The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 11:55:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

What sort of club do you want?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What sort of club do you want?  (Read 2624 times)
meccanostand

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: April 02, 2018, 17:35:55 pm »

The calls for JFH's head will be loud and probably rightly so but will sacking yet another manager solve the problems at the club?

Or do they the problems go wider and deeper? Are the Cobblers the epitome of football in Northampton/Northants? What sort of club do we all want and what is the 'identity' of the Cobblers?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 17:37:37 pm »

An honest hardworking community spirited one. This above being in the championship for me please.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 17:43:33 pm »

The majority of fans only really care about what happens on the pitch. I’m not really fussed what division we are in, realistically there will always be ups and downs all I really want is that they strive to be an entertaining and attacking side in the majority of games. It’s not all about winning for me, i started to miss games under Calderwood as it just felt too sterile, too safety first, despite the relative success.

Of course community links are great and the club should be prominent locally, which in fairness seems to have improved over the past couple of years. If we are subjected to turgid rubbish on the pitch then none of that ever seems to matter.
Report Spam   Logged
Snow Dive Larry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 17:44:43 pm »

One that is transparent and employs players that can connect with the fans again.

A club that is accessible to everyone, that has a sense of occasion every time they play at home with the community coming together. It doesn't necessarily have to be all about being in the Championship in five years etc but about how you feel when you walk into that stadium and the sense of excitement you feel when going away from home.

A club that has a playing style that excites fans but also makes opposition teams lose games before they even arrive at the ground.

A club that has a clear plan for developing young players and a progression plan for their integration to the first team and for the first eleven's playing style to filter through down the youth teams and even women's team.

There's more that I'll probably think of later.

Report Spam   Logged

MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 17:49:32 pm »

An honest hardworking community spirited one. This above being in the championship for me please.

This and...

Having a long term plan that's ambitious, challenging but realistic both on and off the pitch. A plan that everyone knows about and is aiming towards with no judgement if it needs to change alongside changing circumstances.

A team on the pitch that works hard, tries to play football on the floor in an attacking style.  Employ players that are ambitious, injury free, with the right blend of youth and experience.

Have a realistic playing budget and sticking to it.  No silly contracts and trying to shortcut success.

Finally a club that is open and honest.  If something goes wrong or isn't working, tell us.

Oh and no more faceless foreign investment!

Accepting our limitations and getting the most from
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 17:53:47 pm »

No idea but one that you really care about. Clearly not speaking for the diehards but I want a club who makes you believe ‘Northampton Town I’m proud to be.’
To be fair to KT he is about as accessible as he can be but it just isn’t happening on/off the pitch.
Report Spam   Logged
Rach

View Profile
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 17:54:05 pm »

Winning mentality that is based on hard work, determination and team ethic.
Nice flowing football in a great 4 sided stadium with corporate facilities and an excellent atmosphere.
Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 17:56:03 pm »

One that is transparent and employs players that can connect with the fans again.

A club that is accessible to everyone, that has a sense of occasion every time they play at home with the community coming together. It doesn't necessarily have to be all about being in the Championship in five years etc but about how you feel when you walk into that stadium and the sense of excitement you feel when going away from home.

A club that has a playing style that excites fans but also makes opposition teams lose games before they even arrive at the ground.

A club that has a clear plan for developing young players and a progression plan for their integration to the first team and for the first eleven's playing style to filter through down the youth teams and even women's team.

There's more that I'll probably think of later.

We are suffering from modern football syndrome to an extent and the move to Sixfields hasn't helped that. There's far more to a club than providing a venue to host matches. It seems like we have Northampton Town football club but is it the football club of the whole town? Not so sure.

Kelvin has done his best to drag the club into the 21st Century and he has created the framework to be taken forward but again what outside investors are realistically going to do that in a sustainable way?

Perhaps this conversation should have happened at the time of the Cardoza crisis but it all moved so fast and everyone was just glad of a team to support.

I've spoken to Andy Holt, chairman of Accrington and the attention to detail in bringing the community together there is outstanding (they are likely to leapfrog us into League 1 with a tiny % of the budget.

We have moved so far away from the principles of the 1st ever Supporters' Trust of Brian Lomax (RIP) and co. I don't believe that is good for the soul of the club on a basic level.

I also don't believe the club, probably in its whole history give or take a few years has lived up to being the sum total of football in Northants. There is a decent club there to build on, we can do a lot lot better than this.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 17:59:37 pm by meccanostand » Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 17:56:47 pm »

I know all lower league clubs have to use the loan route but I would like us to reevaluate how we approach it - the last few seasons have been ridiculous with 6/7 loanees here at the same time. I’m trying to have a think of how many decent loans we have had in the last 2 seasons and am struggling. I think it’s fair to say that Melville probably needs to be replaced as the recruitment has been pretty shambolic.
Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 18:41:35 pm »

Wonder if Sixfields has served its purpose? Is it too easy for players to drive in and out on match days without engaging with the town properly? Should we be looking at a new build back towards the town centre instead of flogging a dead horse and the hassle that has come from the land behind?

Could there be more work done between the three sports clubs in the town?
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 18:44:45 pm »

No to your first question, in my opinion. No one thought the players weren’t engaged with the town when we were winning.

Second question, absolutely yes!
Report Spam   Logged
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 18:50:40 pm »

Great topic meccanostand. Promotes thinking more deeply about out our club. Some good answers also, even mine  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 18:53:09 pm »

Cobblers in Premier League before I die. I'm 86 now so I think I'm doomed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 18:54:52 pm by Dr Feelgood » Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 18:57:14 pm »

Cobblers in Premier League before I die. I'm 86 now so I think I'm doomed.

You can buy football computer/console games for realising this dream I understand. Chin up.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 18:58:14 pm »

No to your first question, in my opinion. No one thought the players weren’t engaged with the town when we were winning.

Second question, absolutely yes!

That's a tired old line about people being happy when we're winning. We are never going to be winning every week, there'll be times when the form goes up and down so it needs dare I say it a 'plan' to bind things together.

I don't think finishing the East Stand is going to change much. As I said, there is a debate to be had whether Sixfields has served its purpose in being an emergency stadium when we were in the mire in the 1990's.

If for instance a mystery benefactor was to come in and sort us a stadium like Rotherham's in Northampton Town centre, with our own training ground and sporting club arrangement with the Saints and Steelbacks, a decent academy with an established playing style throughout the ranks would we be in a better position than we are now? I'd say yes and we don't even necessarily need one single benefactor to achieve it.

Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 19:05:01 pm »

That's a tired old line about people being happy when we're winning. We are never going to be winning every week, there'll be times when the form goes up and down so it needs dare I say it a 'plan' to bind things together.

I don't think finishing the East Stand is going to change much. As I said, there is a debate to be had whether Sixfields has served its purpose in being an emergency stadium when we were in the mire in the 1990's.

If for instance a mystery benefactor was to come in and sort us a stadium like Rotherham's in Northampton Town centre, with our own training ground and sporting club arrangement with the Saints and Steelbacks, a decent academy with an established playing style throughout the ranks would we be in a better position than we are now? I'd say yes and we don't even necessarily need one single benefactor to achieve it.

It’s not really a tired old line, it’s just true. Yes we won’t win every week but if we’d been safely ensconced in mid table this season with a relatively entertaining side a lot of the hand wringing wouldn’t have happened.

If a benefactor came in and did all the things you mentioned but fully renovated Sixfields instead of building a new ground we’d be in a better position. Having a ground in the town centre is no panacea.
Report Spam   Logged
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 19:06:10 pm »

Greyfriars Stadium. At least we could have someone ghosting in at the back post occasionally.
Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 19:19:49 pm »

I think Sixfields location is perfect for development  !!!  

If you want to grow you need space. The whole area from Sixfields to Franklins Garden should be developed with sporting excellence in mind, with international standard training and sporting facilities that can benefit everyone, NTFC and The Saints and us. There is no housing so floodlights won't affect anyone.

We need a Chairman like Burton's, Accrington's, Oxford's and Huddersfield's. Ie someone who loves the club first and foremost, and builds the club with an identity (just like Sammo was saying), employs staff with NTFC DNA.

There is no way I am Northampton Town Proud to Be with KT as our Chairman, Tone sorry but it is total crap that he should have credit for being approachable, he says and does nothing, he is just as much to blame as anyone for the mess we are in.

That remember is a Chairman who stated that we don't need or want to grow, yet the saddest thing is that fans agree with him !!!!!

Huddersfield have a population similar to ours yet have 28,000 seater stadium, we have 8 and many think it is enough.

The Trust and most fans don't care what sort of club we are as long as they can watch something on a Saturday.
It is true the division you in is not that important when you are winning as the part-timers only want to see winning football but it sure makes a difference when you are losing.
Report Spam   Logged
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 19:22:30 pm »

I think Sixfields location is perfect for development  !!!  

If you want to grow you need space. The whole area from Sixfields to Franklins Garden should be developed with sporting excellence in mind, with international standard training and sporting facilities that can benefit everyone, NTFC and The Saints and us. There is no housing so floodlights won't affect anyone.

We need a Chairman like Burton's, Accrington's, Oxford's and Huddersfield's. Ie someone who loves the club first and foremost, and builds the club with an identity (just like Sammo was saying), employs staff with NTFC DNA.

There is no way I am Northampton Town Proud to Be with KT as our Chairman, Tone sorry but it is total crap that he should have credit for being approachable, he says and does nothing, he is just as much to blame as anyone for the mess we are in.

That remember is a Chairman who stated that we don't need or want to grow, yet the saddest thing is that fans agree with him !!!!!

Huddersfield have a population similar to ours yet have 28,000 seater stadium, we have 8 and many think it is enough.

The Trust and most fans don't care what sort of club we are as long as they can watch something on a Saturday.
It is true the division you in is not that important when you are winning as the part-timers only want to see winning football but it sure makes a difference when you are losing.

Can we keep the puddle please?  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Snow Dive Larry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 19:34:47 pm »

Greyfriars Stadium. At least we could have someone ghosting in at the back post occasionally.

That'd bring new meaning to 'Parking the Bus'...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: