The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 14:18:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Walsall (H) 16th Dec

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walsall (H) 16th Dec  (Read 8902 times)
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« on: December 12, 2017, 08:35:42 am »

Lots of chatter after the hammering by Oldham, can we get some points against a team that has won it's last three?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 08:57:02 am »

Looking at the fixtures up to Christmas/new year I think that this is a must win for us - it is so important that we stay in touch with those just outside the relegation zone.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 09:07:19 am »

Do we go 5-3-2 as some have suggested and try and go more defensive?

Cornell (Ingram if fit)

Poole Ash Pierre

Moloney                             Smith

Crooks JJOT Grimes

McGugan
                          Long 

McWilliams and JJ could play a half each if fit enough to do so. I'm banking on Hoskins and Powell not being fit, despite the constant "might be" messages we have been getting. If they are fit then we go 4-4-2 with Grimes out left, Powell right, JJ and Crooks in the middle with Hoskins behind Long.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 09:17:37 am »

Leave the frost covers off and let the pitch freeze absolutely solid.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 09:42:36 am »

Do we go 5-3-2 as some have suggested and try and go more defensive?

Cornell (Ingram if fit)

Poole Ash Pierre

Moloney                             Smith

Crooks JJOT Grimes

McGugan
                          Long 

McWilliams and JJ could play a half each if fit enough to do so. I'm banking on Hoskins and Powell not being fit, despite the constant "might be" messages we have been getting. If they are fit then we go 4-4-2 with Grimes out left, Powell right, JJ and Crooks in the middle with Hoskins behind Long.

I'd go exactly with your 5-3-2 approach if we have no available wingers. We have the players to make it work, and you'd hope that back three would be solid.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 10:02:23 am »

I have no confidence we can get anything out of this game at all.

Can't remember watching a team that collapses in the manner we do now.
Report Spam   Logged
tuks

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 10:07:13 am »

I don't "think" the covers were put down prior to the snow. Perhaps a case of not wanting the game to go ahead?? Then again the snow is probably a good insulator from the freezing conditions.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 11:37:59 am »

I read this as no Ingram, Hoskins, McWilliams or Powell.

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers-goalkeeper-ingram-faces-race-against-time-to-be-fit-for-walsall-showdown-1-8287058
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 11:49:35 am »

I don't "think" the covers were put down prior to the snow. Perhaps a case of not wanting the game to go ahead?? Then again the snow is probably a good insulator from the freezing conditions.

Temperatures back up to 6 degrees tomorrow....if fact it will be "warmer" tonight than it is in the day!!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 13:07:13 pm »

I don't think there is a magical formation that will turn this team around.im board to tears of people posting their preferred formations each week.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 13:27:49 pm »

I don't think there is a magical formation that will turn this team around.im board to tears of people posting their preferred formations each week.

Based on effort and application in games, on current form I'd go with this formation/line up  (4-4-2)

Ingram (Taylor if Ingram is not fit)
Taylor, Taylor, Taylor, Taylor
O'Toole, O'Toole, O'Toole, O'Toole
Taylor, O'Toole

Subs...perm any 7 from the remaining 26
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 15:31:06 pm »

Play Crooks and O'Toole up front....... they cant do any worse.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 15:40:54 pm »

Any suggestions on what we could post instead? Other than our rants about being awful and sniping each at each other, this is all we have left!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Macc Cobbler

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 18:37:53 pm »

I remember a few years back travelling down for a home game against Walsall only for it to be called off. Our first inkling was seeing the Walsall team bus coming back up north on the M6.

Can anyone remember when this was 🙂
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 18:59:23 pm »

Quite honestly, if Powell and JJ are not fit (Powell could just about be replaced with Hoskins) then we may as well not bother turning up.

Take those 3 out of the options, you could come up with a 100 plus different teams/formations from the remaining 25 odd players and we'd struggle with any of them!
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 19:20:52 pm »

It sounds like jj is going to be "fit" but all this talk about his ankle and how he's playing in constant pain makes me worried if/when he inevitably takes another knock on it. Powell is touch and go apparently which is exactly the same as he was 4/5 weeks ago, I haven't seen an update on Hoskins but wasn't he meant to be back in training?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 19:37:16 pm »

Quite honestly, if Powell and JJ are not fit (Powell could just about be replaced with Hoskins) then we may as well not bother turning up.

Take those 3 out of the options, you could come up with a 100 plus different teams/formations from the remaining 25 odd players and we'd struggle with any of them!

I disagree.

We need to play a system to suit the players in our squad until January, and I will continue to say it until I'm blue in the face. 4-1-2-1-2 should be the system. There is no point playing out and out midfielders as wide players and hope it will be alright. Teams will work us out...oh they already have.

Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 21:36:48 pm »

Whoever we select on Saturday , the following players need to step up to the plate :
Moloney - his worst season so far . Doesn’t take anyone on any more .
Pierre - nowhere near as dominant as reports suggested he was
Poole - dropped off significantly and needs to stamp authority on a game
Grimes - been good but needs to be braver on the ball
Crooks - is soft pedalling and needs to run the gig not be sideshow Bob
McGugan - now is the time to shine - we have been patient so far
Long - start bossing centre halves , you are supposed to be a prem player .
Waters - drive towards goal and take responsibility.
Foley - do something to remember

All the above have been 6/10 all year but should be getting 8/10
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 06:57:28 am »

Is this an easy or hard game?
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 08:07:12 am »

Looks like JJ will play and probably Powell too. Even before his upturn in form, I thought Powell was vital to giving us a better balanced team, and JJOT makes a clear difference every time he plays.

I don't agree that we are capable of playing a narrow formation successfully. That's basically what we did under JED (unintentially perhaps as his "wing backs" didn't actually get forward) with the same players and it didn't work - our midfielders are slow and too easy to defend against throught the middle and this potentially makes our own defence more vulnerable on the wings. If our proper wingers (if we include Hoskins in that category) aren't fit we need to play at least one of Smith or Phillips (when fit), who both have the pace to play as wing-backs or wingers if required and give us an outlet to create chances.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: