The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 10:25:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

MK Donkeys Home 20 Jan 18

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MK Donkeys Home 20 Jan 18  (Read 21835 times)
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2018, 00:35:41 am »

Thought we played really well in patches today, but MK did as well and we were lucky to come away with all three points in the end.

Bunney looks awesome going forward, JJOT benefitting straight away from his decent crosses which we have lacked from that side. Will need to keep Foley at left wing to cover him though, he looked like an ex-striker when defending at times. Talking of Foley, he was a monster today. Facey looks a gem of a find, we will do well to hold onto him. Turnbull and Ash won plenty in the air and even broke forward when they could.

Crooks had his best game for us in the middle with Grimes, was nice to see them both getting stuck in as well as some fantastic passing. Hoskins was industrious, he has certainly got better at tracking back and putting the tackles in, which for me is what is keeping him in the side. Ariyibi looked rapid bit got shoved of the ball no end, was happy to try and get blocks in when needed so will reserve judgement for now.

Berto. The legend is either going to do something crazy (getting booked for timewasting by megging Nicholls twice whilst they are trying to take a free kick, winning a free kick and whipping the crowd into a frenzy), show touches of class (some of his lay-offs and going past players were superb) or be a liability (wants to be involved in every fracas, always out of position when defending). God, I love this guy so much already.  Grin

Long and JJ upfront seems to have a real chemistry now. JJ won plenty of flicks and dropped back into the middle to make things happen, despite MK targeting him for a kicking to try and provoke a response. Was lucky not to see red with Aneke though, ref was awful for both teams. Long carries on scoring and looks a much better player than the start of the season.

O'Donnell produced one of the best goalkeeping displays I have seen at Sixfields, he is the reason we got the three points for me. Looks a solid signing.

Dons were better than their position suggest and looked dangerous with the ball, but defensively were the worst side I have seen without the ball. Great support from all in the stands today, an important three points and teams around us must be getting worried about our form.

Up The Teyn.
Report Spam   Logged
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2018, 07:06:18 am »

Another manager gone on the  back of a Cobblers win
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42763390

Looks like many of their fans got their wish, appearing willing to sacrifice yesterdays game for this
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2018, 07:42:13 am »

Only my fourth match this season, and second win, last one being Walsall where an almost unrecognisable team also played quite well.
So O'Donnell made some errors through the game but produced a couple of fantastic saves, of course as we won everybody wants to talk about the saves, righly so.
The two full backs were impressive although Bunney's defending not the best but pace a great asset to him. Two centre bcaks weren't without their errors either Taylor scuffed a cross field pass straight to the opposition remember? But on the whole solid enough. Midfield was where it all happened and we had the better players there simple as that. Grimes looks bound for a great career in the game, and Crooks, at well over 6ft this guy should posess everytjing to be top class, whilst not quite there yet he's getting betterwith us isn't he? Absolutely fantastic performance from O'Toole fast becoming the new "Mr Northampton Town" And Long in my opinion is a fantastic striker who will go on to better things, huge workload for the lad yesterday and of course playing away from home it will only increase. I would snap him up permanently if there was a chance!
All in all a good L1 battle added to by the comic sight of a pie fancying official waddling about the pitch. A good day despite/becuase of the weather.
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
Buster

View Profile
Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2018, 08:00:38 am »

Another manager gone on the  back of a Cobblers win

It’s a bit insulting though that both the Southend and MK board consider that defeat at Northampton is the final straw.  I bet Tony Mowbray is beginning to s*** himself up at Blackburn...
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2018, 08:17:09 am »

Yesterday was a positive day all round, a win, a big crowd, an improved performance, feel good factor returning. However, only at Northampton do some fans feel the need to try to find a negative. Hoskins was fine, he even set up the winning goal for God’s sake!! Give the lad a break.
Report Spam   Logged
Buster

View Profile
Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #205 on: January 21, 2018, 08:30:18 am »

Couldn’t agree more about Hoskins.  His first cross was spot on and MK did well keep it out, and when it came back to him he played it perfectly for Long to score. I also thought that on a couple of occasions in the first half he was sold a bit short by others but took the rap for for it. 
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2018, 08:47:30 am »

I see both sides of the argument
My two penneth is that he often tries to pick a pass but chooses the wrong one.
When you try to be creative it happens.
He did as others have pointed out set the winning goal up.
He always puts the effort in but it’s my opinion that under jimmy he has to work very hard in his role for the team and can’t last ninety minutes doing it.
I watched him second half and he wasn’t a threat and wasn’t getting forward to create like in the first,he was basically just performing a defensive role dropping deeper.
Jimmy had seen enough and subbed him.
Absolutely the right decision in my opinion and it’s good to have a manager who can actually spot things and make sensible subs.
I think if Sam is to have a roll in the team going forward playing his new role he will have to adapt and get fitter to last longer.
FWIW I don’t think he will stay in the team when we sign a couple of new forwards.
BUT I don’t think this new role suits Sam who is a striker.
If we get new players in I’d loan Sam out to a league two club where he can play his preferred role and hopefully score a hatful
He will then be a useful asset to us financially and we can either turn a profit or bring him back into the squad and see how he goes until jan next year and make a decision on his future then.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 21, 2018, 11:48:54 am »

Thought Foley was great today. Covered and combatted well all game.
He had a lot of the ball too and shame he doesnt have a trick or turn of pace as he could have caused all sorts of problems. 

Foley reminds me so much of James Milner.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2018, 11:51:39 am »

Foley reminds me so much of James Milner.

Great shout. Very good footballer, but when does he fit best into any formation?
Report Spam   Logged
Fred_NTFC

View Profile
Level 6 1000 Posts Search
« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2018, 12:50:34 pm »

Hoskins won't change in his good & bad points, but I thought last year showed that (obviously dependant on what formation we're playing) his best position by far was just behind the striker/strikers, picking up pockets of space where he can be a bit more direct, draw fouls & cause havoc with his pace. I know it was in a poor side, but he still for a run of games looked far more dangerous than at any other point in his Cobblers career.
Report Spam   Logged

Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2018, 12:58:59 pm »

The problem with Hoskins is that 9/10 he flatters to deceive.  When it comes to an assessment of his game it is a case of not confusing activity with progress.  I can't question his hard work but, taking yesterday as a typical day at the office for him, he all too often made the wrong decision with the ball at his feet e.g. shooting when he had better options and needing too much time to bring the ball fully under his control.  For me he is a L2 player and quite why the club gave him a 2.5 years new contract baffles me.
Report Spam   Logged
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2018, 13:44:14 pm »

The bloke behind me mentioned to his mate that he thought the Ref had had a good Christmas - That made me smile and settled early nerves. Absolutely great result. Well done lads.

A very good Christmas.  Did he even leave the centre circle?  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2018, 14:53:38 pm »

Just about deserved the win overall yesterday, some decent performances out there and to be fair to MK they were considerably better than I thought they'd be.

A couple of observations. Did MK actually scout us properly?! I got the impression that they still thought we had zero width! Hence the diamond formation, which they did change during the course of the game. I commented early doors how much room our fullbacks and in particular Foley were being given, its almost as if they thought that our fullbacks wouldn't be able to take advantage of it. IF we'd started with either of the new wingers they would have had a field day!! Sadly (for us) they'd re-organised things before they came on.

Also, the sending off. I've seen it now on the laptop, struggling to see that the 'extra argy bargy' he did over John Joe was the difference between a yellow and a red. Both should have been booked, end of. Harsh that he will be banned for 3 games and zero chance of winning an appeal given 'by the book it probably was a red'. Common sense and all that eh!!

Facey is some find as well. I tweeted last night he will be playing in the prem within 2 years. Whilst its early doors to say this, he's every bit as good as Kyle Walker was for us. The only difference is that he's 3 or 4 years older. He's the best signing out of the 7 for me, an absolute jem.

Bunney looks great attacking, doesn't look so good at defending. Pretty much what the Rochdale fans all said when we signed him. I commented mid way through the game yesterday that we could do with bringing Poole back into the side to cover our two new fullbacks attacking runs. If we play an attacking winger in front of Bunney we will have zero resistance down that side of the pitch otherwise! Foley did great there yesterday but we did lose our defensive shape once he went off, there is food for thought there. Grimes would be the one who would give way if Poole came into the midfield, Crooks has finally found his form and position in the team now (my man of the match yesterday) and John Joe..well theres no debate in terms of leaving him out!!

My midfield for Blackburn would be Foley - Crooks, Grimes, JJ (advanced) and Pierra. If we go with two wingers then Poole has to come in for Grimes but I do think that would be a mistake at this point in time.

Another top striker and we'd have a top6 22 man squad once its been culled.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2018, 16:16:39 pm »

The issue with attacking full backs, as others have said, is that you need defensively competent wingers/inside forwards to cover them/press high up the pitch to avoid pressure. That's why I'd continue to start Foley and Hoskins ahead of Pereria and Ariyibi for the time being. What a change to have genuinely game-changing options off the bench, though.

Hoskins got a decent assist yesterday and pressed and harried effectively; that's job done as far as I'm concerned. There may come a time when he's not producing assists/offering a goal threat and at that point Pereira or Ariyibi will be knocking at the door to replace him. I'd keep him in there for the time being though.

JFH appears to have found a system that works. Long is thriving on the improved service he's getting and I think that the forward we bring in should be with a view to providing another option rather than a replacement. Long has finishing ability; Revell has height and aerial ability. What we lack up there is pace and power and that's the type of forward I'd like to see us go for.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2018, 16:20:35 pm »

Grimes is really starting to look like a very good player indeed now he has options out wide and real pace to aim at.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2018, 16:41:32 pm »

He has refereed us twice already this season, both at home, against Fleetwood (first home game) & Southampton U21s.
Report Spam   Logged
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2018, 17:55:52 pm »

He has refereed us twice already this season, both at home, against Fleetwood (first home game) & Southampton U21s.

Wearing black is slimming so they say. The green outfit he wore this time didn't help.
Report Spam   Logged
Trickymicky

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2018, 18:18:04 pm »

Great win, rode our luck somewhat but who cares, renewed optimism at last.  Neilson’s after match comments show he is a poor loser, he even begrudged our point at their place and we were by far the better team on the night!  The team is starting show promise with JJ pivotal in most things that happen on the field, the tide is turning.  Dare to dream at Blackburn?
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2018, 18:22:20 pm »

Those involved with local football, particularly youth football, will recognise that silhouette and also the reffing style.
Report Spam   Logged
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2018, 18:38:38 pm »

Those involved with local football, particularly youth football, will recognise that silhouette and also the reffing style.

I had Brian Glover/Kes (the football match) come in to my slightly over active mind during the game yesterday.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: