The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 08:37:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Cornell

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cornell  (Read 4795 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 19:43:09 pm »

Cornell is not good enough. Simple as that.

Have seen him enough times not to disagree.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 19:47:22 pm »

According to Soccerbase yesterday was Cornell's 21st game for us, and only his SECOND win (the other was the 3-2 away at Port Vale under Rob Page).

The full stats are: P21 W2 D5 L14

Those stats are alarming across two seasons and three different managers. While obviously he's not at fault for every single one of those results, it's quite clear he doesn't inspire confidence in defenders.

He's a decent penalty saver, and has got a good kick, but I'm not convinced that he's up to scratch on any other levels of his game.

If he's our number one for the rest of the season I have grave doubts as to whether we would survive, and Lee Harper hinted at the same thing in his summarising on Radio Northampton. So it's imperative we replace Ingram properly IF he is out.

I don't suppose you did goals scored/conceded at the same time? I think this would also highlight that this a significant area of concern.

On the Wrexham forum they speak really highly of Coddington.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
cobbler150

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 19:54:37 pm »

I am surprised he went to Millwall and established himself as a Championship Goal Keeper. Personally I thought he was average but some on here went out of their way to vilify him. I just merely thought that the criticism was unjustified. Over the last 3/4 years the experts were happy to jump on the bandwagon, just as some do now on Cornell. For the record I support Fez's summary on Cornell,but currently wont join in with Cornell's detractors.  Let me ask you a question do you support/or agree with the kind of OTT highly personal criticism aimed at Cornell by one poster on here? 

I apologise if my comments caused offense.  It was heat of the moment and poorly worded.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 20:14:55 pm »

I apologise if my comments caused offense.  It was heat of the moment and poorly worded.

Surprised at that and unusual on here, so well done for that. As you know I don't think Cornell is best suited at the moment. He may like Archer go onto better things. If Ingram is injured we may have no alternative or even take a flyer on Coddington! Its up to JFH as probably he knows best. If Cornell does play I hope you along with me wish him all the best. After all we are in this together.
Report Spam   Logged

cobbler150

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2017, 20:31:40 pm »

Thanks, and yes you're right in it together, everynail biting minute.
Report Spam   Logged
Monkey

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 07:00:59 am »

I think he was trying too hard on Saturday to make an impression with Ingram possibly not playing for us again.

Well he certainly did that... but not for the right reasons. I'd be amazed if JFH doesn't bring in a no.1 in Jan as it is a crucial position that impacts the entire teams mentality.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 07:54:43 am »

The personal abuse is unwarranted but he will cost us a game before long .
He was lucky to get away with that blunder at the end and although the goal wasn’t entirely his fault , he could of got back to his line quicker
Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 08:55:38 am »

Would add that his height could be a problem.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 09:13:32 am »

The problem with Cornell is that he is an ok enough shot stopper (which lets face it is a bare minimum for a keeper but his positioning, communication and concentration all seem to be below par - how much of that is a result of playing behind a leaky defence who can tell.
Report Spam   Logged
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 09:19:59 am »

I think it was pretty obvious last season that he wasn't good enough and I've seen nothing to suggest any different this year.

With Ingram now back to QPR and unlikely to be back, we are stuck with him for 4 more games. I've not seen much of Coddington but surely he can't be much worse than Cornell.

Add goalkeeper to the list of wingers and strikers we need to sign in January.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 09:30:56 am »

What evidence is there to say Ingram won’t be back ?
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 11:33:50 am »

JFH said after the game on Sat, that he broke down in training on Thursday and has gone back to QPR...we should know more today. Fingers crossed is not bad news....

If it is, Coddington has to play moving forward imo...
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 11:40:47 am »

Not a lot ......we just live in hope!
Report Spam   Logged

guest2995

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 12:00:01 pm »

JFH said after the game on Sat, that he broke down in training on Thursday and has gone back to QPR...we should know more today. Fingers crossed is not bad news....

If it is, Coddington has to play moving forward imo...
Yes but what implies the loan won’t be extended ?
I haven’t seen anything at all that suggests this
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 12:10:48 pm »

He’s on a season loan with (I believe) a break clause for January but if this scan shows that he’s going to be out for 6 weeks there’s not much point us keeping him if he’s not going to be back until end of February/early March.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 12:55:36 pm »

He’s on a season loan with (I believe) a break clause for January but if this scan shows that he’s going to be out for 6 weeks there’s not much point us keeping him if he’s not going to be back until end of February/early March.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-keeper-ingram-completes-northampton-loan-move

They have the option of a recall in January
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Quintonside

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2017, 14:03:19 pm »

Not suggesting he should play, but is Goff any good? I haven't seen him play.

Couldn't comment on Cornell's personality, other than the silly beard. never met him. But i have seen a few interviews where Buchs seems to like him and says he worked really hard over the summer.

That said, Saturday was poor. Although he can kick the ball a long way.

We have one game to judge Coddington on so its a tough one. JFH will know best on this one hopefully  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Member since 2013, 4 years trying to unlock the account and find password. Back in full swing May 2017
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2017, 15:31:57 pm »

Ive made the point on many occasions, Cornell is not good enough. Never has been good enough and never will be good enough.

When I saw the team sheet the first thing I said was that Id have played Coddington. Ive nothing against Cornell, other than he's prone to making a big mistake in practically every game he plays. Some result in goals, some don't. On Saturday he made 2 massive mistakes, I resulted in the opening goal, the other could easily have been their equaliser. He/we got away with that one at the end, albeit (indirectly) we lost Crooks for the next 2 games though.

I saw on twitter many people blaming Pierre for the first goal. Couldn't see it at the time, and the more times Ive seen it since the less Id say he contributed to it.

My take on it was that Pierre had total control of the situation, Cornell then charged out into no mans land and inexplicably dithered leaving a totally confused and bemused Pierre to make a decision, either of which would have made him look like a mug. If he'd stayed put, Pierre could have easily played it back to him, job done. But by coming out, Pierre was forced to try and block the guy behind him whilst leaving the rest to Cornell. Unfortunately Cornell didn't do anything at all. 95% Cornell with perhaps a small contributory 5% for Pierre who *could have smashed the ball into the stand and out for a throw in. But I've got to say that virtually any defender in that situation would have done what Pierre did, because he couldn't see the guy behind him.

As for Goff. I saw him at Rushden in the pre-season friendly, was man of the match for us. Played superb. And before anyone says the obvious about the low ranked opposition, Lobjolt was total cack in the same game. Of course that means little, 60 minutes of football. But I can only judge on what I can see. And he looked a fine prospect! 
Report Spam   Logged
Quintonside

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2017, 15:54:23 pm »

Ive made the point on many occasions, Cornell is not good enough. Never has been good enough and never will be good enough.

When I saw the team sheet the first thing I said was that Id have played Coddington. Ive nothing against Cornell, other than he's prone to making a big mistake in practically every game he plays. Some result in goals, some don't. On Saturday he made 2 massive mistakes, I resulted in the opening goal, the other could easily have been their equaliser. He/we got away with that one at the end, albeit (indirectly) we lost Crooks for the next 2 games though.

I saw on twitter many people blaming Pierre for the first goal. Couldn't see it at the time, and the more times Ive seen it since the less Id say he contributed to it.

My take on it was that Pierre had total control of the situation, Cornell then charged out into no mans land and inexplicably dithered leaving a totally confused and bemused Pierre to make a decision, either of which would have made him look like a mug. If he'd stayed put, Pierre could have easily played it back to him, job done. But by coming out, Pierre was forced to try and block the guy behind him whilst leaving the rest to Cornell. Unfortunately Cornell didn't do anything at all. 95% Cornell with perhaps a small contributory 5% for Pierre who *could have smashed the ball into the stand and out for a throw in. But I've got to say that virtually any defender in that situation would have done what Pierre did, because he couldn't see the guy behind him.

As for Goff. I saw him at Rushden in the pre-season friendly, was man of the match for us. Played superb. And before anyone says the obvious about the low ranked opposition, Lobjolt was total cack in the same game. Of course that means little, 60 minutes of football. But I can only judge on what I can see. And he looked a fine prospect! 

I think GK is the position where the level of opposition matters least, so that's fairly positive from, what you saw.

I just wondered if he is capable of being a number 2 next season, or we'll just let him go out on loan again or release him.
Report Spam   Logged

Member since 2013, 4 years trying to unlock the account and find password. Back in full swing May 2017
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 16:48:52 pm »

Twitter experts say Pierre ; Chron says Cornell. Take yr pick. I would say when I saw it that it was at least 60% Pierre's fault after all he had the ball it was his decision to wait for Cornell. Looking at the replay I would say it was  50/50 at best; even Harper said as much.Goff is a fine prospect but we only play him if the other three are unavailable.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: