The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:28:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Fun

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun  (Read 5072 times)
guest2487

Badges: (View All)
Fun
« on: December 26, 2017, 22:46:17 pm »

It used to be fun watching the Cobblers didn't it?

Even when we almost went out of the league, it was still fun.

What has happened? The fun factor seems to have disappeared totally. Down to three dull managers? It currently feels like a chore to turn up and watch them. I know we stick with then through good and bad, it's still usually fun though. Maybe it's just me.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 22:48:42 pm »

It used to be fun watching the Cobblers didn't it?

Even when we almost went out of the league, it was still fun.

What has happened? The fun factor seems to have disappeared totally. Down to three dull managers? It currently feels like a chore to turn up and watch them. I know we stick with then through good and bad, it's still usually fun though. Maybe it's just me.

Agree totally!

Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 23:30:27 pm »

Feel exactly the same...just really bored of it all...on & off the pitch.

From the ongoing East Stand debacle (last we heard talks had finally progressed with NBC and the NTFC solicitors were in receipt of some paperwork which just needed to be verified...BUT FOOK ALL HAS BEEN HEARD SINCE!)

JFH continues to tinker with random bizarre team selections & is basically being given a wild card as it is "not his squad"

As a club we have no identity or structure & many fans (including me) are completely dissolutioned. Don't expect to win every game but I expect us to compete.

JFH has stated on numerous occasions his teams will always compete...they don't!

No idea what the answers are...just really bored and being a long time season ticket holder has become a real chore this season. Something I never thought I'd say...
Report Spam   Logged
guest2235

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 23:43:57 pm »

Feel exactly the same...just really bored of it all...on & off the pitch.

From the ongoing East Stand debacle (last we heard talks had finally progressed with NBC and the NTFC solicitors were in receipt of some paperwork which just needed to be verified...BUT FOOK ALL HAS BEEN HEARD SINCE!)

JFH continues to tinker with random bizarre team selections & is basically being given a wild card as it is "not his squad"

As a club we have no identity or structure & many fans (including me) are completely dissolutioned. Don't expect to win every game but I expect us to compete.

JFH has stated on numerous occasions his teams will always compete...they don't!

No idea what the answers are...just really bored and being a long time season ticket holder has become a real chore this season. Something I never thought I'd say...

Agreed, a lot I know feel the same
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 23:59:28 pm »

Maybe it's just me.
Its not just you, mate.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 06:14:06 am »

Me too. I'd fallen out of love with the game a little in recent years and was going more out of habit than anything else until the magic and drama of the brink of extinction/promotion season reignited the fire in me. Since then though it's started to become a chore again.

After years of going to pretty much every home and away game, we had a baby over the summer and I made the decision to knock away games on the head so I got to spend time with her. Do you know what? I'm not missing it in the slightest. It's nice to get up on a Saturday and make plans for the day that don't involve traipsing around the country to get disappointed. I'm still going to every home game and will continue to do so, but there's little enthusiasm there and it's reached a point where I'm surprised when I find that I've actually enjoyed the game!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest3063

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 08:41:41 am »

I didn't think I'd ever say this but I feel exactly the same, it's no fun at the moment.

I commented on JFH's constant tinkering months ago but got shot down for it. The art of good management is to keep it simple, if players have a run in the team and performances are good, keep it the same. Injuries haven't helped but he certainly hasn't helped himself either. The team yesterday should have been the same as the last two home games, simple as that.
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 09:09:52 am »

I would like to think it is darkest just before dawn but reports from those that were at yesterday's match are clear that it was a complete & gutless shambles. It is all very disheartening and, as memyhead says, the state of affairs on the pitch is mirrored by those off it.  Our Chinese owners are silent, presumably wanting to be led by KT. Leading us back to the bottom division looks more likely than not. The Pied Piper of Sixfields?
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 09:33:59 am »

The worst thing this season has been that we put in one or two decent performances that raise hope we may have turned a corner, only to go on another run of dismal results/efforts and quash it straight away.

The football has not been fantastic, the effort hasn't been there for me in most of the games either. McWilliams kept me interested when he got a good run of games and seemed to be improving, same as JJOT when he made his return.

Other than that it has been doom and gloom and as much as the fans try to get behind the team, it is very difficult when we are so awful.

JFH does not help matters by switching things around so much, we put in a good shift against Blackburn so why change things. I don't think January will save us, it is going to be a long second half of the season.
Report Spam   Logged
Cordwainer2

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 09:45:17 am »

After we lost, I used to be upset and become even more of a miserable sod all weekend. Now I just say "ah well" and carry on normally. In other words I am ceasing to care and that is really worrying.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 09:58:11 am »

Felt like this for a while too......

I suppose we were spoilt by "that season", but what has followed under Page, Edinburgh and now Hasselbaink has been turgid and dour. It isn't much fun to go to Sixfields and watch the games....even Blackburn, ok we got a point, but for me it was disappointing to still see everyone coming back for corners, the team sitting back and then the timewasting for the last half hour. We don't play to win, we play to not get beaten.

I don't know what was in JFH's mind yesterday....he said he was worried about their diamond in midfield, so what does he do? Takes one out of our midfield and tries to play two up top. So he's not even consistent. Too much tinkering, a squad of 30 and very rarely do we get 11 playing well together.

A 220 mile round trip yesterday, the day after Christmas and we got served up a stuffing. Too many times has it "appeared" that our players aren't bothered. They play like strangers, and most seem to be there for the money, which they'll get however they perform.

The performance yesterday was an insult to the near 500 who made the journey there.....and I've never heard some of the chanting that was going on yesterday.....we shouldn't be celebrating the fact we had a shot against Doncaster......but that's what we are reduced to now.

Its down to the players, the manager, the coaching staff, and those running the club.

The fans continue to do their bit.....its a shame nobody else is.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 10:05:36 am »

Felt like this for a while too......

I suppose we were spoilt by "that season", but what has followed under Page, Edinburgh and now Hasselbaink has been turgid and dour. It isn't much fun to go to Sixfields and watch the games....even Blackburn, ok we got a point, but for me it was disappointing to still see everyone coming back for corners, the team sitting back and then the timewasting for the last half hour. We don't play to win, we play to not get beaten.

I don't know what was in JFH's mind yesterday....he said he was worried about their diamond in midfield, so what does he do? Takes one out of our midfield and tries to play two up top. So he's not even consistent. Too much tinkering, a squad of 30 and very rarely do we get 11 playing well together.

A 220 mile round trip yesterday, the day after Christmas and we got served up a stuffing. Too many times has it "appeared" that our players aren't bothered. They play like strangers, and most seem to be there for the money, which they'll get however they perform.

The performance yesterday was an insult to the near 500 who made the journey there.....and I've never heard some of the chanting that was going on yesterday.....we shouldn't be celebrating the fact we had a shot against Doncaster......but that's what we are reduced to now.

Its down to the players, the manager, the coaching staff, and those running the club.

The fans continue to do their bit.....its a shame nobody else is.
Great post mate, I think those who "run" the club should stop under promising and delivering fkuc all and make some decisions, starting with JFH. TBH I am so bored of the pathetic east stand saga I no longer care, just canny bare the thought of L2 again.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 10:08:57 am »

Its as fun now as it was 50 years ago, the only thing now is we've been stripped of hope by Thomas and his belief that we can't achieve much more than survival with a struggling team in decrepit surrounds. 'Its ok for now' he says, No its not!
Just to have some hope and aspirations to gradually build up
our club, would give this old club and its supporters the lift they desperately need.
It feels we are being mothballed under Thomas but like the previous incumbent will be quick to claim they spent 3 or 4 million on the club,  but yet again jack 5hit to show for it.
If the infrastructure isnt right dont waste money building a team first.
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 10:24:47 am »

Logical from Beds about putting infrastructure ahead of buying players but at the moment it is needs must and surviving in L1 falls into the needs must category.  Dropping back into L2 would be truly disastrous.

I have no confidence in our present owners or manager and a growing number of supporters are coming to the same conclusion. 

But I will be there on 1 January willing my team to win. Hope springs eternal.
Report Spam   Logged
Parklands Cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 10:25:38 am »

I have to agree with the general feeling of all the above posts.Always used to go to Boxing day fixture but yesterday i decided it would be more fun to spend the day with Grandchildren and family and I am pleased that I did.Was able to listen to the game on the radio but even that got more depressing as the second half wore on.Was 50/50 about going to Portsmouth but now not going to waste the day and money.Yes the football is as boring as under JED and I am really struggling to want to go to away games.Could not believe the team changes yesterday after Saturdays effort.I did not want JFH as manager but he is turning out worse than i had expected.I hope i am proved wrong but have no confidence at all in him bringing in the players in January that will keep us up.Would not want to be in KTs shoes having to make the funds available, doesn't work out at the end of the season and then has the decision of whether to sack him or not.Or would that be the Chinese who decide?I really dont know.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 10:40:58 am »

Some of you's lot have short memories! Its a cycle thing boys and girls.

I don't recall going to Leeds, seeing us lose 3-0 and then drop into league2 being 'fun'. Or indeed, anymore 'fun' than it is these days. The 0-0 opening match the following season (Macclesfield I believe) was the door opener to several seasons of absolute drivel.

I also don't recall having much 'fun' in the early 90's, seeing us lose to the likes of Crawley and Bromsgrove in the Cup. Home crowds those days were sparse, the football absolute dross. A bit like now really!

The thing is. When your in the relegation zone, generally performing very badly, its then you've got to choose your games carefully.I never intended on ruining my boxing day trudging up the A1 to witness what was most likely going to be a capitulation. Same as going down to Pompey…a defeat (heavy) is the likely outcome.

We are 24 league games in, 30 odd games if you count the cup matches. Its clear as day what the issues are, generally speaking they cannot be mended (or at least bodged up) until January 1st onwards. Those issues were totally apparent after 10 games, shortly after JFH's honeymoon period.

Id already assumed that we'd be 5-7 points adrift of safety by the time we've played Wigan. IF JFH had played the same team as he did on Saturday (yesterday) we'd have probably got beaten because Poole is not up to it as a centre back. Plus the team/squad just isn't fit enough, look how knackered they were in the last 15 minutes against Blackburn! I was *hoping for a point until I saw his team selection. It will be the same at Pomey…if he goes for a more balanced line up, we *might drag out a result but its unlikely. Wigan, forget it!!

My advice to my fellow Cobblers is accept it for what it is and live in eternal hope that we make a number of changes in the first week in January which *could totally change the dynamics of the team. A blend of realism and blind optimism!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 10:48:29 am »

The fact that we only took 500 fans yesterday shows that the fed up camp is ever increasing.

I haven't been bothered myself to go to many away games this season, but cheers Jimmy and the players it was potentially my last one this season.

Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 11:01:56 am »

After we lost, I used to be upset and become even more of a miserable sod all weekend. Now I just say "ah well" and carry on normally. In other words I am ceasing to care and that is really worrying.

I'm finding the same thing. We had an outing to the pantomime followed by a meal with the whole extended family yesterday. I looked at the scores on my phone twice. The first time we were 2-0 down. Once upon a time that would have peed me right off and I'd have been refreshing the page every few minutes in the hope of getting a goal back. Yesterday it didn't even cause a flicker of emotion. I then forgot all about it until around 5:30 when I suddenly realised the game would have finished and checked the final score. I wasn't surprised by it and, more worryingly, wasn't bothered by it either.  Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 11:16:28 am »

Some of you's lot have short memories! Its a cycle thing boys and girls.

I don't recall going to Leeds, seeing us lose 3-0 and then drop into league2 being 'fun'. Or indeed, anymore 'fun' than it is these days. The 0-0 opening match the following season (Macclesfield I believe) was the door opener to several seasons of absolute drivel.

I also don't recall having much 'fun' in the early 90's, seeing us lose to the likes of Crawley and Bromsgrove in the Cup. Home crowds those days were sparse, the football absolute dross. A bit like now really!

The thing is. When your in the relegation zone, generally performing very badly, its then you've got to choose your games carefully.I never intended on ruining my boxing day trudging up the A1 to witness what was most likely going to be a capitulation. Same as going down to Pompey…a defeat (heavy) is the likely outcome.

We are 24 league games in, 30 odd games if you count the cup matches. Its clear as day what the issues are, generally speaking they cannot be mended (or at least bodged up) until January 1st onwards. Those issues were totally apparent after 10 games, shortly after JFH's honeymoon period.

Id already assumed that we'd be 5-7 points adrift of safety by the time we've played Wigan. IF JFH had played the same team as he did on Saturday (yesterday) we'd have probably got beaten because Poole is not up to it as a centre back. Plus the team/squad just isn't fit enough, look how knackered they were in the last 15 minutes against Blackburn! I was *hoping for a point until I saw his team selection. It will be the same at Pomey…if he goes for a more balanced line up, we *might drag out a result but its unlikely. Wigan, forget it!!

My advice to my fellow Cobblers is accept it for what it is and live in eternal hope that we make a number of changes in the first week in January which *could totally change the dynamics of the team. A blend of realism and blind optimism!  Grin

I don't mind losing, IF the players are giving their all and we are being played off the park by a better team then you hold your hands up and say, actaully we did our best but we were beaten by a better team.

The thing that grates me is 3 quarters of that lot out there are not bothered, they are lethagic and disintrested!

Tht is what is simply  NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 11:17:35 am »

The fact that we only took 500 fans yesterday shows that the fed up camp is ever increasing.

I haven't been bothered myself to go to many away games this season, but cheers Jimmy and the players it was potentially my last one this season.

I was going to Pompey too, but part of you thinks what is the point to see another lethagic display and another hammering!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: