The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 09:35:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Looking ahead with our squad...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking ahead with our squad...  (Read 8781 times)
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« on: April 03, 2018, 14:50:39 pm »

I know optimism is in short supply but I do honestly believe that with the correct management/tactics we have a good backbone of a squad for next season (particularly if we assume that we are in league 2).

I've listed the players I'd like to be retaining and building the squad around.

GK: O'Donnell, Coddington

Def: Moloney, Facey, Pierre, Taylor, Buchanan, Bunney (as a wing back/ left mid).

Mid: Foley, O'Toole, McWilliams, Crooks

Attack: KvV, Waters, Hoskins

I'd be looking to dispense with everyone else, with loans to go back. Release/offload: Cornell, Phillips, Hanley, Barnett, Turnbull, Powell, Kasim, Lobjoit, Bowditch, Luckassen.

I think the only loans I'd be interested in signing permanently would be Ariyibi and Poole, but the latter would likely be out of our price range.

Clearly the weak links (surprise surprise) are in respect of both width and up front so this will need some serious TLC.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 14:53:06 pm by clarkeysntfc » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 15:07:49 pm »

I think Coddington.Maloney.Buchanan.KvV Waters and Hoskins all need to go. Any players like that will just give a mediocre team

Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
guest48

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 15:17:47 pm »

I think Coddington.Maloney.Buchanan.KvV Waters and Hoskins all need to go. Any players like that will just give a mediocre team

I think the last 4 you mention are all under contract for next season, so is it worth paying them off to replace them with someone no better ?
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 15:58:28 pm »

I would agree with you if we were remaining in L1, however L2 football as we know is a pretty hefty drop in quality.

Coddington should be fine as a reserve GK.

I agree that Hoskins is vastly overrated, but he's under contract until 2020 and I think he's another one who would be OK at a lower level with confidence. Even Waters scored goals at that level.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3181

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 16:13:07 pm »

Now then, as Dean & Jon are in charge until the end of the season,that means that they will determine the retained list (and who gets the heave-ho).

That doesn't seem very logical to me.

Surely, a new man should be given the chance to put the current squad through their paces - ie, 1-2-1 interviews, training assessments, physical assessments, etc. ?

Which leads me to conclude that the next man will be through the door quicker than we think....... and we will know the answer based on the line-ups for the last 2-3 games.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 17:04:09 pm »

Now then, as Dean & Jon are in charge until the end of the season,that means that they will determine the retained list (and who gets the heave-ho).

That doesn't seem very logical to me.

Surely, a new man should be given the chance to put the current squad through their paces - ie, 1-2-1 interviews, training assessments, physical assessments, etc. ?

Which leads me to conclude that the next man will be through the door quicker than we think....... and we will know the answer based on the line-ups for the last 2-3 games.

Depends whether the end of the season is May 5th, after the last game, or whether it’s June 30th...when the contracts end usually.
Would agree that a new man would need at least a watching brief to see how we perform in the last few games in order to make an informed decision.

Once the loanees have gone back, and then add those who are contracted for another year or two, how many players are on contracts that expire this season? I’d guess not too many. Also I wonder how many of the ‘big players’ had relegation release clauses or similar??

Then again, certainly Austin will have seen these players both on the pitch and on the training ground, so he’d be in the best position to decide on a retained list....if allowed to do so.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 17:19:16 pm »

Don’t forget the mighty dean bowditch who will be returning to see out the remainder of his bloated contract.  I think Barnett’s got at least another year (maybe more) as has kasim - shows what a basket case recruitment was in the summer. If we can keep hold of Ash Taylor and pair him with a fully fit Pierre with facey (again if we can keep him) at right back we’ve got the basis of a half decent defence with a decent keeper in O’Donnell behind them - they just need to be properly coached and drilled by someone who knows what he’s doing over the close season. In midfield again if they get proper coaching and fitness training then we’ve got jjot, foley, McWilliams and crooks all of whom are decent. Up front is the problem - I can’t see any way that we will get Long in league 2 and all we’ll really have is van veen. Again if we get him fit and firing I think he will be a decent second striker/number 10 - whoever the new manager is will have to identify a prolific striker if we’re to challenge at the top and they don’t come cheap/grow on trees.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 17:27:32 pm »

A very bizarre situation, if I was the chairman I would be interviewing Rosler, Alexander and Warburton tomorrow with a view to appointing one of them by Friday. All are out of work and would apply, we would defiantly get a bounce from one these experienced managers.

Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest3181

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 17:29:33 pm »

....... will have to identify a prolific striker if we’re to challenge at the top and they don’t come cheap/grow on trees.

What about Simon COX's Orange Pippin?   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 18:25:24 pm »

Apologies if any of those listed below arebincorrect, I've used Wiki but for what its worth, heres how I see our squad for next season.

Firstly, I wouldnt be looking to buy or reloan an of those weve got.

Goalkeepers: ROD, Coddington, Cornell, Goff
I'd  keep ROD as No1 and Goff for the future. If we're in L2, lose one of Coddington or Cornell. If we're in L1, lose them both and get someone to challenge ROD. Either way, net one out.

Defence: Maloney, Buchanan, Pierre, Taylor, Facey, Bunney, Phillips, Barnett, Hanley, Turnbull. Get rid of Hanley, regardless of division. For L2, I think there is enough there for all positions and I struggle to believe we'd attract any better. For L1, clearly we need to improve so I'd only keep, Facey, Taylor, Turnbull and believe it or not, Bunney. So basically, we'd need a replacement back four. 5 out, 4 in

Midfield: JJOT, Foley, Hoskins, Powell, Kasim, Bowditch, Bridge, Crooks, McWilliams. For L2, get rid of Kasim and Bowditch. Get a decent winger in. I'd keep Bridge for now, if only because we don't really know what he is capable of. For L1, I'd  keep JJOT, Crooks, Foley and McWilliams. Drop the rest and get two wingers, a ball winner and a no10. The nine we have need to become eight.

Strikers: Where to start... We have VV, Luckasson, Waters, Iaciofano and Lobjoit. We are so weak here I dont know where to start. But two need to go so for me its Waters and Lobjoit, regardless of division. I guess we could keep Lobjoit if he spent the season out on loan. If we're  L2 we need to get Joe back and give him game time, even if its from the bench. Either way, we need a proven goalscorer, even if its an older model. For L1, we need two. Sorry, but its obvious.

So,
3 keepers, 8 defenders, 8 midfield, 5 forwards. 24 of our own, contracted players who we would be happy to play.

As for loans, I'd use them sparingly and not (unless we can get a proven Championship player looking for game time) as a first choice. I really dont see the point in loaning players who are not as good as what we have, especially if the terms involve mandatory starting positions.

Obviously, I've not considered any outstanding contracts which might scupper some of my ramblings. I do think though that whoever we get in needs a bit of freedom to imprint their style. I just hope that means we dont have to keep Hoskins and lose JJOT, in order to do so...
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 19:27:42 pm »

From what I've seen this season... and completely my opinion:

O'Donnell
Facey
Taylor
O'Toole
These have all proved to me they are of League One quality.

Bunney
Pierre
Crooks
Grimes
Perriera
Ariyibi
Van Veen
Long
These all have good footballing CVs and have surely underperformed to varying levels in my opinion. We can all see they have talent, but have only shown it on a sporadic basis at best. If every player here was on a free transfer, you'd expect a minimum 7 of the 8 to pick up a League One side at least.

Buchs
Turnbull
Moloney
Hoskins
Foley
McWilliams
Powell
Poole
Luckassen
These will all probably be pretty effective in a top 6 League Two side. This might look harsh on McWilliams, but I really felt he needed a long term loan in League Two this season. Never know... next season might be the making of him? If we go down, a central midfield trio of him, O'Toole and Crooks will be very effective at that level.

Cornell
Kasim
Barnett
Mathis
Phillips
Hanley
These will appear in my 'All Time Forgettable Cobblers' squad in the not too distant future.

Going forward into next season, I'm pretty certain not a single loanee will be wanting to come anywhere near Northampton next season (regardless of what league we are in), so we can write these off. In League One, we'd need a pretty big clear out of all the dross and a bit of a rebuild if want something better than a third relegation battle in as many years. We'd be back looking for new wingers again and more firepower up front yet again.

In League Two? I really think we could build a team around a core of O'Donnell, Taylor, Facey, O'Toole, Crooks, McWilliams and Van Veen. Even Hoskins might look like a decent winger back in League Two.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 19:50:59 pm »

Not a bad assessment there Wolvo!!

My thoughts would be similar.....however I wonder how many of the big earning players we'll be able to keep on. Those that were attracted here by the Hasselbaink/Chinese revolution. I've heard many rumours about the multiple thousand pound week contracts some of them are on. Crooks, Taylor, KVV, Facey and Luckasson are all "rumoured" to be on upwards of 3k a week.

If we are in League 2 then income drops......we lose 400k at a stroke from the TV and Premier League pot. We also have to comply with a tighter budget restriction...wages of 55% of income against the 60% allowed in League 1.

We may have to transfer-list one or two of our better players, to raise some income and to drop the wage bill.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 20:05:34 pm »

Midfield: JJOT, Foley, Hoskins, Powell, Kasim, Bowditch, Bridge, Crooks, McWilliams. For L2, get rid of Kasim and Bowditch. Get a decent winger in. I'd keep Bridge for now, if only because we don't really know what he is capable of. For L1, I'd  keep JJOT, Crooks, Foley and McWilliams. Drop the rest and get two wingers, a ball winner and a no10. The nine we have need to become eight.

A fair assessment of our players and a comprehensive view of building a squad. I am interested in what formation you would be looking to play most games. I made an assumption that you were looking at a 4231 given you want a 10. If the ball winner and no.10 you want would be starters that means you have Crooks, McWilliams, O’Toole and Foley competing for 1 place. Then you have no competition for the two wingers and 5 forwards for 1 place.

Not meant as a dig but perhaps highlights there is far more work to be done to balance the squad than we realise. As ever an interesting summer awaits
Report Spam   Logged
Razor

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 20:38:48 pm »

There are very few players I'd be happy to see back again next season. The more we can get rid of the better.
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 20:44:09 pm »

Id probably go 3 5 2 tbh, with the wide men in the 5 being set up either slightly attacking or slightly more defensively minded depending on the game plan.

I'd use Facey, Taylor and Turnbull at the back

Using what we've got right now in L2, I'd say you could play McWilliams/Foley as the hold, Bunney and Powell wide and Crooks and JJOT in the centre with either one slightly more advanced or taking it in turns. Hoskins could play any role bar the hold (albeit to a lesser level). Im assuming Bridge would cover in the Crooks/JJOT role but I guess if a proven option became available you could swap Bridge out. Using my L2 squad, you could still use Moloney and Buchs in the 5 if you wanted to be more defensive.

I'd still like another wide option though.

Be interested to know if my preferred 3 5 above ever actually started a game together in those positions...

Of course none of this matters with Messi and Ronaldo up top....
Report Spam   Logged
guest3181

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 20:47:50 pm »

Id probably go 3 5 2 tbh, with the wide men in the 5 being set up either slightly attacking or slightly more defensively minded depending on the game plan.

Using what we've got right now in L2, I'd say you could play McWilliams/Foley as the hold, Bunney and Powell wide and Crooks and JJOT in the centre with either one slightly more advanced or taking it in turns. Hoskins could play any role bar the hold (albeit to a lesser level). Im assuming Bridge would cover in the Crooks/JJOT role but I guess if a proven option became available you could swap Bridge out. Using my L2 squad, you could still use Moloney and Buchs in the 5 if you wanted to be more defensive.

Be interested to know if my preferred 3 5 above ever actually started a game together in those positions...

I'd go with the 11 that wanted it most, regardless of formation.  If they lack talent, then they have to make sure that (even if/especially if they are red-carded), the other player takes no further part in the game.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 21:17:57 pm »

Couldn’t be any worse than what Jimmy put out!
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 06:21:05 am »

There are very few players I'd be happy to see back again next season. The more we can get rid of the better.

100% agree with this. We have the most unlikable squad of players for years - Barring a few exceptions
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 07:39:26 am »

A fair assessment of our players and a comprehensive view of building a squad. I am interested in what formation you would be looking to play most games. I made an assumption that you were looking at a 4231 given you want a 10. If the ball winner and no.10 you want would be starters that means you have Crooks, McWilliams, O’Toole and Foley competing for 1 place. Then you have no competition for the two wingers and 5 forwards for 1 place.

Not meant as a dig but perhaps highlights there is far more work to be done to balance the squad than we realise. As ever an interesting summer awaits
            For what it's worth I would go for 3-5 2.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 08:12:54 am »

Couldn’t be any worse than what Jimmy put out!

I hate this phrase. I heard it after Page, JED and now Jimmy... Please don't tempt it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: