The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 12:29:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Northampton NIL

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northampton NIL  (Read 6022 times)
guest2539

Badges: (View All)
« on: November 22, 2017, 09:03:36 am »

As it is now more than half our games we have failed to score surely the answer is NOT to play Long upfront on his own!!!

If as a defender you know one mistake will probably cost you the game, this adds even more pressure on the team. We had a similar feeling under Atkins on occasions when the opposition scored you thought a draw is the best we can hope for.
Conversley if a striker thinks he will only get one chance created for him in a game, again this adds pressure to the player.
The eathos of the team originates from the manager and on his arrival previous clubs fans stated he was too cautious and I believe we are seeing that come to fruition.

The entertainment value for fans is decreasing.

It is stating the obvious that we are putting all our hopes into staying in touch until January 1st and then signing two pacey strikers and a winger to give us a chance of League 1 football next season.

Also for those who state we need to offload ten players, one question, who too?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 09:49:11 am »

what's your solution then?

no-one can do the job on their own.
Revell is injured
Richards is past it
LL is on loan and not coming back
JI is on loan and not coming back

that leaves.......bowditch? waters?

shame

Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 10:51:51 am »

got to try something different!!

We do not have anyone who can play on their own up front.

Richards could still do a job as part of a front two (IMO).....Bowditch has not been tried as a striker with us has he? Waters rarely played up front despite his goal tally last season.

LL and JI not coming back........why not? As many say they can't do any worse!

Can we afford to sit around and not try anything until January? Even then....who do you think we'd get in a mid-season transfer window? We'd have to pay out a bit of cash to get a proven striker, or if we got an untested rookie on loan that would be a g*mble.....and not much better than at least having a look at our own youngsters (again IMO)

Why not try 4-3-3...why not play the unused CB up front (in a head on a stick role), why not bring back one or both of the youngsters? Why not try something different?

Why not? Because JFH is choosing not to. He tinkers about with the personnel......but the system doesn't seem to change much!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
ajp

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 11:34:28 am »

Richards/Long plus Waters for me, he is a striker NOT a winger. Get someone around rico he could still do a job imo.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2539

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 11:36:16 am »

My opinion for a solution is to change the intent shown by JFH's selection.

We are not creating, let alone, scoring enough chances presently with one up front. Whilst we need new attacking options on January 1st until then Long must have more players alongside and sprinting beyond him in matches so we have options in the box. If that is Waters alongside Long, and not on the distant wing, or another player so be it.

I reiterate the intent starts with JFH's selection whose formation I disagree with.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:40:35 am »

Richards/Long plus Waters for me, he is a striker NOT a winger. Get someone around rico he could still do a job imo.
Rico was terrible last night, IMO he needs to either drop down a couple of leagues if he wants to carry on playing or pack up now because he can't cut it at League 1 level now. He's been a really good lower league striker, but now he's tarnishing his reputation, he should go out before he does anymore damage to his reputation.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 13:24:28 pm »

Need to pay Richards and Revell off in January, Waters looks poor so far, Bowditch is not good enough. Long is no good up front on his own, but we have nobody who is good enough to play alongside him.
 The Transfer window is make or break for the Club, get it right (Two Decent Forwards, Commanding midfield player and two fullbacks ) get it wrong and we are back in League Two for the duration.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Battery Man

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 13:27:36 pm »

I think we have about 3/4 of a decent side ability wise, what we need is a couple of strikers a winger and another John Joe who fights for everything. I think the biggest problem with our side is that when John Joe isn't on the pitch there appears to be very little heart for a battle. When he is on the pitch everyone seems to raise their game. If we had one or two more with that attitude we would soon move up the table. I was speaking to a mate of mine who is a Wrexham fan earlier and he said it is the worst team on paper they have had for a long time yet they are top of th league, all down to team spirit, it is the one thing we appear to be missing more than anything else. If you look back at the Atkins era, his teams weren't the best in terms of quality but they had tremendous team spirit and fought for everything, if one got nailed 5 others went after the player that did him, thats the sort of spirit we need here and maybe we need to be more vocal and encouraging to get the players fired up.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 13:38:50 pm »

.........................................if one got nailed 5 others went after the player that did him, thats the sort of spirit we need here and maybe we need to be more vocal and encouraging to get the players fired up.

Appreciate the sentiment, but not sure about needing 5 players to nail the offender. Would have thought that JJOT on his own would suffice.

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Battery Man

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 13:50:58 pm »

True he does but, it was more as an illustration of how the team spirit needs to be better
Report Spam   Logged
guest2235

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 15:45:20 pm »

Last Saturday he put Foley on in place of JJ to play off the front man. Foley was hopeless, what a surprise, not HIS POSITION. He then moved him to left side of midfield and he was hopeless, what a surprise, not HIS POSITION. Crooks has played everywhere but in the middle of a two which is his preferred position. He has played Revell right wing, McGugan left wing and generally gets his tactical substitutions wrong. I'm sure a lot of the players are thinking the same..... does he really know what he's doing??
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 16:23:11 pm »

Last Saturday he put Foley on in place of JJ to play off the front man. Foley was hopeless, what a surprise, not HIS POSITION. He then moved him to left side of midfield and he was hopeless, what a surprise, not HIS POSITION. Crooks has played everywhere but in the middle of a two which is his preferred position. He has played Revell right wing, McGugan left wing and generally gets his tactical substitutions wrong. I'm sure a lot of the players are thinking the same..... does he really know what he's doing??

I do mostly agree, but I think there is a bit of trying to get the best out of limited squad ie 1 winger, lots of midfield players and no quality up front. This is the reason JFH is experimenting with players in the wrong positions. When Powell, Hoskins and JJOT were fit, it is no coincidence we had our best spell of six games undefeated. Since then it has gone back down hill big time.

What we have discovered is Powell is a team player as JFH suggested in interviews, Hoskins has pace to worry teams and JJOT is, well JJOT. We need them back quick.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 16:25:28 pm »

At least you do!
Report Spam   Logged

guest2235

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 17:51:42 pm »

At least you do!
Just writing what I see, isn’t that the point of this forum?
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 04:26:58 am »

We are not creating, let alone, scoring enough chances presently with one up front.

Completely disagree - across the last two league games I have seen (Scunny & Oxford), we created at least 8/9 goal scoring chances.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 08:30:49 am »

Completely disagree - across the last two league games I have seen (Scunny & Oxford), we created at least 8/9 goal scoring chances.

According to the BBC stats, not the more biased NTFC stats we had....

14 shots in the 0-3 defeat to Scunny (4 on target) and 8 corners with 53% possession
8 shots in the 0-2 defeat to Plymouth (1 on target), 4 corners and 53% possession
14 shots in the 2-1 win over Oxford (4 on target), 8 corners and 45% possession.

So in those three games we've had 36 shots and scored twice.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 09:08:13 am »

According to the BBC stats, not the more biased NTFC stats we had

So in those three games we've had 36 shots and scored twice.

So is it right to assume we are creating chances ?
Report Spam   Logged

GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 09:32:28 am »

So is it right to assume we are creating chances ?

On those stats.....I’d say so!!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 09:41:58 am »

devils advocate.............is a shot from 35 yards out for example considered a chance?
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 09:49:07 am »

devils advocate.............is a shot from 35 yards out for example considered a chance?

Depends who’s doing the shooting!! If it was a Grimes type then yeah it’s a chance, if it was Aaron Pierre then less of a chance!!

If it wasn’t a chance then why would they shoot??!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: