The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 00:58:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

January 2018 Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 88   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January 2018 Transfer Rumours Thread  (Read 126856 times)
guest2995

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #780 on: January 10, 2018, 09:15:58 am »

If that is a summary of what you believe JFH's thoughts to be then you've got O'Toole in the wrong place, he's shown no desire to play him deeper despite most of us lot thinking he's better there.

Would he not keep Moloney / Phillips and Buchs as backup to new first choice full backs, or do we think they wouldn't stay / would be too expensive as a backup?

Also, if we are playing a solo striker would we want 4 in the squad? 3 would probably be sufficient with maybe Iaciofano as a cheap wild card backup if he progresses?
And also , Waters has never once played as a striker , or Coddington in preference to Cornell. Foley has also rarely played on the middle and deep , despite it probably being his natural position .
One of the right backs will be kept I would think .
Report Spam   Logged
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #781 on: January 10, 2018, 09:49:19 am »

He's only playing one up front because in our current situation that is the only option available for us.

Any squad needs four strikers to provide flexibility, variety, cover and competition.

Striker 1 - Target man type used when need to play direct / chasing a game. Chips in 5 or 6 goals a season
Striker 2 - Mobile workhorse type who can score 10-12 goals a season (Long)
Striker 3 - Goalscorer / fox in box type who can score 15 goals a season (Richards in his prime)
Striker 4 - Quick, pacey type who can stretch teams / be an impact substitute who chips in with 5 or 6 goals a season

Our promotion season had this balance perfectly with Richards, Collins / DCL, Marquis and Hoskins.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 10, 2018, 10:01:26 am »

He's only playing one up front because in our current situation that is the only option available for us.

Are you sure about this? He could have paired Long with Rico, Revell, Waters and Hoskins pretty much every game he has been in charge. JFH predominantly played 1 up front at Burton and QPR as well I believe, it seems to be his preference.
Report Spam   Logged
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #783 on: January 10, 2018, 10:37:02 am »

He might prefer one up front but he did play Revell & Long together a couple of times earlier in the season so I wouldn't entirely discount it. It'll be interesting to see the forwards he brings in
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 10, 2018, 11:02:02 am »

He might prefer one up front but he did play Revell & Long together a couple of times earlier in the season so I wouldn't entirely discount it. It'll be interesting to see the forwards he brings in

Agree on both counts just think in his ideal squad he will have no more than 3 strikers. I guess you can add Hoskins as a fourth as you mentioned with the promotion season but JFH clearly see's him as more of a wide player.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #785 on: January 10, 2018, 11:16:25 am »

Are you sure about this? He could have paired Long with Rico, Revell, Waters and Hoskins pretty much every game he has been in charge. JFH predominantly played 1 up front at Burton and QPR as well I believe, it seems to be his preference.

Rico has been disappointing, Hoskins and Revell injured, with Waters you may have a case. Is he deemed by current management good enough?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 10, 2018, 11:32:20 am »

Rico has been disappointing, Hoskins and Revell injured, with Waters you may have a case. Is he deemed by current management good enough?

No argument from me that the current striking options have been underwhelming (although I'd still argue that has much to do with poor service), was just pointing out that if Jimmy's preference was for 2 up front he's had ample opportunity to do it. It's not like the midfielders have been demanding selection and therefore we've had to play 5 each game.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #787 on: January 10, 2018, 11:41:51 am »

Revell Injured??? PLEASE!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #788 on: January 10, 2018, 11:46:35 am »

Any squad needs four strikers to provide flexibility, variety, cover and competition.
Striker 1 - Target man type used when need to play direct / chasing a game. Chips in 5 or 6 goals a season
Striker 2 - Mobile workhorse type who can score 10-12 goals a season (Long)
Striker 3 - Goalscorer / fox in box type who can score 15 goals a season (Richards in his prime)
Striker 4 - Quick, pacey type who can stretch teams / be an impact substitute who chips in with 5 or 6 goals a season
Our promotion season had this balance perfectly with Richards, Collins / DCL, Marquis and Hoskins.

Striker 1 could be Revs, he should manage that amount of goals if he can stay fit and certainly works hard for the cause if we ever get this high pressing game going properly.

Striker 2 is Long as you suggest, if we can get him the service/players around him then he can reach that target.

Striker 4 could still be Hoskins, or maybe even Waters if they get a run of games up front. Sammy has looked threatening enough with the ball since returning from injury. It just depends if he starts finding the net. Waters has had one game up front that I recall, I think he should be given a chance at least or if JFH doesn'r rate him then he should be offloaded if possible.

Striker 3 is what we are looking at for me, but only if we are playing two upfront. Nobody is going to want to sign on permanently to share the main striking role with Long that could net that many goals I wouldn't have thought. We would be lucky to get another loanee of Long's quality unless JFH works some magic.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #789 on: January 10, 2018, 12:05:37 pm »

For what other reason has he been absent?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
lodgeadam

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #790 on: January 10, 2018, 12:06:43 pm »

Any rumours?
Report Spam   Logged

--- 'Shoe Army' is THE worst chant ever! --- Twitter @lodgeadam
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 10, 2018, 12:11:18 pm »

Striker 1 could be Revs, he should manage that amount of goals if he can stay fit and certainly works hard for the cause if we ever get this high pressing game going properly.

Striker 2 is Long as you suggest, if we can get him the service/players around him then he can reach that target.

Striker 4 could still be Hoskins, or maybe even Waters if they get a run of games up front. Sammy has looked threatening enough with the ball since returning from injury. It just depends if he starts finding the net. Waters has had one game up front that I recall, I think he should be given a chance at least or if JFH doesn'r rate him then he should be offloaded if possible.

Striker 3 is what we are looking at for me, but only if we are playing two upfront. Nobody is going to want to sign on permanently to share the main striking role with Long that could net that many goals I wouldn't have thought. We would be lucky to get another loanee of Long's quality unless JFH works some magic.

Striker 4 - Hoskins finishing and decision making in the final 3rd is awful - there is no way on this planet he will ever score 10 goals a year let alone 15 unless he signficantly improves - he is league 2 at very best - same with Waters
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 10, 2018, 12:13:06 pm »

For what other reason has he been absent?

I would have thought his reaction/celebration on Saturday alongside Jimmy's reaction and subsequent interview should tell you everything you need to know
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #793 on: January 10, 2018, 12:21:10 pm »

I would have thought his reaction/celebration on Saturday alongside Jimmy's reaction and subsequent interview should tell you everything you need to know

No? His first game back after a prolonged injury absence, he scores and he celebrates.
Unless you are aware of another rumour?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 10, 2018, 12:21:37 pm »

Yes he WAS!

post edit : 'was' in the past tense.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 13:41:29 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

Parklands Cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #795 on: January 10, 2018, 12:27:53 pm »

i hear Revell has had the same injury as Bowditch now is suffering from.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 10, 2018, 12:38:06 pm »

Striker 4 - Hoskins finishing and decision making in the final 3rd is awful - there is no way on this planet he will ever score 10 goals a year let alone 15 unless he signficantly improves - he is league 2 at very best - same with Waters

Striker 4 in Poggy's list was only down for 5 or 6 a season, I reckon Hoskins could get close.

Re: Waters, I'd like to reserve judgement on him until I've seen him play a run of games up front.

The only game I remember him starting up front was when we went with the twin aerial threat of him and Hoskins and spent all day pumping it up to them. If we've decided he is not good enough then we're fully trusting Jimmy's judgement, in which case we also need to trust him on Lobjoit/Iaciofano as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 10, 2018, 12:53:21 pm »

i hear Revell has had the same injury as Bowditch now is suffering from.

Funny that hey ;0)
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 10, 2018, 13:01:17 pm »

I honestly believe JFH told Revell he was coming on. Patted him on the back, and said; "Show me why on earth you think you should be playing in my team".

Revell subsequently scores, and starts shout; "That's why!".

I don't see any other reason Revell would be shouting "That's why"?

All this being said. If Saturday comes about, and Revell isn't in the matchday squad... then I'll agree it'll be down to 'personal issues'.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 10, 2018, 13:12:29 pm »

I honestly believe JFH told Revell he was coming on. Patted him on the back, and said; "Show me why on earth you think you should be playing in my team".

Revell subsequently scores, and starts shout; "That's why!".

I don't see any other reason Revell would be shouting "That's why"?

All this being said. If Saturday comes about, and Revell isn't in the matchday squad... then I'll agree it'll be down to 'personal issues'.

In the absence of a decent target man; after his well taken goal on Saturday I would hope Revell plays as he has plenty to prove with his career here in the balance.His wife works locally!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 88   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: