The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 11:17:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Welcome Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink  (Read 18767 times)
guest2235

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2017, 12:45:29 pm »

Here's the quote.. “I’ve found out a lot about my players (on Saturday),” he admitted. “Everybody is playing for their future, it’s as simple as that.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2017, 12:46:47 pm »

Agreed but if Page, JED and now JFH have all lost it in less than 12 months it suggests some of the players are wrong uns ....

A lot of the players have only been here 5 minutes. There must be some big egos in the squad, especially on the fringes.
Maybe they are struggling to relate to JFH who has spent most of his (playing) career at a totally different level. There could even be traces of jealousy as opposed to respect. Who knows but it isn't working at the moment?!

I have taken so much **** at work today that it has made Saturday's horror show seem even worse! I just said it was the red card, people don't look into detail...
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2017, 13:49:11 pm »

This was one of the strangest things about saturday.

When we got tonked by BR at their place all our 'anger' was directed at Page.
Embarrassed by Posh and our anger was aimed at Edinburgh.

The anger wasn't going to be directed at Jimmy already and the players normally get off scott free from the same sort of anger so it was pretty much a stunned silence. (until the black humour crept back in)
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2017, 15:09:12 pm »

This was one of the strangest things about saturday.

When we got tonked by BR at their place all our 'anger' was directed at Page.
Embarrassed by Posh and our anger was aimed at Edinburg
The anger wasn't going to be directed at Jimmy already and the players normally get off scott free from the same sort of anger so it was pretty much a stunned silence. (until the black humour crept back in)

Where I was sitting all the abuse/advice was aimed at the players, particularly Revell, Buchs, Richards and believe it or not a few harsh words directed to Ingram!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
ROKERITE

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2017, 17:22:12 pm »

Agreed but if Page, JED and now JFH have all lost it in less than 12 months it suggests some of the players are wrong uns ....

It certainly does. Hasselbaink showed at Burton that he's a decent manager and (to reply to another poster's comment) he is not too Billy Big-time to manage and empathise with players at this level. When a squad raise their game for the first few matches under successive managers then revert to rubbish it's the squad that needs radical surgery, not another manager who needs showing the door. New players can quickly be infected if there's a poisonous core amongst the existing squad.
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2017, 18:40:14 pm »

Is there a poisonous core?
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
guest2995

« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2017, 12:38:19 pm »

I Think JFH has got away very lightly with Saturdays performance .
Why did he select Revell and Rico together when it has never worked .
Why did he not change it at half time when we could have been 4 or 5 down .
Why did he wait until we were 3 down to change it .
Why doesn’t he rate Waters
What’s going on with Hanley and Smith .
I’m not calling for his head but questions need answering
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2017, 12:55:02 pm »

...........I’m not calling for his head but questions need answering

Your undisguised motives in lampooning JFH for Saturday’s defeat is the idiots guide to clueless opinion.
JFH played one player truly out of position, but that didn’t account for all of the 6 goal loss.
It’s time you understood the simple fact that it was players individual performances that lost us the game. Not the system or even playing Revell OoP. Your continued and unjustified criticism of JFH is pointless.
Report Spam   Logged

threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2017, 12:57:12 pm »

Your undisguised motives in lampooning JFH for Saturday’s defeat is the idiots guide to clueless opinion.
JFH played one player truly out of position, but that didn’t account for all of the 6 goal loss.
It’s time you understood the simple fact that it was players individual performances that lost us the game. Not the system or even playing Revell OoP. Your continued and unjustified criticism of JFH is pointless.

but we blamed page when the players didn't perform, and JED when they didn't perform..................but not JFH when they don't perform!?

i agree with you - the only constant over those periods have been the players - all be it different ones.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2017, 13:22:49 pm »

but we blamed page when the players didn't perform, and JED when they didn't perform..................but not JFH when they don't perform!?

i agree with you - the only constant over those periods have been the players - all be it different ones.

Page & JED had months more tenure behind them than JFH who has had just a few weeks. More to the point up until Saturday performances had improved although a win remained elusive.
Overtime I thought that the tactics Of both previous managers was severely criticised?
Report Spam   Logged

guest170

« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2017, 13:25:00 pm »

It is a strange one and I must admit I put the majority of the blame with the players for Saturdays mess

Page got the blame for getting rid of the title winning team according to some and had a tough act to follow

At the end of last season JED got some criticism but not a huge amount as he has the excuse of it not being his team. He got the blame at the start of the season as he had spent a lot of money, on players that are good on paper but didn't perform. He also stuck with a system that we could see wasn't working with players we all believed were better than the system being played

Can only assume the same logic now applies to JFH that we know the team isn't his, we have a long list of injuries etc. In the new year when he has opportunity to make a few changes in January and hopefully a few of the injured come back then a lot more focus will be on him
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2017, 13:36:33 pm »

So not a constant at all then?

When a squad raise their game for the first few matches under successive managers then revert to rubbish it's the squad that needs radical surgery

Couple of points on this. 1) The squad did have major surgery in the summer 2) Perhaps the last two managers got lucky by playing poor teams in the early part of their reign? Swindon and Coventry for example were awful against us in JEDs early games.

It’s time you understood the simple fact that it was players individual performances that lost us the game. Not the system or even playing Revell OoP.

I mostly agree with this part but I don't think you can discount JFH's role. In my view JFH tactics, team selection and substitutions caused us to lose the game, the players frankly unprofessional performance led to that loss being 6-0 rather than 1 or 2-0.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2017, 14:46:12 pm »

I mostly agree with this part but I don't think you can discount JFH's role. In my view JFH tactics, team selection and substitutions caused us to lose the game, the players frankly unprofessional performance led to that loss being 6-0 rather than 1 or 2-0.

In my brief comments I hinted that JFH was not wholly without blame! If we had played to the same standard as performed against MK/R'ham for example we may not have even lost. We will never know as both yours and mine opinions are based on suppositions. However I still believe that the teams performance on the day taking all factors into considerations was poor, very poor.  As a sop though, I also feel that BR got a bit lucky as the ball went their way to the extent that they looked a fine and underrated side. A brief look at their web site suggests they have been poor away. No doubt this Sat may/will tell us more.
Report Spam   Logged

guest48

« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2017, 15:11:30 pm »

I think that JFH did get let off lightly on Saturday. It wasn't just R & R up front, the whole midfield was extremely lightweight, Grimes IS a good player but he's no midfield anchor, Foley is not match fit, Bowditch was good for the first 15 minutes and Hanley tried but the 4 of them hardly won a tackle and the amount of time that we gave the Gas was criminal.
   With our recent scoring record, as soon as the second went in, it should have been damage limitation and shut up shop, not become more open and invite them to run straight through us.
  Is Jason Taylor getting a game wherever he is, we need someone like him to shore up the midfield.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2017, 18:03:00 pm »

I think that JFH did get let off lightly on Saturday. It wasn't just R & R up front, the whole midfield was extremely lightweight, Grimes IS a good player but he's no midfield anchor, Foley is not match fit, Bowditch was good for the first 15 minutes and Hanley tried but the 4 of them hardly won a tackle and the amount of time that we gave the Gas was criminal.

I think JFH 'got off lightly' because it's still fairly early in his reign and this is the first time we've conceded more than 2 goals under him.

Personally, I disagree with those blaming the players. The time to criticise players is when the manager's tactics and selection make perfect sense but the team loses due to individual errors, indiscipline or a general lack of effort. In this case, for the first time in his reign, JFH got the team selection badly wrong; 4-2-3-1 is a good match for our squad but not with the players he selected. Even if Rico, Revell and the midfielders had played out of their skins I'm pretty sure we would have lost purely on the basis that as Barton says our midfield was 'extremely lightweight'.

Those conspiracy theorists looking for some darker issues are way off the mark IMO. What we need is:

1. The manager to realise that Rico and Revell do not work together up front. (They don't work that well on their own either anymore, but that's another story)
2. The manager to realise that you need to play something resembling a defensive midfield enforcer in order to get results at this level
3. The manager to select the best team from the limited resources currently available and put a solid defensive shape above all other priorities (to be fair JFH had pretty much been doing this until the Brizzle game)

None of this is rocket science. If JFH had put Poole in instead of Bowditch and Waters instead of Revell I'm pretty sure we would have got a draw out of that game, or at least the scoreline would have been a lot narrower.

Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2017, 19:20:53 pm »

“ continued and unjustified criticism “ .... prat ...
I have never continually criticised JFH at all , and have openly criticised individual players on other threads .
The fact is , JFH has some considerable responsibility for saturdays defeat , as illustrated by other contributors on this thread .
It could have been averted by the manager to some degree .
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2017, 21:00:36 pm »

Been giving this a lot of thought since the weekend (who hasn’t). IMO the shocking performance was caused by too many problems at once, creating a sort of perfect storm type scenario. Unbalanced squad, far too many injuries, poor tactical decisions, loss of form, players going awol, poor team selection (in part enforced), lack of an experienced leader on the pitch and Bristol turning up and playing out of their boots. Anyway, the point of the post (thank god) is that JFH is probably only responsible for a couple and even then you could argue this was only in part due to circumstance. In any event mistakes happen with every manager, and Jimmys have been magnified by the scale of defeat. But it’s only one game and only 3 points lost, so not much different to 0-1. The problem with Page and Edinburgh was they kept repeating the same mistakes against all evidence and logic over and over again. I really don’t think JFH will do that.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 10, 2017, 21:30:19 pm »

“ continued and unjustified criticism “ .... prat ...
I have never continually criticised JFH at all , and have openly criticised individual players on other threads .
The fact is , JFH has some considerable responsibility for saturdays defeat , as illustrated by other contributors on this thread .
It could have been averted by the manager to some degree .

...........I’m not calling for his head but questions need answering

Of course you are not Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 21:33:45 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

guest170

« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2017, 06:53:27 am »

Been giving this a lot of thought since the weekend (who hasn’t). IMO the shocking performance was caused by too many problems at once, creating a sort of perfect storm type scenario. Unbalanced squad, far too many injuries, poor tactical decisions, loss of form, players going awol, poor team selection (in part enforced), lack of an experienced leader on the pitch and Bristol turning up and playing out of their boots. Anyway, the point of the post (thank god) is that JFH is probably only responsible for a couple and even then you could argue this was only in part due to circumstance. In any event mistakes happen with every manager, and Jimmys have been magnified by the scale of defeat. But it’s only one game and only 3 points lost, so not much different to 0-1. The problem with Page and Edinburgh was they kept repeating the same mistakes against all evidence and logic over and over again. I really don’t think JFH will do that.
Generally agree with this and you always have 'bad days'. The key is how they respond and to make sure it is a one off and they perform better and start to pick up results. One thing however that is a potential issue above the 3 points is the impact on goal difference. -14 is going to be hard to recover over the season so need to make sure we get enough points that it doesn't matter
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2017, 07:21:16 am »

Of course you are not Roll Eyes

Stop trying to manipulate what people say to suit your own prejudices and arguments .
I categorically don’t want JFH sacked or anything like it . I actually think he is a good choice for us and has done a reasonable job so far .
All I’m saying is that he , along with some of the players takes some of the blame for last Saturday .
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: