The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 11:14:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Saints U21's (H) Checkatrade 7/11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Saints U21's (H) Checkatrade 7/11  (Read 7951 times)
Baldy

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2017, 20:44:40 pm »

Rico!
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2017, 20:44:55 pm »

Long puts us 3-1 up
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2017, 20:45:26 pm »

3-2 Cobbs
Report Spam   Logged

Dr Feelgood

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2017, 20:46:56 pm »

Fook Mcgivern misses
Report Spam   Logged

Dr Feelgood

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2017, 20:47:33 pm »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS we win 4-2

McGugmeister scores the winner
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 20:51:52 pm by Dr Feelgood » Report Spam   Logged

Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2017, 20:48:37 pm »

We're the greatest team in the world! Don't you just love The Cobblers!
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2017, 20:49:39 pm »

Fúck me.That's a turn up for the books
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2017, 20:53:00 pm »

Back from the dead........we go through without winning a game in the group!! Only in the Chuckletrade!!!

Now then, we know what we have to do next week, just park the bus against Scunny, take it to pens and we'll win for sure!! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2017, 20:53:30 pm »

Biggest comeback since 2009 I think.

Great comeback ...

5 unbeaten nice little run now..

Bring on Poxford..
Report Spam   Logged

WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2017, 21:24:07 pm »

Biggest comeback since 2009 I think.

Great comeback ...

5 unbeaten nice little run now..

Bring on Poxford..

What was the comeback in 2009. I can't remember being 3-0 down, or worse and coming back to draw or win? Sc***horpe away maybe, were we losing that 4-1 and ended up 4-4?
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2017, 21:27:33 pm »

Grimes and Mcgugan look on an entirely different level to the rest of the team.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2017, 21:28:35 pm »

What was the comeback in 2009. I can't remember being 3-0 down, or worse and coming back to draw or win? Sc***horpe away maybe, were we losing that 4-1 and ended up 4-4?

Correct...1-4 down after 51 minutes....13th December 2008
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2017, 21:35:53 pm »

How did McGivern do?
Report Spam   Logged

Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2017, 21:36:46 pm »

Correct...1-4 down after 51 minutes....13th December 2008
Was it that long ago? I can remember that day clearly.
I can also remember Seamus OC, not being able to fit through the turnstile, and having to go through the fire exit.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Air-Dan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2017, 22:17:34 pm »

How many more games before we can bring back the ... games, ... games undefeated song?  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2017, 22:19:50 pm »

How did McGivern do?

Decent. Kept it simple in possession, looked assured at the back. I wouldn’t be too concerned if Taylor or Pierre missed a game or two, better option as back up than Barnett.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2017, 22:32:32 pm »

It’s a good result but without pissing on the party I always think it’s strange that a team gets massive  credit for recovering from a 3-0 deficit conveniently forgetting the team that got them in that predicement in the first place.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2017, 22:51:05 pm »

If Cecil's going it will probably be a lot lower than 942

Well Potato Head you scored an own goal again - the turn out was a magnificent 1104 spectators.

For the first 10 mins we passed it around nicely conceding an early goal to boot! For a full 70 mins of this game we were ineffective 2nd to the ball and in some cases even 3rd! We passed sideways and back much to the irritation of the crowd. Even the great JFH was getting impatient with the players of whom several of the fringe players looked exactly that; poor old Hanley personified that description how he lasted so long is testament to JFH patience. Richards display did not earn too many plaudits from the crowd; talk about on borrowed time.  Taylor just about held the defence together to keep the score down to 0-3. Soton were faster played liked a team and defended well (not much to do). Even given how poor we were they looked a decent pacy clever side.
JFH subs changed the game but Foleys goal a slightly mis*** shot at that was the start. Grimes and Long came on but it was another sub who changed the game - McGugan. Suddenly we had tempo, passing became astute and incisive thanks to Grimes and McG. Then McG scored a thunderbolt volley - sheer class. Glad I was there to witness it. The tempo went up another notch and even more so in the added 5 mins. Poor Soton their dubious time wasting tactics did for them and rightly so. The 3rd goal was a genuine classic - a corner in the last 30 secs of added time. Even Cornell came up for the corner. Somehow Taylor head it in and am pretty sure Cornells presence unnerved their goalie. Then even the pens went our way.

The sheer elation of the crowd at the result was good to see; as for the self proclaimed stay aways (nice and cosy in their armchairs) it was the result they dreaded. For £5.00 you all missed a magnificent topsy turvy game. That result will earn the club a load of goodwill from those who were there. I was there!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 22:58:53 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Aitobs

View Profile
500 Posts Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2017, 22:51:46 pm »

What a match! A typical Cobblers start, a fantastic comeback, a world-class McGugan goal, a last-second equaliser and a win on penalties! In terms of action, possibly the most eventful game we'll see at Sixfields all season.

We were quite shockingly bad for the first 65 minutes- some of our players looked very lethargic, particularly Hanley, Kasim and Bowditch. Crooks was our bright spark in that first half- he looks to be on another level to the rest of the team and it's great to see him back.

Southampton were the better side in the first half, looking particularly good on the counterattack, and after 65 minutes, we were 3-0 down. Then JFH had a decision to make- admit defeat and throw the academy lads on for a bit of experience, or refuse to wave the white flag and send in the proper reinforcements. He chose the latter, and it turned out to be exactly the right call. On came Matt Grimes, Lewis McGugan and Chris Long- together, they injected some much needed impetus into the side. Foley got our first goal, a very good finish from inside the box. He took his time upon receiving the ball in a good position, remained collected and hit a very clever shot into the top right corner. Then McGugan got us right back in the game with a beautiful volley from 30 yards out- surely one of the best goals scored at Sixfields. An absolute worldy.
The Southampton lads couldn't cope with our improvement in quality and blind panic set in for them, largely due to inexperience, which played to our advantage.

Southampton did a lot of time wasting but in the end this didn't matter because the ref added every second of time wasted on at the end, which allowed us to get our equaliser. Even Cornell came up for Grimes' corner, which Taylor headed in- the final whistle blew 3 seconds later.

The penalty shootout that followed was a bit of a non-event as we had already qualified in Cobbleresque style but it's always nice to win it even so. Rico's penalty was probably the pick of the bunch.

A good attendance too for a Checkatrade game on a cold, rainy Tuesday night in November- 1100. And what a game we ended up seeing!

Man-For-Man Marking

CORNELL- A couple of crucial saves. Poor defending was to blame for the goals conceded, not him. Very vocal which is good to see. 6/10

SMITH- Has some pace about him which is always useful, and he was a nuisance for the Southampton defence throughout. Good with the ball at his feet and really put a shift in. 6.5

TAYLOR- Solid and professional throughout, some crucial interceptions as well. Scored the brilliant headed equaliser too! 7

McGIVEN- Can't say I'm impressed, didn't look very sharp or competent. At fault for a couple of Southampton's goals, missed his penalty, and poor decision making on the ball. I hope he improves but at the moment, Taylor and Pierre are better options. 5

MOLONEY- Got forward a lot in the first half and some decent crosses into the box. Didn't shirk his defensive responsibilities either. Faded in the second half. 6

BOWDITCH- Had an absolute shocker. So many poor passes, lost possession on countless occasions, and even during our late resurgence he was the weak link. 3.5

CROOKS- Good to see him back, great on the ball and a genuine attacking threat. 7

KASIM- Didn't seem interested at all, some poor passes and hardly broke a sweat- very little running or attempting to win the ball. Rightly hauled off after an hour. Showed yet again why he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. 3.5

FOLEY- Didn't really get into it in the first half but much better in the second. Excellent finish for his debut goal for the club and much more of a midfield presence later on. 6.5

HANLEY- All over the place. Positioning was abysmal, didn't get stuck in and offered nothing going forward. 3.5

RICHARDS- Lack of service limited his effectiveness in the first half. Very nearly pulled off what would have been a brilliant chip over the Saints goalkeeper in the second half but it went narrowly wide. Other than that, a quiet night for the skipper, although he never stopped closing people down and slipping in some good attacking passes where he could. Decent pen in the shootout. 6.5

Subs:

GRIMES: Classy tonight, some real skill shown and dominated the midfield upon his introduction. Taught a few Southampton lads some lessons tonight. Scored a good pen too. 7.5

McGUGAN: Changed the game when he came on, worked well with Grimes and played some perfect long passes. Then scored a peach of a volley to get us back in the game. Looks a good acquisition, I'm certainly a fan now! 8 MOTM

LONG: Got straight into it once introduced. Combined well with Rico to cause Saints a few more defensive issues and always a threat with the ball at his feet marauding into the box. His pace certainly continues to be a welcome attribute up front where we so often lack it. Looked injured at the end of the game though- a recurrence of his hamstring issue maybe. Hopefully nothing too serious. 7
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2017, 22:52:34 pm »

How many more games before we can bring back the ... games, ... games undefeated song?  Wink

Ask Dan
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: