crooks are so laid-back on the pitch they look disinterested, need I go on.

There is no point having good players on paper they have to be good team players. Wilder's championship team wasn't the best but it sure was team wise and working your socks off for your team mates on the pitch.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2017, 09:49:21 am »

Yesterday when we were losing 1-nill, I said to my Son, ''He seems to have the defence  right, now for the attack side of things,, THEN WE CONCEDED THREE MORE!!! JED OUT NOW!

Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2017, 09:58:29 am »

We were losing 1-0 but he's got the defence right?
Report Spam   Logged
BrixworthCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2017, 10:02:26 am »

Looking at the next two fixtures I can't see us getting one single point let alone three.

I think he could be well be gone if he loses the next two. All depends on the Chinese attitude. Either way KT needs to take some responsibility for two poor appointments. Why get somebody who failed at Gillingham, why would he then succeed at Northampton?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: