The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 07:58:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Walsall Satdee (great escape part two)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walsall Satdee (great escape part two)  (Read 17346 times)
Alan Partridge

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2018, 20:09:47 pm »

You posted a crappy song with crappy words embellished by a distinctly dire video.  To me you have to be thick to post such rubbish. Stick to football and people will appreciate it.

Whoosh yet again!
Report Spam   Logged

Free to enter daily Postcode Lottery:

http://freepostcodelottery.com/?ref=241429
guest2677

« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2018, 20:18:28 pm »

Making those substitutions lessened our chances of scoring, but what was far worse was putting Taylor up front, that hugely improved Walsalls chance of winning the game, which is what they promptly did. No idea what DA was thinking there.
A season of wasted opportunity. We should have been so much better than that with the players at our disposal, and I include the likes of Richards and Revell.
And even at the end, I think we would have stayed up if Hasselbank had been removed only a few games earlier.
What a completely needless wasted season.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2018, 20:40:04 pm »

Whoosh yet again!

I got the theme of yr post Roll Eyes Except you tried to be clever in posting a crappy video with poor lyrics. Apologies for calling your video ‘example’ poor taste. Back to football.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2018, 20:43:11 pm »

Making those substitutions lessened our chances of scoring, but what was far worse was putting Taylor up front, that hugely improved Walsalls chance of winning the game, which is what they promptly did. No idea what DA was thinking there.
A season of wasted opportunity. We should have been so much better than that with the players at our disposal, and I include the likes of Richards and Revell.
And even at the end, I think we would have stayed up if Hasselbank had been removed only a few games earlier.
What a completely needless wasted season.

He was probably thinking tge fella that scores twice at Bury may well nick a last minute winner for us and massively improve our chances of staying up by taking all 3 points. Again I may gave done the same towards the end.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2018, 20:53:29 pm »

But by then we already had Long, Hoskins, JJ, VV all trying to get a head/touch on the ball for a goal, whilst at the back we were going with Barnet Facey and Bucs...
Did you see how distraught Taylor looked after they scored? It looked to me like he disagreed with Austin's decision to play him up front and the goal only confirmed that.
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2018, 21:06:20 pm »

Rightly or wrongly we went to win it. Not leave ourselves in the hands of others next week. I will never condemn a positive attitude,particularly as we have per sued safety first tsctics all season.
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 28, 2018, 21:28:53 pm »

Can't fault DA for going for the win, however KVV was never gonna put in a shift (fvck off ASAP you stroppy tw@t!)

You cannot not rely/keep fully upded on results elsewhere, while being engrossed in your own match & expect to get that information over to every player.

Oldham could have scored a 90th/95th minute winner, Rochdale could have scored late on too...

Rather a manager go for the win than sit back and lose...

We've created more chances the last 3 games than the proceeding 40 odd so I personally would not have a problem if DA gets the job.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3040

« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2018, 21:49:44 pm »

Very unlucky today, the problem was the games that hasselwank was in charge cluesless c#nt that he was.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 28, 2018, 23:02:39 pm »

Very unlucky today, the problem was the games that hasselwank was in charge cluesless c#nt that he was.

I think you are forgetting JED; where we lost the first four games and left Hass with a chronically unbalanced team! I fact the last 3 months of last season was the start of our decline. In hindsight I am more inclined to suggest that JED was more culpable than JFH.....well maybe Roll Eyes

Report Spam   Logged

guest47

« Reply #269 on: April 29, 2018, 19:23:26 pm »

It could so easily have been the continuation of the comeback. We certainly started brightly enough and at half time the mood was still positive.
Crooks and McWilliams were our best players so it was a surprise to see them both brought off. On reflection it was probably the right thing to do. The last few minutes were likely to be balls launched into the penalty box so a couple of fresh strikers are better options than tiring midfielders. To carry on Austin’s analogy it was kill or be killed...
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #270 on: April 29, 2018, 19:52:43 pm »

It could so easily have been the continuation of the comeback. We certainly started brightly enough and at half time the mood was still positive.
Crooks and McWilliams were our best players so it was a surprise to see them both brought off. On reflection it was probably the right thing to do. The last few minutes were likely to be balls launched into the penalty box so a couple of fresh strikers are better options than tiring midfielders. To carry on Austin’s analogy it was kill or be killed...
Trouble was , Hoskins never won a header all day, he should have been hauled off earlier, yeah put Taylor up top to win headers but drop someone back to replace him
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #271 on: April 29, 2018, 20:05:37 pm »

I still don't think it was the right thing to do.....a draw would have kept us in the "hunt".......

If we needed the win and that was Austins mindset from the start then why did he start one up top? Why not play three up front from the off? Grab an early goal or two and then sit back on the lead, whilst the Walsall natives got restless.

Throwing the two strikers on changed nothing......the formation stayed the same. O'Toole dropped back into the gap left by McWilliams and Long was stuck out wide right in place of Crooks. Van Veen played in the hole instead of O'Toole behind Hoskins. Nothing really changed at all formation-wise.

I also don't buy the "we took him off as he was on a yellow" argument. Walsall didn't do that with their playmaker Ozthumer.......even though he could have seen red for a dive soon after his first yellow.

In hindsight we should have took the easy option and protected the point. Then with a win over Oldham and a defeat for Rochdale at home to Charlton we'd have stayed up. It didn't matter what Wimbledon were doing, even Walsall. 20th place was well within our grasp......and we gave it up on a g*mble.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
cobblergaz59

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 29, 2018, 20:09:54 pm »

I still don't think it was the right thing to do.....a draw would have kept us in the "hunt".......

If we needed the win and that was Austins mindset from the start then why did he start one up top? Why not play three up front from the off? Grab an early goal or two and then sit back on the lead, whilst the Walsall natives got restless.

Throwing the two strikers on changed nothing......the formation stayed the same. O'Toole dropped back into the gap left by McWilliams and Long was stuck out wide right in place of Crooks. Van Veen played in the hole instead of O'Toole behind Hoskins. Nothing really changed at all formation-wise.

I also don't buy the "we took him off as he was on a yellow" argument. Walsall didn't do that with their playmaker Ozthumer.......even though he could have seen red for a dive soon after his first yellow.

In hindsight we should have took the easy option and protected the point. Then with a win over Oldham and a defeat for Rochdale at home to Charlton we'd have stayed up. It didn't matter what Wimbledon were doing, even Walsall. 20th place was well within our grasp......and we gave it up on a g*mble.

It's all if's and but's....If Vv had taken his chance he would be a hero and Austin would be a brilliant tactitian but he didn't and he's not...Hindsight is a wonderful thing
Report Spam   Logged

"The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2017"
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #273 on: April 29, 2018, 20:24:24 pm »

It's all if's and but's....If Vv had taken his chance he would be a hero and Austin would be a brilliant tactitian but he didn't and he's not...Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Of course!! But we can only go on what we saw....and I saw a Cobblers side who were unlucky with a few chances, were on top and were rarely threatened throughout by a poor Walsall side.

Rochdale could have held on for a point against Oxford, or Oldham could have grabbed a goal at home to Doncaster and then the draw wouldn't have been good enough!

Like you say, all ifs and buts...and all academic now!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest3063

« Reply #274 on: April 29, 2018, 20:30:45 pm »

I can see your point of view and after the game I thought the same. But now I think differently. Oldham and Rochdale could both of scored in the 95th minute and imagine then the criticism he would have received at playing for the draw. He went for it and that was all he could really do at the time.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #275 on: April 29, 2018, 21:48:27 pm »

Theres a lot of different opinions on here about what went wrong, but ultimately the substitutions did change the game. Up until that point, we were pretty much in control of the game. Walsall did not offer too much up to that point, and suddenly there was a rather large gap in our midfield for them to exploit. Which they did successfully. Probably aided by the fact, that Taylor had been pushed up front as well. Austin took a chance. Was it the right one? That is probably subjective.
It was a decent atmosphere especially in the right hand corner behind the goal, albeit a bit feisty towards the end.
And if any of the Bescot Chavs are reading this, that volley of missiles and bricks that you launched at our coach, resulted in one broken window, and a lot of dents along the side. Thats ONE window, despite having plenty to aim at. And that window was double glazed, so it wasnt even a chilly ride home.  Grin
To you gentlemen, you get the following Tabasco ratings,
Target success, 1 out of 10.
Speed at which you ran away, 10 out of 10.
Total casualties, 0, although the lad behind me, did drop his popcorn.
Mind how you go lads, these sort of activities can come back to bite you.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 29, 2018, 22:13:57 pm »

A draw would have given us a chance final day but can understand going for it. Just ran out of games after the disastrous JFH spell. We'll win Lg2 next season let's hope.

I can agree with all the comments on the game even Glastons comments on going for it. We played ok without quite the panache we showed a week ago. We failed to score and paid the ultimate price. The defense to a man played ok and that includes the often much maligned Barnett.
Thought that Grimes put in a very decent and professional display as did McWilliams. JJOT without quite being quite the colossus we have come accustomed too also played well. Powell had some strong runs and did some great covering too. Crooks was man of the match for me totally bamboozling their fullback. Hoskins never quite made the heights of the Plymouth game, perhaps their defense had him covered too well or our long balls did not expose them sufficiently. Sad to say he did not look a threat up front. All in all a sad and disappointing result against a somewhat limited Walsall side; of course we should have won particularly in our strong periods. That precious goal never came.
The game swung decisively in Walsall's favour in the last ten minutes; we began to lump the ball anywhere up front. Taylor joined the forwards. I suppose in retrospect the double substitution lost us the game; bringing both Long and vV on was a failure. I am not totally sure if either knew what position they were playing in.  This was made worse by pulling Taylor into the forward line and exposing the defense. I would have left McWilliams on and stuck Hoskins on the right (that is if Crooks had a hamstring issue). To replace the striker position would have pulled on Long. IMO both he and vV leave a lot to be desired on the effort front in an R battle. As various posters have said a draw was better than a loss; it might not been enough but certainly better than no chance. As Mr Brexit said the damage was well and truly done in JFH period here and he really should bear the blame for the relegation.  As an afterthought, the players have to share some of the blame. Its no good leaving your best performances until the last four games of the season. The crowd was magnificent throughout, lot of young supporters there plus quite a few in 1970's shirts. Very unnecessary relegation. Bit confused by the Managers decisions ref the subs ; did JB have an input on this? Certainly non-plussed by pushing Taylor up front. Future Manager pairing now a bit doubtful - in hindsight the decision making was flawed and leads to certain relegation.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 22:41:11 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 29, 2018, 22:17:48 pm »

Reluctantly agree with this.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 29, 2018, 22:32:22 pm »

.......................... But now I think differently. Oldham and Rochdale could both of scored in the 95th minute and imagine then the criticism he would have received at playing for the draw.

Generally your first on the spot (gut) thought is generally right.  Otherwise, hindsight kicks in; always have this problem with the Cobbs.
Report Spam   Logged

JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #279 on: April 29, 2018, 22:58:58 pm »

Exactly. What a bunch of fickle f***ers on here. Let's face it, the damage has been done over the course of the last eighteen months, so it's hardly fair people hanging Austin out to dry. Sure, he made a call and it didn't pan out, but if it had been us who snatched a winner he'd be lauded as a hero. As for those plums saying he should have been aware of other scores and played for the draw.  Roll Eyes Seriously, can you imagine if Dale and Oldham both grabbed injury time victories, and then DA came out and admitted he set us up to hold out for a draw? Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. Personally, I'm not going to slaughter the bloke who's actually had us playing like a team. 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: