The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 06:45:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Walsall Satdee (great escape part two)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walsall Satdee (great escape part two)  (Read 17550 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #280 on: April 29, 2018, 23:08:57 pm »

Exactly. What a bunch of fickle f***ers on here. Let's face it, the damage has been done over the course of the last eighteen months, so it's hardly fair people hanging Austin out to dry. Sure, he made a call and it didn't pan out, but if it had been us who snatched a winner he'd be lauded as a hero. As for those plums saying he should have been aware of other scores and played for the draw.  Roll Eyes Seriously, can you imagine if Dale and Oldham both grabbed injury time victories, and then DA came out and admitted he set us up to hold out for a draw? Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. Personally, I'm not going to slaughter the bloke who's actually had us playing like a team. 

I don't disagree with your post at all and quite a few others have suggested similar points of view. What I did think at the time why bring Long and vV on; both in poor form and not really up for a relegation battle. Pulling off McWilliams and then pushing Taylor up front seemed odd at the time.  I am all for having a go but it seemed a wee bit gung-ho.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 23:11:07 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #281 on: April 29, 2018, 23:30:44 pm »

Exactly. What a bunch of fickle f***ers on here. Let's face it, the damage has been done over the course of the last eighteen months, so it's hardly fair people hanging Austin out to dry. Sure, he made a call and it didn't pan out, but if it had been us who snatched a winner he'd be lauded as a hero. As for those plums saying he should have been aware of other scores and played for the draw.  Roll Eyes Seriously, can you imagine if Dale and Oldham both grabbed injury time victories, and then DA came out and admitted he set us up to hold out for a draw? Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. Personally, I'm not going to slaughter the bloke who's actually had us playing like a team. 

Never has a post summed up my frustration with cobblers fans than this one. If I wore a cap I would doff it in your general direction !

My friend turned to me as the game finished and said " I would actually take the piss If it wasn't so obvious that you deserved to win that game"

Don't get me wrong the substitutions were wrong in hindsight (van veen I saw from the second I saw his number come up !) but If I had a s*** I needed polishing, Dean Austin would be top of the list to do so at the moment !
Report Spam   Logged

guest2539

« Reply #282 on: April 30, 2018, 04:42:22 am »

I had no problem taking Crooks off if his hamstring was tight again and replacing him with Long.
I had no problem putting Taylor up front to try and get the ball to stick and bring in the midfielders. There were still 3 defenders against one Walsall striker.
I had no problem if Austin thought McWilliams was in danger of a second yellow card as the game stretched.

The only decision (yes in hindsight) I disagree with is I would have brought Foley on as a sitting midfielder to guard against our achilles heel ALL season of midfielders running directly at our defence.

Austin and Brady tried but Page, JED, JFH and Thomas are the failures this season!
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #283 on: April 30, 2018, 07:01:13 am »

Just imagine. If we'd only lost 2-1 at Oldham then we'd stand a very good chance next weekend despite Saturdays defeat
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #284 on: April 30, 2018, 07:26:01 am »

I think some of the JFH bullsh1t has rubbed off onto Austin. He took Crooks off because he was running on empty, but admits he left OToole on when he knew that he also was running on empty.
Although relegation has been almost a certainty this season for a long time, those two ridiculous, ill judged substitutes took away the chance of taking the fight to the last game. Make no mistake, Austin was looking to make himself the Hero by going for the win when a draw would have been a reasonable result to take.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
guest3063

« Reply #285 on: April 30, 2018, 07:49:34 am »

I think some of the JFH bullsh1t has rubbed off onto Austin. He took Crooks off because he was running on empty, but admits he left OToole on when he knew that he also was running on empty.
Although relegation has been almost a certainty this season for a long time, those two ridiculous, ill judged substitutes took away the chance of taking the fight to the last game. Make no mistake, Austin was looking to make himself the Hero by going for the win when a draw would have been a reasonable result to take.

Yes, he did say that. But he also said JJOT was always capable of popping up with a goal and that's the reason he had to keep him on. Would you agree with that reasoning?
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 30, 2018, 08:54:25 am »

No. Because he didn't score. None of his going for broke substitutions did either.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
guest3063

« Reply #287 on: April 30, 2018, 09:09:08 am »

No. Because he didn't score. None of his going for broke substitutions did either.

Oh....fair enough. I don't agree though, JJOT is always likely to score and I would have left him on the pitch also. I don't think the fans would have liked it had he been substituted either.
Report Spam   Logged
Vince Planner

View Profile
Poll Voter Level 5 Combination
« Reply #288 on: April 30, 2018, 09:48:37 am »

We can't blame DA for having a go, even if he knew the other scores with 10 minutes to go there was every chance of Oldham and or Rochdale getting 3 points. It was a must win game, full stop. Those saying we should have settled for a draw are either wrong or know mystic meg. We would all have views on who to change, personally I thought Hoskins was never in the game so would have brought Long on at half-time, but then again he also has failed to contribute numerous times so who knows? Yes VV was a mistake and I'm sure DA is more annoyed than any of us with VV's lack of effort, no doubt he did his best to fire him up, tell him this is his big chance but VV failed, DA did not.

After three consecutive managers that couldn't motivate and played negative football DA is a breath of fresh air.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:51:46 am by Vince Planner » Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #289 on: April 30, 2018, 10:16:50 am »

The subs didn't work. And while I didn't agree with taking off either Crooks or McWilliams (they were by far our best players), and certainly didn't agree with bringing van Veen on, I can't really have a go at Dean for it.

All year I've just wanted us to go for it. A manager finally does it, but sadly it doesn't pan out. It's 50/50. Had JFH been a bit more bold some of those 50/50 chances throughout the season may have gone in our favour and we could be five or six points better off.

Dean made one poor tactical choice, but with the best of intentions. I'd rather see that then still have JFH in charge and have everyone back for corners when we're 3-0 down like we were against Rotherham.

I'm not sure yet whether I want Austin as the manager. My heart tells me he 'gets us' as a club and a fanbase, and he's clearly a great guy. But my head tells me he was part of the managerial team that is ultimately responsible. At the very least he gave us some passion and pride for a couple of weeks, even a bit of hope. We were effectively dead and buried after Posh, and all I wanted is for us not to go down with a whimper. I think DA probably did the best he could in that regards.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2235

« Reply #290 on: April 30, 2018, 10:27:10 am »

Quite telling that he believed we had made more chances in the last three games than the previous fifteen!
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #291 on: April 30, 2018, 11:47:18 am »

I have spoke several times about a conversation I had with Sammo some years ago.

I was stood next to a pitch in West Hunsbury chatting to him about a Cobblers game, where I just wondered why he had made the decision he had made. I wasn't challenging it, but clearly he thought I had intruded into his territory with my comment. He turned to me and clearly highlighted the luxury that I have. He said:

You can pick any team, formation, player or substitution you like... Because yours will never cross that white line at Sixfields. He went on to say... In addition to that, you have the luxury of changing your mind when you talk to others later and dressing it up nicely for your point in hindsight. Where as I don't. My decision is out there. Out there for all to see.

What he said has always stuck with me. I have been a manager and line manager for some years now. What he said that day, as always resonated with me.

You can be a total coward with an opinion. For me that is constantly demonstrated on here. They count for very little. Making decision that will actually change something, can weigh very heavy.

Austin played what he thought was is best card at that time. Most on here won't have any concept of the pressure he was under. He did his best. The fact that he galvanised the lads as much as he did, speaks volumes for me.
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #292 on: April 30, 2018, 12:05:17 pm »

Thats the best analysis I have read of the situation.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #293 on: April 30, 2018, 12:15:28 pm »

I have spoke several times about a conversation I had with Sammo some years ago.

I was stood next to a pitch in West Hunsbury chatting to him about a Cobblers game, where I just wondered why he had made the decision he had made. I wasn't challenging it, but clearly he thought I had intruded into his territory with my comment. He turned to me and clearly highlighted the luxury that I have. He said:

You can pick any team, formation, player or substitution you like... Because yours will never cross that white line at Sixfields. He went on to say... In addition to that, you have the luxury of changing your mind when you talk to others later and dressing it up nicely for your point in hindsight. Where as I don't. My decision is out there. Out there for all to see.

What he said has always stuck with me. I have been a manager and line manager for some years now. What he said that day, as always resonated with me.

You can be a total coward with an opinion. For me that is constantly demonstrated on here. They count for very little. Making decision that will actually change something, can weigh very heavy.

Austin played what he thought was is best card at that time. Most on here won't have any concept of the pressure he was under. He did his best. The fact that he galvanised the lads as much as he did, speaks volumes for me.

+
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 30, 2018, 14:09:19 pm »

A 'bit of bother' in the car park after the game on Saturday?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #295 on: April 30, 2018, 15:30:05 pm »

A 'bit of bother' in the car park after the game on Saturday?

certainly a lot of Walsall youths running after something in and around the retail park
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
guest3181

« Reply #296 on: May 01, 2018, 01:23:53 am »

I love it!

Somehow, over the years, I have managed to miss this very capable duo.  So, thank you for introducing me.

The sentiment was just right!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3181

« Reply #297 on: May 01, 2018, 02:19:56 am »

I totally agree!

As an aside:

There was many a time when I spoke to Sammo after games that he played during his prime here at the Cobblers (both before, and of course, many times after, the move to Sixfields).....  My off-spring always wanted to stay after games and get autographs (never something that appealed to me, I must confess).  Sammo was usually one of the last out, and he always wanted to talk and analyse the game.

Whilst signing autographs, he always used to ask what we thought ....  and I was always honest.  If I said something critical of the Cobblers (especially the defence), he usually replied with a "Hmmmmmm", and seemed to store the comment away for future reference.  Anything fawning would be batted away, and a direct question asked about certain aspects of the game would follow.

It was clear all the way back then that he was a proper professional and student of the game.

Such a pity that he is not still part of the club set up in some way.

Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 01, 2018, 05:52:04 am »

It's very different galvanising a team via new manager bounce to galvanising them over a whole season. Have to be very careful of lapping up what we want to hear. Any manager worth their salt on the scene could have come out with the stuff Austin has as its very basic stuff, playing for the shirt and all that jazz.

Other than a guy who happens to be in situ can't see what differentiates Austin with a myriad of out of work managers who are more experienced than him.

Again, recruitment is key and if that continues to be poor then we will be hampered anyway.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #299 on: May 01, 2018, 07:54:38 am »

I totally agree!

As an aside:

There was many a time when I spoke to Sammo after games that he played during his prime here at the Cobblers (both before, and of course, many times after, the move to Sixfields).....  My off-spring always wanted to stay after games and get autographs (never something that appealed to me, I must confess).  Sammo was usually one of the last out, and he always wanted to talk and analyse the game.

Whilst signing autographs, he always used to ask what we thought ....  and I was always honest.  If I said something critical of the Cobblers (especially the defence), he usually replied with a "Hmmmmmm", and seemed to store the comment away for future reference.  Anything fawning would be batted away, and a direct question asked about certain aspects of the game would follow.

It was clear all the way back then that he was a proper professional and student of the game.

Such a pity that he is not still part of the club set up in some way.

Sweet Jesus you've reproduced. Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: