The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 21:28:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Walsall Satdee (great escape part two)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walsall Satdee (great escape part two)  (Read 17332 times)
guest3181

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2018, 22:15:30 pm »

What, pretend to swim amongst turds and crisp packets whilst being stared at by backpackers?

Hey, we're talking Black Country, not Bogamy Bay.......   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2018, 22:29:00 pm »

It has the potential to be a Dagenham. There are quite a few parallels.

It is almost impossible to predict because of the tiny number of games played under the new manager. Was Plymouth a one off or have we genuinely come a long way in a very short space of time? We'll have the answer soon enough. There have been so many false dawns this season that it would be typical of us to go and get stuffed on Saturday.

What we have finally found now is some momentum and belief. We had that in 2013/14 and it kept us up against the odds, despite a few bumps in the road on the run we went on. Any bumps now will be terminal. We need a Dagenham followed by an Oxford.

Bring it on!

I've been saying this all week. Can't wait to see the pubs in Birmingham full of town fans like we did in Liverpool Street that day.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2018, 06:40:29 am »

It would be great to stay up and go into next year with the fans united behind Austin.

Nothing like a bit of adversity to bring Cobbler together !
Report Spam   Logged

GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2018, 09:20:10 am »

I've been saying this all week. Can't wait to see the pubs in Birmingham full of town fans like we did in Liverpool Street that day.

We might be outnumbered!! Villa expecting 35000 plus for their hone game with Derby and Wolves a 30000 sell out for their game with Sheffield Wednesday.

It’s going to be a busy Saturday in Brum!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2018, 09:47:55 am »

It has the potential to be a Dagenham. There are quite a few parallels.

It is almost impossible to predict because of the tiny number of games played under the new manager. Was Plymouth a one off or have we genuinely come a long way in a very short space of time? We'll have the answer soon enough. There have been so many false dawns this season that it would be typical of us to go and get stuffed on Saturday.

What we have finally found now is some momentum and belief. We had that in 2013/14 and it kept us up against the odds, despite a few bumps in the road on the run we went on. Any bumps now will be terminal. We need a Dagenham followed by an Oxford.

Bring it on!

The reason I don't think it was a one-off is because a lot of our success on Saturday was down to the tactics Dean Austin used. By playing Hoskins up front it meant that we could use his pace and play balls in behind the Plymouth defence which got us from back to front very quickly. That's something we haven't really done all year. You could see Plymouth couldn't handle it. It's no secret that defenders hate having players run in behind. Whilst I'm not a huge Hoskins fan, he does possess the pace and mobility to cause problems for a back line.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2018, 09:51:40 am »

We might be outnumbered!! Villa expecting 35000 plus for their hone game with Derby and Wolves a 30000 sell out for their game with Sheffield Wednesday.

It is indeed! And i'm more up for this game than I have been for anything since Pompey away in the championship year, but I'm still trying to temper my emotions...if things go wrong we could be relegated by teatime Saturday. Lips Sealed
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2018, 09:59:36 am »

I don’t believe Saturday was a one off .
The reason being is that I know hasselbank confused the players and many of them didn’t either understand or buy into what he was doing .
Tactics have been simplified and people are given roles they are comfortable with .
The team is now operating as a team and the management is not aloof from that .
The culture has changed
Report Spam   Logged
Razor

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2018, 10:06:16 am »

The reason I don't think it was a one-off is because a lot of our success on Saturday was down to the tactics Dean Austin used. By playing Hoskins up front it meant that we could use his pace and play balls in behind the Plymouth defence which got us from back to front very quickly. That's something we haven't really done all year. You could see Plymouth couldn't handle it. It's no secret that defenders hate having players run in behind. Whilst I'm not a huge Hoskins fan, he does possess the pace and mobility to cause problems for a back line.

I completely agree about the tactics being the reason we played so well on Saturday. It also stands to reason that Plymouth were caught totally by surprise by the tactics we used seeing as it was so different to how we have been playing for the most part this year. They weren't expecting us to play like that and they clearly didn't have a plan to deal with it and stubbornly playing such a high line for the entirety of the second half was incredibly naive. We WERE good but they also played a part in making us look good.

Walsall know what to expect now and have had a week to work on a plan to combat the new threat we pose. Can we do it against a team that knows what's coming? Do we have a plan B if it doesn't work? There are still so many unknowns!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:10:36 am by Razor » Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2018, 10:52:56 am »

I've been reading Walsall and Oldham's forums today and their fans are all pretty much resigned to relegation.

I'm not sure if I'm happy I now have some hope or if I would rather be resigned to our fate like they are.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2018, 11:31:18 am »

I completely agree about the tactics being the reason we played so well on Saturday. It also stands to reason that Plymouth were caught totally by surprise by the tactics we used seeing as it was so different to how we have been playing for the most part this year. They weren't expecting us to play like that and they clearly didn't have a plan to deal with it and stubbornly playing such a high line for the entirety of the second half was incredibly naive. We WERE good but they also played a part in making us look good.

Walsall know what to expect now and have had a week to work on a plan to combat the new threat we pose. Can we do it against a team that knows what's coming? Do we have a plan B if it doesn't work? There are still so many unknowns!

I agree the surprise element has gone but the problem is, it’s difficult to stop even if you know it's coming. Even if they’re prepared for it, as a defender life becomes a lot more difficult when you even have to think about someone running in behind. You can plan all you want but if someone is just downright quicker than you and makes the right runs it’s awkward. Plymouth was the first game all season we’ve even put that doubt into the oppositions head.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2018, 12:05:57 pm »

I agree the surprise element has gone but the problem is, it’s difficult to stop even if you know it's coming. Even if they’re prepared for it, as a defender life becomes a lot more difficult when you even have to think about someone running in behind. You can plan all you want but if someone is just downright quicker than you and makes the right runs it’s awkward. Plymouth was the first game all season we’ve even put that doubt into the oppositions head.

Perhaps it is more down to an upturn in confidence and above all we have some momentum going into the next game. The form of Oldham and Walsall is not very good at the moment and this is exemplified on their respective forums. IMO our real advantage is that we have some momentum which the other two teams don't appear to have.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:08:14 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2018, 12:07:05 pm »

I don’t believe Saturday was a one off .
The reason being is that I know hasselbank confused the players and many of them didn’t either understand or buy into what he was doing .
Tactics have been simplified and people are given roles they are comfortable with .
The team is now operating as a team and the management is not aloof from that .
The culture has changed

Are you are posting that with a factual tone?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2487

« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2018, 12:08:22 pm »

We also have everyone fit and available. Everyone seems to be singing from the same hymn sheet and if they're not then they ain't included in the squad.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2018, 12:15:44 pm »

Perhaps it is more down to an upturn in confidence and above all we have some momentum going into the next game. The form of Oldham and Walsall is not very good at the moment and this is exemplified on their respective forums. IMO our real advantage is that we have some momentum which the other two teams don't appear to have.

This is also very true. There's a belief amongst the players which was evident on Saturday and with only two games left to play it's crucial. It's almost like a mini-tournament for us now and the momentum we've gathered will be enormous. Looking back, that Bury win may have had a bigger effect on the players than first anticipated.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2018, 12:39:51 pm »

Has anyone managed to get tickets in the home end yet?
Report Spam   Logged
Razor

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2018, 12:53:40 pm »

Apparently loads of Walsall fans have.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2018, 13:15:30 pm »

Grin

Cheers!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2018, 13:20:43 pm »

Has anyone managed to get tickets in the home end yet?

Apparently some have, taking advantage of the special offer!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2018, 16:31:02 pm »

Posted that to Dan a few pages back!
Looks like over 9000 at the Bescot on Sat...apparently the biggest crowd since Wolves visited three years back!
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2018, 18:23:40 pm »

We've planned to tick off the usual pubs- Wellington, Post Office Vaults and the Shakespeare. Think we're going to get the 14.27 train which will definitely be heaving with Villa fans. It'll be a great day.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: