The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:15:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Brizzle rovers

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brizzle rovers  (Read 9258 times)
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2018, 19:41:32 pm »

It was raining on the walk from my car to the ground but stopped soon afterwards. I like you, I paid the extra two quid but then wasn't asked to show my ticket for the stand. Looked like there was free movement between terrace and stand all afternoon to me. Jeema was sheltering under the stand when I got there only to move back to the terrace for KO.

Late decision to go for me as I only got my on call covered at late notice, so I went on the train with my son. A nice 2 mile walk from Filton Abbey Wood in the rain, paid on the gate and because it was raining we paid for the seats.....the seat turnstiles were not in use, the seat refreshment kiosk was not in use, and the toilets were not in use either. No checks made as I walked from the terrace to the seats, and to the kiosk and back at half time. IT was raining up until about half 2, and yes Jeema was in the seats before wandering off onto the terrace, muttering and mumbling as he went.....sunglasses and umbrella to hand!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2018, 21:09:53 pm »

Jeema was in the seats before wandering off onto the terrace, muttering and mumbling as he went.....sunglasses and umbrella to hand!

I once had a Lowry print entitled 'Man with umbrella' but it was sadly damaged beyond repair during moving house. There was a little resemblance the the legend that is Jeema. No sunglasses though.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2018, 22:21:31 pm »

Keep saying it but viewed from 11,000 miles away, our back line is sitting way too deep? All this backing off to the edge of the 6 yard box is asking for it. Bristol mainly played a higher line first half and ran the show. As soon as they sat deep we got back in the game. I though the modern game was all about compress and press? I know playing a higher line is risky but we are just giving too much space away at the minute? Not sure how Bunney would get on playing that way though? Get 2 up top, and playing a higher line would give the player in possession more forward options? When not in possession it would get more of our players closer to the ball quicker? Seems to possibly solve a few of our more obvious problems anyway? Especially happy to be corrected by those in attendance though?
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2018, 09:16:43 am »

That's because it was not just for that challenge. He'd made 2 or 3 like it inside about 3 mins and tge ref had just warned him literally 20 secs before.

I think this frustrates players and fans alike. If a foul is worth it of a booking then flash the card and be done. This totting up malarkey is bo11ocks.  You can commit two worse fouls then get booked for a third that is nowt.
Report Spam   Logged
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2018, 09:46:11 am »

I'm not quite sure how we managed to get out of this game after being completely battered for the first 60 minutes. But strange things can happen in football and the introduction of Luckasson changed the game for us. We even looked the stronger team after that goal until Crooks was sent off.

Long spurned a couple of chances in the first half and I don't think his finishing is good enough for this level because he doesn't have much else in his game. Compare the way  Harrison and Gaffeney bullied our defence and gave them the run around. So many opposition defenders have had an easy game against us this season and the way Luckasson bullied their 2 centre backs does give cause for optimism.

Bunney at left back isn't working and Buchanan should be recalled although I can't see JFH doing so.

Grimes was wasteful and we really need to get someone who is more consistent from set pieces.

Aside from the football, it was successful weekend on the p155 and i think i counted 19 pubs / establishments were visited over the course of the weekend.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2018, 11:23:35 am »

Long spurned a couple of chances in the first half and I don't think his finishing is good enough for this level because he doesn't have much else in his game. Compare the way  Harrison and Gaffeney bullied our defence and gave them the run around. So many opposition defenders have had an easy game against us this season and the way Luckasson bullied their 2 centre backs does give cause for optimism.

Bunney at left back isn't working.

Grimes was wasteful.

Interesting post Poggy! I agree with you on Long, Bunney and Grimes. Personally would not risk Grimes for Saturday as best not to lose him for 3 games with Crooks out. Our two central defenders appeared to come out of the game well according to the Chron! The BR Forum were generally quite critical of the performance of Harrison and more so of Gafney. Guess that is hindsight criticism! I am pleased that the team rallied well for the last 20 mins and Lucky did well. You must have spent well in excess of £150 for the week end but was the game and point worth it?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2018, 12:36:49 pm »

Aside from the football, it was successful weekend on the p155 and i think i counted 19 pubs / establishments were visited over the course of the weekend.

It couldn't have been that good if you can remember how many you counted...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
rebelspawn

View Profile
Search Eighth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2018, 12:47:20 pm »

Interesting post Poggy! I agree with you on Long, Bunney and Grimes. Personally would not risk Grimes for Saturday as best not to lose him for 3 games with Crooks out. Our two central defenders appeared to come out of the game well according to the Chron! The BR Forum were generally quite critical of the performance of Harrison and more so of Gafney. Guess that is hindsight criticism! I am pleased that the team rallied well for the last 20 mins and Lucky did well. You must have spent well in excess of £150 for the week end but was the game and point worth it?

How would you set up the midfield if you don't want to risk Grimes? JJ and McW in a flat four with Grimes on the bench?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2018, 13:32:46 pm »

How would you set up the midfield if you don't want to risk Grimes? JJ and McW in a flat four with Grimes on the bench?

Don’t really know but would stick JJOT in his place and hope for the best!
Report Spam   Logged

Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2018, 13:59:24 pm »

I actually thought the 2 centre backs did ok but it wasn't an easy afternoon for them.

About right with that figure when you include visits to late night eateries. I probably shouldn't have turned down Karl's offer to buy me a pint in Wellington after the game. And yes, always worth it to have a couple of good nights out with mates particularly as we didn't lose.

Report Spam   Logged
Spinney cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2018, 14:59:44 pm »

Exactly that.The sooner Grimes is dropped or suspended the better.Do not see what he offers the team his set pieces are generally awful,there is surely someone else who can take them.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2018, 15:09:32 pm »

Exactly that.The sooner Grimes is dropped or suspended the better.Do not see what he offers the team his set pieces are generally awful,there is surely someone else who can take them.

Oh well, select him for Rotherham then! Perhaps being too cautious about Grimes being played but the apparent suspension of Crooks is untimely. Would like to see the Club challenge the decision on the second yellow which I thought was harsh. However, GPC said it was merited so that is that!
Report Spam   Logged

Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2018, 15:19:50 pm »

I don’t think you can challenge yellow cards.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
rebelspawn

View Profile
Search Eighth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2018, 15:34:41 pm »

It could work, but i am not sure Luckasson could do 90 minutes at the moment. Who would you play up top? I guess you could play Long, with Ariyibi behind him and then bring Luckasson on later.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2018, 15:34:49 pm »

In the end it was a very decent point and a game that on most occasions we'd have lost given the way it all panned out.

First half…Longs chance aside (from a mistake by their defender), a couple of runs from our on loan winger, and some industrious play from Hoskins aside, we were pretty awful. Once again we lost the midfield battle; JJ was pretty anonymous, Crooks was woeful and Grimes was having another shocker. Like Ive said previously (on Facebook I think), when Grimes plays bad the whole team plays bad because it seems that we have to play everything through him, as well as the point he takes all of our set plays.

In addition, Bunney was being ripped to shreds at left back; our chances of staying in this division would increase significantly if we stopped playing him at left back. The rest of the back 4 and keeper played well, O'Donnell was unlucky with the goal.

My text at half time to a mate read "1-0 ht. we've got a goal I'm us on the break but really struggling defensively. How on earth Bunney keeps getting picked, they are targeting him every single time like all recent opposition has. Grimes been totally sh1t again. Crookes and JJ hit and miss'" On reflection, Id say more miss than hit!!

Anyway, after around the hour mark a significant occurrence happened in the world. Namely a new Bayo was born. 6 foot 1, built like a brick sh1t house, zero expectation on his arrival other than 'he will be terrible' being the main thinking. And like when Bayo came off the bench, we were 1-0 down away from home (Swindon eh?!)

The rest as they say is history. He scores, his hold up play was the best we've seen from a member of our team since….errr Bayo. He drew fouls, took the pressure off of his team mates, collected long balls. What a bloody breath of fresh air! And for the next 20 minutes we looked more likely to score than they did.

Then came Crookes sending off. At the time, I had no complaints, I thought he'd been bloody stupid…again. But having seen the replay, the kid was very very unlucky. Wasn't even a foul, let alone a yellow card. I mean, you have to put in a challenge for a foul to potentially occur, surely! He didn't, the Bristol player just tripped over him. After which, we held on gallantly. And even looked a decent threat on the break, thanks to the Baby Bayo. He was our best defender in that last 20minutes, the ball stayed up top for far longer than it would have done at any time in the last few years given the circumstances.

Finally, Turnbull. My man of the match. I thought he was absolutely brilliant. One of a handful of 9/10 performances; annoyingly there was a sprinkling of 4's and 5's as well. Some real positives, some real negatives.

But overall a good point, and one we all hope to build on against Rotherham. Will Baby Bayo start? Unlikely I guess but based on that 30 minute cameo he can't be far off. He certainly looked fit enough!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2018, 15:34:55 pm »

I don’t think you can challenge yellow cards.

Could they challenge the red card based on the 2nd yellow shown?
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2018, 15:44:01 pm »

Oh well, select him for Rotherham then! Perhaps being too cautious about Grimes being played but the apparent suspension of Crooks is untimely. Would like to see the Club challenge the decision on the second yellow which I thought was harsh. However, GPC said it was merited so that is that!

You can't challenge a caution.
Like GPC said, he was probably cautioned the second time for 'Persistent' offending for which it is subjectively up to the official how many he/she determines as persistent, there is no specific number in Law.
To be honest, I thought that Saturday's official did a good job considering the pitch conditions, unfortunately Crooks gave him a decision to make even if it looks like the contact was originated by their player, so he did (he had warned him a couple of minutes beforehand).
He attempted to ignore Hilda, however he kept on at him so again gave him no choice but to caution him.  I honestly don't know why players do that after they have had their initial whinge, it's a needless caution
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2018, 16:10:34 pm »

He attempted to ignore Hilda, however he kept on at him so again gave him no choice but to caution him.  I honestly don't know why players do that after they have had their initial whinge, it's a needless caution.

Me either, we have picked up quite a few "additional" yellows this season which could have been avoided if players shut their mouths when they are told to by the ref.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2018, 18:17:03 pm »

In the end it was a very decent point and a game that on most occasions we'd have lost given the way it all panned out.

First half…Longs chance aside (from a mistake by their defender), a couple of runs from our on loan winger, and some industrious play from Hoskins aside, we were pretty awful. Once again we lost the midfield battle; JJ was pretty anonymous, Crooks was woeful and Grimes was having another shocker. Like Ive said previously (on Facebook I think), when Grimes plays bad the whole team plays bad because it seems that we have to play everything through him, as well as the point he takes all of our set plays.

In addition, Bunney was being ripped to shreds at left back; our chances of staying in this division would increase significantly if we stopped playing him at left back. The rest of the back 4 and keeper played well, O'Donnell was unlucky with the goal.

My text at half time to a mate read "1-0 ht. we've got a goal I'm us on the break but really struggling defensively. How on earth Bunney keeps getting picked, they are targeting him every single time like all recent opposition has. Grimes been totally sh1t again. Crookes and JJ hit and miss'" On reflection, Id say more miss than hit!!

Anyway, after around the hour mark a significant occurrence happened in the world. Namely a new Bayo was born. 6 foot 1, built like a brick sh1t house, zero expectation on his arrival other than 'he will be terrible' being the main thinking. And like when Bayo came off the bench, we were 1-0 down away from home (Swindon eh?!)

The rest as they say is history. He scores, his hold up play was the best we've seen from a member of our team since….errr Bayo. He drew fouls, took the pressure off of his team mates, collected long balls. What a bloody breath of fresh air! And for the next 20 minutes we looked more likely to score than they did.

Then came Crookes sending off. At the time, I had no complaints, I thought he'd been bloody stupid…again. But having seen the replay, the kid was very very unlucky. Wasn't even a foul, let alone a yellow card. I mean, you have to put in a challenge for a foul to potentially occur, surely! He didn't, the Bristol player just tripped over him. After which, we held on gallantly. And even looked a decent threat on the break, thanks to the Baby Bayo. He was our best defender in that last 20minutes, the ball stayed up top for far longer than it would have done at any time in the last few years given the circumstances.

Finally, Turnbull. My man of the match. I thought he was absolutely brilliant. One of a handful of 9/10 performances; annoyingly there was a sprinkling of 4's and 5's as well. Some real positives, some real negatives.

But overall a good point, and one we all hope to build on against Rotherham. Will Baby Bayo start? Unlikely I guess but based on that 30 minute cameo he can't be far off. He certainly looked fit enough!

Very fair assessment of the game!!

Was it Crooks on Sinclair a few minutes earlier? The Rovers man stayed down for along time whilst play was still going on. Got treatment and gingerly carried on....only to be "taken out" again.

Turnbull was great...that clearance off the line was superb. His copybook was only blotted by taking the ball off O'Donnell who I could clearly hear call for it. The keeper gave him both barrels after that!! He also came over to the away end and shook many fan's hands whilst chatting to someone he obviously knew.

Think Grimes has been off pretty much all season, but since he made it to 9 yellows he's gone so far into his shell he's almost coming out the back of it!! Saturday is the last game he needs to avoid a yellow and subsequent two game ban.

Yes plenty of 4's and 5's.....Bunney is an awful defender and when you get team after team targeting him as our weak link you know something is wrong...but JFH can't see it....or he can but can't swallow his pride enough to drop Bunney in favour of Buchs. Moloney just doesn't do it for me either.....a fit Facey over him every day of the week. And Facey is/was fit or he wouldn't have come on would he?

Hoskins......i'm sorry, I just don't see what he brings to the party....and how he plays ahead of either Foley or Powell I don't know.

God only knows what McWilliams has done wrong.......didn't do anything bad before losing his place and despite being named on the bench every game he never gets on.

Had to laugh, the tunnel and changing room at the Mem were over the opposite side of the bench, so Barnett on needing to make a call of nature was seen heading into the portaloos in the second half!! Slumming it with the rest of us.....not all footballers are pampered!!

But the biggest mystery of all.......and it should surely be featured on Crimewatch, or Saturday Night Takeaway at least.....where is Regan Poole??  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Spinney cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2018, 18:26:44 pm »

It could work, but i am not sure Luckasson could do 90 minutes at the moment. Who would you play up top? I guess you could play Long, with Ariyibi behind him and then bring Luckasson on later.

Long and Luckasson,even if Luckasson is not match fit just having him up there will give defender's something to think about.Many people have commented on other team's defence having a easy ride against us this season the only way he is going to get match fit is to play in games.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 21:21:55 pm by Spinney cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: