The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:04:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Scunny (A) 17th Feb

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scunny (A) 17th Feb  (Read 9364 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2018, 21:48:25 pm »

I'm confused. In this scenario, is he unable to pass the ball or has he passed to Taylor? Please confirm.

Grin Bit of a chuckle that!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2018, 07:55:39 am »

IMO:
Turnbull did a good job on Saturday, Bunny needs more from the player in front of him whoever that is.
Crooks had a good game, Grimes did enough to retain his place.
The Scunny first goal came because Ariyibi lost the ball in an advanced position and the back four were too deep and exacerbated it by continuing to back off rather than hold the line they had.  The second was because RO'D misjudged his interception, I can't understand why neither JJOT nor Moloney didn't put more effort into jumping higher to head away their second?
Bring Sam Hoskins back in on the right, Ariyibi on the left to see what he can do.  I only really noticed that he was playing on Saturday when he was subbed.
Long or vV starting on Saturday will have the same effect if neither of them receive a bit of quality service although Long worked hard at Scunny.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2018, 08:13:30 am »

IMO:
Turnbull did a good job on Saturday, Bunny needs more from the player in front of him whoever that is.

I'd agree here... I think if Bunney starts at left back, then Foley needs to be ahead of him.

I still maintain Turnbull is the best left back at the club though.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest2995

« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2018, 08:27:53 am »

Bunney was awful on Saturday but was exposed and up against Holmes who is one of the best players in the league  . Cross after cross came in .
I have not seen Turnbull play well yet . He doesn’t win much and makes mistakes .
I thought Ariyibi did ok on Saturday and was the only threat going forward . Much more of a threat than Powell.
Their first goal was not a back four issue , it was a lack of balance in the midfield . No one sensed danger when we lost the ball and screened the defence .
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2018, 08:34:47 am »

Their first goal was not a back four issue , it was a lack of balance in the midfield . No one sensed danger when we lost the ball and screened the defence .

Having watched the highlights again, I'm not sure Powell covered himself in too much glory for their first. He seemed too protective of his flank despite Moloney being behind him.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2018, 09:28:33 am »

Just to wade into the Grimes debate I afree at times that he has flattered to deceive but think the system we play does not help him at all.

I think he would be best utilised in a midfield 3 (not as we are now with JJOT as a 10). Often you see him pick up the ball and he has a massive gap to the other CM or the wingers pick up positions where they basically become marked. You see Ariyibi drop deeper when he gets put out wide and gives Grimes an easy ball. Otherwise he has to either try and beat a man in the centre of the pitch (if he loses it there is no cover en route to our defence) or go backwards.

Clearly a talented footballer but just think so much has to go through him because of the gaping hole in our midfield (been an issue the last two seasons now) that inevitably he struggles on occasions.

Just watch on Saturday when he picks it up and look at the options he has available.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2018, 10:00:27 am »

4 or 5 good comments above - I agree Turnbull did ok against Toney saw him off too! Thought that B&S report was, well different! But agree with him on Aribiyi who was just about our most effective player going forward.
One thing for sure JFH must get Saturday ‘s team spot on. Oxford no walk over!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:10:07 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest48

« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2018, 13:16:09 pm »

IMO:
 Bunny needs more from the player in front of him whoever that is.

So maybe Buchs  hasn't lost it ?  If we play Bunney or Buchs it must be a nightmare to be a full back playing behind Powell, he provides no cover at all.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2018, 13:22:12 pm »

So maybe Buchs  hasn't lost it ?  If we play Bunney or Buchs it must be a nightmare to be a full back playing behind Powell, he provides no cover at all.
Ariyibi played in front of Bunney on Saturday not Powell .
Powell seemed content to shadow his man without actually
quite getting a foot in or doing anything meaningful
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2018, 17:08:06 pm »

Ariyibi played in front of Bunney on Saturday not Powell .
Powell seemed content to shadow his man without actually
quite getting a foot in or doing anything meaningful

Wingers both of them, that's why they are wingers and not defenders.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2018, 17:32:37 pm »

Looking at the highlights of Saturdays game a clear shirt pull by the Sc***horpe No 26 on Taylor can be seen during the scramble to make it 2-2. He had hold of the back of the shirt for a couple of seconds not allowing Taylor to jump. Looks like their 24 also pulls Taylor's arm just before. Ref was well placed to see at the edge of the box.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:22:45 pm by #Frank » Report Spam   Logged
guest3181

« Reply #191 on: February 20, 2018, 12:57:58 pm »

I hope you realise Loosen is a verb? Sounds like you follow urban dictionary?

Hey, well done Cec.  You've learn about "doing" words.  They are great, aren't they?  They usually describe how things can change from one state to another.  (There are some exceptions, such as "remain", "exist" and "stay").

Now, if you are ready for your next lesson, we can take you onto describing words.  These are sometimes called "adjectives".  They are brilliant, because they describe the state that a doing word leaves things in.  So, for instance, with your nuts: if you "loosen" (doing word) them, they become "loose" (describing word).  You notice how the describing word is based on the doing word?  It's fantastic, isn't it?

We could take this stage further, and look at the opposites.  Sometimes, for instance, you can make the opposite doing word by adding an "un" in front.  So for instance, if you were to get your knickers in a twist, you could "untwist" them, to make you feel better.  Sadly, with your nuts, you cannot "unloosen" them.  However, you can use an opposite word (sometimes called an "antonym").  That word, in relation to your nuts, is "tighten".  So, if you ever find your nuts too tight, and want to make them loose (we'll do comparatives another time), then feel free to "loosen" them (and vice versa).

I hope that wasn't too much for you in one go.  If so, I recommend you take your usual afternoon bottle of warm milk and have a little nap.  Then you'll be all bright and cheerful ready for your tea......

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Report Spam   Logged
Patmore

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 20, 2018, 23:24:36 pm »

Having watched the highlights again, I'm not sure Powell covered himself in too much glory for their first. He seemed too protective of his flank despite Moloney being behind him.

I don’t rate Powell but that is retrospective horsesh@t.

Has anyone spotted Grimes during the incident yet?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2018, 00:30:55 am »

Hey, well done Cec.  You've learn about "doing" words.  They are great, aren't they?  They usually describe how things can change from one state to another.  (There are some exceptions, such as "remain", "exist" and "stay").

Now, if you are ready for your next lesson, we can take you onto describing words.  These are sometimes called "adjectives".  They are brilliant, because they describe the state that a doing word leaves things in.  So, for instance, with your nuts: if you "loosen" (doing word) them, they become "loose" (describing word).  You notice how the describing word is based on the doing word?  It's fantastic, isn't it?

We could take this stage further, and look at the opposites.  Sometimes, for instance, you can make the opposite doing word by adding an "un" in front.  So for instance, if you were to get your knickers in a twist, you could "untwist" them, to make you feel better.  Sadly, with your nuts, you cannot "unloosen" them.  However, you can use an opposite word (sometimes called an "antonym").  That word, in relation to your nuts, is "tighten".  So, if you ever find your nuts too tight, and want to make them loose (we'll do comparatives another time), then feel free to "loosen" them (and vice versa).

I hope that wasn't too much for you in one go.  If so, I recommend you take your usual afternoon bottle of warm milk and have a little nap.  Then you'll be all bright and cheerful ready for your tea......

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Learned more there than I did in 11 years of schooling. Cheers
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2018, 08:17:01 am »

I don’t rate Powell but that is retrospective horsesh@t.

How so?

Isn't in common place for the wingers to come inside when the central midfielders are out of position - especially considering he has Moloney covering at right back.

The Chron review of the match stated the same viewpoint as myself, so I'm not a lone commentator thinking Powell should have done more.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: