The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 14:47:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Blackburn Rovers (h) 2pm start

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blackburn Rovers (h) 2pm start  (Read 8808 times)
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2017, 15:01:06 pm »

Huge point, sounds like Cornell was decent today as well.

Fingers crossed other results change, well done to the lads though!
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2017, 15:02:58 pm »

Have a great Crimbo one and all

Back for Boxing day..
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2017, 15:49:42 pm »

Chuffed to bits with that - every player in claret (and yellow!) gave 100% and were more than a match for what is in effect a championship club. It’s a bit of a kick in the teeth that we’re back in the relegation zone but when it’s so tight down there that’s going to happen at times. It’s crucial now to make sure that we get something at Doncaster now to keep the run going.
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2017, 15:55:36 pm »

Late equaliser for Walsall means we're 22nd now above Rochdale.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2017, 15:57:34 pm »

Fully deserved a point. Great to see some fight in the team and they really battled hard today.

Blackburn not that impressive considering the money they have etc.
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2017, 16:06:14 pm »

Bradley Dack was heads and shoulders better than anything we had, but I don't think they worked well as a team - but their previous form suggests this may have been an off day for them.

O'Toole and Foley for me both have great games, as did Moloney. Probably need to get this Portugese player in to bolster us on the wings.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2017, 16:08:48 pm »

Yeah Dack was decent. Awful hair.
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2017, 16:28:11 pm »

I thought that McGugan tired second half but is showing his class now. Let's hope we hold on to him in Jan.
Smith did well but final delivery not always as good as it could be but that only will come with regular games that I'm not sure he'll get. Showed great energy and gave cover to Buchanan. Whilst Hoskins showed some added directness it did then leave some gaps later on when Smith went off.
For their goal we dillied and dallied. Should have got rid and got punished.

Fair play to Cornell for saving the penalty but I felt that he made the challenge unnecessarily to concede it.
Man of the match for me was Taylor. Immense at the back.

Happy with a point
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2017, 16:35:47 pm »

Well happy with point. A good battling performance with no one shirking. Ash was immense and Cornell had a top game after last weeks shaky one. We had chances so it wasn't just backs to the wall. Decent atmosphere and their fans were in good voice at times. Pity they had to throw coins at Cornell at the end although we wasn't shy in his pleasure at the final whistle!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2017, 18:02:51 pm »

Have a great Crimbo one and all

Back for Boxing day..

Same to you old boy! Fancy you giving MOM to Cornell. For that pen save he deserved it.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2017, 19:14:00 pm »

Well happy with point. A good battling performance with no one shirking. Ash was immense and Cornell had a top game after last weeks shaky one. We had chances so it wasn't just backs to the wall. Decent atmosphere and their fans were in good voice at times. Pity they had to throw coins at Cornell at the end although we wasn't shy in his pleasure at the final whistle!

I didn't think their fans were that great; reminiscent of Pompey fans a couple of years back - arrogant and quick to turn on their team when things weren't going all their way.

Anyway, screw them. I thought we were pretty good today and showed a level of grit and determination that has been sadly lacking at times this season. It was pretty even from a performance perspective, which I'll gladly take given our respective league positions. In terms of chances though, we could have won and should have lost so I'm delighted with the point.

I have to say, I'm not sure I get the sudden Cornell love-in. Yes, he did well to save the pen but it was his second rush of blood that conceded it and his first one that drew him out of his goal when the Blackburn player rounded him and shot into the side of the net. On another day, we'd have been punished twice there. Speaking of the penalty, I think Blackburn should feel a little aggrieved that it wasn't retaken as it looked like a good 4 or 5 of our players were in the penalty area before it was struck!

I felt a bit for Smith today. He put in a good shift, working hard harrying well and carrying out his defensive duties superbly. Unfortunately his inexpensive in a more advanced role showed and he made some terrible decisions while in possession of the ball.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2017, 19:15:39 pm »

Well deserved point and they played well (Cobbs) within themselves! Like to comment about Cornell's performance who looked pretty assured today. Made one very good save first half when he was chipped - just about held onto the ball, but still a good save. Must have looked good from the North Stand ...eh CJ?  He also made two very good saves second half  where his quick reaction forced their player wide of the near post and then fluffed his shot much to the disgust of the Rovers support. The second save (penalty) was good too He did his trade mark rush to narrow the angle forcing the player wide , but clipped the player ...penalty. Had that gone in we would have been likely losers.Somebody in the North End! thought it was poor goal keeping by Cornell. To me he saved the penalty so his previous action was justified. Is he as competent as Ingram ...No.
The defence played well with Taylor and Pierre outstanding; Poole who replaced Pierre also did well and may retain his place. JJOT and Grimes played well and Foley worked his socks off and was rewarded by a poachers goal. Still a bit apprehensive of JJOT's role so far up field, much better as an orthodox centre mid. Long played ok but missed a very decent chance first half. Both full backs OK , but Smith whilst playing his part failed to deliver decent crosses when well placed. If we had Powell running at them it might have brought more rewards. One thing Smith did well he certainly ensured their right back had limited forays up field; this bloke looked a decent player so well done Smith.
Blackburn were very pedestrian and had one tactic.....big hoof up field, which worked ok in the latter stages of the game, but was generally easily contained. At the end of the day a well deserved point and could have been 3 another day! On this form we looked a decent side, solid and capable of mounting some telling attacking moves. Also well done JFH for selecting the side.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 19:20:19 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2017, 19:25:16 pm »

It was a very late call on Pierre .
He wasn’t going to start yesterday and wasn’t 100%

You did not make that known in yr post ...so fake news! Roll Eyes Thought Pierre did well up to the injury and his powerful header led to the goal. Hardly unfit on that showing.
Report Spam   Logged

DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2017, 20:17:17 pm »

Cornell. He saved a god dam awful penalty which he gave away. Held onto a shot. And that was about it. His handling and kicking was VERY good though so fair play, but no way was he man of the match!

First 45 - evens. Got a goal from a corner, crap defending. But battled fantastically, Pierre was a beast and was on for a 9/10 but sadly got injured.

45-50 - conceded a goal, crap defending. But the reaction was excellent.

50-75 - best we've played all season with the exception of the opening half an hour at Oxford. Towards the end of this spell we started to get tired.

75 - 80 - evens.

80 - 93 - We were shot to bits. Cornell got rounded, somehow their guy missed an open goal. And then there was the penalty. We were on the ropes big time.

All in all, a very fair result and an excellent performance. Gives us hope. With a bit more quality from the wings we'd have been out of sight by the time Blackburn got back into it. Smith played very well without the ball, crap with it. He's a defender at the end of the day and today showed that. BM had his best game of the season, my mom. Foley did very well as well.

Merry Christmas fellow Cobblers!
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2017, 20:22:03 pm »

Great to see Maloney looking stronger over 90 minutes and getting back to his old self.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2017, 21:16:02 pm »

You did not make that known in yr post ...so fake news! Roll Eyes Thought Pierre did well up to the injury and his powerful header led to the goal. Hardly unfit on that showing.
Why do you think he pulled up with a groin injury relatively early in the game ?
Because he was carrying it and was in the end , risked but I can assure you it was a close call.

Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2017, 21:22:46 pm »

That was a very good performance by us against a very good side .
We competed all over the pitch and went toe to toe with them , even out playing them for periods .
JJOT , McGugan and Foley worked very hard but faded halfway through the second half .
Long caused trouble all afternoon and Moloney was back to his best .
Cornell was superb and did very well to force their man wide when he hit the side netting .
The top boy though was Taylor - what an immense performance from him .
Proud of the team today
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2017, 21:26:23 pm »

Why do you think he pulled up with a groin injury relatively early in the game ?
Because he was carrying it and was in the end , risked but I can assure you it was a close call.

It's a shame if it's his groin as those injuries can take a while to clear up - I thought/hoped it was a minor issue with his ankle at the time. Having said that Poole did very well when he came on and forged a promising partnership with Taylor.
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2017, 21:31:26 pm »

Cornell was superb and did very well to force their man wide when he hit the side netting .

He wasn't and he didn't. Apart from that, he was adequate.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2017, 21:50:37 pm »

He wasn't and he didn't. Apart from that, he was adequate.
Not sure what you know about football Parklands but Cornell was excellent today .
His handling and decision making were good .
I haven’t seen the penalty decision and so can’t comment on that .
It was down to him that their guy hit the side netting .
Lose your prejudice
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: