The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 21:45:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Southend United (H) 2pm 6th Jan

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Southend United (H) 2pm 6th Jan  (Read 9921 times)
Another Pedj

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2018, 12:00:46 pm »

I agree. IMO i'd play Foley in middle with him, Jimmy keeps swapping Foley left/right side midfield. I'd like to see him alongside Grimes, Foley doesn't mind a tackle + he's got a good work ethic. I think by playing him more central, we could get a bit more out of Grimes.

I thought Crooks in central midfield was our best player 2nd half. Needs to be given a run there in his ideal position.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2018, 12:01:58 pm »

Because he signed him and none of the others?

If I had a quid for every 10-15 yard pass Grimes needlessly played straight to an opposing player id have a few quid by now…

JED brought grimes in back in August.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2235

« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2018, 12:41:02 pm »

I agree. IMO i'd play Foley in middle with him, Jimmy keeps swapping Foley left/right side midfield. I'd like to see him alongside Grimes, Foley doesn't mind a tackle + he's got a good work ethic. I think by playing him more central, we could get a bit more out of Grimes.
Play Foley in his preferred position? A bit radical for Jimmy, he even started Bert on the left!
Report Spam   Logged
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2018, 13:47:27 pm »

Play Foley in his preferred position? A bit radical for Jimmy, he even started Bert on the left!
Oops didn't think of that  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2018, 14:50:08 pm »

I thought Crooks in central midfield was our best player 2nd half. Needs to be given a run there in his ideal position.

I thought so too!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2995

« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2018, 16:35:14 pm »

Because he signed him and none of the others?

If I had a quid for every 10-15 yard pass Grimes needlessly played straight to an opposing player id have a few quid by now…
Errr except he didn’t sign him .
And I disagree about giving the ball away - I think he makes himself available and looks for the pass most of the time .
Having said that , I would like to see him drive further forward but we are a poor team in that division and so opportunity is limited .
The alternative is to play JJOT in that position which I think he is better suited to .
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2018, 16:42:41 pm »

Grimes or Crooks?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest2539

« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2018, 16:50:28 pm »

Grimes or Crooks?
BOTH!
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2018, 18:14:56 pm »

Grimes or Crooks?

Difficult to chose - Grimes flatters to deceive sometimes showing both class and graft but other times I get the distinct impression he thinks he is too good to be playing at our level. On balance (and perhaps spoiled by Matt Taylor) I think his dead ball delivery is decidedly average. Crooks on the other hand probably less skillful and occasionally headless chicken stuff but has physical presence and up for a fight - given where we are (in the trenches and still in the s***) I would choose Crooks.
Report Spam   Logged
TownOwl

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2018, 20:19:36 pm »

I thought Crooks looked better in that almost No 10 role when JFH first came in. He scored like 3 in 3 or something too. He hasn't played there since. JJOT needs to be in midfield for me, but I understand we need someone to support Long before JFH will consider that. With someone like JJOT alongside, I think Grimes will do better. So for me it's a question of McWilliams or Grimes alongside JJOT.

And I've had enough of Grimes on set pieces now. Surely we have someone better? Maybe Berto can be our man?
Report Spam   Logged

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2018, 22:38:44 pm »

Personally I want to see Crooks kept in the middle as he looks much much better there than when stuck out wide.

That makes sense ....keep it up Wink
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2018, 22:54:18 pm »

Absolute rubbish .
Grimes has had some off games for us recently but has been a shining light for much of the season .
There’s a reason why he is the only midfield player JFH has constantly picked.
Grimes is getting unfair treatment on here when his counterparts have been below average .
Crooks is nowhere near the player we saw playing for Accrington and I can’t remember Foley doing anything seriously influential in a game . Only JJOT and McWilliams from the midfield have performed as consistently as Grimes .

If you had witnessed some of Grimes recent away display's then I doubt you would be quite so vociferous. One can only assume is that you have let personal 'feelings' jeopardize your opinion. If Grimes can put together 3 or 4 games of relatively modest consistency then fine. The facts are is that he has had just two fine games so far this season - its not good enough for a £1million plus player. Perhaps this explains why he has failed at championship level? Its all very well blaming the team for being inept etc but a £million plus player should do a lot better in L1. At the moment Grimes is more often than not a luxury in our current circumstances even when compared with Crooks and that's saying something! Still am sure Bradford will be a reasonably tough test for him - if he disappears in this game ...forget him ; send him back!

ps While I am at it Pierre has been a bit of a disappointment at L1 level, goodish in some games, but is ponderously slow and does not exhibit a great deal of football ability. From what I understand he was effective in L2 (ask Coolie), we really need a centre back at the moment with a bit more about them. Frankly would sell him and look for better. Should we end up in L2 then he may well then be an asset Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 23:03:18 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

Macc Cobbler

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2018, 23:13:31 pm »

It will be interesting to see if Jack Bridge comes into the team, and if so who he will replace.

JJOT has to be the first name on the team sheet.

On  the back of the second half performance Crooks deserves to keep his place - looked class.

I think Foley improves game by game.

Do we play Bert on the right in place of Hoskins, or keep him as an impact sub ?

And where does this leave Grimes ? 
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2018, 06:01:28 am »

One thing I don't buy into is the 'excuse' that a player is playing crap because he's in a rubbish team. I've seen a lot of people claim Grimes would be much better if he had better players, harder players, surrounding him. Well surely thats the case in every team and for every single player out there?!

Bradly Johnson wasn't bad in a poor side for us and earned a big money move. Steve Brown was superb when we were bottom of the 4th division, as was Micky Bell. Neither of those two were particularly 'robust' players (especially Bell!), more artists than grafters Id argue. Any player in the football league has to be able to look after himself ffs!

And then theres Waters. 16 goals for a rubbish team in league 2 last season. And I don't care where he plays for us, has played…he simply doesn't look capable at this moment in time of replicating such form or even getting close to doing so.

Grimes is what he is. I thought he was superb 2nd half on Saturday and was my overall man of the match, Im acutely aware that no one else shares that view. But I felt he influenced the result more so than anyone else. Against Wigan he was useless. And he's been poor more times than not in recent times. He started off very well for us though so its clearly a form thing.

The key component for our team is John Joe. When he plays the other lads get a bit more time on the ball which makes it easier for them. But lets not forget at the start of the season when Grimes looked very good on a consistent basis JJ wasn't in the team. So he has it in him. Consistency is the issue, thats why he's with us and not higher up the ladder!
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2018, 11:49:56 am »

It will be interesting to see if Jack Bridge comes into the team, and if so who he will replace.

JJOT has to be the first name on the team sheet.

On  the back of the second half performance Crooks deserves to keep his place - looked class.

I think Foley improves game by game.

Do we play Bert on the right in place of Hoskins, or keep him as an impact sub ?

And where does this leave Grimes ? 

I think Jack Bridge will be another odd signing who doesn't get a game.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2018, 11:57:56 am »

See my team posted earlier, I would only play one of Crooks/Grimes in the central "advanced" role with McWilliams next to JJ in a 4-2-3-1.

My temptation would be to send Grimes back and tell Crooks to man up and show the form that made us sign him, but don't think we have room for both in our side. Crooks does add some height to the forward area and he is our player so should be bothered about where we end up.

Told you Boot & Shoe Grimes too inconsistent!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:00:05 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

guest2995

« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2018, 12:04:07 pm »

Told you Boot & Shoe Grimes too inconsistent!
Football is a game of opinion and quite a few people do not agree with yours with regards to Grimes .
He is a good player .
Report Spam   Logged
guest3023

« Reply #177 on: January 09, 2018, 12:19:14 pm »

If you had witnessed some of Grimes recent away display's then I doubt you would be quite so vociferous. One can only assume is that you have let personal 'feelings' jeopardize your opinion. If Grimes can put together 3 or 4 games of relatively modest consistency then fine. The facts are is that he has had just two fine games so far this season - its not good enough for a £1million plus player. Perhaps this explains why he has failed at championship level? Its all very well blaming the team for being inept etc but a £million plus player should do a lot better in L1. At the moment Grimes is more often than not a luxury in our current circumstances even when compared with Crooks and that's saying something! Still am sure Bradford will be a reasonably tough test for him - if he disappears in this game ...forget him ; send him back!

ps While I am at it Pierre has been a bit of a disappointment at L1 level, goodish in some games, but is ponderously slow and does not exhibit a great deal of football ability. From what I understand he was effective in L2 (ask Coolie), we really need a centre back at the moment with a bit more about them. Frankly would sell him and look for better. Should we end up in L2 then he may well then be an asset Roll Eyes

You make it sound like Cobblers paid the £1m for him! He's on loan so what he was bought for is irrelevant. FWIW I don't disagree that he is not a £1m player and I have my doubts as to whether he could do well at Championship level.  However I do believe he is more than good enough for this level, that his performances, though inconsistent, have still proved an asset this season and I for one would be disappointed to see him sent back.

As regards Pierre, I had high hopes but he hasn't performed as well as I had expected. I still like him as a player however and if he could add more composure in his distribution then he can be a very good player at this level.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: