The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:42:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Time for changes before January

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for changes before January  (Read 5666 times)
Wolvo

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 08:48:17 am »

What is difficult to fathom out though is that we've had not one but two false dawns. Mini runs when we have looked rather good. The rest of the period has served up football on a par with the worst we've ever seen.

I do think we actually look pretty good when we have wingers fit (maybe for a maximum of a couple games this season?). This is why I believe if we sign 2 better wingers (and at least one striker as a minimum), we will see an upturn in performances and results. Last couple of games I feared a hammering when seeing the amount of central midfielders we're squeezing into one starting eleven.

It could be argued this is JFH's fault for not adopting a (dreaded) wing back or a diamond formation. But the likes of Melville and JED still have my blame at the moment. Personally, I'd be looking for a wing back formation if Hoskins and Powell are not available going forward with McGugan and Crooks playing behind Long.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 08:54:33 am »

I honestly can’t understand why Melville’s still here (especially with his track record) now that graham Carr is with us, but this is another situation where the club has gone into radio silence. In fact there is a complete lack of any information from behind the scenes.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 09:34:23 am »

You really think he'd walk in to a job and say how poor the assembled squad was and it won't get us safely through to January? Wonder how that would've gone down with our wonderful support!
No I don't, I think he was right in his initial assessment that he had a talented and able squad!
In an earlier post responding to Bungle I said JFH does not compare favourably to JED and he got the bullet. I was pointing to the mutterings he is now coming out with, using them as vague reasons to excuse himself of any blame.
Whilst JED was fired because he couldn't/didn't get time to make it work, JFH is now playing for time with the sweetner of we'll be alright come January.
I agree with most who say we need more width and firepower, but we should be doing better now. The tinkerman approach isn't helping and Jimmy needs to shoulder some of the responsibility.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 09:41:14 am »

We have a squad with talent and ability, the excitement in the summer at the arrival of the players shows that. The problem is, with the exception of O'Toole, there isn't any backbone or steel in there.
I agree that is one of our problems at the moment, but there are others who can dig a bit. I'd like to see Crooks and McWilliams play with JJ, and although I'm not Hoskins biggest fan he would also pep things up I think.
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 10:08:25 am »

So for the third manager in a row we are hearing there are dressing room issues.

Thinking about the players that have been there for all three managers I have my 'suspicions' as to who the bad eggs could be.
Report Spam   Logged
rebelspawn

View Profile
Search Eighth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 10:24:40 am »

No I don't, I think he was right in his initial assessment that he had a talented and able squad!
In an earlier post responding to Bungle I said JFH does not compare favourably to JED and he got the bullet. I was pointing to the mutterings he is now coming out with, using them as vague reasons to excuse himself of any blame.
Whilst JED was fired because he couldn't/didn't get time to make it work, JFH is now playing for time with the sweetner of we'll be alright come January.
I agree with most who say we need more width and firepower, but we should be doing better now. The tinkerman approach isn't helping and Jimmy needs to shoulder some of the responsibility.

Talented and able, some of them may well be. But there is no hiding from the fact that we are massively unbalanced. JFH inherited a squad of 29 players, with only one winger, 3 goalkeepers, 3 leftbacks and what is it, 9? central midfielders.

Both Foley and Kasim were pre-Chinese money. But instead of using the Chinese money to sign decent wingers, JED signed more central midfielders. That was the biggest mistake and we are still paying for it. Rob Page did exactly the same thing when we lost holmes and Adams, he had the middle of the park sorted but signed Matt Taylor instead of good wingers.

I do agree that he should tinker less, and not build the team so heavily focused on the opposition though. We should have a basic philosophy and stick to it IMO. Having said that though, if there is player unrest in a squad of 29 players and JFH plays a rigid 11 week in and week out, it may cause more harm than good. Maybe thats one of the reasons he is doing it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:37:36 am by rebelspawn » Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 10:38:37 am »

Instead of moaning on here why don't you all message JFH and KT. Sure they will listen and change things for you all

In fact why are you all moaning?  Soon we will be back where most of you want to be, in League 2 in a crap ground with a chairman who is all talk and waiting for NBC to give him lots of money / land.

Sorry but i dont understand how you lot can moan and whinge about the team and players (all of which changes constantly month after month) yet have no interest in the actual club that you support.

How you are all happy to accept some saviour who is here not to build and develop NTFC unless he can get NBC to pay for it is beyond me. The club is rotten to the core and the Chairman must take the blame for this, which includes the management and players. As i have said many times, if you try to stand still you go backwards, and backwards is where we are going. Every manager has failed here in the last 15 years except for one who turned the dire situation to an advantage, that points to the direction or lack of from the top.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 11:12:28 am »

I'm beginning to think Hass is a Muppet. I've never seen us play so badly we are going backwards.

I admire your audacity in calling JFH a muppet. The hat fits!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 11:48:04 am »

I admire your audacity in calling JFH a muppet. The hat fits!

Your usual type of riposte.....unproductive as ever Nevers!!

Anyway....we keep going on about no wingers......but think back to Hass' first game in charge....Doncaster at home, and a certain George Smith flew down the left wing and produced a peach of a cross for Crooks to score the only goal of the game. 21 seconds into his managerial reign........

He sprung a surprise in making that team selection, but perhaps its more of a surprise why he hasn't repeated the trick and used Smith in a similar position since!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
SteveRiches

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 11:58:06 am »

I do think we actually look pretty good when we have wingers fit (maybe for a maximum of a couple games this season?). This is why I believe if we sign 2 better wingers (and at least one striker as a minimum), we will see an upturn in performances and results. Last couple of games I feared a hammering when seeing the amount of central midfielders we're squeezing into one starting eleven.

It could be argued this is JFH's fault for not adopting a (dreaded) wing back or a diamond formation. But the likes of Melville and JED still have my blame at the moment. Personally, I'd be looking for a wing back formation if Hoskins and Powell are not available going forward with McGugan and Crooks playing behind Long.
Wingers create goals. Always have always will. Get your crosses in, you win games - although clearly there must be a proper striker on the end of it - which is our second problem. Then of course there's a third problem - hardly any ball winners or play-direction changers in midfield! A fit JJO'T is a prime example of one of those. So basically, having written all that I suppose I'm saying we need to offload 50% of the current squad and replace them with what we're missing! Depressing.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 12:52:35 pm »

Your usual type of riposte.....unproductive as ever Nevers!!

Fair comment ; am sure there is nothing personal in your "snipe"; but your defence of the buffoon who dishes out insults for fun is equally unproductive.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2995

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2017, 12:54:38 pm »

Good to see the chairman has spoken and echoed the sentiments of any sensible supporter on here .
It’s not good enough and the players aren’t earning their crust .
Forget January - start playing now is his message .
Absolutely right as well .
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2017, 13:03:37 pm »

Fair comment ; am sure there is nothing personal in your "snipe"; but your defence of the buffoon who dishes out insults for fun is equally unproductive.

I’m not defending you at all sir!!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest2235

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2017, 13:37:48 pm »

Good to see the chairman has spoken and echoed the sentiments of any sensible supporter on here .
KT also said “In reality, it is hard for Jimmy to take over a squad that he has not put together'' So what happened at Burton then?
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2017, 13:42:52 pm »

KT also said “In reality, it is hard for Jimmy to take over a squad that he has not put together'' So what happened at Burton then?

Do you actually need to know the answer to your question? If so:

Burton: The previous manager had assembled a winning side and was headhunted for a better role.

Cobblers: The previous manager had a assembled a losing side and was sacked and ended up in non league.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest2235

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2017, 13:45:28 pm »

Do you actually need to know the answer to your question? If so:

Burton: The previous manager had assembled a winning side and was headhunted for a better role.

Cobblers: The previous manager had a assembled a losing side and was sacked and ended up in non league.
So, only good with a winning side? Not a great coach in my mind
Report Spam   Logged
rebelspawn

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2017, 13:52:23 pm »

So, only good with a winning side? Not a great coach in my mind

3 goalkeepers
3 left backs
9? central midfielders
and 1 winger...

in a 29 man squad. Coaching can only get you so far...
Report Spam   Logged
guest2235

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2017, 14:08:34 pm »

3 goalkeepers
3 left backs
9? central midfielders
and 1 winger...

in a 29 man squad. Coaching can only get you so far...
I completely take your point about how our squad is unbalanced but he knew the score. To start bleating about issues now is all bulls***. He is paid to coach and make players better. He is paid to organise and motivate and set up a system to get results. We are a soft touch at the moment 12 conceded and 1 scored in the last five games!
Why sign McGugan and McGiven (4th left back) when short term deals for wide players may be a better option?
I've mentioned before but any manager that plays Revell on the right wing has to be deluded
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2017, 14:56:41 pm »

Forget January
I think it’s high time we woke up and realised January is going to be a farce.
To be fair to the owners spokesman he is trying his best to play down expectations and you’ve got to admire him for that.
It gives the club a bit of wriggle room when the youngsters and loans arrive rather than the owners getting the cheque book out.
I’d love a statement from the Chinese money men but it’s all gone a bit quiet.
Report Spam   Logged
rebelspawn

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2017, 15:00:13 pm »

I completely take your point about how our squad is unbalanced but he knew the score. To start bleating about issues now is all bulls***. He is paid to coach and make players better. He is paid to organise and motivate and set up a system to get results. We are a soft touch at the moment 12 conceded and 1 scored in the last five games!
Why sign McGugan and McGiven (4th left back) when short term deals for wide players may be a better option?
I've mentioned before but any manager that plays Revell on the right wing has to be deluded

Your point about Mcgiven and Mcgugan is also valid. But lets not forget, JFH hasnt had a window to work in yet. Mcgiven was signed as backup for centre back when barnett was injured (it could be argued that Poole alone could have offered this though)

Mcgugan has pedigree and was available to us outside of the transfer window. Although again you could argue that he is not a position that we needed. Personally i cant think of any wingers that we could have signed since the close of last window.

I think JFH's team selections and his choice of formations and substitutions are all open for criticism. However, the underlying issue for me lies in just how unbalanced the squad is and that is not his fault.

I mean, 1 winger, how the FCUK was that allowed to happen to at a professional football club?

I am not happy with the situation, i have some reservations about some aspects of JFH's management. But i just cant get angry at him, when he hasn't even had window to work in.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: