The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 10:16:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Worst season

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst season  (Read 2040 times)
guest48

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 11:16:40 am »

5USport were funding them.
Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2018, 11:17:16 am »

This recent batch of games (Shrewsbury aside) is without a doubt, the most depressing 6-8 weeks of football I've witnessed in 30 years.

I was saying to my mate on the way home yesterday, a 3 or 4 goal home defeat is often a once every 2 or 3 season event. Across the board that is. For us its almost a weekly event now!

This season we've been thrashed at home 5 times (3 goals or more).

We've also seen games (Gillingham and Rochdale in particular) where it should have been 3 or more goal wins for the visitors, only great saves and luck kept the scores down.

We've also been thrashed 3 times away from home.

So from 40 games, 8 times we've literally been thrashed.

For that to happen, you'd think we'd be sitting on 20, not 40 points. Its incredible that we 'still have a chance'.

The team gives up..I've never seen a Cobblers team give up on such a regular occurrence as this season. We've seen some tremendous displays (mainly away from home) - which again points to the fact that they have the ability, but sadly lack desire, passion and are shy of hard work.

I won't accept that they were trying yesterday. And it wasn't the first time, far from it. I saw players (VV in particular) just going through the motions. That is totally unacceptable. Like most, Ive become extremely apathetic about it now. I sat down at kick off yesterday awaiting the inevitable, and it duly arrived.

If a single moment yesterday could sum up our entire season, it was when that lazy Dutch striker had the ball just inside the box and back heeled it straight to a Charlton player. It was as if he couldn't be bothered. Told us everything!
Report Spam   Logged
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2018, 13:26:26 pm »

Having said that why do we not have ball boys behind the goals ?

We do. Plenty of them on the East and West but nowhere to be seen North and South.
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 14:32:19 pm »

It’s the lack of fight and spirit from what is a more talented bunch of players than those days that makes it totally pathetic.

They're really not a talented bunch of players.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 14:43:27 pm »

I can't recall a season I've enjoyed less in my 20 years as a season ticket holder. It's been compounded by the fact that this just happens to be the season that I've decided to knock away games on the head and pretty much all our good performances have come away from home!

Seriously though, we've had some shocking seasons, but they have been a case of struggling with finances or the players just simply not being good enough. Either way, they've always shown some fight and I've been happy to dig in with them and roar them on. We're the Cobblers; the odds are nearly always against us, that's part of the fun! Sometimes we've beaten those odds, sometimes we haven't but we've always had a bloody good go.

What makes this season so bad for me is that we have had more money to spend than I can ever recall us having and, for me, there are very few players that I would individually rate as poor. On the contrary, I still think a lot of our players are very good individuals, they just aren't a good team. The whole is very much less than the sum of its parts. And that's what makes it all so frustrating for me, despite holding all the right cards we've managed to blow it big time. The key word there being "managed"... I put the blame for this sorry mess of a season squarely on the shoulders of our last three so called managers - Page started the rot, Edinburgh made it worse and JFH then inherited a right mess that, sadly, he appears to have no idea what to do about.

We're finished in League 1 for the time being and in doing so, we've undone everything that Wilder did for us in that wonderful season, so the rancid icing on top of the whole, flat, overbaked and entirely unappetising cake that is this season is that not only has it been miserable throughout, it has managed to sour the memory of the best season I've ever experienced.

So yeah, I'd say this is definitely the worst season we've had in my time watching the Cobblers.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest47

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 16:23:13 pm »

We're finished in League 1 for the time being and in doing so, we've undone everything that Wilder did for us in that wonderful season

I reckon Wilder knew what happened that season, it was a fluke for all concerned, including him, so he cashed in his chips and good for him.
Report Spam   Logged
paul thompson is

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 17:34:22 pm »

I know we are not gone yet but this must rank as one of the worst seasons in my 45+ watching , even when struggling at the foot of league 2 or division 4, we pretty much put up a fight. this season , nothing, What is it at home 5 wins , that has to be up there with the worst as does 15 goals. shocking

Very negative post,
keep the faith, in JFH we trust
Report Spam   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

There is always a case to rest
guest2487

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 17:37:48 pm »

The worst I can remember tbf.

Even when we almost went down from L2 a few years ago, the spirit and fight was there. This is just tootling along to the inevitable.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 17:45:39 pm »

Very negative post,
keep the faith, in JFH we trust

Sh1tposting on an internet forum for a third-tier football club is an odd way to spend your free time.
Report Spam   Logged
paul thompson is

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 18:47:21 pm »

Sh1tposting on an internet forum for a third-tier football club is an odd way to spend your free time.

I agree so why do you do it
Report Spam   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

There is always a case to rest
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 19:00:43 pm »

Ability wise they are no where near the worst but for effort and passion they are at the bottom of the barrel.
I think yesterday when Mr Grimes let the ball run out for a goal kick then just turned around and jogged off leaving the ball to be retrieved by ROD we were losing 0-2 at the time sums up the attitude and passion.

This sort thing has been a hallmark of Jimmy’s time in charge, the malaise has come from the top. A couple of examples of what I mean;

Bringing everyone back for set pieces when losing by a single goal with not much time left.

Against Shrewsbury drawing with not long left and in desperate need of a win and Jimmy is sending players about to be subbed over to the far side, subs strolling off, wasting time.

If you constantly send the team out to play cautiously every game, even against the bottom team in the league at home, for fear of losing eventually the message will seep into to the players mind - you’re not good enough, you’ll be lucky to get anything from this game.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 19:13:47 pm »

Agreed, the Shrews game was annoying as we played for the draw for the last 20 mins. Hilberto when about to be subbed was told to head over towards the east stand just before they held the board up, and then he faked surprise when his number was shown!
No urgency in any game. Nobody takes a quick free kick or even a throw. It always seems to be that they have to wait for the nominated taker to arrive at the scene.
No free kick routines, no variation from goal kicks, even the kickoffs are all the same, pass back bang it downfield out of play.
It always seems very sterile.....god knows what they do in training all week.

Jimmy was most disappointed yesterday as apparently we had put in lots of effort and preparation for the game yesterday......yeah that really showed didn’t it??
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 19:33:06 pm by GrangeParkCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Teyn and proud

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 20:40:09 pm »

I remember the year we went to Shrewsbury needing to win they themselves pushing play offs 2-0 down we pull it around with belief, team spirit, commitment, and no shortage of b———s o how we could have done with some of that this season could anybody tell me of that team how many of them was loan players just a thought
Report Spam   Logged
spqr

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2018, 20:49:41 pm »

1- Richardson, 2 - Parsons, 3- Colkin, 4- Harmon, 5 - Angus, 6- Terry, 7- Beavon, 8- Wilkin, 9- Aldridge, 10- Chard, 11- Bell and 12 Gavin who replaced Aldridge.

I do not believe that there were any players on loan.
Report Spam   Logged
Teyn and proud

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2018, 21:22:00 pm »

According to that there was five players be it local lads or players that came through the academy that played that day that tells you all you need to know players that had more than a parting interest in the club thanks for that
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2018, 21:53:19 pm »

According to that there was five players be it local lads or players that came through the academy that played that day that tells you all you need to know players that had more than a parting interest in the club thanks for that

Before you get too dewy-eyed, lets not forget where we were before that game.
Report Spam   Logged
Teyn and proud

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2018, 23:13:00 pm »

I think it’s called effort something this team sadly lacks would you not agree or are you watching a different team to me
Report Spam   Logged
andycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2018, 07:43:35 am »

Until this season I'd only left a game early twice (in 30+ years}. This season I've left early half a dozen times because I've been p1ssed off with watching clueless players trying to play clueless tactics for a clueless manager. So my vote for worst ever season is this one and as others have stated I can't wait for the fat lady to start singing and plan for away days in league 2. Hopefully with a new man at the helm.
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
Teyn and proud

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2018, 09:37:06 am »

Andcobbler you stole my thunder I feel exactly the same Bristol rovers,scum,Rotherham,Charlton,and let’s not forget Bradford city play off game prior to that I can honestly say I’ve never done it in the past that how bad this season has been get this numpty out of our club and his entourage good post andy
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2018, 10:37:18 am »

This sort thing has been a hallmark of Jimmy’s time in charge, the malaise has come from the top. A couple of examples of what I mean;

Bringing everyone back for set pieces when losing by a single goal with not much time left.

Against Shrewsbury drawing with not long left and in desperate need of a win and Jimmy is sending players about to be subbed over to the far side, subs strolling off, wasting time.

If you constantly send the team out to play cautiously every game, even against the bottom team in the league at home, for fear of losing eventually the message will seep into to the players mind - you’re not good enough, you’ll be lucky to get anything from this game.

Spot on. The negative mindset and passive approach also allows the other team to gain confidence and play better than they otherwise would. A number of average sides on poor runs of form have looked like worldbeaters at Sixfields recently, because we let them play.

We don't get in their faces or even complain of other teams' timewasting when 2 or 3 goals down. Chris Long is still going and standing in front of the ball to stop the opposition taking quick free kicks when we need the ball back in play asap.

The whole mindset needs to change immediately if we're going to have any chance of staying up - and of course it will help if JFH doesn't change tactics every 5 minutes or say it's "normal" for heads to go down after the first goal, when that should galvanise more, not less effort.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: