The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 13:31:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Idiots on this Board

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Idiots on this Board  (Read 5801 times)
singcobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2018, 06:56:30 am »

Do they?
The IP addresses shown against each poster don't change on here...

This is because most, if not all ISPs in the UK assign a static IP address to a customer, the only time the IP will change for each log in is if the ISP has a limited range of IP addresses and uses dynamic IP addressing to handle the need to recycle them to maintain the QOS. Though this is becoming more the exception than the norm these days.
Report Spam   Logged
paul thompson is

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2018, 07:25:08 am »

However I'm totally depressed with the current situation and actually have a great deal of sympathy for the original poster but in my opinion this must go, and go now - comments are based on facts & observations as a computer user fan for 140 years (but unfortunately not next season if Putin is in charge).

Why in my opinion this topic should be closed/locked

as usual it starts off as a valid point/comment and then turns into off subject posts by the same old 10 or so posters
Report Spam   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

There is always a case to rest
guest1269

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2018, 08:41:45 am »

This is because most, if not all ISPs in the UK assign a static IP address to a customer, the only time the IP will change for each log in is if the ISP has a limited range of IP addresses and uses dynamic IP addressing to handle the need to recycle them to maintain the QOS. Though this is becoming more the exception than the norm these days.

Not an argument (and it may be because I don't live in the UK) but I thought it was the opposite with most IP assigning dynamic IP addresses - even switching on and off modems can effect an IP address change.

Also, Evers is certainly right your IP address does not travel with you so if you log in from a different location your IP address will definitely be different - again though as I said before, public domain traceability on any IP address is very limited & certainly not down to the individual so assuming many posters here do work, live and travel to different locations I'm curious (technically) why the mods think addresses remain constant for members.

All somewhat off topic but at least the dialog is sensible......... 
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2018, 09:48:22 am »

Also, Evers is certainly right your IP address does not travel with you so if you log in from a different location your IP address will definitely be different - again though as I said before, public domain traceability on any IP address is very limited & certainly not down to the individual so assuming many posters here do work, live and travel to different locations I'm curious (technically) why the mods think addresses remain constant for members.

I agree, the IP address from where you are posting does show, it does change depending on location and the IP being used.  However the IP addresses shown are, as far as we can see, not being used by more than one member apart from those members that have changed their logon identity (e.g. #Frank)
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2018, 10:28:07 am »

A once great forum.Player of the season awards, I think we sponsored a player once, Hotel end away trips, we even had some hotel end polo shirts made, although they probably wouldn't fit over the heads of many of todays posters
Report Spam   Logged
stevecobb

View Profile
Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2018, 10:32:06 am »

Do you remember the Talking Cobblers  tee shirts Ian ?
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2018, 10:41:30 am »

A once great forum.Player of the season awards, I think we sponsored a player once, Hotel end away trips, we even had some hotel end polo shirts made, although they probably wouldn't fit over the heads of many of todays posters

Where was that pub at the @rse end of nowhere on the Yorkshire moors on the trip to Darlo - fantastic day!
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2018, 10:47:33 am »

Where was that pub at the @rse end of nowhere on the Yorkshire moors on the trip to Darlo - fantastic day!

Tan Hill or summat with the lamb kipping by the fire  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2018, 10:49:05 am »

I agree, the IP address from where you are posting does show, it does change depending on location and the IP being used.  However the IP addresses shown are, as far as we can see, not being used by more than one member apart from those members that have changed their logon identity (e.g. #Frank)

Thanks - I've never really understood the multiple logon persona - simplistically you would think its to agree and endorse  what they say but knowing some of the characters on here they probably use it to have an argument with themselves  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2018, 10:50:06 am »

Tan Hill or summat with the lamb kipping by the fire  Wink

That's the one - so welcoming there were thoughts of not bothering with the game!
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2018, 10:51:15 am »

That's the one - so welcoming there were thoughts of not bothering with the game!

Darlington want it, cant remember the score
Report Spam   Logged
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2018, 14:14:15 pm »

As for big heads you either love or hate them!

It's a cracker, You know what I mean arry. Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.
Report Spam   Logged
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2018, 14:18:13 pm »

Note changed not ever multi  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2018, 15:59:40 pm »

Not an argument (and it may be because I don't live in the UK) but I thought it was the opposite with most IP assigning dynamic IP addresses - even switching on and off modems can effect an IP address change.

The shift from dynamic to static IP Addresses became the norm when IPv6 came along and government bodies started putting pressure on the ISPs to move over to static addresses(before IPv6 there simply were not enough addresses to use statics) to make snooping a bit easier and in the countries I have worked in help mainly with the tracking of those trying to access banned websites/content.
In China it was quite funny as if someone in the office tried to access forbidden sites the local party police would turn up and give us the MAC address of the machine used and ask us to point them in the right direction. If it was a local they would be carted off(politely invited) to go for a chat, if it was a foreigner they would let it go providing the content was not seditious.

Report Spam   Logged
Lukey

View Profile
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2018, 16:41:51 pm »

I've been a regular reader on here and like the opening poster says lately it seems to have become a bit school-like, the other day there were about 5 threads started by the same poster and they could have all been under a single thread as the topics were very much the same.

Sometimes I see the same 2 posters constantly arguing with each-other and wonder why they don't take it to a PM as they basically back up their arguments by repeating the same point over and over and over.

The majority on here seem decent, if they disagree they seem to respect the others opinion, but when your reading a 4 page thread and 2 posters having an argument repeating the same point would have filled 2 of its pages, it becomes a bit boring.

Obviously using the block button would work, but only if you have an account and log in to read, but on the other hand sometimes one of the so called annoying posters may actually post something worth reading. So it's a no-win situation.

Peace.
Report Spam   Logged

Prejudice cannot be hidden,
Arrogance for the color of skin.
Its ugly head is here again
Racism is lurking within.

"Cynthia BuhainBaello"
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2018, 16:57:36 pm »

Thanks - I've never really understood the multiple logon persona - simplistically you would think its to agree and endorse  what they say but knowing some of the characters on here they probably use it to have an argument with themselves  Grin

Or to have at least one person that agrees with them?  Grin
I've thought that a few times...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
andycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2018, 17:50:44 pm »

The shift from dynamic to static IP Addresses became the norm when IPv6 came along and government bodies started putting pressure on the ISPs to move over to static addresses(before IPv6 there simply were not enough addresses to use statics) to make snooping a bit easier and in the countries I have worked in help mainly with the tracking of those trying to access banned websites/content.
In China it was quite funny as if someone in the office tried to access forbidden sites the local party police would turn up and give us the MAC address of the machine used and ask us to point them in the right direction. If it was a local they would be carted off(politely invited) to go for a chat, if it was a foreigner they would let it go providing the content was not seditious.

Huh?  Cry No idea what you've typed above, might as well be chinese. The computer age has come too late for some  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
guest2487

« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2018, 18:32:39 pm »

It's a cracker, You know what I mean arry. Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.

Alright mate, leave off.
Report Spam   Logged
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2018, 18:51:20 pm »

Alright mate, leave off.

Ok no problem  Grin

We could do with you prowess at throw ins at the moment that's for sure.
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2018, 20:04:02 pm »

Surely can't we agree that if a poster requires 2 IP addresses. He is banned sine die.

We have to to Take the moral  stance as per the Australian Cricket board. No exceptions.
Is it that easy?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: