The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 20:20:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Stadium Entry / Security

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stadium Entry / Security  (Read 1418 times)
guest170

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 29, 2017, 06:52:20 am »

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but does anyone know (Trust?) why the levels of entry security have increased so much this season?
I appreciate that there have been a number of attacks on sporting events globally and can partly accept and understand the frisking but people having drinks confiscated at the turnstile on a very hot day (Saturday) was surprising, especially considering the cost of drinks inside the stadium.
If stewards are worried about chemicals being brought in then surely a taste test would be enough?

Is it a national / FL thing or a local policy?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

forever cobb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 07:13:36 am »

Yup its understandable the increased security in stadiums that has happened because of recent events, the taking of drinks seems a shame but if you read the terms and conditions on the outside of the stadium [when queuing to get in ] it does say you can't take food and drink in. Now as the food inside the stadium is now 'in house' its going to enforce this. I must admit having to wait 2 hours for drink is a pain but i'm sure I can manage not to eat. take an empty bottle with you fill it up with water from the wonderful clean toilets!  Ugh.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
Signature 1000 Posts Combination
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 07:51:19 am »

The thing that got me was that v Fleetwood they warned us there would be a 100% search and to arrive early only to find no search happened, but v Posh there was no warning , a bigger crowd and a 100% search ensued. There must have been a lot of people outside the ground who did not get in before kick off.

A little bit of consistency is all I ask for.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End Grand National sweepstake winner 2024
Rach

View Profile
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 08:13:48 am »

They did say it would be a 100% search policy again.

If bottles of soft drink are sealed, can't see too much harm in taking them on.

At least they don't take the bottle tops of just in case you through them on the pitch!! That was about 10 years ago I think? I'm sure the bottle itself would have caused more damage if you were insistent on throwing something?!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 08:23:39 am »

At least they don't take the bottle tops of just in case you through them on the pitch!! That was about 10 years ago I think? I'm sure the bottle itself would have caused more damage if you were insistent on throwing something?!

I don't think it was a case of stopping people throwing bottle tops on the pitch. More a case of the plastic bottle not being such a good weapon to throw with the bottle top removed.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 11:58:56 am »

I'm pretty sure it's to do with people treading on plastic bottles rather than throwing them; a dropped plastic bottle will just squash when trodden on if it has no lid whereas a sealed/full bottle would turn someone's ankle.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest1269

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 13:09:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's to do with people treading on plastic bottles rather than throwing them; a dropped plastic bottle will just squash when trodden on if it has no lid whereas a sealed/full bottle would turn someone's ankle.

Good theory & entirely logical but the original security rationale was definitely to minimize risk of a full bottle being used as a weapon to be thrown - slightly flawed because I can think a number of ways you can hide a standard fit bottle lid on your person  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 13:12:27 pm »

Good theory & entirely logical but the original security rationale was definitely to minimize risk of a full bottle being used as a weapon to be thrown - slightly flawed because I can think a number of ways you can hide a standard fit bottle lid on your person  Grin

Some years back, I think it was in the Calderwood days, one of the group I was with asked the catering staff why he couldn't keep the lid and he was told it was due to the bottle not collapsing if stood on which could cause someone to fall.
Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 15:08:40 pm »

My memory of this is that it was brought in after one of the play off finals (first one I think). Wembley did it to stop people throwing bottles on to the pitch and we decided to follow suit
Report Spam   Logged
Cordwainer2

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 15:43:25 pm »

I had to empty my pockets and took my bottle of water out of my pocket. He frisked me then I put it back in and went in. I did wonder.
There were only male stewards doing it, one woman rightly refused to be frisked. They had to phone for a female steward. Others told me that women and girls were being let in without being frisked. It seemed a bit going through the motions to me.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 15:56:34 pm »

This.
Report Spam   Logged
Quintonside

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 16:17:56 pm »

does this mean, if i buy a bottle of Fanta at half time they'll take the lid off and give it to me?
Report Spam   Logged

Member since 2013, 4 years trying to unlock the account and find password. Back in full swing May 2017
lodgeadam

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 16:20:04 pm »

does this mean, if i buy a bottle of Fanta at half time they'll take the lid off and give it to me?

No, because people only tread on bottles bought outside the ground.
Report Spam   Logged

--- 'Shoe Army' is THE worst chant ever! --- Twitter @lodgeadam
BrixworthCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 21:29:20 pm »

It's the worst security check I've ever seen, they ask you what you have in your pockets and don't question what you say!!
Report Spam   Logged
Macc Cobbler

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 21:40:40 pm »

Complete waste of time, just antagonising the fans.

The sight of elderly supporters and young children being "searched" is not something I want to see outside our stadium
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 21:56:17 pm by Macc Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 21:45:31 pm »

The sight of elderly supporters and young children being "frisked" is not something I want to see minsoutside our stadium

Gotta agree. If they are going to frisk 8 year old girls they need to employ some less scary looking, middle aged fellas.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 21:50:17 pm »

The sight of elderly supporters and young children being "searched" is not something I want to see outside our stadium

I got told for both the Fleetwood and Posh games that my 11 year old lad could not be searched as he was a child?

They made him turn his cap around on Saturday, but other than that he hasn't been searched at all.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 22:33:17 pm »

I got told for both the Fleetwood and Posh games that my 11 year old lad could not be searched as he was a child?

They made him turn his cap around on Saturday, but other than that he hasn't been searched at all.

Nobody in our queue complained, it was all relatively civilised! In fact it was good humoured. The only observation I would make is they should have two doing the search and a woman security officer further down the line checking the ladies etc. This would speed things up.
Are all the grunts coming from posters not actually there or genuine complaints?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest170

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 08:24:02 am »

Nobody in our queue complained, it was all relatively civilised! In fact it was good humoured. The only observation I would make is they should have two doing the search and a woman security officer further down the line checking the ladies etc. This would speed things up.
Are all the grunts coming from posters not actually there or genuine complaints?
My post wasn't really a complaint about the searching, its happened sporadically at away games mostly for years but seems to be happening a lot more around the country now, did anyone see the issues involving Grimsby fans?! I haven't been to any of the away games this season, did it happen at those games? Is it a football league / FA directing thing?

My biggest issue was the taking of drinks which seems excessive to me.

Also agree need better directions to the stewards on searching women and children as a male steward tried to search a women and girl which they refused. The steward is only doing his job but maybe needs better information on what can and cannot happen as I would imagine the clubs safe guarding policy will prevent a male steward from searching a female child

Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 08:35:58 am »

Also agree need better directions to the stewards on searching women and children as a male steward tried to search a women and girl which they refused. The steward is only doing his job but maybe needs better information on what can and cannot happen as I would imagine the clubs safe guarding policy will prevent a male steward from searching a female child

I'd have thought that too but a male steward insisted on searching my 12 year old daughter on Saturday. He didn't pat her down or anything (which I wouldn't have allowed) but he did check the pockets on the fleece she was wearing. To be fair to the guy, he looked massively uncomfortable about doing it, so I think it's in everyone's interest for the club to sort out what their policy is on this.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: