The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 01:07:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Doncaster Rovers (H) 9th September

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doncaster Rovers (H) 9th September  (Read 11451 times)
TownOwl

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2017, 12:14:54 pm »

At one point one of his staff obviously pointed out that the subs he wanted to bring on weren't ready to come on. He wheeled around and bellowed "WELL GET THEM READY THEN!" at the top of his voice. It was one of the most unprofessional things I've seen a manager do.

Well censored as there was a F word in there too! I actually thought it was at the 4th official for not having the board ready. Either way, very disrespectful.

Just a few comments haven't big read the above...
I thought Revell looked closer to his best of this time last year.
I still thinks Crooks is unfairly criticised by some, but needs to sort his fitness out.
I thought Smith was brilliant for the first 20seconds or so, but didn't see much after that to warrant MoM but hopefully it gives the lad confidence.
Pierre's defending worried me sometimes. Possibly a confidence thing. Taylor is better defensively but Pierre is much better playing out.

Overall... How refreshing it was! 3 points more than I expected, 2 points more than I hoped. Now to build on it. Might need some changes to play that high press again on Tuesday.
Report Spam   Logged

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes
guest3063

« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2017, 12:30:28 pm »

I agree about Ingram - it looks like he's going to be a key man for us this season, it's just going to be a nervous time after every qpr match checking if either of their keepers gets injured as he has an automatic recall.

No, they don't. But they can recall him in January.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3023

« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2017, 12:37:21 pm »

Thought Cobbs were the better side in the first half, but the game began to shift more in their favour after they bought Alfie May on and by the last 15 minutes it was backs-to-the-wall stuff. As others have said, as the fitness levels improve we should be finishing games much more strongly.

Ingram looks very good, already get the sense he will prove to be an upgrade on Smith. I thought Grimes was probably MOM. My feeling was that Smith started the match as he is a natural left footer and would give the team more balance, and it was this which ultimately led to the goal.

Not seen it mentioned, but it was a definite penalty in the second half, the defender was on his arse and when Waters tried to walk round him to get the ball he just moved his body and legs in the way to impede him. One poor decision among many from the ref/linesman who seemed to be fine with their players holding Revell/Crooks whenever the ball was in the air. At one point their player wrapped his arm around Crooks' neck with the ref right on the spot, but he still didn't give it.

An all round massively improved performance however which I expect will be built on as JFH gets more time with the team on the training ground.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2017, 12:57:27 pm »

No, they don't. But they can recall him in January.

Good stuff, I missed that.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2017, 13:21:13 pm »

Concerning that we only had one shot on target (the goal) all game against a poor Doncaster team. Hopefully more to come on Tuesday!
I hadn't realized we only had one shot on target, as you say early days and the manager will have to work with what he has until January.
I'm surprised you think Doncaster were poor, I'll be happy if we are as competitive as that next Saturday at Roots Hall.
Report Spam   Logged
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2017, 15:04:21 pm »

Concerning that we only had one shot on target (the goal) all game against a poor Doncaster team. Hopefully more to come on Tuesday!
To be fair, there's not really that much JFH could have done in such a short time. The differences made were 1) that we finally (and very importantly) have a goalkeeper - which I'm not sure Sir James had much to do with, and 2) playing people in their preferred positions - which I think he had everything to do with. So there's probably more fluent performances to come once he gets his ideas across.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2017, 17:38:51 pm »

Well censored as there was a F word in there too! I actually thought it was at the 4th official for not having the board ready. Either way, very disrespectful.

Yeah, I thought there was too but I wasn't certain so gave him the benefit of the doubt. It was definitely aimed at his own people though as it was yelled straight into the dugout, but as you say, it doesn't matter much either way.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2017, 18:04:12 pm »

Yeah, I thought there was too but I wasn't certain so gave him the benefit of the doubt. It was definitely aimed at his own people though as it was yelled straight into the dugout, but as you say, it doesn't matter much either way.
I thought it was directed at the replacement 4th official - who was probably a local league official who was pulled from the crowd when the lino got injured. And he was a bit late with getting the board ready for the subs so was told by Wifey McBeater to do his f***ing job.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
cobbler150

« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2017, 18:39:03 pm »

Baffles me Crooks fittness.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2017, 19:27:50 pm »

Baffles me Crooks fittness.

Likewise, unless he is carrying something until JJOT returns?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest3063

« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2017, 19:55:25 pm »

Likewise, unless he is carrying something until JJOT returns?

He was injured playing for Sc***horpe before the end of last season and missed the play off games because of it. Add to that the fact he wasn't involved in pre-season at Rangers and it will tell us why he looks very short of match fitness. He will get better and stronger the more he plays and his fitness gets up to speed.

Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2017, 19:55:42 pm »

Stunning first half and 3 much-needed points. I do wonder whether the second-half decline was down to fitness levels but if that's so I'm sure Hasselbaink will soon get that sorted. Lots of good performances - Grimes & Pierre were well worth their places, and even when we were rocked back under the second-half cosh there was a determined spirit that just pulled us through. Tuesday v Portsmouth will be a big test.
Report Spam   Logged
bpcobbler

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2017, 22:02:43 pm »

Dean Austin had the players in today (Sunday) for training, so I'm guessing their fitness levels should start improving noticeably in the coming weeks...
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
Signature 1000 Posts Combination
« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2017, 22:06:42 pm »

Slightly off topic but I find it odd that the usual player ratings and highlights are not on the Chron website today. The Saints ones are there but no Cobblers.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End Grand National sweepstake winner 2024
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2017, 22:22:26 pm »

Dean Austin had the players in today (Sunday) for training, so I'm guessing their fitness levels should start improving noticeably in the coming weeks...

That was something that Gillingham fans kept going on about. Key to a winning team first and foremost? Fitness. Wilder? Fitness. Edinburgh? No.
Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2017, 22:25:18 pm »

I think the Chron are cutting their own throat not having reader comments - many times it was the only thing worth a look if only for ribald amusement!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2017, 22:48:13 pm »

I think the Chron are cutting their own throat not having reader comments - many times it was the only thing worth a look if only for ribald amusement!

Think someone asked them about it on Twitter and they said it wasn't their decision.
Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2017, 02:09:13 am »

Think someone asked them about it on Twitter and they said it wasn't their decision.
Probably Johnston Press centrally getting very touchy about their syndication of non- local stories to fill local space, and also about the pitiful standards of English from some of their journalists.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2934

« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2017, 05:35:53 am »

That was something that Gillingham fans kept going on about. Key to a winning team first and foremost? Fitness. Wilder? Fitness. Edinburgh? No.

It must have been mentioned before but back in good old 87, on the Saint and Greavsie show, they had a piece about Carrs rampant team and the intensely hard fitness programme they had then, which was basically 200 laps of Abby Park with Clive Walker shouting his bits off! They used Quo's "In the Army Now" as the musical backdrop.

Get the fuckers running...
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2017, 05:55:31 am »

Probably Johnston Press centrally getting very touchy about their syndication of non- local stories to fill local space, and also about the pitiful standards of English from some of their journalists.

Yeah, I don't think they were keen on constructive criticism. Plus, I suspect it saves them a few quid in not having to pay moderators anymore.

Either way, I barely look at the site anymore as it is no longer worth reading, which is a crying shame.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: