The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 03:22:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wigan Athletic (A) 19th September

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wigan Athletic (A) 19th September  (Read 10164 times)
WasRambo

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2017, 22:39:49 pm »

Powell looked overweight and disinterested. Lots of half hearted challenges.

I'm not going to slate JFH but he paid Wigan too much respect tonight. I think his set up was a bit negative
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2017, 22:45:47 pm »

http://www.skysports.com/football/wigan-vs-northampton/375230

Doesnt show the penalty incident unfortunately
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler_rob

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2017, 22:54:20 pm »

The problem was the 2 wingers, it kept coming back all the time. Back 4 and 2 centre mids weren't too bad but we weren't ever going to score with Powell Rico and Hanley as our front 3. It was poor
Report Spam   Logged
Macc Cobbler

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2017, 23:11:29 pm »

Thought JFH set us up well, and defensively we looked a lot better.

The main issue is our attacking options -  and the lack of pace !

Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2017, 23:24:45 pm »

Little victories everyone, little victories. We didn't get steamrollered like Charlton and Bristol Rovers. Early days and compare the side that's turning up now versus the one we had under JE. I can't lose sight of the fact that we are still grappling with an unbalanced squad. No amount of procrastinating and fiddling with the line up is going to hide that. Add to that the injuries and I believe things are going as well as could be expected. How we respond against Bradford who have scored 12 goals in their last 4 away games will be a real measure of how we are progressing.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2017, 23:45:22 pm »

Powell looked overweight and disinterested. Lots of half hearted challenges.

I'm not going to slate JFH but he paid Wigan too much respect tonight. I think his set up was a bit negative
With regards to Powell my missus says exactly the same thing about me. I think your right about JFH, and we went there with a damage limitation agenda hoping to get a point and not wanting to affect the increasing confidence, which a walloping may have done? Therefore I think it was most probably the right if not most popular thing to do?
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2017, 23:48:25 pm »

Thought JFH set us up well, and defensively we looked a lot better.

The main issue is our attacking options -  and the lack of pace !

Pretty much my point, we were set up more not to concede rather than to score. The problem is it invited Wigan onto us. When the inevitable happened (and it was inevitable) the game was crying out for Waters surely.

I'd just like to have seen us have more of a go. We had two wingers who couldn't erm, wing and a CF who was never going to win a ball in the air against either of those CBs. Net result, not a shot until 60 mins and only one on targe all game - from a CB!

Wigan weren't all that....
Report Spam   Logged
oop_north

« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2017, 00:19:29 am »

Some predicted a similar damage-limitation/alternative line-up.  Respect to those that did.  Really, respect to you for calling it right!!!!!

For those interested only in on-field results, this was a good one.  Remember Danny O'Shea pinning Roberto Martinez to the advertising hordings at Springfield Park, back in .... oh..... a while ago?  This was close to that, but, without the same physicality.

For those interested only in the financial aspects of the Football Manager fantasy of the Playstation......  please, get a life.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2934

« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2017, 02:48:10 am »

For those interested only in on-field results, this was a good one.  Remember Danny O'Shea pinning Roberto Martinez to the advertising hordings at Springfield Park, back in .... oh..... a while ago?  This was close to that, but, without the same physicality.

For those interested only in the financial aspects of the Football Manager fantasy of the Playstation......  please, get a life.

Grin Oh the salubrious Springfield Park!

Yes, amazing how playing with a game at home makes for so many experts these days. For some, the blurred lines between fantasy and reality are widening by the minute. We're growing a future population unable to function without an iphone. Brain dead.
Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2017, 06:26:55 am »

Just watching the highlights, was a great finish by Jacobs and one we know he is capable of but again a midfield player was given too much time on the ball and allowed to run at our defence. From what I have heard and read about JFH this is something I think he will stop (likes to defend from the front). I know we have a few issues in midfield at the moment with injuries and not playing a settled team but really cannot allow players to run at us like that. I think its happened in every game so far when one of the midfield could/should have closed down sooner. Was it Powell ambling over to Jacobs last night?
Report Spam   Logged
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2017, 07:51:34 am »

Backed off and backed off. Good strike like but ffs. Moses could have led his tribe through there
Victor Moses? He doesn't play for Wigan any more!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2017, 07:54:39 am »

We need to get Axel on for the last 10 mins
Axl Rose of Shrubs and Roses?
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2017, 08:18:38 am »

Not surprised to see some of the comments on Powell & Bowditch. Hopefully we can get rid in January and get some better players in.
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler150

« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2017, 08:22:30 am »

To me we used what we had and applyed it well. JFH is giving people a chance and clear plan was to set up and try nick a win.
Plenty of positives to draw. One being that the players signed pre chinese are simply not up to it, so thank god they came in.

Poole as DMF plauer looks good option. Powell, Bowdy and Hanley can be shipped out on lpan though. Shocking.
Report Spam   Logged
vietnamcobbler

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2017, 08:47:03 am »

To me we used what we had and applyed it well. JFH is giving people a chance and clear plan was to set up and try nick a win.
Plenty of positives to draw. One being that the players signed pre chinese are simply not up to it, so thank god they came in.

Poole as DMF plauer looks good option. Powell, Bowdy and Hanley can be shipped out on lpan though. Shocking.

agree with almost all of the above.

I think Hanley did enough to earn another look-in against better matched opposition. No one was a stand out player yesterday and most of our time was spent pressing Wigan - a bit unfair to put the final nail in the coffin on the bloke on this fixture alone.

He won back possession with a few neat tackles and had a couple of nice exchanges with Grimes on the rare occasion we put our foot on the ball - he has natural pace (like Smith) and could be a good squad player when more injuries and suspesions take their toll towards the latter part of the season.

Give him another chance to prove himself I say..

Bowditch and Powell on the other hand, I feel like I've seen enough of them pre and post JED era to safely say they should be offloaded onto pastures new.

Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2017, 08:58:52 am »

I just don't think we should kid ourselves that coming away "only" getting beat 1 nil is a good result.

I don't think Wigan were at their best and it could easily have been three or four. I'm sure views would be different had it been. The fact is we created nothing. It was painful to watch at times, possession was surrendered far too easily

That said, I accept it wasn't a first choice 11 and when fit, our midfield should be a decent unit and hopefully then we'll see something more offensive from Buchs and Moloney.

We still lack width though and we still lack a decent striker.

Ok, he fluffed one but Griggs runs across our back four, as opposed to Rico's straight line forward runs were tons more creative
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 20, 2017, 09:14:03 am »

agree with almost all of the above.

I think Hanley did enough to earn another look-in against better matched opposition. No one was a stand out player yesterday and most of our time was spent pressing Wigan - a bit unfair to put the final nail in the coffin on the bloke on this fixture alone.

He won back possession with a few neat tackles and had a couple of nice exchanges with Grimes on the rare occasion we put our foot on the ball - he has natural pace (like Smith) and could be a good squad player when more injuries and suspesions take their toll towards the latter part of the season.

Give him another chance to prove himself I say..

Bowditch and Powell on the other hand, I feel like I've seen enough of them pre and post JED era to safely say they should be offloaded onto pastures new.

[/quote
             100%
Report Spam   Logged
dannybeaver

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2017, 09:42:58 am »

I was guttered coming away from that last night, I honestly thought Barnett had rifled that into the back of the net. To think, if he had scuffed it rather than hit it clean, it may have dribbled past the keeper...

Haven't seen the replay yet but without looking to check if there was actually a foul in the buildup, that was a stone wall penalty - Maradonna-esque Hand of God.

Glad he brought Revell and Long on, but they should have started. Rico won nothing against those CB's who looked like they came from beyond the wall (GoT Reference - Sorry).

Having to repeat what has already been mentioned, but Powell and Bowditch are absolutely utter sh1te...

Onto the next one.
Report Spam   Logged
Fred_NTFC

View Profile
Level 6 1000 Posts Search
« Reply #178 on: September 20, 2017, 09:48:55 am »

Realistically I think we played it about right, it's good to see JFH giving most of the squad a shot to prove themselves which will definitely help build unity, especially with some big players still to come back. Would still have liked to have seen Waters get a shot down the middle toward the end of the game, seems a shame he hasn't really been tried there considering the goals he scored last year though I accept he's found the step-up hard so far. I hope Iaciofano & Lobjoit get some decent game time in the Caraboo cup else we may as well try & ship at least one of them out on loan in Jan.

With O'Toole, McWilliams, Hoskins, Foley (hopefully) to start boosting numbers I think October gives us a decent chance to start moving up the table, though it's still hard to see where the width & firepower is going to come from at times. Maybe we should give wing-backs a shot.  Wink

When everyone is fit it's still tricky to get a balanced line-up though, maybe the only option is trying to play two in behind to start making some runs out wide.

Ingram
Moloney Pierre Taylor Buchs 
McWilliams/O'Toole Grimes
                Crooks
      Hoskins         Long
                Revell

I'm just really making up formations though that probably won't work in reality, basically we need January to come around quickly to try & add some width to our game.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:07:14 am by Fred_NTFC » Report Spam   Logged

Cordwainer2

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #179 on: September 20, 2017, 10:03:44 am »

Ingram
Moloney Pierre Taylor Buchs 
McWilliams O'Toole Grimes
                Crooks
      Hoskins         Long
                Revell

Not sure they will allow 12 players to start!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:05:45 am by Cordwainer2 » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: