The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:26:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Portsmouth (A) 30th December

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portsmouth (A) 30th December  (Read 8239 times)
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #180 on: December 31, 2017, 09:40:43 am »

Correct tcobb.  It is becoming increasingly apparent that lack of leadership off the pitch is having an adverse affect on the club and supporters as a whole. Look at how Shrewsbury & Sc***horpe are doing. AFC Wimbledon will return to SW London in a few years to a spanking new stadium.  Luton are likely to be at a new ground before long.  All are clubs we can compare ourselves with. Meanwhile at Northampton we are going backwards off the pitch and downwards on the pitch to League 2.  The manager cannot motivate the current set of players and our recruitment has been awful for the past 2 seasons.  Players that lack commitment and determination have to be jettisoned. Realistically, what hope is there for recruitment to improve in January unless the Chinese throw money at JFH and alllow us to buy our way out trouble?  Just a few days now until we know the answer.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #181 on: December 31, 2017, 10:12:12 am »

Correct tcobb.  It is becoming increasingly apparent that lack of leadership off the pitch is having an adverse affect on the club and supporters as a whole. Look at how Shrewsbury & Sc***horpe are doing. AFC Wimbledon will return to SW London in a few years to a spanking new stadium.  Luton are likely to be at a new ground before long.  All are clubs we can compare ourselves with. Meanwhile at Northampton we are going backwards off the pitch and downwards on the pitch to League 2.  The manager cannot motivate the current set of players and our recruitment has been awful for the past 2 seasons.  Players that lack commitment and determination have to be jettisoned. Realistically, what hope is there for recruitment to improve in January unless the Chinese throw money at JFH and alllow us to buy our way out trouble?  Just a few days now until we know the answer.

I can see you are unhappy and must be if you praise others with similar views. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism personally I like viewing those type of posts. Even Shoemakers suggestion of gardening leave for JFH is not without its merits! Why cannot you make some sort of proposal rather than exhibit a somewhat repetitive personal discourse of negative thinking; proper latter day soothsayer

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 31, 2017, 10:45:38 am »

Unsure why Everbrite always takes it upon himself to defend the indefensible.

Football managers do not go on gardening leave so the suggestion is ridiculous.  Graham Carr is in his 70s, has made his fortune and has not managed for over 25 years. Again ridiculous.

The reality seems to me to be that contrary to what I think should happen the club will stick by JFH for now.  I take that as read.  Therefore, if I were the Chinese owners I would provide enough money for JFH to buy at least 1, better still 2 strikers with a decent record, a couple of midfielders able to win the ball and pass it, a couple of wide men able to take on and get past defenders.  Also we need a left sided centre back to play alongside Taylor and, sadly, replace Buchs at left back. If Ingram does not stay a new 'keeper is also needed.  We are talking money north of £1 million.

Off the pitch I think it is time for KT to move on and the Chinese should appoint their own English Chairman. They also need to tell us what the plans are for the club.  But the first thing is survival.

Report Spam   Logged
guest143

« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2017, 11:31:59 am »

There are no easy solutions for the problems with our team, however, I'd feel more comfortable if Jimmy slowed down and stopped trying to resolve them in an absolutist way. I'd concede that we lack genuine wingers, but accept that Smith can provide Buchanan cover he clearly needs, but also possesses a chance to counter/beat players with his speed and an industrious style. I thought Jimmy displayed this awareness  in the beginning. If you play players out of position, then you need the conviction to do so for more than 1 or 2 games.

Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2017, 16:11:43 pm »

There are no easy solutions for the problems with our team, however, I'd feel more comfortable if Jimmy slowed down and stopped trying to resolve them in an absolutist way. I'd concede that we lack genuine wingers, but accept that Smith can provide Buchanan cover he clearly needs, but also possesses a chance to counter/beat players with his speed and an industrious style. I thought Jimmy displayed this awareness  in the beginning. If you play players out of position, then you need the conviction to do so for more than 1 or 2 games.

WTF are you going on about snowy? Absolutist way  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 31, 2017, 16:27:01 pm »

Amongst other things, yes!
Oxford, Gills and Rotherham saw us in either claret or black. Utter s***e in orange! Why do we persist with that pathetic novelty Man City third kit s***e?
That shirt has come to symbolise the inept, turgid no fight season...enhanced by JFH!
Rob, out of interest, do you happen to know how many points we have accumulated wearing that kit??!!
Report Spam   Logged
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2017, 16:29:23 pm »

I was thinking exactly the same, BIN IT, I've yet to see a decent performance with us in Orange !!!!

All joking apart, why don't we get a set of Claret shorts, then we can wear our proper shirts in most games.
I say we go back to the all white kit with 2 claret hoops on the shirt. A real kit! Might inspire us!
Report Spam   Logged
spqr

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 31, 2017, 16:53:49 pm »

I say we go back to the all white kit with 2 claret hoops on the shirt. A real kit! Might inspire us!

But then you would need a team that played 100% regardless - Large, Martin, Starling, McNeil, Kiernan, Clarke.  The list goes on.  Will youngsters today look back at any of the players today and think that they were good?

Report Spam   Logged
guest143

« Reply #188 on: December 31, 2017, 17:04:40 pm »

WTF are you going on about snowy? Absolutist way  Grin
He's being absolutist about changing the team line-up for each match, as if that's the way of solving problems?
I'd rather he accepted the lack of depth, but attempted to play his style of football and maybe the payers will pick it up.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #189 on: December 31, 2017, 20:28:02 pm »

I thought that we were playing well until the 36th minute, when we scored we appeared to back off looking to protect our lead. Even if the plan was only until half time it gave them back the initiative which they took with both hands.
I spoke to a Pompey fan sat in their North Stand who said that they were getting concerned at how well we were playing for that early period.
Not sure about Ingram's role in their first, I thought it must have taken a deflection but from the highlights not so.  Their Hawkins played a good game yesterday, avoiding Taylor all game and plonking himself alongside either Poole or Buchanan which had the desired results for his two goals.
As others have said, after the promising 36 minutes of the first, in the second half we looked like a team without any idea how to play. Probably stuck between a rock and hard place between defending and trying to claw back a goal but it wasn't good to see, we probably got away with only conceding three.
The attack, attack, attack shout from us confirmed that others felt the same.
The official has probably had better games, he appeared to be lacking in any kind of confidence being swayed by whoever shouted the loudest. I didn't think he was leaning towards either Pompey or ourselves. His management of drop balls was something else which resulted in Danny Rose having his leg broken by JJOT...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #190 on: December 31, 2017, 21:11:15 pm »

Rob, out of interest, do you happen to know how many points we have accumulated wearing that kit??!!
Close to zero...a minute away on the season's opener in Salop!
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2018, 10:50:39 am »

I think there's some serious overreaction on this thread. Yes we need some new players who offer us more attacking options and "characters" who are willing to give their all for the team. But 3 or 4 of the right players may be enough to turn things around if they make a big impact, because it can make the rest play better, simliar to the effect JJOT's return from injury had for a few games. Wilder also did it with 3 key signings in Jan 2015.

There are important concerns, but I think January will be key to our season and things can turn around, IF we can get the right players. I was one of the first to complain about our second half performance on Saturday, and agree that we should have defended goals 2 and 3 better...... BUT there's an awful lot of luck involved in football and we had very little of it in the first half on Saturday, when we played well enough to deserve a 1-0 half time lead and then who knows. Both their first 2 goals were wonder goals of the type teams usually only score once every 5 or 6 games. We got two in five minutes - not an excuse for the rest of the performance but a real kick in the teeth when you're already down on your luck. If those goals hadn't gone in and we'd played out a boring second half for a 1-0 win, the messages here would be about turning corners etc. There are some serious concerns on and off the field, but let's at least have a little perspective. Things can change quickly.
Report Spam   Logged
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 01, 2018, 11:44:16 am »

Close to zero...a minute away on the season's opener in Salop!
Thanks...and Happy New Year to you. It needs to be!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #193 on: January 01, 2018, 11:47:46 am »

Thanks...and Happy New Year to you. It needs to be!

Well I am at SS Classic Car 🚗 show and its ‘pissing’ down. Haven’t seen yu yet?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
super-si

View Profile
500 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2018, 09:13:49 am »

Oh dear! It would appear that Danny Rose has a broken leg after the drop-ball with John-Joe! Get well soon Danny!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42537435
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: