The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 13:04:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Identity Crisis

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Identity Crisis  (Read 1046 times)
bungle

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Mobile User Combination
« on: October 14, 2017, 21:20:23 pm »

Chris Freestone hit the nail on the head on radio numpty earlier when he asked: 'what is the identity of NTFC right now?'

In his day we were a limited, but effective, long ball side; under Wilder we a high pressing side whose success was characterised by fluid interchanges in a 4231 or latterly a 442.

At the beginning of the season, JED tried and failed to impose a trendy Chelsea-style wing back identity on us. JFH rightly binned this torturous experiment, but what has he established in its stead?

It seems to me that he changes the system, tactics and personnel every week to match the perceived strengths and weaknesses of the opposition (which reached its nadir when he selected Revell on the right of a 4-2-3-1 to exploit BR's perceived weakness on the left side of defence).

Today our tactics were so one-dimensional it wasn't funny: hoof it into the channels beyond their big defenders in the forlorn hope that Hoskins and Waters would latch onto it. Once it became clear that this was not going to fly (about 20 minutes in) there was literally no plan b. The players seemed to have no idea where to run and basic possessive interplay like overlaps, triangles, lay offs etc was completely lacking. For me, this smacks of a lack of 'identity' or a coherent tactical plan. Players at this level need simplicity and clarity.

IMO, a side with no wingers (lets face it, Powell doesn't count) should be playing a high pressing, well-drilled 4-2-3-1 regardless of JFH's 'dossier' on the opposition. This is what I'd play until January:

Ingram

Moloney   Taylor   Pierre   Buchanan

McWilliams  Poole (O'Toole when fully fit)

Hoskins        Bowditch (Crooks when fit)       Smith

McGugan/Long

I'd drop Grimes for the moment because he doesn't fit into a 4-2-3-1 and isn't offering enough in terms of either quality or effort. McGugan doesn't look match fit, but he has scoring pedigree at a higher level and would probably do a better job in a 'false 9' role than any other alternative we currently have. Interestingly, Smith looked far sharper in the pre-match shooting warm up than any other player on the pitch. He should definitely be starting IMO.

We can rethink everything in January, but until then: please Jimmy, give us back our sense of identity.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BlackpoolCobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 06:58:36 am »

To be fair to Grimes I wouldn't question his effort,Even at 6:0 last week he wanted the ball where others shirked it.The problem is everytime he gets it and looks up there is no movement whatsoever so he either has to go back or lump it had hope for the best.His corner taking is woeful though.
Report Spam   Logged
Buster

View Profile
Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:22:42 am »

Chris Freestone hit the nail on the head on radio numpty earlier when he asked: 'what is the identity of NTFC right now?'

In his day we were a limited, but effective, long ball side; under Wilder we a high pressing side whose success was characterised by fluid interchanges in a 4231 or latterly a 442.

At the beginning of the season, JED tried and failed to impose a trendy Chelsea-style wing back identity on us. JFH rightly binned this torturous experiment, but what has he established in its stead?

It seems to me that he changes the system, tactics and personnel every week to match the perceived strengths and weaknesses of the opposition (which reached its nadir when he selected Revell on the right of a 4-2-3-1 to exploit BR's perceived weakness on the left side of defence).

Today our tactics were so one-dimensional it wasn't funny: hoof it into the channels beyond their big defenders in the forlorn hope that Hoskins and Waters would latch onto it. Once it became clear that this was not going to fly (about 20 minutes in) there was literally no plan b. The players seemed to have no idea where to run and basic possessive interplay like overlaps, triangles, lay offs etc was completely lacking. For me, this smacks of a lack of 'identity' or a coherent tactical plan. Players at this level need simplicity and clarity.

IMO, a side with no wingers (lets face it, Powell doesn't count) should be playing a high pressing, well-drilled 4-2-3-1 regardless of JFH's 'dossier' on the opposition. This is what I'd play until January:

Ingram

Moloney   Taylor   Pierre   Buchanan

McWilliams  Poole (O'Toole when fully fit)

Hoskins        Bowditch (Crooks when fit)       Smith

McGugan/Long

I'd drop Grimes for the moment because he doesn't fit into a 4-2-3-1 and isn't offering enough in terms of either quality or effort. McGugan doesn't look match fit, but he has scoring pedigree at a higher level and would probably do a better job in a 'false 9' role than any other alternative we currently have. Interestingly, Smith looked far sharper in the pre-match shooting warm up than any other player on the pitch. He should definitely be starting IMO.
We can rethink everything in January, but until then: please Jimmy, give us back our sense of identity.

I'm not sure 'identity' is the is what I'd call it but I agree with much of your post, Smith was the sharpest during warm up (particularly the pass and shoot drill) and I was willing him to be brought on throughout the game.

Mugugan on the other hand may not be match fit as you say, but to me (and I hope I'm wrong) he looked disinterested... For now, I'm giving him the benefit of doubt, as certain players display a demeanour that makes them appear to look as though they can't be bothered, however yesterday the game was simply going on around him. I just hope it's lack of match fitness and not the reason he's been excluded for the past couple of seasons.
Report Spam   Logged
guest143

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 10:07:39 am »

Jimmy, the players, someone? got something right for the first two games in charge. Whilst Smith is more of an attacking defender, at left midfield he provides genuine pace and the ability to run the ball into the box. Entirely subjective, but out of the new recruits, I'd say he has the right attitude and should start. The quicker John Joe gets back to full fitness, the safer we become and I'm sure he can provide an anchoring role in midfield which may help the style of Grimes. Long upfront and recall a young striker. David Bell had glowing reviews about Lobjoit in yesterdays commentary.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 15:04:10 pm »

To be fair to Grimes I wouldn't question his effort,Even at 6:0 last week he wanted the ball where others shirked it.The problem is everytime he gets it and looks up there is no movement whatsoever so he either has to go back or lump it had hope for the best.His corner taking is woeful though.

This is how I'm seeing it too. The times Grimes had the ball in the middle, and naturally expected a through ball out wide to Powell.... only for Powell to be so poorly positioned. He's clearly a quality player, and his form has definitely dipped since we lost Long and Crooks.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 15:21:34 pm »

JFH started out with a clear game plan v Donny, Pompey & Bradford at home as well as MK away.

We had an obvious 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1, and particularly in the early games were looking to press the opposition high up the pitch to regain possession & launch attacks.

Since then the players seem to have lost energy / belief at an alarming rate, the tactical identity has been lost and frankly we look ready to take a beating every week.

What on earth has happened since MK away I really don't know.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 16:32:20 pm »

JFH started out with a clear game plan v Donny, Pompey & Bradford at home as well as MK away.

We had an obvious 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1, and particularly in the early games were looking to press the opposition high up the pitch to regain possession & launch attacks.

Since then the players seem to have lost energy / belief at an alarming rate, the tactical identity has been lost and frankly we look ready to take a beating every week.

What on earth has happened since MK away I really don't know.

Like I say, I think he's been tinkering too much. As you say, a high pressing 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 was working well, but then he decided to put Revell on the right side of the attacking trident purely to accommodate some perceived weakness of Rovers' despite the fact that the man is clearly ill-equipped to press.

Then he decides to play 4-4-2 yesterday with two of the smallest strikers in the league up front and McGugan inexplicably on the left.

If he'd stuck to a disciplined high pressing 4-2-3-1 in the last two games then I have little doubt that we would have been a lot more competitive. Playing someone like Smith as an emergency wide-left forward is a necessary evil at the moment (although I actually think he would be quite good in the role).

Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 08:34:54 am »

Like I say, I think he's been tinkering too much. As you say, a high pressing 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 was working well, but then he decided to put Revell on the right side of the attacking trident purely to accommodate some perceived weakness of Rovers' despite the fact that the man is clearly ill-equipped to press.

Then he decides to play 4-4-2 yesterday with two of the smallest strikers in the league up front and McGugan inexplicably on the left.

If he'd stuck to a disciplined high pressing 4-2-3-1 in the last two games then I have little doubt that we would have been a lot more competitive. Playing someone like Smith as an emergency wide-left forward is a necessary evil at the moment (although I actually think he would be quite good in the role).

Smith played well on the left of the attacking 3 v Portsmouth & Donny in my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 08:56:05 am »

Three very poor transfer windows and very little investment in the squad (despite this 'takeover')

Two very poor managerial appointments post-Wilder.

I suspect our stay in League 1 will be a short one like it always seems to be.

Report Spam   Logged
Rushdencobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 09:38:32 am »

Grimes is a quality player, I do think in our current crisis of confidence / ability he is a luxury we cant afford. If we have someone so deep lying they need to be a ball winner at the min to help shield the defence, and not sit so deep, with him at the moment we are basically playing 5 at the the back and once he has tried to pass the ball forward to our attackers and as usual it bounces straight back we only leave ourselves open in the middle because he is standing next to Pierre or Taylor, and they run riot. I think we had a clue when we had Crooks fit as most things seem to go through him and Grimes, but now we have lost him it seems like Grimes has nothing to aim at, and without Crooks as lethargic as he seems, he actually covers alot of ground and was always in and around the action and involved, and good for a goal too.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 09:40:18 am »

I think Poole & McWilliams are our best available CM's at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
Rushdencobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 09:43:55 am »

For the current situation yes, but I would have Crooks, Grimes and Mcgugan ahead of all others. Attack Attack Attak
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 10:10:22 am »

Smith played well on the left of the attacking 3 v Portsmouth & Donny in my opinion.

we played 4-4-2 v pompey - that said, smith played well, but they all did, as they all knew what their jobs were, and we looked balanced for once.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: