The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 09:18:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Northampton Town FC 1986/87 season

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northampton Town FC 1986/87 season  (Read 1159 times)
PNEpete

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: August 20, 2017, 11:44:17 am »

Hello everybody  Smiley I hope you don't mind me coming onto your forum as a fan from another team, but I'd really like to ask maybe some of your older fan's for some information as regard's to the formation/tactic's of your Division 4 title winning team of 1986/87. I think I better tell you as to why I'd like some info. I'm a long standing Preston North End fan & I often think back to that 86/87 (it was the first season that I'd attended most of our home game's) & remember it with such a lot of affection. North End had finished the previous season in 23rd place in the old Division 4 & the turnaround in our fortune's was quite remarkable (maybe the 'plastic pitch' helped) as we finished 2nd behind you. Yeah, looking back to that season I remember coming home in the car listening to the radio for the result's (no fancy mobile phone's/internet in them day's) & almost ALWAY'S discovered that Northampton had won & probably had scored 3 or more in doing so !!  Smiley I remember quite a few of Graham Carr's team .. Peter Gleasure in goal, Keith McPherson & Russ Wilcox (PNE had Russ in our defence with David Moyes in our 1995/96 team & what a proper centre half he was. He was no nonsense, great in the air & strong in the tackle, a necessity for success in the lower league's) as centre halves, I'm struggling in your midfield (was there a lad called Warren Donald & maybe an Adie Mann ??). Was it a 3 man or a 4 man midfield ?? I vividly recall your prolific front player's though. Richard Hill (was he a wideman as he wore number 11 ??) scored over 30, Ian Benjamin scored 20 ?? (was he a target man ??) & Trevor Morley was just class (was he a link man ??). Yeah, you were an incredible force that season & as a result, I've always had a soft spot for your club.

I'm sorry to have gone on (I do tend to ramble) & I very much Thank you for your time in reading this & I'd so enjoy/be very grateful for any thought's on your team & it's formation/tactic's from a very special year in both of our club's history  Smiley

Take Care everybody, the very best of luck for this season & Up The Cobbler's !!!!!!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest3063

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 12:21:12 pm »

Hi PNEpete

We played 4-4-2 that season. Richard Hill played in midfield alongside Warren Donald, Aidy Mann played at times. Trevor Morley up front with Ian Benjamin, who linked the midfield with the attack.

Great times, if only we played 4-4-2 now.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 12:41:24 pm »

Dave Gilbert in Midfield as well. Rambo playing full back. Hills goals coming from Midfield, nearly always 4.4.2
One tactic I loved, when the opposition had a corner, we used to send 3 players up front. One in the centre circle one out on each wing.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
PNEpete

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 12:44:26 pm »

Hi there Teacher's Pet & Thank You for your very kind reply/info on your team & it's tactic's. I've had a look at old Youtube clip's of your team mate & saw that you got player's forward & overpowered the opposition. I bet it was a season to remember for you & just show's what can be achieved on a low budget if you've got player's with huge desire/camaraderie. I also remember your kit from that season & it was a belter. Yeah, happy memories from time's gone by TP Smiley Look after yourself, Thanks again for your help & I really hope that you have a good season Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
PNEpete

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 12:51:33 pm »

Hello tcobb Smiley Thank You for your help mate. I really appreciate it. Yeah, as I said to Teacher's Pet, I saw NTFC's 1986/87 best of clip on Youtube & it really made me smile in affection for day's gone by. I loved how your crowd was standing so close to the pitch on the cricket field side & just how committed your team was. It was obvious that they all got on well & how much they enjoyed playing for you, Thank s for telling me of you leaving 3 men upfield on defending corner's (that will help me recreate your 86/87 tactic's on FM17 a real treat). I often think that leaving men upfield at set pieces makes a defending set piece 50-50 in that now you can turn it into a goal scoring chance. All the best tcobb & Thank You for your help Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 12:53:03 pm »

What was also vital was that the manager, Graham Carr, had been in non-league for a while and knew all of the best players at that level, so signed them.

We were possibly the first team to mine that totally untouched resource and were very innovative in that sense. But of course the genie was out of the bottle after that and it's a market which has attracted attention ever since.
Report Spam   Logged

there's only one Robbie Curtis
PNEpete

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 13:04:35 pm »

Hi brickowski Smiley I hope you're well mate. Yeah, your manager at the time Graham Carr was very much an equal to your player's in that successful season. Sorry to keep harping on about Preston, but I remember that our manager at the time, the late great John McGrath decided that he'd put a lot of experienced league players into our team (David Brown in goal's, Sam Allardyce, Mickey Bennett in defence, Les Chapman, Oshor William's in midfield & John Thomas & then Frank Worthington in attack) & we played a 532. In away games we very much sat back & countered with the pacy players we had, whereas your Northampton team just went forward, forward & then even further in your style. Yeah, Graham Carr obviously knew the non league scene & did fantastic for you mate. Maybe that could be the way to go again for NTFC. Going for young hungry players with a point to prove. All the best brickowski Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
ntfc01

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 13:33:28 pm »

Cant believe no one has mentioned Eddie mcgoldrick on the wing yet, used to love watching him in that team
Report Spam   Logged
PNEpete

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 14:08:31 pm »

Hi ntfc01 Smiley I hope you're OK & having a good day. Aye, I remember Eddie McGoldrick, a little fella with a moustache. I think he played wide right. He also played for Crystal Palace & then Man City. Yeah, he was tidy player on the wing. Thank You for all of your help. I know a lot more about your 86/87 team & how it functioned now Smiley ps .. I've just sent off for the 'Champagne Cobbler's' book. A very kind Northampton fan recommended it to me. Top lad's you are from a Top club Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
mr3teas

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 15:03:58 pm »

Our training at the time was top notch our players were that fit that the aim was to beat teams in the last 20 mins as the opposition tired
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 15:22:05 pm »

Dave Gilbert in Midfield as well. Rambo playing full back. Hills goals coming from Midfield, nearly always 4.4.2
One tactic I loved, when the opposition had a corner, we used to send 3 players up front. One in the centre circle one out on each wing.

Yes, Dave Gilbert was a great little player. Played left midfield/wing, great crosses into the box I seem to remember. Oh for someone like that now. Graham (Rambo) Reed was certainly a committed full back, I remember some great challenges.
Report Spam   Logged
Benji

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 15:39:27 pm »

Always thought that team had a couple of extra gears in the locker that weren't needed, sometimes it seemed they almost needed to go a couple of goals down for them to start playing and get those inevitable 3 or 4 goals.
They also had it won very early and crawled over the line before completely taking their foot of the gas over the last few months otherwise they could have posted some really great numbers.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2934

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 15:42:02 pm »

Fuck knows what system but that was the only season I remembering laughing at opposition scoring, I think it was Lincoln on a Sunday. I'm sure they scored first and laughed seeing their fans going mental on the kop thinking they were onto a shock. I said to my mate now they've f***ed it, seeing Rambo's face glaring at everyone, next thing I can remember is Richard Hill walking through them as if they didn't exist to level. 3-1 Fuck off back to Lincoln.

Still a league above Wilders crop.

Wasn't there some from Preston is the Hotel for the 6-0 or am I senile now?
Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 17:49:05 pm »

Don't forget my personal favourite player Phil Chard. I think he wore every number shirt that season (obviously there were no squad numbers) and played in a number of positions RB LB CM RM LM CB and possibly up front can't remember, he certainly did later in his career here. Went on to manage the club in his second spell and appeared in THAT game at Shrewsbury where he scored a crucial goal.
INHO true club legend.
Does our Preston friend know about the recent reunion?

https://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/2017/may/reunion_report/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 21:29:31 pm by pattcobb » Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
double row row 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 18:57:47 pm »

Hello pete,if I remember correctly jack charlton when manager of the republic of irland,said he based his tactics on the said Northampton town team.i can personally recall how quick the whole team sprited to the half way line when the keeper had the ball in his hands,thus rendering the opposition off side countless times.pete can also recall your team under mr moyes coming to sixfields on a Tuesday night,with a full end of supporters credit to them.
Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 21:34:08 pm »

Worth a watch a quick musical montage of that season.
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: