The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:07:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Iron - AGAIN (H) 18th November

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Iron - AGAIN (H) 18th November  (Read 8281 times)
Quintonside

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2017, 19:28:20 pm »

Love JJOT and he did play well, but if he was so amazing as the big love in on here suggests he would of tucked that header away in the first half and we’d of been 1-0 up.

Thought Long was poor second half, I know he didn’t have much to go on, but he didn’t put himself about much and didn’t put their back four under pressure at all, and then he fluffs his big chance.

Feel sorry for Buchs, he so needs a proper wide man in front of him!
Report Spam   Logged

Member since 2013, 4 years trying to unlock the account and find password. Back in full swing May 2017
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2017, 19:56:42 pm »

It's an absolutely massive week coming up - jfh is going to have to come up with a new plan in the absence of jjot. Hopefully Powell will be fit for Plymouth which will help with us being able to play in the break - god knows what he's going to do to replace John-joe.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2017, 21:50:23 pm »

It's an absolutely massive week coming up - jfh is going to have to come up with a new plan in the absence of jjot. Hopefully Powell will be fit for Plymouth which will help with us being able to play in the break - god knows what he's going to do to replace John-joe.

After todays result that is now very true. Ist half we were good, but we missed at least two decent opportunities. 2nd half we couldn't get going and unfortunately it was a performance reminiscent of the early days of the season. I found it hard to equate today's performance with that of Oxford let alone the second half of the recent cup game where we had a virtual reserve side out! And Oxford won 4-0 away! What we and JFH think is our best side appears on today's showing in agreement, but unbalanced.
For once I don't agree with the plaudits JJOT received today; he was committing himself to some reckless tackles and to me he is not yet back to his form of last season. I thought the intro of Foley was a disappointing moment and he had little or no effect on the game. Still it was JFH decision ; maybe Powell or McW might have been more effective? Makes you worry about the next 2 games!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2017, 21:53:05 pm »

Tim Oglethorpe said he spoke to JJOT who told him he didn't think the injury was too bad, it's his ankle, and he didn't expect to be out long. We certainly missed him second half.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2017, 22:32:21 pm »

After todays result that is now very true. Ist half we were good, but we missed at least two decent opportunities. 2nd half we couldn't get going and unfortunately it was a performance reminiscent of the early days of the season. I found it hard to equate today's performance with that of Oxford let alone the second half of the recent cup game where we had a virtual reserve side out! And Oxford won 4-0 away! What we and JFH think is our best side appears on today's showing in agreement, but unbalanced.
For once I don't agree with the plaudits JJOT received today; he was committing himself to some reckless tackles and to me he is not yet back to his form of last season. I thought the intro of Foley was a disappointing moment and he had little or no effect on the game. Still it was JFH decision ; maybe Powell or McW might have been more effective? Makes you worry about the next 2 games!

That's JJOT though, tackles wise it's what he does. He annoys the opposition and gets in their faces. None of the other do....
Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2017, 05:07:12 am »

If you field a side without strikers of ability then you can't win matches. It's been a glaring problem for ages.
Report Spam   Logged
ajp

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2017, 05:10:55 am »

Actually Long is a half decent striker, he missed (it was a bad miss) one chance yesterday can't remember him having any others?, the problem is we're not creating anything for him! Two wingers in Jan maybe?
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2017, 06:52:55 am »

We are all abundantly aware but the damning stat that we have only scored 6 goals in 9 home games (and 9 in 9 away games for that matter) says it all. There have been times in many of those home games when I've sat there thinking in the second half that we wouldn't score a goal if we had been out there until midnight. Our biggest problem - apart from the obvious lack of goals - is the apparent lack of leadership and the way we completely collapse when we experience adversity (mostly at home), why that is I have no idea but worryingly neither it seems does JFH.
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2017, 07:13:34 am »

If you field a side without strikers of ability then you can't win matches. It's been a glaring problem for ages.

If only we had a Young striker we could give an opportunity to in the absence of goals........hang on we do and he's scored about 15 or so whilst out on loan. #getjoeback
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2017, 07:24:05 am »

True, Irchy.  Whilst I think JFH made the wrong choice with Foley it doesn't explain why we endured another 2nd half collapse.  In the 2nd half I think it was the 81st minute before we had one shot on target and that highlights a major problem area.  Part of the problem has to be the type of players that make up a balanced midfield. Possibly you can only play 2 out of McCugan, Grimes and Crooks, none of whom are what you can describe as ball winners.  To me that is a major problem.  Steve Riches is right in highlighting the failure of the club for the past 2 years to sign a proven striker. I say club because it is not only down to the manager at the time although signing Revell when we have Richards and Waters when we have Hoskins is the football equivalent of cloning and has given JFH a huge problem.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2017, 07:41:43 am »

True, Irchy.  Whilst I think JFH made the wrong choice with Foley it doesn't explain why we endured another 2nd half collapse.  In the 2nd half I think it was the 81st minute before we had one shot on target and that highlights a major problem area.  Part of the problem has to be the type of players that make up a balanced midfield. Possibly you can only play 2 out of McCugan, Grimes and Crooks, none of whom are what you can describe as ball winners.  To me that is a major problem.  Steve Riches is right in highlighting the failure of the club for the past 2 years to sign a proven striker. I say club because it is not only down to the manager at the time although signing Revell when we have Richards and Waters when we have Hoskins is the football equivalent of cloning and has given JFH a huge problem.

Agreed - I know hindsight is 20/20 but foley going on for jjot was possibly the last of the options that should have been used. I was very surprised that Poole didn’t come on and even more surprised that foley was played where he was.
Report Spam   Logged
Buster

View Profile
Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2017, 07:50:47 am »

Little credit seems to be given to Sc***horpe on here.  They have pace and possibly the trickiest little player in the division in Duane Holmes, who incidentally was onside for their 2nd. His quickness also foxed Ingram for their third.  To top it all they are the team bang in form right now - maybe we were just unlucky enough to have met them at the worst time...

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/form-guide/four

Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
!
« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2017, 09:19:36 am »

Actually Long is a half decent striker, he missed (it was a bad miss) one chance yesterday can't remember him having any others?, the problem is we're not creating anything for him! Two wingers in Jan maybe?
Correct - he's HALF decent!
Report Spam   Logged
Joes Sweet Left Foot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2017, 09:51:08 am »

Having watched both the Oxford game and yesterday's game I would say that the first half performance against the Irons was as good as the performance against Oxford. In both games we started slowly but gradually came into it and started bossing the midfield with some stunning passes from Grimes and McGughan. We certainly created enough changes first half to have taken the lead going into the break.

The big difference however was the opposition. While Oxford liked to keep possession they lacked the pace and athleticism of Sc***horpe so the team we put out was easily good enough to nullify the threat. However against Sc***horpe, JFH simply picked the wrong team which became evident in the second half when we were completely overrun. We needed the energy of McWilliams and some width on the left to provide an out ball. Crooks was poor in the position he was asked to play, Foley didn't really get in the game, and McGuchan faded badly.

I don't know how Plymouth play but JFH must simply pick the side that nullifies the opposition and then hope there is enough quality in the team to make and take the few chances needed to win the game, Expect to see McWiliams, Poole and possibly Powell back in the team and go for a better balanced set up.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2017, 10:06:13 am »

Having watched both the Oxford game and yesterday's game I would say that the first half performance against the Irons was as good as the performance against Oxford. In both games we started slowly but gradually came into it and started bossing the midfield with some stunning passes from Grimes and McGughan. We certainly created enough changes first half to have taken the lead going into the break.

The big difference however was the opposition. While Oxford liked to keep possession they lacked the pace and athleticism of Sc***horpe so the team we put out was easily good enough to nullify the threat. However against Sc***horpe, JFH simply picked the wrong team which became evident in the second half when we were completely overrun. We needed the energy of McWilliams and some width on the left to provide an out ball. Crooks was poor in the position he was asked to play, Foley didn't really get in the game, and McGuchan faded badly.

I don't know how Plymouth play but JFH must simply pick the side that nullifies the opposition and then hope there is enough quality in the team to make and take the few chances needed to win the game, Expect to see McWiliams, Poole and possibly Powell back in the team and go for a better balanced set up.

I wasn't at yesterday's game but we started like a souped up drag racer at Oxford, they didn't get out of their half for the first 15-20 minutes.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2017, 12:17:40 pm »

Yes, too right Deepcut. We could have been 4-0 up after 20 minutes (at Oxford)!

With regards to yesterday. It was our strongest side fielded this season, and I felt first half (first 10 minutes aside) it showed. We looked more than a match for the (now) 4th best team in the division and played some lovely football, creating a handful of chances. The stats at half time supported this, Sc***horpe hadn't managed a single shot other than the one DB cleared off the line and hadn't even won a corner. Then JJ went off injured…

Crooks, he had dominated the his opponent throughout, moved into the centre and disappeared. Foley may well have not even been there. Waters, who was in my opinion our best player in the first half was totally nullified and McGugan barely touched the ball. Essentially the midfield battle which we easily won in the first half was completely lost as a result of one player going off and the reshuffle that resulted in it. In hindsight (was that needed though?) Poole should have come on, straight swap. Or even our young prodigy. Would we have capitulated if that had happened? Who knows.

It was the same when we played them in the cup as well (first time). JJ was subbed, we totally lost our way. Which does provide more evidence that when JJ isn't involved, we are far less effective as a team. And thats even the case when JJ isn't even playing that well. He was alright yesterday (7 out of 10) but nothing standout but his sheer presence is so important to the team.

I guess we will find out next week if we can replace him , after all we did dine out on Crooks involvement in the early days of JFH's tenure. As soon as he got suspended/injured we fell apart…until JJ came back into the fold.

As for the calls to play the young kid on loan at Chesham, I'm pretty certain that if he'd have played yesterday instead of Long we'd have still lost 3-0. That really wasn't the issue. But with this one up front malarky, the player at the top of the Christmas tree needs to possess pace and power. Long has the pace but not the power. And Rico has the power but nothing else these days. Ditto Revs. We have to find 'the complete league1 striker' in January IF we are to move up the league. And of course we need another winger.

Yesterday showed once more that its those two areas, and our reliance on JJ where we currently sit with things. Nothings changed from Oxford, if we'd taken one of those first half chances and if JJ hadn't of got injured, we'd probably have won or at least took a point. We go again on Tuesday!
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2017, 13:19:52 pm »

Can’t really argue with much of that drilling. On the subject of January I thought Chris freestone made a valid point when he said that wanting a quality striker and 1 or 2 wide players is one thing but getting them is another. Who is going to want to lose a prolific striker in January when their side is likely to be fighting relegation or going for promotion/the playoffs? I know money talks but if you factor in that much bigger clubs than us are going to be looking at the market it’s going to be more difficult than we think. What I think may happen is that we’ll look at either the foreign/loan market rather than permanent and then it becomes a bit of a lottery.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2017, 13:30:22 pm »

Can’t really argue with much of that drilling. On the subject of January I thought Chris freestone made a valid point when he said that wanting a quality striker and 1 or 2 wide players is one thing but getting them is another. Who is going to want to lose a prolific striker in January when their side is likely to be fighting relegation or going for promotion/the playoffs? I know money talks but if you factor in that much bigger clubs than us are going to be looking at the market it’s going to be more difficult than we think. What I think may happen is that we’ll look at either the foreign/loan market rather than permanent and then it becomes a bit of a lottery.

I'd argue that signing any striker at our level is a lottery. But I think we'd be looking at strikers in the championship who are maybe on the fringes of the first team... plenty out there.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
BrixworthCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2017, 13:34:26 pm »

Crooks was woefeul, I've not been to all the games this year but every single one I have been to this guy has never impressed me.

Does he even care? The least interested looking player I've seen for a long time.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2017, 13:57:55 pm »

I wonder if he might have a striker from the Dutch league lined up as a quick fix till the end of the season?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: