The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 14:27:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Players out on loan

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Players out on loan  (Read 37714 times)
guest3063

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #220 on: February 28, 2019, 14:31:14 pm »

Paul Culpin was one of my favourite strikers. Knew how to score and loved a pint. His goal against Fulham in 1988 is my favourite Cobblers goal of all time. A Marco Van Basten style volley past big Jim Stannard!

I liked him aswell, and I remember that goal. My point though is he didn't really do much 'work' for the team other than score goals and these days strikers need to work to a team ethic. I'm not saying this is right but this is why Joe needs to adapt his game and clearly our recent managers don't think he has done enough to warrant a place in the team.
Report Spam   Logged
Battery Man

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #221 on: February 28, 2019, 14:38:46 pm »

I know your heart is in the right place, and no one is saying that everything is perfect - far from it don’t get me wrong - but what are you hoping to achieve by chipping away constantly at KT and KC on here? I know the meeting is in a couple of weeks but even if that “goes well” I don’t think it’s going to bring about the kind of swift revolution that you are after anytime soon. We can be shown all of the models you like but at the end of the day it’s going to come down to cash - where is the money to buy KT and DB out going to come from (in fact knowing how much they are asking for would be a start), if some kind of community ownership was to somehow take over where is the money to rebuild the east stand and upgrade facilities going to come from, pay off KC (I assume that’s what you’re after), provide a competitive transfer kitty for the new man, revamp the youth system, upgrade training facilities etc?

I don't think its about chipping away at KT & KC more about wanting someone in charge of both the club and the players who is in it for the long haul and looking to build something. I don't know about you but I am fed up with a succession of managers coming in and out the door. Personally as far as KT is concerned I don't think he wants to be here long term I think he wants to make his money and get out, but if he does want to be in it for the long haul then good. I want someone in charge of the club and managing the players who cares as much as the fans do. I know its a bit pie in the sky but we can hope.
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 28, 2019, 14:42:38 pm »

Curle has said he will not hand out first team opportunities to the club's star youth team for the "sake of it" should we retain our league status. It wouldn't be for the sake of it, however, because he would be giving opportunities to assets of the football club. Ones that could potentially be at the football club a lot longer than he will given the shelf life of managers. Ones that are very good value in terms of wages.

What he's missing is that scouts from higher leagues may see things in our youth players that he doesn't and he is effectively keeping them out of the shop window.

Instead he talks about his favoured senior players and "potential watching suitors", whether this means selling players who have flattered to deceive this term for a profit or simply shifting them off the payroll is hard to determine but any interested parties will have had 3 quarters of season to frame any interest.

Down at Exeter the youth team are mixed with first the first team in training and they have made massive profits on young players that may easily have not seen the light of day elsewhere. Is there something in the water down in Devon which makes their kids better than ours? No they are just coached and managed better in becoming successful senior pros.

The serious injury to Sean Whaler may show the potential downside to sending players down into the depths of non-league, there were some very naughty tackles in that Banbury game with the club complaining about the leniency of the refereeing.

Regarding Joe he has one very important thing in his favour and that is being a goal-scorer, notch a couple in League 2 even tap in and your value increased almost with each goal. You can say no-one from higher up came in for him (probably with no facts to back it up) but in reality why would someone from the Conference North come in for a player that has not been given the benefit of minutes at League 2 level?

Again it boils down to the problematic setup of a manager with a potentially short shelf life trying to impose his way of doing things onto a football club. It's like us ordering a 5 course meal in a restaurant we may have to leave in 10 minutes.

There has always been a shortsightedness with the managers at our club. Are they the wrong managers or is it the way the club is set up? Maybe both?

There have been a lot of scouts attending youth team games this season - more than in previous seasons by some distance. This is measurable as scouts have to inform the club that they are attending a youth team fixture. The league game at home to Stevenage U18s [1st versus 2nd at the time] was the highest ever attendance for scouts at one of our youth team's games on record. I do think some clubs are waiting with interest to see who we release. Time will tell.

KC involves few youth team players in 1st team training. However, the recent reserve game, last week's 1st team/ youth game and this week's U23s game versus MK Dons U23s is, in part, for him to have a closer look at youth team players that would be involved with 1st team training if at a more progressive club like Exeter.

I agree that some clubs manage younger players better than we do. Given the lack of ambition in our club; notably no U23s and poor 1st team integration, playing men's football is the best option available. It is still seen as a forward step towards gaining a pro. Last season, no youth team players were sent out on loan, so the current 2nd years are doing everything they can to further their careers. Real shame what happened to Sean. Always a risk but one that has to be taken. If this injury had happened to a 2nd year it would certainly end their chances of gaining a pro, because that's how the club operates.

I'm a fan of Joe and hope he scores a few at Banbury. Sure he will be successful, wherever he ends up.  
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2019, 14:45:09 pm »

I don't think its about chipping away at KT & KC more about wanting someone in charge of both the club and the players who is in it for the long haul and looking to build something. I don't know about you but I am fed up with a succession of managers coming in and out the door. Personally as far as KT is concerned I don't think he wants to be here long term I think he wants to make his money and get out, but if he does want to be in it for the long haul then good. I want someone in charge of the club and managing the players who cares as much as the fans do. I know its a bit pie in the sky but we can hope.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree entirely that the whole club needs change but as it stands it looks highly unlikely to happen any time in the near future - we have KC under contract for another year at least so we’ve got no option but to get behind him and hope for the best and it doesn’t look like KT is going to leave any time soon regardless of any outcomes at the meeting in a couple of weeks.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #224 on: February 28, 2019, 15:57:28 pm »

so is the answer 1?

in 7 years

I think that would be more than we have made on every single player we have sold in 4 years, But they also sold Ashley Westwood for 2million to Villa in 2012.

On top of them you could easily name a comfortable league 1 side from other players that did not go for astronomical fees.
Report Spam   Logged

GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #225 on: February 28, 2019, 19:29:34 pm »

Yes, £6 million for Nick Powell that year.

I get that people are saying "look where they are now"...maybe that's indicative of the fact they haven't sold anyone for money in the past few years.

But for a team that regularly battled for re-election to the Football League, to go from that to playing in the Championship and that they have spent 10 of the last 15 seasons outside the bottom flight must be seen as progress.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest2995

« Reply #226 on: March 01, 2019, 00:06:26 am »

How do you find these things out if you don't mind me asking? Not very professional of the pasta server if you ask me (if true, of course).
I really can’t say in this case .
It’s a real pity we haven’t got an under 23 set up which I believe dean Austin would have implemented .
There needs to be a proper progression with youngsters between under 18s and division 2.
Throwing them in just doesn’t work as we found out at Cambridge .
We have a golden generation but it may go to waste because you need experience in the first team and can only blood so many young lads .
There won’t be the same success with next years crop by all accounts and so how do we get the best from these lads ?
It’s a decision from above in reality because it costs money .
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #227 on: March 01, 2019, 15:11:21 pm »

Just admit it B&S..... You are the pasta server  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 01, 2019, 20:10:49 pm »

Just admit it B&S..... You are the pasta server  Wink
Oh no he's not!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #229 on: March 01, 2019, 20:36:46 pm »

Oh no he's not!

Okay, you are then.
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 01, 2019, 21:00:37 pm »

Okay, you are then.
Oh no I'm not!
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #231 on: March 02, 2019, 20:55:58 pm »

Joe Iacifano scored for Banbury today.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #232 on: March 03, 2019, 09:18:11 am »

McWilliams sent off for Corby.
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 03, 2019, 19:23:44 pm »

Joe Iacifano scored for Banbury today.
And hit the woodwork with another effort. Hopefully, first of many.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #234 on: March 04, 2019, 10:34:47 am »

It’s a pity some of these loans are not out to the level above St Ives and Banbury .
National League South or North would be better - somewhere like Brackley.
I can’t help thinking it doesn’t prove much playing for some of these teams, although I do appreciate there has to be a will from both sides .
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #235 on: March 04, 2019, 10:49:06 am »

It’s a pity some of these loans are not out to the level above St Ives and Banbury .
I can’t help thinking it doesn’t prove much playing for some of these teams, although I do appreciate there has to be a will from both sides .

I am pretty sure that NTFC would gladly lend them to 6th tier sides, if one such club asked for them on loan...
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #236 on: March 04, 2019, 11:02:04 am »

Would they get regular first team football at tier 6 at the moment? 
A guarantee of starting with St Ives and Brackley may have been the clincher?
They might as well have stayed with us if not.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 04, 2019, 11:56:48 am »

Hard to find teams at that level that will take our U18s from us. We don't have a reputation for producing good players... yet.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #238 on: March 05, 2019, 20:06:05 pm »

Meanwhile, Billy Waters has scored to make it Cheltenham 1-1 Bury...want the Shakers to win this and overtake Lincoln!
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #239 on: March 12, 2019, 14:09:51 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers-loan-round-up-waters-nets-twice-in-a-week-as-bunney-helps-dale-to-vital-win-1-8844587
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: