The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 14:15:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Where next for Jimmy?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where next for Jimmy?  (Read 14910 times)
guest2235

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2018, 07:48:50 am »

So what does make a decent manager? Whilst most of us can name the factors under a given individuals control, there are a lot that aren’t. W@nker that he was I don’t believe JED signed the players he wanted and ended up with an unbalanced squad as a result. JJs red card against Shrewsbury was our death sentence last season given the amount of points that made the difference? Add to this list injuries to your best players and also your best players being poached and it becomes a bit of a lottery. How our teams have performed under a given manager are often a sign of how many of these uncontrollable events have befallen a squad in a given season. Similarly if all the factors go your way an individual can flatter to deceive, which might explain JFHs success at Burton? If you want to know how a bloke is performing a more exact science to analyse all of the mitigating circumstances should be applied. Sometimes it’s not always just down to being sh1t. Would be interesting to see how many issues Wilder had to deal with of that nature?
How about staff and players not getting paid and the club nearly going out of business? The work he did here that season was outstanding considering the circumstances.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2018, 08:08:36 am »

Fair enough, but he didn't agree a deal with Charlton in the end. It also doesn't change my point that Wilder didn't 'jump ship' because he knew he couldn't take the club any further. I'd say a potential job at Charlton is a fair inducement to consider leaving considering the two clubs respective sizes.

Do you think he planned to jump ship if arguably the two biggest clubs in the division at that time hadn't shown an interest, one of which was his boyhood club?

He was very close to leaving his boyhood club for Sunderland this season.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest3114

« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2018, 13:54:03 pm »

How about staff and players not getting paid and the club nearly going out of business? The work he did here that season was outstanding considering the circumstances.
Probably one of the most difficult situations you could imagine to manage in? Hard to remember a one of our managers in a equally difficult position? Possibly Chard?
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #143 on: July 30, 2018, 21:30:03 pm »

Probably one of the most difficult situations you could imagine to manage in? Hard to remember a one of our managers in a equally difficult position? Possibly Chard?

Theo Foley
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2018, 22:14:39 pm »

Theo Foley
And him
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2018, 22:52:28 pm »

And him

Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2018, 06:46:33 am »

Football managers are a strange bunch!

Im absolutely convinced that they ALL try to over complicate things at times. Us fans will question every manager at every club at times, just think about the long series of England Managers over the years. Playing out of form players, players out of position…they all seem to consider themselves to be footballing scientists.

I put it down to them being with the players all week, seeing stuff in training that we don't every see. I remember insider on here saying Lobjolt would be the next big thing…and he's the only one of us whose watched them train a few times. Says it all!

The benefit of only seeing the players once a week is that you just get to see the end product. You don't get to see how its made, the production problems, the stresses in the factory (training pitch). So its very easy to come to simple conclusions. And those conclusions are inevitably mostly right!  Grin

I swear to God if Bungle (for example) just pitched up in the pub at 1:30pm every Saturday afternoon and texted the manager what the team needs to be we'd be onto a winner. You can guarantee that we'd have players in their correct positions, no slow left backs being played as wing backs, No old war horse striker stuck out on the wing, No two strikers stuck together up top that don't compliment themselves. And thats all because he doesn't watch them doing stuff in training they simply can't replicate on a Saturday afternoon!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2018, 08:28:20 am »

I put it down to them being with the players all week, seeing stuff in training that we don't every see. I remember insider on here saying Lobjolt would be the next big thing…and he's the only one of us whose watched them train a few times. Says it all!

My old school friend works on the coaching set up. Said he used to hate reading social media after a game seeing fans screaming for Lobjoit knowing just how bad he is week in week out in training.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2018, 09:46:50 am »

Im absolutely convinced that they ALL try to over complicate things at times....Playing out of form players, players out of position…they all seem to consider themselves to be footballing scientists.

Nail on head.

Both JFH and JED were guilty of gross overcomplication. JED was obsessed with shoehorning players into rigid systems - first the diamond and then 3-5-2 - despite the fact that we lacked the crucial personnel to make them work.

JFH seemed to play less rigid systems, but the roles within the 4-2-3-1 he favoured seemed to be unnecessarily complex. Thus Grimes seemed to be instructed to play as some sort of fancy deep-lying playmaker in front of the back four when he would surely have been better deployed further up the field on the left-side of the three (if not on the bench!)

I think one of Wilder's great strengths was his determination to keep things simple. His 4-2-3-1 allowed Holmes and Adams to come inside and play off Rico while O'Toole and Byrom ran the middle and when that wasn't working anymore he simplified even further and went to a straightforward 4-4-2.

Our upturn in form under Austin was largely due to his return to simplicity. Let's hope that this continues into this season.

Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2018, 13:16:17 pm »

I think one of Wilder's great strengths was his determination to keep things simple. His 4-2-3-1 allowed Holmes and Adams to come inside and play off Rico while O'Toole and Byrom ran the middle and when that wasn't working anymore he simplified even further and went to a straightforward 4-4-2.

This is so true - in most of our few successful season that were also a joy to watch operated on simplicity and allowing players to express themselves - occasionally a disciplined rigid coached approach works but these a rarely overly entertaining games  - Wilder and Carr represent the first case - arguably Atkins and Calderwood the latter - no doubt in my mind which campaigns I enjoyed the most.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2018, 14:50:32 pm »

Completely agree, Calderwoods team bored the shyte out of me TBH.
To answer the title of this thread..... I could not give a flying where the idiot turns up.... Maybe at Boro would be a dream come true.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest3114

« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2018, 20:17:32 pm »

Football managers are a strange bunch!

Im absolutely convinced that they ALL try to over complicate things at times. Us fans will question every manager at every club at times, just think about the long series of England Managers over the years. Playing out of form players, players out of position…they all seem to consider themselves to be footballing scientists.

The benefit of only seeing the players once a week is that you just get to see the end product. You don't get to see how its made, the production problems, the stresses in the factory (training pitch). So its very easy to come to simple conclusions. And those conclusions are inevitably mostly right!  Grin

I swear to God if Bungle (for example) just pitched up in the pub at 1:30pm every Saturday afternoon and texted the manager what the team needs to be we'd be onto a winner. You can guarantee that we'd have players in their correct positions, no slow left backs being played as wing backs, No old war horse striker stuck out on the wing, No two strikers stuck together up top that don't compliment themselves. And thats all because he doesn't watch them doing stuff in training they simply can't replicate on a Saturday afternoon!  Grin
See it in the commercial world often Drilling. Things are going well and a new bloke turns up. Rather than leave things as they are with perhaps a little tweak they are often too arrogant and desperate to make their mark and demonstrate their ability. The net result is often wholesale changes, instability and confusion. Before you know where you are the whole thing is a car crash in slow motion. It takes real strength of character and confidence to do the right thing rather than the impressive thing. Sound familiar?
Report Spam   Logged
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2018, 17:00:19 pm »

Based on what Foley said on BBC Radio Northampton post-match today (suggesting JFH had his favourites  and some players not getting a look in) I'd suggest nowhere next in management for Jimmy!
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
guest3023

« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2018, 19:42:00 pm »

Based on what Foley said on BBC Radio Northampton post-match today (suggesting JFH had his favourites  and some players not getting a look in) I'd suggest nowhere next in management for Jimmy!

You could be right, JFH is a pundit on the Leeds v Middlesbrough game tonight, so maybe he's looking to get back into the media side of things!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: