The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 18:03:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Looking ahead with our squad...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking ahead with our squad...  (Read 8802 times)
Mathius

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 08:20:11 am »

You've got to pick a team that will fight. We've survived with less talented squads in the past because of this.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 13:13:25 pm »

In my opinion O'Donnell, Facey, Taylor, Pierre, Crooks and O'Toole would all be superb players in League 2, amongst the best in their respective positions in the division. Whilst he has not set the world alight you could argue Kevin Van Veen belongs in this category too.

If they are used effectively and managed better than by JFH, then Hoskins, Foley, Powell, Turnbull, Barnett, McWilliams and Bunney will all be more than suitable as squad players in League 2.

That's a good squad for that league. What the new manager will need to do is identify how he can use the rest of the budget to bring in quality players for the way he intends to play - most likely a quality central midfielder, a couple of wide players, and a forward that fits in with our attacking play.

I don't see it being all doom and gloom provided we get the right man in, and the right new players in!
Report Spam   Logged
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 15:59:09 pm »

Debatable who should be in our squad for next season but one this is for certain in my view. A smaller one might help (not in height before anyone gets the wrong idea)  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 16:06:37 pm »

Debatable who should be in our squad for next season but one this is for certain in my view. A smaller one might help (not in height before anyone gets the wrong idea)  Wink

But surely larger squads create competition for places on matchday(that's assuming that we have players who really want to play and not just take our money).
Report Spam   Logged
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 16:10:56 pm »

But surely larger squads create competition for places on matchday(that's assuming that we have players who really want to play and not just take our money).

Lots of unhappy players unable to get any 1st team action----->bad vibe------>vibe spreads.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 16:23:21 pm »

Lots of unhappy players unable to get any 1st team action----->bad vibe------>vibe spreads.

Fair point, but there are always going to be fringe players who would probably only get a game due to injury.
Report Spam   Logged
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 16:29:24 pm »

Fair point, but there are always going to be fringe players who would probably only get a game due to injury.

Yes, but we have enough players to field at least three totally different starting 11's, including those in on loan (and out on loan if needed/recalled). 38 listed in our squad on the offy.
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 19:01:57 pm »

Id have Iciafano as a player on the bench every week next season and starting in the cup games.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 07:28:22 am »

Don’t expect too much difference from Austin and Brady in the last 5 games .
They can’t radically change things over night .
I do think players will be allowed to express themselves more though .
My understanding is that Jimmy strangled players .
If we get a few wins , anything can happen .
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2018, 21:32:43 pm »

In my opinion O'Donnell, Facey, Taylor, Pierre, Crooks and O'Toole would all be superb players in League 2, amongst the best in their respective positions in the division. Whilst he has not set the world alight you could argue Kevin Van Veen belongs in this category too.

If they are used effectively and managed better than by JFH, then Hoskins, Foley, Powell, Turnbull, Barnett, McWilliams and Bunney will all be more than suitable as squad players in League 2.

That's a good squad for that league. What the new manager will need to do is identify how he can use the rest of the budget to bring in quality players for the way he intends to play - most likely a quality central midfielder, a couple of wide players, and a forward that fits in with our attacking play.

I don't see it being all doom and gloom provided we get the right man in, and the right new players in!

I agree.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2018, 22:15:14 pm »

Yet another cliche but the spine of any team is usually the bedrock of success. Ours has been fairly average and without JJ particularly poor. Not enough leadership, experience or tenacity in there all season I’m afraid?
Report Spam   Logged
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2018, 12:25:25 pm »

It'll be interesting to see if any of our players have relegation clauses in their contracts. Difficult to predict until that becomes clearer.

In the first instance return all loan players and offload Cornell, Phillips, Barnett, Hanley, Kasim, Bowditch and Lobjoit

We need a good defensive midfielder who can screen the defence, a couple of wingers and a couple of strikers
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2018, 16:48:13 pm »

We need a good defensive midfielder who can screen the defence.

Whose that bloke with long hair waving his arm in the air?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3181

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2018, 17:20:17 pm »

I would prefer to use a telescope....   Evil
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2018, 17:32:10 pm »

I would prefer to use a telescope....   Evil

Through which end?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest3181

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2018, 17:44:03 pm »

Through which end?

LOL!

Burger....  You've managed to completely confuse me, now that I realise that there is a choice!   Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2018, 06:47:44 am »

Based on our current squad, assuming we drop in to league 2.

1. David Cornell  - Goalkeeper Get rid
2. Brendan Moloney - Right back Keep
3. David Buchanan - Left back Keep
4. Yaser Kasim - Centre midfield Get rid
5. Leon Barnett - Centre back Get rid
6. Ash Taylor - Centre back Keep
7. Billy Waters - Forward/Winger (on loan to Cambridge United) Possibly keep
8. Sam Foley - Centre midfield Keep
10.Kevin Van Veen - Forward Possibly look to move on
11.Daniel Powell - Winger/Forward Get rid
12.Leon Lobjoit - Forward/Winger (on loan to Banbury United) Get rid
13.Richard O'Donnell - Goalkeeper Keep as number 1
14.Sam Hoskins - Winger/Forward Keep
15.Dean Bowditch - Midfield/Forward (on loan to Stevenage) Get rid
16.Aaron Pierre - Centre back Keep
17.Shaun McWilliams - Centre midfield Keep
18.Aaron Phillips - Right back Get rid
19.Chris Long - Forward (on loan from Burnley) Try and sign permanently
21.John-Joe O'Toole - Centre midfield Keep
22.Matt Crooks - Centre midfield Keep
23.Joe Iaciofano - Forward (on loan to Brackley Town) Out on loan?
24.Shay Facey - Right back/Centre back Keep
25.James Goff - Goalkeeper Keep as no.2
26.Regan Poole - Centre back/Midfield (on loan from Manchester United) Try and sign permanently -unlikely
27.Raheem Hanley - Left back/wing (on loan to FC Halifax) Release
29.Matt Grimes - Left/Centre Midfield (on loan from Swansea City) Release
30.Luke Coddington - Goalkeeper (on loan to Guiseley AFC)Release
31.James Gillard - Striker/Winger (Youth Team)
32.Cameron McWilliams - Right back/Midfield (Youth Team)
33.Sean Whaler - Midfield/Winger (Youth team)
34.Prudence Anaele - Centre back (Youth team)
36.Jack Bridge - Winger/Attacking Midfield Possibly release?
37.Jordan Turnbull - Centre back/Left back Keep
39.Joe Bunney - Left back/Midfield Keep
42.Kevin Luckassen - Forward Get rid
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2018, 07:17:24 am »

Just can't see the love in with Buchanan and Moloney, let them go and replace with players more mobile. Buchanan is very lucky to still be at the club.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2018, 09:17:59 am »

Its not really a case of just keeping our best players is it? Crooks etc will surely want to force a move away. A la Crowe, Hughes etc did last time.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2018, 09:26:18 am »

2. Brendan Moloney - Right back Keep
3. David Buchanan - Left back Keep
10.Kevin Van Veen - Forward Possibly look to move on
11.Daniel Powell - Winger/Forward Get rid
19.Chris Long - Forward (on loan from Burnley) Try and sign permanently
26.Regan Poole - Centre back/Midfield (on loan from Manchester United) Try and sign permanently -unlikely
36.Jack Bridge - Winger/Attacking Midfield Possibly release?
42.Kevin Luckassen - Forward Get rid

Not sure I'd sell VV, depends if he wants to play at a higher level still and/or if we can afford him still. Been injured pretty much the entire time with us and doubt we could get better at L2 level.

I'd be looking to get rid of Buchs and Moloney if possible, they are both on good wages but there best days are behind them. No time for sentiment, need younger and quicker players in these spots. Not sure on ditching Powell either, he was showing decent form before his hamstring injury and would be decent at L2 level.

We have no chance of signing Poole or Long I wouldn't have thought. Bridge hasn't even played a game, I would like to see him get at least a preseason run.

I think Lucky deserves a contract, we don't have a striker like him on the books but depends again on what we are paying him.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: