The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 18:38:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Time for changes before January

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for changes before January  (Read 5670 times)
guest2539

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 10, 2017, 08:03:36 am »

Obviously we are all waiting for reinforcements of a left winger and TWO strikers on January 1st but we have to pick up some points until then to keep in touch with the other teams.

Ash Taylor needs more help so I think we need 5 at the back by using Poole in a central 3. If Man United coaches think Regan is a defender I tend to go with their judgement. The advantage then is it enables the only two players who can supply quality crosses (Moloney and Smith) the chance to push forward.
The only players I feel we have who have the quality to score goals are McGugan, Long and Crooks so play the 3 together infront of the other eight.
Personally I do not think the kneejerk comments of change the manager AGAIN is the right reaction, it wasn't previously! It is up to JFH to get his finger out and get positive play and results in the short term.

I suggest;

Ingram
              Taylor Poole Pierre
Moloney                               Smith   
                 O'Toole Grimes
             McGugan          Crooks
                              Long
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

bwills

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 08:33:35 am »

This is what is so frustrating, the formation you suggest should have been tried last week at Pompey. Albeit with a slight change to personnel due to suspension, injury etc. It was a "free hit" , it would have been something different and may have been a success. I know it didn't work for JED but 4-4-2 isn't working for us now!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 08:40:49 am »

This is what is so frustrating, the formation you suggest should have been tried last week at Pompey. Albeit with a slight change to personnel due to suspension, injury etc. It was a "free hit" , it would have been something different and may have been a success. I know it didn't work for JED but 4-4-2 isn't working for us now!!!

One or two twitter rumours suggest qpr will recall ingram in jan. That would add to our sizeable list of problems
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 08:46:29 am »

Some thoughts:

1. Barring an impromptu resignation, JFH is going nowhere for the foreseeable future (and nor should he)

Rapid manager turnover has manifestly had a detrimental effect on us. Sacking JED was the right thing to do given his abysmal start to the season and his farcical adherence to 3-5-2. We are still paying for his unbalanced recruitment. On the other hand, Page's record looks almost acceptable (barring obvious low points such as Brizzle away) given what we've suffered through since.

Despite his faults, we need to stick with JFH and give him the chance to build his own side in January. Another managerial change at this stage would achieve very little.

2. If you can't score, at least make yourself hard to beat

We have an appalling record in front of goal and that's unlikely to change without significant recruitment in January. Until then the plan should be to set up in a compact, defensive fashion and try to nick one on the counter/from a set piece. We need to play our most defensively competent midfielders: McWilliams, O'Toole (if fit) and George Smith from the start as a kind of tough-tackling wide midfielder.

David Cornell has now conceded 11 goals in 4 league games this season. If Ingram isn't available then it might be time to give Coddington a go - at least he was highly rated at Wrexham.

Village's call for 3-4-2-1 makes sense given JED's lopsided recruitment, but personally I'd stick with 4-2-3-1 and try Crooks out as a false 9/emergency target man:

Ingram
                     Moloney   Taylor     Pierre     Buchanan

O'Toole/McWilliams      Poole

McGugan           Grimes               Smith

Crooks

3. JFH needs to work on his PR

Chris Wilder took over a club facing relegation to the conference and then had to contend with a sustained period of unpaid salaries and the very real possibility of the club folding. Whatever, vague 'problems' JFH is alluding to pale into insignificance in comparison.

Wilder never criticised the fans and always used whatever off the field problems were going on to galvanise rather than demoralise the squad. He also openly admitted to getting team selections wrong on several occasions and in general communicated with honesty and passion at all times.

It's not too late for JFH to turn this round, but he needs to be a little more like Chris Wilder and a little less like Terry Fenwick.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 09:16:42 am »

Some thoughts:

1. Barring an impromptu resignation, JFH is going nowhere for the foreseeable future (and nor should he)

Rapid manager turnover has manifestly had a detrimental effect on us. Sacking JED was the right thing to do given his abysmal start to the season and his farcical adherence to 3-5-2. We are still paying for his unbalanced recruitment. On the other hand, Page's record looks almost acceptable (barring obvious low points such as Brizzle away) given what we've suffered through since.

Despite his faults, we need to stick with JFH and give him the chance to build his own side in January. Another managerial change at this stage would achieve very little.

2. If you can't score, at least make yourself hard to beat

We have an appalling record in front of goal and that's unlikely to change without significant recruitment in January. Until then the plan should be to set up in a compact, defensive fashion and try to nick one on the counter/from a set piece. We need to play our most defensively competent midfielders: McWilliams, O'Toole (if fit) and George Smith from the start as a kind of tough-tackling wide midfielder.

David Cornell has now conceded 11 goals in 4 league games this season. If Ingram isn't available then it might be time to give Coddington a go - at least he was highly rated at Wrexham.

Village's call for 3-4-2-1 makes sense given JED's lopsided recruitment, but personally I'd stick with 4-2-3-1 and try Crooks out as a false 9/emergency target man:

Ingram
                     Moloney   Taylor     Pierre     Buchanan

O'Toole/McWilliams      Poole

McGugan           Grimes               Smith

Crooks

3. JFH needs to work on his PR

Chris Wilder took over a club facing relegation to the conference and then had to contend with a sustained period of unpaid salaries and the very real possibility of the club folding. Whatever, vague 'problems' JFH is alluding to pale into insignificance in comparison.

Wilder never criticised the fans and always used whatever off the field problems were going on to galvanise rather than demoralise the squad. He also openly admitted to getting team selections wrong on several occasions and in general communicated with honesty and passion at all times.

It's not too late for JFH to turn this round, but he needs to be a little more like Chris Wilder and a little less like Terry Fenwick.
1). Page inherited a side that had romped to the league two title. When he arrived he came with an evolution not revolution mantra. That clearly was not what happened even with Holmes, Rose and Adams accepted. With what he had left and only a few additions we should have comfortably finished in mid table last season. Bristol Rovers and the FA cup humiliation were a barometer of how things were going and he was rightfully sacked.
JED was only given four games this season, yes our performances greatly tailed off at the end of last season, but his pre season recruitment plan must have been massively affected after the Chinese came in. I suspect he thought he could get us through to January with what he'd got and then get the rest of the attacking recruitment sorted in just the way us pundits are now suggesting JFH should. He was sacked subsequently because ambitions were much higher in September than they are now.
What is it then that you see in JFH that makes you think he compares favourably to JED, and do you not think we should be achieving more with the players and are stuck with?
2) Making us hard to beat IS what Jimmy is attempting, but it's clearly not working. Fine margins and nicking goals are his game plan.
3) Would agree, but that isn't going to change things on the pitch.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 12:26:47 pm »

I agree with you that we've seen little to suggest that JFH is a significantly better manager than JED. In terms of tactics, man-management etc he doesn't seem to have made significant improvements. On the other hand, barring McGugan he hasn't yet had the chance to make his own signings so it's too early to judge him on the crucial issue of recruitment.

My point is simply that: A. I can't see JFH being sacked for the time being and   B. in any case replacing him with another mediocre lower division manager (which, let's face it, is what we would almost certainly get) would do very little to improve our fortunes and would cause unnecessary further disruption for no gain.

I actually think that Page, JED and JFH are probably much of a muchness in terms of managerial ability.  JFH probably has a bit more potential due to his pedigree as a player, his Dutch background and the fact that he has at least experienced the feeling of managing a successful lower-division side (albeit one effectively ready-made for him).

With the notable exception of Wilder, the vast majority of our managers over the last twenty years have been mediocre or poor. At some point you have to stick with someone and give them time to impose their vision.

Anyway, back to the present: I'm not convinced that he set us up to be hard to beat yesterday. George Smith should be playing from the start and I think we've seen that playing the likes of Waters, Long and Grimes in the same team makes us too lightweight.

I also think it's significant that the post-Oxford downturn in form has coincided with the return of Matt Crooks. I like Crooks and he is definitely  worthy of a place in the team, but the fighter-to-artist ratio becomes a bit unbalanced if he is playing alongside Grimes. Personally, as I say, I would try playing him up front as a kind of emergency target man or false 9.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:28:39 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 08:44:50 am »

One or two twitter rumours suggest qpr will recall ingram in jan. That would add to our sizeable list of problems

I did say this a few weeks ago. It was very strange he wasn't allowed to play in the FA Cup when on a season long loan.

They probably think he's conceding too many goals!

Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 09:34:20 am »

It's a good point. They might've put him on loan to us to get him in the shop window... only to see his value falling after every game.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 15:17:15 pm »

I'm beginning to think Hass is a Muppet. I've never seen us play so badly we are going backwards.
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
guest2995

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 15:19:26 pm »

I did say this a few weeks ago. It was very strange he wasn't allowed to play in the FA Cup when on a season long loan.

Also was he really injured on Saturday ?
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 15:26:17 pm »

Anyone care to speculate what these issues may be??

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/boss-hasselbaink-admits-he-has-issues-to-resolve-at-struggling-cobblers-1-8285057
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 15:42:00 pm »

I can't imagine training is particularly easy with a squad of mercenaries unhappy at not playing. Add into that the absolute mismatch of quality in players, I fully expect some smalerl groups to have developed amongst the bigger group.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 16:05:37 pm »

I can't imagine training is particularly easy with a squad of mercenaries unhappy at not playing. Add into that the absolute mismatch of quality in players, I fully expect some smalerl groups to have developed amongst the bigger group.

If they were that mercenary they'd be happy enough NOT playing!! If it was all about the money, they're getting paid whether they play or not......and there aren't that many "win bonuses" being paid out at the moment!!

Cornell        2nd choice keeper         7 appearances under Hasselbaink
Ingram        1st choice keeper             15 games
Goff            4th choice keeper              0 games
Coddington  3rd choice keeper              0 games
Maloney               18 games
Buchanan             19 games
Barnett                  6 games
Taylor                   22 games
Pierre                   16 games
Phillips                   0 games
Smith                    7 games
McGivern                2 games
Hanley                   4 games
Kasim                     6 games
Foley                     11 games
Powell                    14 games
McWilliams              8 games
O'Toole                    9 games
Crooks                   12 games
Poole                      13 games
Grimes                    19 games
Waters                    17 games
Richards                  17 games
Revell                      9 games
Hoskins                    9 games
Bowditch                  15 games
Long                        16 games
Iaciofano                   0 games
Lobjoit                       0 games

So JFH has used 26 players in his 22 games in charge. Only three other haven't made an appearance.......         
Report Spam   Logged

guest2677

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 17:34:31 pm »

Quote from: GrangeParkCobblerplink=topic=16779.msg339784#msg339784 date=1513011937
If they were that mercenary they'd be happy enough NOT playing!! If it was all about the money, they're getting paid whether they play or not......and there aren't that many "win bonuses" being paid out at the moment!!

Cornell        2nd choice keeper         7 appearances under Hasselbaink
Ingram        1st choice keeper             15 games
Goff            4th choice keeper              0 games
Coddington  3rd choice keeper              0 games
Maloney               18 games
Buchanan             19 games
Barnett                  6 games
Taylor                   22 games
Pierre                   16 games
Phillips                   0 games
Smith                    7 games
McGivern                2 games
Hanley                   4 games
Kasim                     6 games
Foley                     11 games
Powell                    14 games
McWilliams              8 games
O'Toole                    9 games
Crooks                   12 games
Poole                      13 games
Grimes                    19 games
Waters                    17 games
Richards                  17 games
Revell                      9 games
Hoskins                    9 games
Bowditch                  15 games
Long                        16 games
Iaciofano                   0 games
Lobjoit                       0 games

So JFH has used 26 players in his 22 games in charge. Only three other haven't made an appearance.......         
Would agree they wouldn't be fussed about playing if they were mercenaries only interested in the money.
I didn't hear his post match interview, but from the article in the Chron it sounds to me like he's making a deliberately vague excuse for the teams results and performances. Making out he knew from day one that the squad was poor but he can't expand on that now and risk player backlash because there are still a number of games to go before he can change things around in January. Playing for time.
It also sounds a little like he's suggesting he knew what he was getting, but he's not about to walk out anytime soon.
In other words, absolving himself from any responsibility!
I can't remember, did he speak publically about the squad at the time of his appointment, and what were his views on the players then?
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 17:51:54 pm »

Would agree they wouldn't be fussed about playing if they were mercenaries only interested in the money.
I didn't hear his post match interview, but from the article in the Chron it sounds to me like he's making a deliberately vague excuse for the teams results and performances. Making out he knew from day one that the squad was poor but he can't expand on that now and risk player backlash because there are still a number of games to go before he can change things around in January. Playing for time.
It also sounds a little like he's suggesting he knew what he was getting, but he's not about to walk out anytime soon.
In other words, absolving himself from any responsibility!
I can't remember, did he speak publically about the squad at the time of his appointment, and what were his views on the players then?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41163145

How have things worked out?  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

guest2677

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 19:44:21 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41163145

How have things worked out?  Smiley
Interesting isn't it?
So on the 5th September Jimmy reckoned his inherited squad had the talent and the ability, and that it was a matter of finding the right way forward as a group.
Three months on seems he's still looking.

Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 19:53:36 pm »

What tends to happen in football (with a struggling team) is that they will go a few games losing by the odd goal, appearing to be down on their luck etc. Players will get injured. Then the 'thrashings' kick in. Manager gets sacked, it starts all over again.

This occasion is unique in that the incumbent manager has not had a chance to recruit. Thats got to be a first? I Cannot recall a previous manager (Terry Fenwick maybe?) whom we've had that hasn't been responsible for at least part of the squad on his departure?

What is difficult to fathom out though is that we've had not one but two false dawns. Mini runs when we have looked rather good. The rest of the period has served up football on a par with the worst we've ever seen.

When Johnson was sacked we lost 7-2 and 4-0 in the two games which followed. Id predict something similar if JFH was relieved of his duties at this point in time. I went to the capitulation at Plymouth back then…3-0 down after 20 minutes. Plymouth were right at the bottom with us. So we've seen it all before!

Basically we need a big freshen up of the squad. Id argue 7 or 8 out, 3 or 4 in. And it needs to happen during the first week in January. It will be very expensive but thats our only chance of staying in this division. No manager will get 'this lot' doing well on a consistent basis, the heart isn't in them and theres too many deficiencies to cover up the huge cracks now that confidence is shot to bits. Im sure there are issues, goes with the territory when a football team is struggling so badly.

Its all very depressing but we are where we are, we've changed managers 3 times in the last 16 months and JFH hasn't had an opportunity yet to tap up his mates. He's high profile…that should help our case come January. We hope!
Report Spam   Logged
lodgeadam

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 20:58:20 pm »

Interesting isn't it?
So on the 5th September Jimmy reckoned his inherited squad had the talent and the ability, and that it was a matter of finding the right way forward as a group.

You really think he'd walk in to a job and say how poor the assembled squad was and it won't get us safely through to January? Wonder how that would've gone down with our wonderful support!
Report Spam   Logged

--- 'Shoe Army' is THE worst chant ever! --- Twitter @lodgeadam
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 07:07:50 am »

Interesting isn't it?

We have a squad with talent and ability, the excitement in the summer at the arrival of the players shows that. The problem is, with the exception of O'Toole, there isn't any backbone or steel in there.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
guest2539

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 07:58:35 am »

What tends to happen in football (with a struggling team) is that they will go a few games losing by the odd goal, appearing to be down on their luck etc. Players will get injured. Then the 'thrashings' kick in. Manager gets sacked, it starts all over again.

This occasion is unique in that the incumbent manager has not had a chance to recruit. Thats got to be a first? I Cannot recall a previous manager (Terry Fenwick maybe?) whom we've had that hasn't been responsible for at least part of the squad on his departure?

What is difficult to fathom out though is that we've had not one but two false dawns. Mini runs when we have looked rather good. The rest of the period has served up football on a par with the worst we've ever seen.

When Johnson was sacked we lost 7-2 and 4-0 in the two games which followed. Id predict something similar if JFH was relieved of his duties at this point in time. I went to the capitulation at Plymouth back then…3-0 down after 20 minutes. Plymouth were right at the bottom with us. So we've seen it all before!

Basically we need a big freshen up of the squad. Id argue 7 or 8 out, 3 or 4 in. And it needs to happen during the first week in January. It will be very expensive but thats our only chance of staying in this division. No manager will get 'this lot' doing well on a consistent basis, the heart isn't in them and theres too many deficiencies to cover up the huge cracks now that confidence is shot to bits. Im sure there are issues, goes with the territory when a football team is struggling so badly.

Its all very depressing but we are where we are, we've changed managers 3 times in the last 16 months and JFH hasn't had an opportunity yet to tap up his mates. He's high profile…that should help our case come January. We hope!
Again a good overview.

My concerns are how on earth do you ship out 7 or 8 players in early January?
Also will he be able to recruit the pacey players we require in the first week of January?

Happy Christmas and a more productive New Year......even KT said this morning (Radio Northampton) that he expects the legal issues to be resolved in the 'early new year' -December 2018?Huh??
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: