Warning: memcache_connect(): Can't connect to 127.0.0.1:11211, Connection failed: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond (10060) in C:\sites\smfwild\Sources\Load.php on line 2583

Warning: memcache_connect(): Can't connect to 127.0.0.1:11211, Connection failed: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond (10060) in C:\sites\smfwild\Sources\Load.php on line 2583
Sell the Cobblers to me.....
The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 13:16:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Sell the Cobblers to me.....

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sell the Cobblers to me.....  (Read 3154 times)
Alanwwfc

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: January 28, 2018, 07:48:09 am »

Hi guys

Allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Alan and I am (officially) a supporter of Wolves.

Now before you immediately ban me or chase me away with burning pitchforks lol allow me to explain my reasons for being here....

I’ve supported Wolves for most of my life and from the years of 2008-2013 I was a season ticket holder. I experienced the joys of winning the championship, premier league football then the lows of successive relegations and a record breaking league one season. We Wolves fans get a lot of stick but there’s no denying the last few years have been somewhat rollercoaster....

Anyway

I moved to Rugby in 2012 and my first child was born in 2013. In the same year I was forced to give up work due to some health issues and for childcare reasons. As you can probably imagine anyway travelling to Wolves from Rugby weekly for football was taking it out of me anyway both health wise and financially. So at the end of the league one season I made the difficult decision to end my time as a season ticket holder.

I have continued to get to the odd match here and there and will always do so but the cost of championship football on my budget is tough enough and with Premier League football looming I know I’m going to struggle further.

So this is where NTFC come into it....

First of all guys please don’t be insulted I’m not saying you’re “cheap” or anything of that nature. No far from it.

My wife entered a draw for tickets to your home game against Rochdale last week. No idea why she just did it but surprisingly she actually won!

So here’s the situation....

I will always and forever be a Wolves supporter. They are my first love as far as football is concerned. My currrbt second team is Torquay United but obviously they are even further away so they are purely an armchair team for me.

This therefore leaves room in my life for a joint second team. One who I can go and watch occasionally without the worry of driving down (and getting stuck on) the M6. And a team that’s hopefully slightly more affordable.

I’ve never had any interest in Coventry City who are geographically closer but I can’t support any team that plays in blue and white so I am hoping that your club will soon become one of my clubs.

So what I am asking is that you guys sell your club to me. Persuade me that the Cobblers are worth adopting. I literally know bugger all about Northampton Town but I want to know.

I’ve been to your ground once only and that was actually for Coventry v Wolves so attending as a home fan will be a new experience for me.

Also can anyone tell me where I can park safely on the day?

So guys it’s over to you now... can you accept a friendly Wolves fan?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Buster

View Profile
Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 08:11:16 am »

I’ve supported Wolves for most of my life and from the years of 2008-2013 I was a season ticket holder. I experienced the joys of winning the championship, premier league football then the lows of successive relegations and a record breaking league one season. We Wolves fans get a lot of stick but there’s no denying the last few years have been somewhat rollercoaster....

Rollercoaster you say...  Well Alan, think of the Cobblers in a similar way but condense the Rollercoaster ride all into one season - with a ride on the Dogems thrown in.

Report Spam   Logged
Letchworthcobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 08:18:28 am »

Rollercoaster you say...  Well Alan, think of the Cobblers in a similar way but condense the Rollercoaster ride all into one season - with a ride on the Dogems thrown in.

+1
Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare except my genius
guest2235

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 08:46:38 am »

Why don’t you go and support Rugby Town?
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 08:54:47 am »

TBH most cobblers fans are a friendly bunch and very much part of the football family, A month ago the football was awful and only for the loyalist of supporters but now JFH has some of his own players the football has improved and so have the results.
One of our flags has born to suffer on it and I guess that sums up NTFC, it's the hope that kills you.
Not sure where your tickets are but West Upper is the best place to view the action.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest2487

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 09:30:53 am »

Jeema.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 09:36:10 am »

In the past 4 years we have been bottom of the entire league by 6 or 7 points, stayed up with a game to go, gone to the high court to save us from liquidation, been taken over, won the league by 13 points, had an ongoing police investigation into the previous chairmans dodgy council loan scam, been part of an electoral fraud investigation, had some sort of Chinese lot buy a controlling stake, been through 4 managers and currently in a relegation battle.
And this has been a quiet time in our history.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
the_nosk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 09:39:02 am »

Why don’t you go and support Rugby Town?

Why would you advise anyone to go and support another team rather than NTFC, especially after going to the effort of writing such a well composed request for information? Welcome aboard to anyone that wants to ride, its not always fun, but its getting better!
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 09:52:07 am »

Supporting NTFC is the only legitimate reason I know of for having COBBLERS tattooed on your torso, and who wouldn't want that?
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 09:53:17 am »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Tull

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35946895

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/sport/in-four-years-dave-bowen-took-northampton-to-the-first-division-on-a-budget-that-would-not-cover-the-1603302.html%

Some good stuff from the recent and not so recent history.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 10:21:32 am »

This should sway it. Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
guest2677

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 10:31:48 am »

Sell the Cobblers to me?...
Email Kelvin Thomas, for ten million quid the clubs probably yours.

There's a few of us from Rugby and District who support the club so you won't be alone. You might live just the wrong side of the Rains Brook but don't let that put you off.
Although our club derby is against those swamp dwellers over in Peterborough, your dislike of Cov also gets you added start up points in these regions too.
Welcome.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Buster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 10:38:58 am »

A 'proper' response (except the last link doesn't work)..

Lets also not forget that our song 'The trees are green, the sky are blue...' was voted the best terrace chant in the football league (in some poll a few years back; someone will have to help me with the citation...)

Also, from wikipedia "...After two more seasons, in 1996–97, Atkins lead the Cobblers to Wembley for the first time in 100 years, where they beat Swansea City 1–0 in the play-off final in front of 46,804 of whom 32,000 were Northampton supporters. John Frain scored the winning goal from a twice-taken free kick deep into injury time, adding to the club's centenary celebrations.[6][7][8] The 1997–98 season also saw another Wembley play-off appearance, this time in the Division Two play-off final, which was lost 1–0 to Grimsby Town in front of a then record 62,998 crowd.[9] Over 40,000 of the crowd were Northampton supporters, which was at the time a record for the most supporters taken to Wembley by one team. Surpassed by Millwall's 45,000 fans in the 2009 League One play-off final against Sc***horpe United."

So you see Alan, there is HUGE potential at this club.  We just need a stadium that offers... er, hold on a bit - no I don't think we'll go there...  Just go and read the redevelopment thread if you've got a spare month or three.

Report Spam   Logged
guest2235

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 10:41:13 am »

Why would you advise anyone to go and support another team rather than NTFC, especially after going to the effort of writing such a well composed request for information? Welcome aboard to anyone that wants to ride, its not always fun, but its getting better!
Wasn’t advising him to do anything, I was asking why he doesn’t support his local team! He is welcome at Sixfields anytime however given health and travel issues, surely Rugby makes sense as his third team.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 10:49:24 am »

My dad went to his first game in 1947, then he started taking me, I started taking my step kids and now we all go together. My baby daughter also has a Cobblers shirt and will start coming with us when she's a bit older (shh, don't tell her mum Grin).

I guess my point is we're a family club. I never realised quite how much that meant until I found myself in the stands at Coventry and Notts County in the tumultuous time Marquis mentioned above, sitting alongside two other generations of my family and thinking "this could be our last ever game".

Thankfully, neither were and we're probably now in the best financial position we've ever been in, leading to some exciting players signing under Hasselbaink and what appears to be a turnaround in our on field fortunes in full swing.

On top of that we're a friendly (if grumpy) bunch, we have a nice, compact little ground where you can get seated really close to the action, there's never any agro and, if you choose to keep up with off field activities relating to our previous regime, you'll learn lots about electoral fraud, good old fashioned ordinary fraud, money laundering, creative accounting practices, planning permission, town planning, winding up orders, you name it, we've dipped our toe in the water...

So in summary, the Cobblers; not just a football team but a learning opportunity!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 11:41:44 am »

The 'Hi guys' was enough for me!
Report Spam   Logged
Alanwwfc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 12:07:32 pm »

I did think about Rugby Town but my wife randomly entering then happening to win the tickets makes me think maybe it’s an omen and I need to give the cobblers a chance...
Report Spam   Logged
Buster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 12:33:55 pm »

The 'Hi guys' was enough for me!

That’s a bit unfair. It could’ve been a lot worse.  

Hi guys n’ gals,

Now then, now then.   UhnUhnUhn.   As it ‘appens, could you fix it for me to visit your beautiful stadium six-fields...

Report Spam   Logged
phil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 12:42:40 pm »

I did think about Rugby Town but my wife randomly entering then happening to win the tickets makes me think maybe it’s an omen and I need to give the cobblers a chance...
welcome aboard Alan come and give the cobblers a try, be warned thought once you get the claret running through you, your hooked mate.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Buster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 13:59:27 pm »

Perhaps it is an Omen Alan.  Lets look at the signs...

You support Wolves and we have a member on here called Wolvo (ding)
You have a wife that gambles and we’ve had a couple of managers that gamble (ding)
You’re name is Alan and we have a supporter called Alan - probably (ding)
You had the most natural striker of a ball I ever saw in Steve Bull, and we have a forum full of Bull (I’m waiting)

Yep, looks like it’s fate Alan; see you in Carr’s bar...
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: