The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:40:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Bristol Rovers (H) 7th October

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Rovers (H) 7th October  (Read 15166 times)
guest2235

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #300 on: October 09, 2017, 13:08:40 pm »

Obviously I'm a football tactic dullard - but so many comments on playing this player here or there and words of wisdom on preferred formation - frankly most of it IMHO is bollox. What I saw was a frightening lack of passion, complete lack of the basics of closing the man down & having the balls to win 50-50 situation and general unawareness of where on the pitch a team mate was - until JFH sorts this out it doesn't matter who plays or where as we will continue to be whipping boys for teams skill wise are probably no better than us.
Its not bollox, you wouldn't expect to see Ash Taylor on the wing or Buchs as a lone striker? Wilder was really good at playing people in their correct position and you see the results. Keep tinkering and it starts to put questions about the managers nous in the players minds
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 09, 2017, 13:15:40 pm »

The crowd have to get more involved? Oh dear lord, if only we'd been singing more in the second half we might not have folded.

The first half the atmosphere was not too shabby despite the pathetic attempts by the players on the pitch, imagine what the score would have been if there had been no singing.

That result was due to a combination of factors and not one is due to the fans,
Rico and Revs in the same starting 11, possibly too much chopping and changing from JFH with the midfield, therefore us not actually having a midfield, Rovers having pace which we know we can't defend against. The defence losing all ability to clear the ball, BM starting the game - stupid decision he was clearly still injured from Tuesday.

So many in our team clearly aren't as good as they / we thought they were. We just have to stay in touch until January and hope JFH can ship in and out what we need.

Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 09, 2017, 13:19:17 pm »

Its not bollox, you wouldn't expect to see Ash Taylor on the wing or Buchs as a lone striker? Wilder was really good at playing people in their correct position and you see the results. Keep tinkering and it starts to put questions about the managers nous in the players minds

Wilder had the luxury of a transfer window when he arrived. JFH really does have his hands tied with one fit winger... and he is useless. I can honestly see us going full circle, and seeing the return to a wing back system next weekend.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest170

« Reply #303 on: October 09, 2017, 13:45:43 pm »

The crowd in the West Stand was one of a very limited number of highlights on Saturday.

Some classics such as "how sh1t must you be its only 5 nil" and "can you score a goal for us" were a couple of my favorites
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 09, 2017, 13:50:03 pm »

We want one was quite a good one in response to their we want 5 - 6 - 7 etc
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #305 on: October 09, 2017, 14:26:25 pm »

You cannot be serious about starting with Richards up front after his recent displays. He is finished at this level. McWilliams should accompany Poole in the holding role and I would play Hoskins and Grimes along with McGugan in the midfield 3. I would try Waters up front and would want to stop the team lumping the ball skyward.

We in my opinion we need Richards up front,

Ingram
Smith Taylor Pierre Buchanan
Grimes Bowditch Poolel McWilliams
         Hoskins Richards

LM, Foley, JJOT? on bench as none of them are fit enough for 45mins let alone 90.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 14:57:45 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Benji

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 09, 2017, 14:40:23 pm »

Ingram
Grimes Bowditch McWilliams
Hoskins Richards Waters

LM, Foley, JJOT? on bench as none of them are fit enough for 45mins let alone 90.

Wow that's four attacking players (Hoskins Richards Walters & Bowditch) with Grimes not offering much in the way of cover, I would feel sorry for poor McWilliams just coming back from injury and pretty much having to do all the tacking by himself as I don't see the others 5 offering much defensively.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 09, 2017, 14:41:49 pm »

Myself and the usual North Standers started off fine but lost inspiration after about 10 minutes as a result of the abysmal performance which was taking place in front of us.
For the record we thought the West Stand was very good for the first half, given what was being served up by the team.
I do enjoy reading comments about fans need to get behind the team more when there's a very select group who actually try and start some songs  Grin This isn't aimed at you by the way everbrite. Just what I've seen all weekend.

I know its difficult after displays like last Saturday, but am going on past performances by you and yr merry band. Of course they don't win matches but the ability to join in creates an atmosphere and at least the supporters have tried to help. I can remember the support at Mansfield, Luton , Stevenage and more recently the Rotherham game.  I know only too well (again) it doesn't win games but if the players sense the emotional keen support it might just help. We have to try?
Report Spam   Logged

Benji

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 09, 2017, 14:46:34 pm »

Ingram
Grimes Bowditch McWilliams
Hoskins Richards Waters

Just noticed no Poole either, I didn't think he was on international duty but I might be wrong, If available I would definitely have him in midfield as he's been good there and I'm not convinced he's much of a right back, even if that does mean playing smith as you suggested there or bringing in a youth teamer.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 09, 2017, 14:49:10 pm »

I would then have Foley holding ( foley needs to step up ) 

Foley is not fit, ok for bench but thats about it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 14:56:29 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 09, 2017, 14:54:46 pm »

Wow that's four attacking players (Hoskins Richards Walters & Bowditch) with Grimes not offering much in the way of cover, I would feel sorry for poor McWilliams just coming back from injury and pretty much having to do all the tacking by himself as I don't see the others 5 offering much defensively.

Quite right! Forgot Poole so side amended. Have a go at that Mr.
Report Spam   Logged

Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #311 on: October 09, 2017, 15:23:47 pm »

I blame Dr. Feelgood.
I take full responsibility
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
sixfields starling

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #312 on: October 09, 2017, 16:16:23 pm »

Obviously I'm a football tactic dullard - but so many comments on playing this player here or there and words of wisdom on preferred formation - frankly most of it IMHO is bollox. What I saw was a frightening lack of passion, complete lack of the basics of closing the man down & having the balls to win 50-50 situation and general unawareness of where on the pitch a team mate was - until JFH sorts this out it doesn't matter who plays or where as we will continue to be whipping boys for teams skill wise are probably no better than us.
[/qusggote]

Agree with most of this, we are far too happy to lump the ball forward. I'm all for clearing your lines, but we don't seem confident at all in passing the ball / finding our men
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 09, 2017, 16:24:24 pm »

I take full responsibility
              That is what JFH should have said
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #314 on: October 09, 2017, 19:19:34 pm »

Now don’t all shout at me but I always read with interest the expectation of some that we should be a Championship club? On the flip side given our almost unbroken occupation of the bottom 2 divisions you could argue that we are actually over achieving by never dropping out of the league? As you know this is a fate that has befallen many a league club with some never to return? Just saying, and after all that lot in the Premiership seem to do nothing but moan anyway so what’s the difference? Perhaps enjoying seasons like under CW or 86/87 is the best we should hope for? I’m getting a really uneasy feeling I’ve just said the wrong thing?
If we get there, I think we should view 100 years continuous league membership as an achievement and maybe even celebrate it a little, because the odds of that happening have been against us several times over the years  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
TownOwl

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #315 on: October 09, 2017, 19:52:31 pm »

I’m clearly in a minority of one, but I thought Foley had a decent game, especially considering he’s clearly not match fit. I thought he had done well up to his inevitable substitution and it only bolstered my thinking  when we saw what happened when he wasn’t there anymore. I thought he broke up play well and used the ball nicely the majority of the time.

No, I’m not his agent.

I think a lot of players in that second half will do well to get picked again anytime soon, but whatever team JFH goes for, it simply must include Hoskins in the starting XI now.
Report Spam   Logged

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes
guest3114

« Reply #316 on: October 10, 2017, 02:24:34 am »

If we get there, I think we should view 100 years continuous league membership as an achievement and maybe even celebrate it a little, because the odds of that happening have been against us several times over the years  Smiley
Quite right Mr J, in fact talking of celebration I can be quite clearly seen on the club video skipping joyfully across the grass at Gay Meadow!
Report Spam   Logged
Spinney cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 10, 2017, 12:45:29 pm »

I’m clearly in a minority of one, but I thought Foley had a decent game, especially considering he’s clearly not match fit. I thought he had done well up to his inevitable substitution and it only bolstered my thinking  when we saw what happened when he wasn’t there anymore. I thought he broke up play well and used the ball nicely the majority of the time.

No, I’m not his agent.

I think a lot of players in that second half will do well to get picked again anytime soon, but whatever team JFH goes for, it simply must include Hoskins in the starting XI now.
I also thought he was playing well and thought it was a strange decision to take him off
especially as he needs to get up to match fitness.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 11, 2017, 13:56:56 pm »

Memo to JTH NORTHAMPTON TOWN DO NOT LOSE 0-6. I don't think we ever have before and we must NEVER AGAIN.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 11, 2017, 13:58:46 pm »

One IAN ATKINS WOULD HAVE GIVEN BIRTH seeing that.,
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: