The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 13:40:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Rovrum (H) 17th March

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rovrum (H) 17th March  (Read 11356 times)
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #200 on: March 18, 2018, 13:52:58 pm »

For the sake of balance amongst the gloom, I thought Rotherham were one of the best sides I've seen this season and it's no wonder they are in fourth place despite their very recent dip in form. We really could do with a left sided player like their Ryan Williams but we are not likely to be able to pay the sort of money needed to entice players from Championship clubs.

I thought they were pretty decent...they didn't have to do a lot to beat us though!!

One thing that was noticable about them was the way they attacked.....as a unit. The midfield went up in support of the forwards, almost as one. Whereas we trot up, if we can be bothered.

There must have been some weakness in their team....did Jimmy not get to see the "videos" of them getting beaten by Rochdale and the Dongs? What is that they could do that we couldn't?
He obviously saw nothing because we just went with the same old tried, trusted and failing formula.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
TownOwl

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2018, 14:13:29 pm »

Their right back looked very uncomfortable on the ball. I thought there seemed to be a bit of a plan to let him have it and then press hard. This worked once or twice.

The lack of planning appears to be with our own attacking, other than lump to JJOT. Their third goal summed up how to play into the wind perfectly.
Report Spam   Logged

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes
guest47

« Reply #202 on: March 18, 2018, 14:15:40 pm »

I thought they were pretty decent...they didn't have to do a lot to beat us though!!

One thing that was noticable about them was the way they attacked.....as a unit. The midfield went up in support of the forwards, almost as one. Whereas we trot up, if we can be bothered.

There must have been some weakness in their team....did Jimmy not get to see the "videos" of them getting beaten by Rochdale and the Dongs? What is that they could do that we couldn't?
He obviously saw nothing because we just went with the same old tried, trusted and failing formula.

You really do have it in for JFH. Just because they lost their last two games doesn't give us the divine right to beat them and they are one of the best sides in the division. I guess we experienced the same as the opposition for their other 19 wins this season.
I'm not buying into 'can't be bothered', it's a lazy criticism for a team that were beaten by a side better at playing football. I can't see anything wrong with attitude and I reckon they are simply lacking in confidence and don't need any more kicking. Do you think Bunney wanted to screw up those passes just to annoy you? There's a good player in there but it's not going to work for him if he's plagued by lack of confidence. It's the same with Hoskins, he's got a great heart and is a real nuisance to the opposition. He might not technically be the greatest player but I rate him alongside the revered Buchs for commitment.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #203 on: March 18, 2018, 14:20:33 pm »

I'm no manager but even I saw the comments from their manager after the defeat at MK. He said that MK's TWO forwards caused them plenty of problems and played really well against them. So, how does Jimmy set his team up....with one up front. Rotherham's defence looked the weak link and needed pressure putting on them. The couple of times first half that Powell did get at them they looked worried.

Jimmy's remark about JJOT not being a midfielder is very odd, but I wonder if he means at the moment he doesn't see him playing in that position because his fitness isn't what it could be.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3181

« Reply #204 on: March 18, 2018, 14:48:28 pm »

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham-united/rotherham-united-player-ratings-as-the-millers-take-northampton-apart-1-9069678
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #205 on: March 18, 2018, 15:22:41 pm »

You really do have it in for JFH. Just because they lost their last two games doesn't give us the divine right to beat them and they are one of the best sides in the division. I guess we experienced the same as the opposition for their other 19 wins this season.
I'm not buying into 'can't be bothered', it's a lazy criticism for a team that were beaten by a side better at playing football. I can't see anything wrong with attitude and I reckon they are simply lacking in confidence and don't need any more kicking. Do you think Bunney wanted to screw up those passes just to annoy you? There's a good player in there but it's not going to work for him if he's plagued by lack of confidence. It's the same with Hoskins, he's got a great heart and is a real nuisance to the opposition. He might not technically be the greatest player but I rate him alongside the revered Buchs for commitment.

Sensible post Alton and you are right on your opinion ref GPC v JFH. I am surprised GPC recently by your near abusive comments on others opinion. IMO you were one of the more balanced commentators on here and it is pity to see you sink to the level of (a few) others on here
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 17:10:46 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2018, 15:30:06 pm »

Let's get this straight alton they were okay, certainly not great! We made them look great through our incompetence.

The very fact 2 reams below us have beaten them in a week tells you actually tgey are not that great and with them both winning we needed to beat them yesterday. We were set up so negativly so much so that was never going to happen.
Report Spam   Logged
MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2018, 15:34:43 pm »

Wow talk about lazy comments.  If it was as simple as just being beaten by a better football side there would be nothing to worry about.  Rotherham won't have had many easier wins this season.  They had another couple of gears to go through and we had stalled with the handbrake still on!

Don't get me wrong they looked decent but when you have so much time and space anyone would.  Rochdale, Gillingham even Oxford second half end up looking like Barcelona playing against us and that's no coincidence.

The reasons for this are many but loads of them fall at the managers door.  No pressing at all yesterday all over the pitch.  Sloppy marking.  Two centre minds sitting so deep they were almost alongside the centre backs.  At one stage the four if them were covering 1 central striker whilst the Rotherham central midfield had the freedom of the park.  Right and left mid Playing slightly more advanced but only just with their main task to defend.  Full backs that didn't overlap more than once or twice all game.  One of which can't defend a simple long punt from a free kick.....and that's not the first time.

An attacking mid in OToole who is so far separated from his midfield teammates he plays on scraps and long balls and a striker who even further forward has to do the same.  Any attacking midfielder picking the ball up has to run from so deep they gave to beat 3/4 players just to get near the opponents box.  Look at the Rotherham fouls on Powell and Perreira and think how far they ran and how far they still had to go.

Now that's just some of it....I've got plenty more and most if not all of that has been evident in nearly every game this season.  And that's not a managers or players fault?  Don't even get me started on the sheer lack of movement from most when they don't have the ball.

As for attitude you are right confidence plays a part but surely part of a managers job is to instil that belief and confidence.  Give them roles and a system they can believe in.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 18, 2018, 15:43:14 pm »

Let's get this straight alton they were okay, certainly not great! We made them look great through our incompetence.

The very fact 2 reams below us have beaten them in a week tells you actually tgey are not that great and with them both winning we needed to beat them yesterday. We were set up so negativly so much so that was never going to happen.

They were clearly better than us from the off! Perhaps the set up contributed to an overall poor performance. I am not sure that even JFH asked the team to play so deep in the 20 mins.
Report Spam   Logged

guest2235

« Reply #209 on: March 18, 2018, 15:51:01 pm »

Wow talk about lazy comments.  If it was as simple as just being beaten by a better football side there would be nothing to worry about.  Rotherham won't have had many easier wins this season.  They had another couple of gears to go through and we had stalled with the handbrake still on!

Don't get me wrong they looked decent but when you have so much time and space anyone would.  Rochdale, Gillingham even Oxford second half end up looking like Barcelona playing against us and that's no coincidence.

The reasons for this are many but loads of them fall at the managers door.  No pressing at all yesterday all over the pitch.  Sloppy marking.  Two centre minds sitting so deep they were almost alongside the centre backs.  At one stage the four if them were covering 1 central striker whilst the Rotherham central midfield had the freedom of the park.  Right and left mid Playing slightly more advanced but only just with their main task to defend.  Full backs that didn't overlap more than once or twice all game.  One of which can't defend a simple long punt from a free kick.....and that's not the first time.

An attacking mid in OToole who is so far separated from his midfield teammates he plays on scraps and long balls and a striker who even further forward has to do the same.  Any attacking midfielder picking the ball up has to run from so deep they gave to beat 3/4 players just to get near the opponents box.  Look at the Rotherham fouls on Powell and Perreira and think how far they ran and how far they still had to go.

Now that's just some of it....I've got plenty more and most if not all of that has been evident in nearly every game this season.  And that's not a managers or players fault?  Don't even get me started on the sheer lack of movement from most when they don't have the ball.

As for attitude you are right confidence plays a part but surely part of a managers job is to instil that belief and confidence.  Give them roles and a system they can believe in.

Great post 100% right
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 18, 2018, 16:01:18 pm »

Probably have seen a worse home performance over the last 50 odd years......

Accrington, Bristol Rovers, a few Non-League sides, Oldham, York, Barnet to name a few! Gillingham last year was as bad.

Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 18, 2018, 16:02:59 pm »

Agree about not having a divine right to win (think it's called in medical terms - or should be, the Oxford Syndrome  Grin) but GPC has more than a valid point. Never mind videos, JFH could have travelled the 20 mins to MK ffs! Losing is one thing...rolling over without so much as a whimper is unforgivable!

As for Bunney. Not doing it deliberately (playing s***e that is) isn't the point. He shouldn't have been selected full stop! Good player in there somewhere my backside...no wonder Dale fans were laughing on their forum. Would struggle to get into Whitehawk's team - seriously!
While all this goes on, despite his tinkering and excuses, JFH stubbornly refuses to bury the hatchet with Buchanan and give him the spot!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 18, 2018, 16:08:01 pm »

Accrington, Bristol Rovers, a few Non-League sides, Oldham, York, Barnet to name a few! Gillingham last year was as bad.

And how many of those games were you critical of the Cobblers' performance? None!
You continued with your blind, confrontational mantra then as you do now!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2018, 16:13:49 pm »

And how many of those games were you critical of the Cobblers' performance? None!
You continued with your blind, confrontational mantra then as you do now!

If they play badly I will say so; again I was bitterly disappointed with the performance yesterday. Don't lecture me on being confrontational when you are hardly meek minded on here. In all those games I voiced a critical opinion of the performance mind you some of them going back a few years, particularly the NL matches!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 16:20:05 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2018, 16:35:25 pm »

I am not sure that even JFH asked the team to play so deep in the 20 mins.

JFH keeps insisting he wants a high tempo, but we look lethargic at home, so his players are either not listening to him or not capable of following his instructions. Either way that is a reflection of his ability as a manager. He either has to get them to listen or keep things simple enough for players to follow instructions (have a clear system with players who know and are suited to their roles). That's part of his job.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2018, 16:38:38 pm »

If they play badly I will say so; again I was bitterly disappointed with the performance yesterday. Don't lecture me on being confrontational when you are hardly meek minded on here. In all those games I voiced a critical opinion of the performance mind you some of them going back a few years, particularly the NL matches!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Report Spam   Logged
guest3181

« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2018, 16:50:26 pm »

They were clearly better than us from the off! Perhaps the set up contributed to an overall poor performance. I am not sure that even JFH asked the team to play so deep in the 20 mins.

If the players were not playing to plan in the first 20 mins, were our Management Team screaming at our players to get tighter on the Rotherham midfield?  Was the Manager waving his arms frantically trying to get our players further forward?  Did he use that special signal for someone to go down feigning injury, so that the trainer could come on with instructions for them to not sit so deep (anyone remember those days under Sammo when discrete bits of paper were passed onto the pitch with latest instructions?)?  How did the Management Team try to get the players to revert to plan, if they were ignoring their pre-match instructions?

I despair........
Report Spam   Logged
Patmore

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 18, 2018, 17:58:28 pm »

Midfield sitting far too deep, leaving THE forward totally isolated, no pressure on the ball, even in our own third the opposition are allowed to take a touch and pick their heads up before playing a pass, cross after cross allowed to come into the box with no urgent attempt to stop these or even make it difficult for them, no screen in front of Smith allowing one simple pass into him to take our “midfield” out of the game. Total lack of any confidence on the ball and fluency in possession and not a single clear cut chance created in the whole game.

There was a lot more wrong than individual errors or Rotherham being a good side. And yesterday is hardly a one off.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #218 on: March 18, 2018, 18:12:53 pm »

Can someone please explain to me why Bunney was picking Michael Smith up from that free kick they scored from?

I know Bunney didn't have the best of games but why have your weakest defender in the air up against the oppositions strongest. Surely, one of the centre halves in this case Turnbull needs to say I'll pick him up. I called it before it happened, just couldn't believe what was happening. Very bad organization, players need to manage games on the pitch.
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #219 on: March 18, 2018, 18:43:17 pm »

Can someone please explain to me why Bunney was picking Michael Smith up from that free kick they scored from?

I know Bunney didn't have the best of games but why have your weakest defender in the air up against the oppositions strongest. Surely, one of the centre halves in this case Turnbull needs to say I'll pick him up. I called it before it happened, just couldn't believe what was happening. Very bad organization, players need to manage games on the pitch.

I'd say he was Turbull's man but he's not tracked him and Bunney's been scapegoated for the goal.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: