The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 10:44:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Best midfield option

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best midfield option  (Read 1414 times)
Joes Sweet Left Foot

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« on: November 23, 2017, 11:51:54 am »

Given the fact we seem to be well-endowed with midfielders, at least nine spring to mind;- Grimes, McGuchan, JJOT, Foley, Kasim, Bowditch, Poole, McWilliams, and Crooks, I wonder what most folks see as our best balanced midfield.

Imagine for a minute that JH decides to play 4-3-3 and has to choose just 3 midfielders from that lot, so as to play for sake of argument Richards, Long and Hoskins/Powell up front, which combination gives us the best balance.

For me the best combination of energy, strength, tenacity and creativity would be McWilliams, JJOT and Grimes.  Poole, Crooks and McGuchan would all be 2nd choice, and Bowditch, Kasim and Foley 3rd choice.

Which midfield combination would other people choose?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Moocher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 12:02:58 pm »

I'd try the 3 you suggest in midfield.
Poole centre half with Taylor
Mcguchan and Crooks behind the centre forward (probably Richards)
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 12:49:48 pm »

Given the fact we seem to be well-endowed with midfielders, at least nine spring to mind;- Grimes, McGuchan, JJOT, Foley, Kasim, Bowditch, Poole, McWilliams, and Crooks, I wonder what most folks see as our best balanced midfield.

Imagine for a minute that JH decides to play 4-3-3 and has to choose just 3 midfielders from that lot, so as to play for sake of argument Richards, Long and Hoskins/Powell up front, which combination gives us the best balance.

For me the best combination of energy, strength, tenacity and creativity would be McWilliams, JJOT and Grimes.  Poole, Crooks and McGuchan would all be 2nd choice, and Bowditch, Kasim and Foley 3rd choice.

I agree with your selection , but where I find it difficult to assess the capabilities of above trio is that the trio selected v Skun Cup second half did ok! In fact better than the midfield on Tuesday and part last Saturday. Perhaps the trio selected for the Cup are more effective as a unit than their more illustrious team mates? No wonder JFH tinkers around.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 12:51:12 pm »

i'd be more concerned with that terrible front 3
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 13:05:34 pm »

Who wouldn't be!

For me _:

l to r
Ingram

Smith - Poole - Taylor - Mahoney
   Grimes   - JJOT -  McWilliams

McCugan or Crooks

Powell      Long

Report Spam   Logged

Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 13:15:02 pm »

That's the thing. We will not see the best from our talented central midfielders until we sort out our forwards. I really hope our recruitment team pull a full gems out in (early) January. We need two wingers and a striker at a minimum.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 13:48:08 pm »

That's the thing. We will not see the best from our talented central midfielders until we sort out our forwards. I really hope our recruitment team pull a full gems out in (early) January. We need two wingers and a striker at a minimum.

Possibly only one winger as Powell appears to be coming good. We may need another midfielder!! a la JJOT.
Report Spam   Logged

guest3063

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 14:42:21 pm »

I agree with your selection , but where I find it difficult to assess the capabilities of above trio is that the trio selected v Skun Cup second half did ok! In fact better than the midfield on Tuesday and part last Saturday. Perhaps the trio selected for the Cup are more effective as a unit than their more illustrious team mates? No wonder JFH tinkers around.

Don't you dare suggest he tinkers!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 15:03:08 pm »

I'd probably agree with the midfield of McWilliams, JJOT and Grimes.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 15:19:39 pm »

Maybe, but just a short time ago, the very opposite was being said - that the forwards are not getting any service from our midfield...thus no goals!
Still would prefer Crooks there, and does have the ability to push up...kinda seen at Plymouth on Tue.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 17:15:02 pm »

I'd try the 3 you suggest in midfield.
Poole centre half with Taylor
Mcguchan and Crooks behind the centre forward (probably Richards)
I like your thinking.
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 18:31:00 pm »

Anybody want to put a bet on how long it will take for someone to spell Lewis' name right?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 18:36:22 pm »

McMeister?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 18:50:49 pm »

That's not right is it?
We already have Shaun senior and Cameron junior Mcmeister.
Lewmeister then.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 21:24:39 pm »

I think each one of us has picked a different combination and each one has failed .
Oxford was a one off because of how they set up at home .
We need a combination of pace , guile and legs .
The main thing is , those that are selected have to perform .
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 21:46:22 pm »

We've got too many central midfielders and not enough wide players or strikers ( except the two out on loan who clearly aren't going to get a look in) to come up with a combination that will work effectively and consistently. JFH changes it so often because he can. If we had a smaller pool to choose from it might be more consistent.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 07:28:14 am »

ingram

poole
taylor
pierre

mcwilliams
crooks
JJOT
Smith

grimes
mcgugan

long
Report Spam   Logged
Gaston

No one says no to Gaston!

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 11:33:23 am »

I would like it to be Crooks, JJOT & McWilliams. I would use Poole whilst JJOT is injured. We have no natural width at the moment. Play to our strengths.
Report Spam   Logged

Hugs and Kisses xoxox
guest3103

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 12:19:14 pm »

I wouldn't consider Poole or Crooks for my centre midfield, just McWilliams, Grimes and JJOT if everyone's fit. Try and get rid of Kasim and Foley in the window and bring a ballwinner in. I'm not sure about McGugan, maybe back up for Grimes or a false nine role.

It pains me to say but perhaps Jimmy should have a go at playing the 3-5-2 until the transfer window and try to get more out of them than Edinburgh did with wing backs.

Ingram

Taylor    Poole      Barnett

Moloney                                                    Smith

McWilliams    JJOT    Grimes   

Long          Waters

Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 11:03:28 am »

I think we learnt a few things yesterday .
Only Grimes ( always wants the ball ) and Crooks ( when he can be bothered ) show any movement at all .
Playing McWilliams wide doesn’t work unless we are protecting a lead , Bowditch offers very little and Poole isn’t as good as McWilliams in the middle in my opinion .
It might be time to play Crooks centrally but further forward .
How many times can this pack be shuffled ?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: