The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 10:23:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Iron - AGAIN (H) 18th November

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Iron - AGAIN (H) 18th November  (Read 8305 times)
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 11:23:42 am »

Unfortunately McW had at best a mediocre game at Sc***horpe in the Cup! Would have thought the best he can hope for is on the bench possible 2nd choice after Foley?

What position did he play in the Cup?
Report Spam   Logged
Quintonside

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 12:06:28 pm »

I like McWilliams and its good that we have a talented lad who has come through the academy and is getting his chance.

But what is his role/position.  He isn't quite the enforcer, which is what Poole gets used for, but nor is he the playmaker that Grimes is.

He covered well at right back, but not sure that's the long term plan for him.
Report Spam   Logged

Member since 2013, 4 years trying to unlock the account and find password. Back in full swing May 2017
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 14:07:59 pm »

What position did he play in the Cup?

@ Sc***horpe RB
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
The Rauldinho

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 14:24:48 pm »

I like McWilliams and its good that we have a talented lad who has come through the academy and is getting his chance.
But what is his role/position.  He isn't quite the enforcer, which is what Poole gets used for, but nor is he the playmaker that Grimes is.
He covered well at right back, but not sure that's the long term plan for him.

He is a central midfielder, I think he is covers both the tough tackling side of the game and the breaking forward pretty well. But like any nurturing talent, he needs games at this level to find himself.

He has played RB before, hence his covering spell there, but I think that is a bit of a disservice to him if we cannot fit him into our midfield. I would certainly have him ahead of most in our midfield pack, I would also rather see our own get games over loan talent (although appreciate that is difficult whilst we are near the bottom end of the league).
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 14:26:11 pm »

@ Sc***horpe RB

There you go.

A central midfielder covering at right back because he played there a bit when he was younger, and you judge this performance on his ability to play in the middle? I think that's a little unfair, he has certainly offered more than Foley/Kasim this year.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 14:34:48 pm »

There you go.

A central midfielder covering at right back because he played there a bit when he was younger, and you judge this performance on his ability to play in the middle? I think that's a little unfair, he has certainly offered more than Foley/Kasim this year.

He is promising that’s well documented. His performance at Iron was disappointing compared with that at Gillingham. You think he is wonderful; I don’t yet!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 15:30:32 pm »

........I would certainly have him ahead of most in our midfield pack, I would also rather see our own get games over loan talent (although appreciate that is difficult whilst we are near the bottom end of the league).

I wouldn't agree with that, when he becomes good enough to be 'ahead of most of our midfield' I would play him.  He isn't just yet but he has fantastic potential.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Quintonside

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 15:33:22 pm »

Kasim is useless.

Foley is another where I'm not sure what he is.

If you find a centre mid who does it all, then they wont be sitting in L1 for very long.  Even in the top divisions the days of Vieira and Keane type midfielders are long gone.

I too agree McW needs to be playing games, but when you look at each position on its own in isolation in a 4-2-3-1  formation. Where is he first choice at the moment?

Report Spam   Logged

Member since 2013, 4 years trying to unlock the account and find password. Back in full swing May 2017
The Rauldinho

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 15:40:36 pm »

Kasim is useless.
Foley is another where I'm not sure what he is.
If you find a centre mid who does it all, then they wont be sitting in L1 for very long.  Even in the top divisions the days of Vieira and Keane type midfielders are long gone.
I too agree McW needs to be playing games, but when you look at each position on its own in isolation in a 4-2-3-1  formation. Where is he first choice at the moment?

I would have him as one of the "2", preferably alongside JJOT. the problem we have at the minute he we have some very good players in that area (Poole, Grimes,Crooks, McGugan) so I understand people may want to go with those options. I would prefer to play him and develop him above players that we have on loan, as he can be part of our immediate success (I think) and also generate some money for us if he needs to move on when ready, whereas Poole and Grimes seem destined for either higher league loans or involved in the squad at their clubs.

Is he first choice or not? Have to see who JFH plays in the next few weeks, I think his answer would be no at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 15:51:10 pm »

Our midfield is a tough one to piece together!

Crooks and JJ are 'on paper' our best midfield partnership since Parrish and Hunter. That was 20 years ago. Thats surely the way to go so thats 2 of the midfield 3 sorted.

You've got to start McGugan, no debate. Sorry; I won't hear anybody's argument to stick him on the bench!  Wink

You've then got the *need for a winger/pace. Thats one of Powell/Hoskins/Waters.

You've also got to pick Ingram!

Which does leave the question, where does young McWilliams and the on-loan Poole fit in. When they are all fit, Foley must continue to bide his time whilst the rest of them are surplus to requirements as things stand.

With that in mind, Id be playing McWilliams in the right back slot, BM isn't the terrific 'bombing down the line' player he was last season and before. And McWilliams needs games to develop. He could 'go all the way'….

Tough one, especially now that the run of Sat-Tue-Sat games is almost at an end. At least with the midweek games JFH has a good reason to juggle things about to keep them all happy, Sat-Sat makes that task much harder!

But for now, and with Plymouth away on Tuesday he can still juggle things around a little to keep things fresh. Really looking forward to the game tomorrow, I reckon we will win by 2 goals…3-1 Im going for.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 16:06:05 pm »

Our midfield is a tough one to piece together!

Crooks and JJ are 'on paper' our best midfield partnership since Parrish and Hunter. That was 20 years ago. Thats surely the way to go so thats 2 of the midfield 3 sorted.

You've got to start McGugan, no debate. Sorry; I won't hear anybody's argument to stick him on the bench!  Wink

You've then got the *need for a winger/pace. Thats one of Powell/Hoskins/Waters.

You've also got to pick Ingram!

Which does leave the question, where does young McWilliams and the on-loan Poole fit in. When they are all fit, Foley must continue to bide his time whilst the rest of them are surplus to requirements as things stand.

With that in mind, Id be playing McWilliams in the right back slot, BM isn't the terrific 'bombing down the line' player he was last season and before. And McWilliams needs games to develop. He could 'go all the way'….

Tough one, especially now that the run of Sat-Tue-Sat games is almost at an end. At least with the midweek games JFH has a good reason to juggle things about to keep them all happy, Sat-Sat makes that task much harder!

But for now, and with Plymouth away on Tuesday he can still juggle things around a little to keep things fresh. Really looking forward to the game tomorrow, I reckon we will win by 2 goals…3-1 Im going for.

And where does Grimes fit in to all this?

McGugan and Grimes link up really well together, then it's either JJOT or Crooks in the more advanced role. No place for McWilliams, Foley, Poole or Kasim.

Wide players Hoskins and Powell with Waters and Bowditch as backup. 
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 16:17:14 pm »

It’s all about balance in the midfield as opposed to picking the best 5 players .
You need a combination of skill ( Crooks , Grimes , McGugan ) , strength ( JJOT ) , legs ( Poole , mcWilliams , Foley ) and speed ( Powell , Hoskins , Waters ).
That’s why it’s hard to fit Crooks , Grimes , JJOT and McGugan in the same team.
Having said that , it would be good to see !
JFH also likes to use one of them as a target man .
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 16:18:22 pm »

And where does Grimes fit in to all this?

McGugan and Grimes link up really well together, then it's either JJOT or Crooks in the more advanced role. No place for McWilliams, Foley, Poole or Kasim.

Wide players Hoskins and Powell with Waters and Bowditch as backup. 

I would add that McWilliams can cover at right back but with Phillips closing in on fitness, not for long!

Poole can cover centre half also, but with the signing of McGivern this doesn't look like happening.

Smith and Hanley are not good enough to be played as wingers. Smith can be a decent cover at left back, but again McGivern can do that job and with Barnett fit again I wonder if we really need McGivern at all.    
Report Spam   Logged
Quintonside

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 16:18:45 pm »

The joys of having 200 centre midfielders and 1 proper attacking wide player
Report Spam   Logged

Quintonside

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 16:20:27 pm »

I would add that McWilliams can cover at right back but with Phillips closing in on fitness, not for long!

Poole can cover centre half also, but with the signing of McGivern this doesn't look like happening.

Smith and Hanley are not good enough to be played as wingers. Smith can be a decent cover at left back, but again McGivern can do that job and with Barnett fit again I wonder if we really need McGivern at all.    

He is only here until January anyway
Report Spam   Logged

guest3063

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 16:35:48 pm »

He is only here until January anyway

Some things may change come January. I'm sure Man Utd are monitoring Poole's loan spell, if they don't think he is getting enough games or more importantly in the position they see him playing for them (they may see him as a centre half) they will cancel the loan and send him somewhere else.   

Also, I have a feeling Matt Ingram will be recalled in January. It was strange he wasn't allowed to play in the cup and the reason for the return of Luke Coddington.   
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 17:01:59 pm »

You wouldn’t want to lose any of the players we have on loan in January .
I can’t remember which ones are here for the season and which ones could go back ?
They all look like they are enjoying their time though and are pulling their weight .
Long could be a bit frustrated playing the loan striker role but at least he is a first choice .
Maybe some would sign permanently ?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 19:07:17 pm »

You wouldn’t want to lose any of the players we have on loan in January .
I can’t remember which ones are here for the season and which ones could go back ?
They all look like they are enjoying their time though and are pulling their weight .
Long could be a bit frustrated playing the loan striker role but at least he is a first choice .
Maybe some would sign permanently ?

They all are season long loans.

Matt Ingram's loan definitely involves a recall in January if QPR wish. Don't know if any of the other loans have this same recall in place, I would imagine Regan Poole's could, simply because he's a young player who may not get the required number of games his parent club are looking for. Chris Long and Matt Grimes possibly not, although it could be written in all long term loans. The last thing the parent club wants is for their player to be out on loan but not getting games to help their development.         
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2017, 20:37:24 pm »

Does anyone else think like me in so much as if we win this game we will start becoming play off contenders? Or do I need to stay off the drugs? I tell you one thing though, I’ve got to stay off the 150 lashes. A 2am kick off and beer is not a good combo. Woke up after the Oxford game on me sofa in my pants covered in the large bag of Cheetos I’d brought special.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2017, 21:09:01 pm »

They all are season long loans.

Matt Ingram's loan definitely involves a recall in January if QPR wish. Don't know if any of the other loans have this same recall in place, I would imagine Regan Poole's could, simply because he's a young player who may not get the required number of games his parent club are looking for. Chris Long and Matt Grimes possibly not, although it could be written in all long term loans. The last thing the parent club wants is for their player to be out on loan but not getting games to help their development.         
To be fair , the parent clubs must be pretty happy with how much game time their players have had .
These are the best loans we have had since the days of Stuart Gray.
Credit has to go to JED for that .
Even Ingram was his decision
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: