The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 13:53:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Pompey (A) Checkatrade Trophy (R2) 2/12 (12.30pm)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pompey (A) Checkatrade Trophy (R2) 2/12 (12.30pm)  (Read 4859 times)
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 08:22:38 am »

How dare you put Bowditch in the team!  Huh?

Okay, just for you!  Wink:

Cornell

Moloney Poole Barnett Smith

Foley McWilliams

Waters  McGugan Hanley

Lobjoit
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 08:31:03 am »

Cornell

Moloney Taylor McGivern Smith

Poole McWilliams

Waters McGugan Bowditch

Richards
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 08:45:39 am »

We were awful lads and looked like relegation fodder - admit it and move on .

Awful, really? We have limited options in attack/wide positions in our squad as it is, thanks to the recruitment of the previous manager. Those options were severely diminished last week due to the absence of Powell, O'Toole, Hoskins and Revell. Despite this we created more than enough chances to beat Bury, but were unfortunately unable to take them.

No, we weren't brilliant, and yes it's frustrating that we are playing square pegs in round holes e.g. Crooks left wing, but it's what the manager has to work with right now and we have to accept it until it can be changed in Jan.

Awful is how I'd describe the 1-4 defeat by Wycombe in Boothroyd's last game, or the 3-4 home defeat by Hereford, or the performances at the start of the Johnson era.

JFH is doing his best to turn us in to a hard to beat L1 side, which with a few exceptions (Bristol R, Sc***horpe) is working. Give the bloke a chance.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 08:59:36 am »

We were awful lads and looked like relegation fodder - admit it and move on .

Seems you are a top man manager Roll Eyes.......can remember a fluky win at Stanley some years ago under CW where he praised/massaged the side. I find your constant pronouncements on last Saturday game extremely negative.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:08:33 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 09:07:04 am »

Awful, really?

We really were. Drawing 0-0 at home against one of two teams below us really is awful and relegation fodder. Hard to disagree with this.

We won't get many games easier than Bury at home.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 09:09:38 am »

We really were. Drawing 0-0 at home against one of two teams below us really is awful and relegation fodder. Hard to disagree with this.

Another great man manager!
Report Spam   Logged

Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2017, 09:16:27 am »

Another great man manager!

The players won't need explaining in great detail that losing to the bottom placed team, followed by drawing 0-0 with second bottom placed team is a terrible run of two games. All depends on your ambition and standards. If you enjoy League Two football, then so be it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest2677

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 09:52:52 am »

The players won't need explaining in great detail that losing to the bottom placed team, followed by drawing 0-0 with second bottom placed team is a terrible run of two games. All depends on your ambition and standards. If you enjoy League Two football, then so be it.
Would you still describe OUR performance on Saturday

I'll give that ago then, with a question.
Would you still describe OUR performance on Saturday as awful if the opposition had been Wigan?

Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 10:03:37 am »

Would you still describe OUR performance on Saturday as awful if the opposition had been Wigan?

Weird comparison (and impossible to make), as we played a team 25 points and 22 league postions worse off. From this, you would assume a 0-0 at Bury would translate into approximately a very dominant win for Wigan? But we all know football doesn't work like that, as they only narrowly beat us whilst it was fellow relegation candidates, Bristol Rovers who hit us for 6.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest2677

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 11:27:29 am »

Weird comparison (and impossible to make), as we played a team 25 points and 22 league postions worse off. From this, you would assume a 0-0 at Bury would translate into approximately a very dominant win for Wigan? But we all know football doesn't work like that, as they only narrowly beat us whilst it was fellow relegation candidates, Bristol Rovers who hit us for 6.
Not weird at all in my book. They top our league which is why I used them. Your reminder of the Rovers result strengthens the point.
You can't play the oppositions game for them, it was another league one side not Man City.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 12:56:45 pm »

Not weird at all in my book. They top our league which is why I used them. Your reminder of the Rovers result strengthens the point.
You can't play the oppositions game for them, it was another league one side not Man City.

Okay, it's not a weird comparison. For arguments sake, Wigan rolled into Northampton last Saturday. They decided to play like relegation fodder for a bit of a joke, and we matched them in all departments resulting in a terribly boring match for all sides involved. I'll be disappointed not to take advantage of this.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2017, 13:23:37 pm »

I am sure that the players wont need reminding that they had a poor result against Plymouth! As for Bury it was a boring game, but to label it as a terrible result is over reaction. The main thing we did not lose or even concede a goal. Somehow JFH has to keep his players confidence levels up; not easy after the booing last Saturday. Its called man management - any self respecting captain of any sports side would publicly support his players. If you were at the last Trust Meeting it was evident he (JFH) was greatly supportive of those players who failed to score and their performance on the day. Most supporters wish the Club to do well and climb the league. I doubt many wish to return L2 Roll Eyes.
IMO your opinion smacks of 'toys out the pram' after a disappointing result. Perhaps you might consider adopting a more flexible outlook particularly when man management comes into play.

E&OE.
Report Spam   Logged

guest2995

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2017, 13:28:43 pm »

Awful, really? We have limited options in attack/wide positions in our squad as it is, thanks to the recruitment of the previous manager. Those options were severely diminished last week due to the absence of Powell, O'Toole, Hoskins and Revell. Despite this we created more than enough chances to beat Bury, but were unfortunately unable to take them.

No, we weren't brilliant, and yes it's frustrating that we are playing square pegs in round holes e.g. Crooks left wing, but it's what the manager has to work with right now and we have to accept it until it can be changed in Jan.

Awful is how I'd describe the 1-4 defeat by Wycombe in Boothroyd's last game, or the 3-4 home defeat by Hereford, or the performances at the start of the Johnson era.

JFH is doing his best to turn us in to a hard to beat L1 side, which with a few exceptions (Bristol R, Sc***horpe) is working. Give the bloke a chance.
Yep , awful and relegation fodder is exactly what I meant .
Two terrible teams that barely put three consecutive passes together throughout the entire match.
We know all the excuses about lack of balance , but that doesn’t stop the verdict .
JFH , Moloney and Buchs can use propaganda to convince themselves, but that standard of football is well below acceptable .
As for man management - I’m sorry that’s not my job ..
Having said that I wouldn’t boo unless no effort was being made .
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2017, 13:33:50 pm »

Okay, it's not a weird comparison. For arguments sake, Wigan rolled into Northampton last Saturday. They decided to play like relegation fodder for a bit of a joke, and we matched them in all departments resulting in a terribly boring match for all sides involved. I'll be disappointed not to take advantage of this.
You said it, we lose 1-0 to Wigan away and get steamrolled by Rovers 0-6 at home. This is league one, go figure.
I didn't agree with Jimmy that we played really well and said so, but I disagree we played awful. We had enough chances to win the game.
I'm saying people's judgement on our own performance is affected by what colour shirt the opposition are wearing.
If it were Wigan, awful would probably become OK in an apologists mind, inspiite of the fact we would have played the same.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2017, 13:34:21 pm »

IMO your opinion smacks of 'toys out the pram' after a disappointing result. Perhaps you might consider adopting a more flexible outlook particularly when man management comes into play.

E&OE.

A. It's not 'a disappointing result'. It's literally the whole campaign that has left us struggling to leave the relegation zone.
B. I wasn't discussing man management at all? I'm really not sure as to your point here... ?
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest2677

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2017, 13:41:17 pm »

Yep , awful and relegation fodder is exactly what I meant .
Two terrible teams that barely put three consecutive passes together throughout the entire match.
We know all the excuses about lack of balance , but that doesn’t stop the verdict .
JFH , Moloney and Buchs can use propaganda to convince themselves, but that standard of football is well below acceptable .
As for man management - I’m sorry that’s not my job ..
Having said that I wouldn’t boo unless no effort was being made .
'Barely three passes together?' I thought the fact we put too many passes together without enough cutting edge was the problem in the critics mind!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2017, 13:52:36 pm »

'Barely three passes together?' I thought the fact we put too many passes together without enough cutting edge was the problem in the critics mind!
Three consecutive passes don’t include those that go back to the goalkeeper , only for him to launch it and we lose possession.
The movement , especially in the first half was appalling and play constantly broke down .
It makes no difference if you play Wigan or Bury - a poor performance is a poor performance . It’s even worst when you play a team that were equally as bad .
We also don’t create many chances - it’s a myth that we do .
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2017, 14:10:44 pm »

A. It's not 'a disappointing result'. It's literally the whole campaign that has left us struggling to leave the relegation zone.
B. I wasn't discussing man management at all? I'm really not sure as to your point here... ?

Would have thought the point is clear enough - you described the result as awful. Man Management; just refer back to your message timed at 10:16:27 especially the opening sentence which gives a hint why man management was seized on. You give the impression that you have a low opinion of man management?
Report Spam   Logged

Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2017, 14:13:47 pm »

Would have thought the point is clear enough - you described the result as awful. Man Management; just refer back to your message timed at 10:16:27 especially the opening sentence which gives a hint why man management was seized on. You give the impression that you have a low opinion of man management?

Who am I man-managing in the Cobblers team..? I'm literally just a regular fan.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest2677

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2017, 14:23:28 pm »

Three consecutive passes don’t include those that go back to the goalkeeper , only for him to launch it and we lose possession.
The movement , especially in the first half was appalling and play constantly broke down .
It makes no difference if you play Wigan or Bury - a poor performance is a poor performance . It’s even worst when you play a team that were equally as bad .
We also don’t create many chances - it’s a myth that we do .
I thought you might come back and say you were using a turn of phrase, but you actually barely saw more than three passes between either sets of outfield players?..
Not sure we can take that any further then.

As for a performance not depending on the opposition, we agree. Exactly my point!
Unfortunately, we disagree on the standard of our performance on Saturday still.

Not saying we create lots of chances either, but on Saturday Richards alone had two inside the six yard box, and that is an example of what Jimmy said in his post match interview; that it can be a game of fine margins.
Though in retrospect, maybe he should have said that about HIS idea of football.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: