The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 14:10:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Stats - Easier Games to come

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stats - Easier Games to come  (Read 64627 times)
WasRambo

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #680 on: January 08, 2018, 10:43:59 am »

Meh

This site doesn't like tables does it?
Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #681 on: January 08, 2018, 11:15:42 am »

Rambo, the way you have done it is exactly what I have said in the past and queried the 'logic' on. Interesting to see how much difference it has made so far and how much it will by the end of the season.

Now can you do it based on the form table at the start of each game  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 08, 2018, 13:13:26 pm »

Apologies in advance for crazy formatting......

C78, your results are incorrect, though admittedly not by much.

Seeing as you couldn't be ar$ed (or you knew the outcome) here is the job done properly.

League positions stated are immediately prior to kick off, so whether a team is top half or not is accurate at the time of playing and consequently, the points gained are based on that position - they don't "drift" like in your weird method:

Position prior to game   Cumulative points   v Top   v Bottom

11         15

06 Jan 2018   Northampton Town v Southend United           3-1   W            17                            26                                    3
01 Jan 2018   Northampton Town v Wigan Athletic           0-1   L             1                            23                      0   
30 Dec 2017   Portsmouth v Northampton Town           3-1   L             7                            23                      0   
26 Dec 2017   Doncaster Rovers v Northampton Town   3-0   L            14                            23                                    0
23 Dec 2017   Northampton Town v Blackburn Rovers   1-1   D             3                            23                                         1   
16 Dec 2017   Northampton Town v Walsall                   2-1   W           11                            22                      3   
09 Dec 2017   Oldham Athletic v Northampton Town           5-1   L           18                            19                                    0
25 Nov 2017   Northampton Town v Bury                           0-0   D           24                            19                                    1
21 Nov 2017   Plymouth Argyle v Northampton Town           2-0   L           23                            18                                    0
18 Nov 2017   Northampton Town v Sc***horpe United   0-3   L             5                            18                      0   
11 Nov 2017   Oxford United v Northampton Town           1-2   W           10                            18                 3
28 Oct 2017   Northampton Town v Blackpool                   1-0   W             9                            15                 3
21 Oct 2017   Gillingham v Northampton Town                   1-2   W           22                            12                                    3
17 Oct 2017   Rochdale v Northampton Town                   2-2   D           20                              9                                    1
14 Oct 2017   Northampton Town v AFC Wimbledon           0-1   L           21                              8                                    0
07 Oct 2017   Northampton Town v Bristol Rovers           0-6   L           14                              8                                    0
30 Sep 2017   Rotherham United v Northampton Town   1-0   L           10                              8                      0   
26 Sep 2017   Milton Keynes Dons v Northampton Town   0-0   D           11                              8                      1   
23 Sep 2017   Northampton Town v Bradford City           0-1   L             4                              7                      0   
19 Sep 2017   Wigan Athletic v Northampton Town           1-0   L             5                              7                      0   
16 Sep 2017   Southend United v Northampton Town           2-2   D           19                              7                                    1
12 Sep 2017   Northampton Town v Portsmouth           3-1   W           14                              6                                    3
09 Sep 2017   Northampton Town v Doncaster Rovers   1-0   W           13                              3                                    3
26 Aug 2017   Northampton Town v Peterborough United   1-4   L             2                              0                      0   
19 Aug 2017   Charlton Athletic v Northampton Town           4-1   L           13                              0                                    0
12 Aug 2017   Northampton Town v Fleetwood Town           0-1   L             1                              0                      0   
05 Aug 2017   Shrewsbury Town v Northampton Town   1-0   L             0                              0                              N/A   

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-one/05-january-2018/

It will be interesting to see if you are big enough to own up and accept that the above is a more accurate method of calculating points gained relative to league position. I doubt you will though.

And although this method shows very similar results to your flawed method,    the thing is does point out most obviously is this - you cannot project even nearly accurately how many points we might gain in the future - at least not using the above results. You simply do not know with any certainty where a team will be positioned in the league by the time we play them, so it's impossible to project we'll get x number of points from top sides because you don't know who will be top.

Incidentally, this took 30 mins to knock up using the website linked above. Pity, if you'd paid similar due diligence your views may have gotten the credibility you crave. Sadly, everyone bar none on this thread thinks you're just a stubborn sad loser.

Glad to be of service Smiley                  

My results are 100% correct, you are confused as you are comparing apples to oranges. Yours are interesting, but I am not comparing position as at kick off. I feel my comparison is more accurate as what sort of of accuracy can you place on the table after 1 or 2 games? My theory is more and more accurate as the seseason progresses. If you want to keep yours updated it will be interesting how they compare come the end of the season as mine will be 100% accurate, I guarantee it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 13:44:50 pm by Cobbler78 » Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #683 on: January 08, 2018, 13:48:25 pm »

in the defence of cobbler78 - he did say from the off it would be after each game, as he is working towards the final league table, and how the points are split with that final league table, and not how the table looks just before the final game kicks off.

after 46 games it is generally considered that the league table doesn't lie, so we should have more points against the teams in the bottom half. Whether they were easier games or not at the time we played them.

until that point though, when 46 games are played it is simply conjecture and 'fun'.

crack on.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 08, 2018, 13:59:49 pm »

in the defence of cobbler78 - he did say from the off it would be after each game, as he is working towards the final league table, and how the points are split with that final league table, and not how the table looks just before the final game kicks off.

after 46 games it is generally considered that the league table doesn't lie, so we should have more points against the teams in the bottom half. Whether they were easier games or not at the time we played them.

until that point though, when 46 games are played it is simply conjecture and 'fun'.

crack on.

I’m already anticipating some genius telling you that your post is incorrect 😂😂😂😂
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 08, 2018, 14:22:57 pm »

I’m already anticipating some genius telling you that your post is incorrect

It would actually be interesting to compare the two tables. As Threeinabed says, the league table doesn't lie after 46 games. Would be interesting to see at what point in the season teams generally become good/bad teams. Is it after the infamous '10 games'?
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 08, 2018, 14:38:11 pm »

It would actually be interesting to compare the two tables. As Threeinabed says, the league table doesn't lie after 46 games. Would be interesting to see at what point in the season teams generally become good/bad teams. Is it after the infamous '10 games'?

Two of the biggest movers in recent weeks have been Plymouth (up) and Southend (down) I’m still amazed Shrewsbury are hanging on in there. Let’s hope we are another mover in the 2nd half of the season, after all, we are only a very good month away from being in the top half. That month could and should be February.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 14:41:16 pm by Cobbler78 » Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 08, 2018, 18:49:53 pm »

I’m already anticipating some genius telling you that your post is incorrect 😂😂😂😂

Noone is saying anyone is incorrect in the statements they are making. The issue I have always had is that C78s theory means that his results change week on week. A prime example is when we played Blackpool they were 9th, so a harder game based on C78s rules. So surely that is 3pts gained from a harder game. But us beating them knocked them down to 13th, so subsequent calculations took away those points from a harder game and gave them to an easier game. Now Blackpool have moved into the top half again, its changed once more. Its this inconsistency that for me devalues the method used for calculation.

If you then also consider that to project these results, you need to know the final finishing positions which of course is impossible until after game 46 has been played. As I said earlier, I wouldn't even try to use any method to project our final finishing position other than perhaps using a straight points per game across all games. Trying to factor i whether its against a top or bottom half side is next to useless.

Anyway, you can pick holes in either method I guess. I think the thing that irks most people though is C78s cr@ppy attitude towards anyone who questions anything he says and always seems to want to duck any questions by answering a question with a question.

Healthy debate is always welcome, ignrance and outright rudeness isn't
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 08, 2018, 19:01:48 pm »

Noone is saying anyone is incorrect in the statements they are making. The issue I have always had is that C78s theory means that his results change week on week. A prime example is when we played Blackpool they were 9th, so a harder game based on C78s rules. So surely that is 3pts gained from a harder game. But us beating them knocked them down to 13th, so subsequent calculations took away those points from a harder game and gave them to an easier game. Now Blackpool have moved into the top half again, its changed once more. Its this inconsistency that for me devalues the method used for calculation.

If you then also consider that to project these results, you need to know the final finishing positions which of course is impossible until after game 46 has been played. As I said earlier, I wouldn't even try to use any method to project our final finishing position other than perhaps using a straight points per game across all games. Trying to factor i whether its against a top or bottom half side is next to useless.

Anyway, you can pick holes in either method I guess. I think the thing that irks most people though is C78s cr@ppy attitude towards anyone who questions anything he says and always seems to want to duck any questions by answering a question with a question.

Healthy debate is always welcome, ignrance and outright rudeness isn't

To answer each of your points:

No need to have issues with my method mate, it has never changed and never will, facts are facts after all.

Regarding inconsistencies, the longer the season goes on, the more accurate the results and therefore so is the projection.

As for being rude, read the responses on page 1 and 2, if people are willing to hide behind their keyboard and dish it out, they should be big enough to take a bit back in return.

Finally, ironically enough, it’s “ignorance”
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 08, 2018, 19:56:46 pm »

This has to be the dullest thread in the history The hotel End, I dozed off several times when it 1st started, I come back a year later and its still going .
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: January 08, 2018, 19:57:59 pm »

Wow, even now you still duck the main question. You haven't answered anything at all. I tried to have some grace in my post but unless I've misunderstood the tone in your reply, it still seems you have an unerring need to take the high ground in everything you post, even to the point of pointing out I missed an 'o' out of a word I typed. That's not a misspelling, that's a typo.

I do have issues and am entitled to if I so wish. Tbh you still haven't answered any of the points raised, you just hide behind your so called facts even though those facts (crucially, how a game can be hard one week, yet easy after it was played, or vice versa) change from one week to the next.

So regardless of whether you feel it's right or wrong, there's your challenge... answer that one question from the previous paragraph without ducking or diving. Personally, I think you'll struggle but maybe if you can, you might regain some credibility.

Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 08, 2018, 20:09:20 pm »

Wow, even now you still duck the main question. You haven't answered anything at all. I tried to have some grace in my post but unless I've misunderstood the tone in your reply, it still seems you have an unerring need to take the high ground in everything you post, even to the point of pointing out I missed an 'o' out of a word I typed. That's not a misspelling, that's a typo.

I do have issues and am entitled to if I so wish. Tbh you still haven't answered any of the points raised, you just hide behind your so called facts even though those facts (crucially, how a game can be hard one week, yet easy after it was played, or vice versa) change from one week to the next.

So regardless of whether you feel it's right or wrong, there's your challenge... answer that one question from the previous paragraph without ducking or diving. Personally, I think you'll struggle but maybe if you can, you might regain some credibility.

To answer your question. You are over complicating things. I am just pointing out the facts after a game, ie how many points gained Vs top half compared to the bottom half, nothing more nothing less. Not only is this obvious, but I have also explained this numerous times on this thread so didn’t think I’d need to explain it yet again. I assume this was the question, only I did don’t see any question marks. Anyway, I hope this helps you.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #692 on: January 08, 2018, 20:58:24 pm »

Incidentally, this took 30 mins to knock up using the website linked above. Pity, if you'd paid similar due diligence your views may have gotten the credibility you crave. Sadly, everyone bar none on this thread thinks you're just a stubborn sad loser.

Glad to be of service Smiley                  
Holy Moly, you spent 30 minutes on this in an effort to win the debate? Whilst I admire your tenacity Rambo and agree 78 appears quite stubborn, I can’t help thinking you might be a little bit stubborn as well?

This thread appears to be an increasingly important factor in people’s lives, including mine!
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 08, 2018, 21:10:52 pm »

This has to be the dullest thread in the history The hotel End, I dozed off several times when it 1st started, I come back a year later and its still going .

Luckily this interesting and entertaining post has really perked things up, well done you.
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 08, 2018, 22:03:39 pm »

To answer your question. You are over complicating things. I am just pointing out the facts after a game, ie how many points gained Vs top half compared to the bottom half, nothing more nothing less. Not only is this obvious, but I have also explained this numerous times on this thread so didn’t think I’d need to explain it yet again. I assume this was the question, only I did don’t see any question marks. Anyway, I hope this helps you.

You actually think that picking up on what you understand to be grammatical or spelling errors makes you so intelligent that you don't need to answer the implied question. Read the second paragraph again, specifically the bit between the brackets. There's the question as you well know, you just choose to avoid answering it because you know that answering it means admitting the identified flaw. Or maybe my understanding of language, tone and context is just at a different level to yours where I don't need to see a question mark to understand there's a question in there. Incidentally, I could have put a question mark on the end of that last sentence but no need, I know the answer already. I've deliberately added a pompous element to that last bit, just so you can follow...

Anyway, saying that I am over complicating things is not an answer, just another dodge and once again you claim your statements to be fact. Well sorry, they're  not. Games don't get easier, or harder after they have been played, it's a physical impossibility. You know this too but are unable to admit it.

And finally, I strongly doubt there is any help you could offer that I might ever need. Nice of you to offer though.

Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 08, 2018, 22:09:40 pm »

Rambo, the way you have done it is exactly what I have said in the past and queried the 'logic' on. Interesting to see how much difference it has made so far and how much it will by the end of the season.

Now can you do it based on the form table at the start of each game  Wink

Probably, using that site lol.

Not sure C78 could handle it though...
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 08, 2018, 22:13:32 pm »

Luckily this interesting and entertaining post has really perked things up, well done you.

Lucky you Grove, C78 never picked up on either of the grammatical errors in your comment.

Or maybe his standards are slipping....
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 08, 2018, 22:14:35 pm »

Games don't get easier, or harder after they have been played, it's a physical impossibility.

Never said they did.

What is your question?
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 09, 2018, 06:51:37 am »

Never said they did.

What is your question?

Yes you did and yes you do. If you can't see how then you're thicker than you appear. You've had it explained to you using descriptions varying from the scientific to the monosyllabic.

Cling on to your theory by all means but at least be big enough to accept the flaws in it.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 09, 2018, 07:39:54 am »

I think if this thread had been called "more games to come against teams that are likely to end the season in the bottom half of the table" might have resulted in less comical debate.

then again, it is the HE, so probably not.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: