The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 12:14:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

AFC Wimbledon (H) 14th October

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AFC Wimbledon (H) 14th October  (Read 9217 times)
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 07:32:58 am »

16 year old Cameron McWilliams shouldn't start a league game for us having played 0 minutes for the senior team in his career. I assume you are basing your suggestion that he is good enough for a starting place on the fact that he sat on the bench in a Checkatrade trophy match for us? Remember that plenty of academy youngsters have been called up (several made appearances for us in pre-season friendlies this summer) and haven't had a look-in since. Just because Shaun McWilliams looks to be a good prospect, doesn't mean that his brother will be any good whatsoever.
A better solution is to have Smith at LB and Buchanan cover at RB.

Having a RB play RB is what I would prefer. I'm not sure why you think a LB who has never played RB for us would be a better solution.

The academy youngsters haven't had a look in because we have a massive squad this year, people like George Smith cannot even get in the match day squad at times even with injuries, so the kids have no chance unless we are short in a particular position.

And we are short at right back.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 07:34:07 am »

based on what? having not seen DB play right back? or mcwilliams never play right back?

when was the last time you saw DB use his right foot?

Every game...he stands on it.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 07:39:34 am »

A better solution is to have Smith at LB and Buchanan cover at RB.

I agree that McWilliams is not the answer. Playing a 16 year old on the back of a 6-0 hammering, with an unfit Hoskins offering protection on the right wing could well be disastrous. Not sure Buchanan is the answer either though...
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Aitobs

View Profile
500 Posts Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 07:41:48 am »

Having a RB play RB is what I would prefer. I'm not sure why you think a LB who has never played RB for us would be a better solution.

The academy youngsters haven't had a look in because we have a massive squad this year, people like George Smith cannot even get in the match day squad at times even with injuries, so the kids have no chance unless we are short in a particular position.

And we are short at right back.

Buchanan has played RB for us on at least two occasions- both last season, when we had injuries to both Moloney and Phillips. Paul Anderson played LB and Buchanan went to RB.

I just don't think it's a good idea to try an untested academy lad who I don't think has even been training with the senior team at RB in such a crucial game.

The lad is 16. He needs to be introduced gently into the team, not thrown in at the deep end at RB when we've just lost 0-6 in the previous game, have a sea of defensive issues and lack any midfield protection for him.

If we'd seen him before, it might be a different story. But it's a big risk when he's played 0 minutes of senior football. He might buckle under the pressure.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 08:10:14 am »

Buchanan has played RB for us on at least two occasions- both last season, when we had injuries to both Moloney and Phillips. Paul Anderson played LB and Buchanan went to RB.
I just don't think it's a good idea to try an untested academy lad who I don't think has even been training with the senior team at RB in such a crucial game.
The lad is 16. He needs to be introduced gently into the team, not thrown in at the deep end at RB when we've just lost 0-6 in the previous game, have a sea of defensive issues and lack any midfield protection for him.
If we'd seen him before, it might be a different story. But it's a big risk when he's played 0 minutes of senior football. He might buckle under the pressure.

Can't say I remember this, especially as Anderson had played RB before.

I understand the point about him buckling, the only other option for me is to go with three at the back. Powell and Smith as wing backs, we lose Poole from the midfield into the back three.

Ingram

Poole  Ash  Pierre

Powell                         Smith

McWillams   Grimes  Hanley

Hoskins

Waters

Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 08:17:51 am »

I would go with:

Ingram

C.McWilliams  Ash Pierre Smith

S.McWilliams Poole

Hoskins       Grimes        Hanley

Waters

A genetically small team, Gordon Strachan would not approve.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 08:47:44 am »

The lad is 16. He needs to be introduced gently into the team.

wayne rooney?!
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 09:01:51 am »

As much as I want pace upfront with Hoskins or waters involved I think people are deluded if they think Rico won't be in the side. Like it or not he is all we have at the moment. We are playing poorly with many long balls from the back. We have to have someone up top that can at least challenge for the ball. I'm not saying Rico will win much but like I say he is all we have. Would like to see Hoskins playing up with him.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 09:50:52 am »

4-4-2 - keep it simple - put your best player for each position in that position.

i think the last time we did it was at home versus pompey - not surprisingly we scored goals, and we won.

although we did have long playing, and no-one else looks like they could hit a barn door.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 10:56:26 am »

I think you are thinking of the Rovers away game last year. Anderson started Right back but went off injured and I think Buchs then moved across with Taylor going left back but I could be losing it. The other time injury left us without a Right Back I'm sure Page stuck Diamond out there for half hour or so.

I think it is pretty inevitable that Poole will play Right Back Saturday, I think he can do a decent enough job there as a stop gap, S McWilliams is hopefully fit enough to play in midfield anyway so Poole probably wouldn't start there.

With what is in the squad I'd have Long as my lone striker in the 4-2-3-1 all day but he's still unavailable I'm guessing. In which case Rico will start so we need to make sure we get as much energy and legs around him as possible. Hanley Left, Hoskins right with Waters in behind anyone?

As for everyone wanting young players to start, I agree we need to blood them and give them a chance but there is a balancing act to find, you can ruin a youngster as well. In my mind there is no excuse for Iaciofano to have not been on the bench several times so far this season, having made 5 or 6 sub appearances. We'd know a bit more if he is ready for the team or not now when the injuries and suspensions are biting. The younger McWilliams is possibly too young but maybe if they'd given him 20 minutes / half hour in the tin pot cup we'd know. It looks an especially poor decision to play Maloney for the whole of that game now.
Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 11:12:34 am »

I would go with:

Ingram
    Poole Taylor Pierre Smith
          Grimes Mcwilliams
Waters      Hoskins    Hanley
               Rico

If we are playing Poole as a RB I dont expect him to get forward  that much, Smith can offer that from LB. Buchs cannot. Its a small team so it wont happen as Wimbledon are normally pretty route 1 but I just want us to have some players with pace and directness in there.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 12:33:57 pm »

Easy game 2-0 Rico and Grimes! Fact 🖕🏻
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 16:55:18 pm »

Easy game 2-0 Rico and Grimes! Fact 🖕🏻

But they're above us  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
Martin

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 17:19:34 pm »

I would go with:

Ingram
    Poole Taylor Pierre Smith
          Grimes Mcwilliams
Waters      Hoskins    Hanley
               Rico

If we are playing Poole as a RB I dont expect him to get forward  that much, Smith can offer that from LB. Buchs cannot. Its a small team so it wont happen as Wimbledon are normally pretty route 1 but I just want us to have some players with pace and directness in there.
I would play Buchanan at right back as he has played there before in an emergency, put Poole in as a defensive midfielder with McWilliams and play Grimes in the centre of 3 with Hoskins replacing Hanley who I don't rate. Hoskins and Waters could regularly swap sides to mix play up. We need as much strength in the holding positions as possible to protect the back 4. I would not want to waste a shirt by playing Richards at all, and would recall Iaciofano to play up front. At least we would have pace and mobility and wouldn't lose anything more in the air as Richards is incapable of getting his feet off the ground and winning anything anyway.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 17:42:57 pm »

Am I the only one who thinks that a midfield containing Grimes , hoskins and waters would get bullied ?

You could probably get them all in Ryan air hand luggage.
Report Spam   Logged

Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 17:48:20 pm »

Add to that he used to terrorise us at set pieces going forward & score....we did see early signs of this ...but thats evaporated now.

A shadow of his former self.

I agree that Pierre has had a few poor games for us, and was awful last week (but who wasn't). However, he's also played VERY well a few times this season. He does need to be more consistent but with more confidence I think that will come. I'm sure he is a far better defender than Barnett, who is the alternative, so I hope he stays in the team.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 18:09:38 pm »

But they're above us  Huh?

And?
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 18:22:53 pm »

Am I the only one who thinks that a midfield containing Grimes , hoskins and waters would get bullied ?

A combined age from Grimes, Hoskins, Waters, McWilliams and Poole can't be much more than a combined age of Rico and Revell  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Martin

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 18:28:14 pm »

Who would you suggest then? There simply isn't anyone.
Report Spam   Logged
Benji

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 18:31:15 pm »

No, you can add Bowditch to that list too as someone who offers nothing defensively
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: