The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:54:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

NEWS: Matt Taylor leaves Cobblers and signs for Swindon Town- BBC Wiltshire

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEWS: Matt Taylor leaves Cobblers and signs for Swindon Town- BBC Wiltshire  (Read 9441 times)
Quintonside

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 12:44:12 pm »

Got something for him? You are joking! I am assuming we paid up a chunk of his contract, maybe the difference between what we were going to pay him til the end of the season and what Swindon will pay him.

Will be exactly that!
Report Spam   Logged

Member since 2013, 4 years trying to unlock the account and find password. Back in full swing May 2017
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 13:35:04 pm »

As a 35 (nearly 36) year old, he didn't want to sit on the bench...can't blame him really, we are a long time retired.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Parklands Cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 10:48:13 am »

Just had a look on Swindon site after there defeat on Saturday and poor old Matty getting a lot of stick the fact that his legs are gone and he is to slow for Div 2.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 11:04:20 am »

Quote from their forum:

"And whilst I'm concerned about Flitcroft's judgement in bringing Taylor in (or was that a Power signing - we were linked with him as a possible player/manager during the back end of last season) based upon on his first two outings for us he should do the decent thing.

His legs have clearly abandoned him. That's not his fault, it's merely part of the human ageing process and I admire him hugely for stepping down the leagues to continue playing the game - that's proper passion that's sadly missing in the game nowadays, but the guy simply cant run.

Am I the only one who actually feels sorry for him?"
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
fwalden

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 11:05:39 am »

Just had a look on Swindon site after there defeat on Saturday and poor old Matty getting a lot of stick the fact that his legs are gone and he is to slow for Div 2.

Just read the forum. Combination of "Taylor - a bag of w@nk", "His legs have gone" and this...

"Taylor has managed to milk a top level footballing career out of his set piece ability and a historic dirth of left footed talent in the country, in my opinion.  He's done well for himself and the fact he is playing at L2 level this late in that career is testament to someone who has a desire to play the game, which is often lacking in the multi million pound era.

For us he is a waste of a wage I'm afraid.  No mobility, so relying solely on the left foot which in truth was never matched with a good footballing talent.  Already an odd choice given our style of play, he has shown enough in the 2 games to suggest he will be a bystander at best."

Probably one of JED's better decisions to clear a decent wage off the books...
Report Spam   Logged

Frederick Ingram "Fanny" Walden (1 March 1888 – 3 May 1949) was an English professional footballer who played on the right-wing for Northampton Town, Tottenham Hotspur and at international level for England during the 1910s and 1920s.
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2017, 12:22:19 pm »

Reach for the Skies...old Matty Bader found wanting in his Hawker Hurricane!  Grin

Footie has moved on to Typhoons old chap...Harvey is a thing of yester year!
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2017, 14:22:09 pm »

He got hooked after only 45 minutes on Saturday....it's fair to say the fans are not impressed!!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2017, 16:49:19 pm »

He got hooked after only 45 minutes on Saturday....it's fair to say the fans are not impressed!!
After a 4-1 home defeat to erm...Barnet, Matty Taylor is the least of their ire!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2017, 18:02:44 pm »

I actually think this is quite a sad story and whilst I think the analysis of the current state is probably true but to suggest his whole career was based on being left footed and his delivery of a dead ball is wrong - as a youngster at Luton he was clearly a very gifted footballer and certainly my trotter fans rated him very highly.

Big thanks Matt - we won't see some of those free kick goals many times in a season - very special even if the legs were starting to go.
Report Spam   Logged
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2017, 18:21:17 pm »

And Keshi Anderson left the field after 66 minutes!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2017, 20:53:14 pm »

I actually think this is quite a sad story and whilst I think the analysis of the current state is probably true but to suggest his whole career was based on being left footed and his delivery of a dead ball is wrong - as a youngster at Luton he was clearly a very gifted footballer and certainly my trotter fans rated him very highly.

Big thanks Matt - we won't see some of those free kick goals many times in a season - very special even if the legs were starting to go.
Yes, joking aside...loved Matty Taylor. Loved the song prior to one of those free kicks! Undeniably lost it at Shrewsbury though if not before!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2235

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2017, 21:21:42 pm »

Quote from their forum:

"And whilst I'm concerned about Flitcroft's judgement in bringing Taylor in (or was that a Power signing - we were linked with him as a possible player/manager during the back end of last season) based upon on his first two outings for us he should do the decent thing.

His legs have clearly abandoned him. That's not his fault, it's merely part of the human ageing process and I admire him hugely for stepping down the leagues to continue playing the game - that's proper passion that's sadly missing in the game nowadays, but the guy simply cant run.

Am I the only one who actually feels sorry for him?"

Please don't feel sorry for a millionaire footballer, save your pity for something more worthwhile
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 05:20:13 am »

The BBC are reporting that Matt Taylor has left the Cobblers and has signed for Swindon Town.

https://twitter.com/BBCWiltsSport/status/899674735050719232

News yet to be confirmed by either of the clubs, but this looks like a reliable source.
If I was a pro player and whilst someone still wanted me damn right I would keep playing and living the dream. As someone else said you're a long time retired and fair play to anyone who has the motivation and desire to keep playing and IMO they are a credit to themselves and their profession. The problem is with the half witted managers who can't see the wood for the trees and pick players on reputation and are seduced by what they used to be. Matt Taylor also IMO couldn't keep up with the game last year and was more often than not a bystander. Most at Sixfields could see it, but that departed clown Justin Thedugout couldn't. If you keep contradicting the bleeding obvious on the basis that you must know best, won't be told and are on some deluded power trip you deserve everything you get. Add Matt Taylor to 3-5-2, R & R upfront, playing without authentic wide men having no leader on the pitch and all the other stuff JE wouldn't take onboard because he had to prove he was right. But none of that is the fault of Matt Taylor including being on the team sheet.
Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 05:21:04 am »

If I was a pro player and whilst someone still wanted me damn right I would keep playing and living the dream. As someone else said you're a long time retired and fair play to anyone who has the motivation and desire to keep playing and IMO they are a credit to themselves and their profession. The problem is with the half witted managers who can't see the wood for the trees and pick players on reputation and are seduced by what they used to be. Matt Taylor also IMO couldn't keep up with the game last year and was more often than not a bystander. Most at Sixfields could see it, but that departed clown Justin Thedugout couldn't. If you keep contradicting the bleeding obvious on the basis that you must know best, won't be told and are on some deluded power trip you deserve everything you get. Add Matt Taylor to 3-5-2, R & R upfront, playing without authentic wide men having no leader on the pitch and all the other stuff JE wouldn't take onboard because he had to prove he was right. But none of that is the fault of Matt Taylor including being on the team sheet.
I kinda agree with this. I think JED sowed the seed for his sacking by picking the team he did against Shrewsbury not just Taylor, but Bowditch, Rivo. Seemed to me a new dawn was denied as he picked all his mates.
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 07:56:12 am »

You clearly have a problem with Taylor who scored 8 goals plus numerous assists which contributed to our surviving in L1 last season. If you are going to criticise a player it is advisable to comment on a few good points like the winner he got at AFC which probably ensured our L1 survival. Your portrayal of Taylor comes across as a one sided opinion.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:00:18 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3114

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 09:24:06 am »

You clearly have a problem with Taylor who scored 8 goals plus numerous assists which contributed to our surviving in L1 last season. If you are going to criticise a player it is advisable to comment on a few good points like the winner he got at AFC which probably ensured our L1 survival. Your portrayal of Taylor comes across as a one sided opinion.
You might be right. Got a bit frustrated as JE wouldn't swing the axe when we went game after game without winning. Class with a dead ball, no doubt about that. Just felt that when the ball was with the competition (which lets face it was a lot) he hadn't got the legs to help get control of midfield. Not what you need when you were on the run we were on. That's my view anyway.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 10:00:06 am »

You might be right. Got a bit frustrated as JE wouldn't swing the axe when we went game after game without winning. Class with a dead ball, no doubt about that. Just felt that when the ball was with the competition (which lets face it was a lot) he hadn't got the legs to help get control of midfield. Not what you need when you were on the run we were on. That's my view anyway.

On reflection probably correct view. After Salop JE did well to move him on so quickly. For me that coolly taken penalty at AFC  meant a lot to NTFC.
Report Spam   Logged

DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 12:24:02 pm »

On reflection probably correct view. After Salop JE did well to move him on so quickly. For me that coolly taken penalty at AFC  meant a lot to NTFC.

A better example would have been his brilliant winner versus Port Vale. Very intuitive.

Im struggling to cite a successful penalty as a reason to gloss over a players deficiencies. Otherwise we may as well bring Abdul Osman and Gorre back.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2017, 12:31:25 pm »

A better example would have been his brilliant winner versus Port Vale. Very intuitive.

Im struggling to cite a successful penalty as a reason to gloss over a players deficiencies. Otherwise we may as well bring Abdul Osman and Gorre back.

There was a lot hanging on it. Keep on struggling tho'.
Report Spam   Logged

super-si

View Profile
500 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2017, 14:18:49 pm »

Thankfully, not all footballers are from the same mold! Sure, he wasn't keen on tackling, but he did show more grit later in the season than some others in the team. Yes, his experience and left foot are his reason for success, but did anyone else in the squad last year show themeselves to be that mlti-talented that they desreved to take his place? I think not!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: