The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 14:01:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Kevin van Veen

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kevin van Veen  (Read 46375 times)
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #300 on: October 13, 2018, 22:58:06 pm »

Getting the best out of people is an enormous part of management in any industry .
You can have as many badges and certificates as you like but there is no qualification for dealing with people .
If Curly can work with the characters on our side and get them performing as a team , we have a chance.
Van Veen is top of that list because he is awkward and an enigma .
Today , he was up for it and looked a class above .
Hopefully Curly has the skill to get the best out of him full time .

Exactly, well put.

Expirance also has a lot to do with this too. That maybe one of the biggest differences between Curle and Austin.

Austin needed a platform to learn and make his own mistakes, just us and niw was not tge pkay form for doing that. Curle had been there and done that and commands respect. Of fours this does not guarantee success but definatly helps.
Report Spam   Logged
Freddie Ramscar

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #301 on: October 13, 2018, 23:12:14 pm »

Exactly, well put.

Expirance also has a lot to do with this too. That maybe one of the biggest differences between Curle and Austin.

Austin needed a platform to learn and make his own mistakes, just us and niw was not tge pkay form for doing that. Curle had been there and done that and commands respect. Of fours this does not guarantee success but definatly helps.

I think you are Alan Turing and your posts are written using your enigma machine. Unfortunately have not cracked the code you are using at the moment, but working on it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #302 on: October 13, 2018, 23:57:08 pm »

Exactly, well put.

Hope you had a good night out Glasto ! Smiley
The hardest part of management is dealing with people that you don’t see eye to eye with. But you don’t have to get on with someone to get the best out of them . You just have to respect they are motivated by different things and tap into that for the greater good
Report Spam   Logged
bpcobbler

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 14, 2018, 01:07:06 am »

'That' run though...  #thoroughbred   
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #304 on: October 14, 2018, 04:31:11 am »

Yeah players probably aren't as 'passionate' or as loyal about their clubs as fans are, but it's nonsense to suggest because of that they sometimes just can't be arsed.

Football is mostly technical ability, fitness and confidence. Passion/commitment/heart has very little bearing when it comes down to it.

Don’t totally agree because having watched football for many years I would categorically state some player can’t be arsed.

Also if in your footballing world passion, commitment and heart have little bearing you represent the mindset of coaches a few years ago that had a philosophy of suppressing individual passion and replacing it with sophisticated technical skills - result boring sterile football.

Of course technical ability, fitness and confidence have a place but surely a blend of all these characteristics gives us the best football.
Report Spam   Logged
Monkey

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #305 on: October 14, 2018, 07:12:02 am »

No doubting KvVs quality but I'm loving his work rate and his ability to time a run and/or challenge top. Very clever player who hopefully Curle can get the best out of consistently.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #306 on: October 14, 2018, 08:42:58 am »

I think you are Alan Turing and your posts are written using your enigma machine. Unfortunately have not cracked the code you are using at the moment, but working on it.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #307 on: October 14, 2018, 10:55:35 am »

Cracking the spelling would be a start!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #308 on: October 14, 2018, 15:27:42 pm »

Grin Grin I'm definitely going to nick that gem. 
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #309 on: October 14, 2018, 15:36:35 pm »

Don’t totally agree because having watched football for many years I would categorically state some player can’t be arsed.

I don't think you appreciate just how hard it is to make it as a professional footballer, the ones that can't be arsed will have been weeded out early in the process despite their ability.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 14, 2018, 17:56:59 pm »

First couple pages of this thread is hilarious  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Carlo Corazzins Corduroy

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 14, 2018, 18:22:30 pm »

Also if in your footballing world passion, commitment and heart have little bearing you represent the mindset of coaches a few years ago that had a philosophy of suppressing individual passion and replacing it with sophisticated technical skills - result boring sterile football.

Of course technical ability, fitness and confidence have a place but surely a blend of all these characteristics gives us the best football.

Not sure I follow, what coaches are you referencing? The most sterile football I've watched at Town is under Boothroyd, and there was no technical sophistication in that unless you're counting Tozer's long throws. I'd argue it's those types of managers; Aidy, Pulis, Allardyce, that produce the worst football to watch. None of them reward individuality, it's all laboured collective effort and organisation.

Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #312 on: October 14, 2018, 18:23:52 pm »

Haha! thanks for the tip. If VV keeps it up he's going to be a cult hero up to the JJOT level.
Ralap is going to have to make up some new lyrics for the 'I just don’t think you understand' chant
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #313 on: October 14, 2018, 19:14:08 pm »

I stand by every word I said!  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #314 on: October 14, 2018, 21:39:58 pm »

Haha! thanks for the tip. If VV keeps it up he's going to be a cult hero up to the JJOT level.
Ralap is going to have to make up some new lyrics for the 'I just don’t think you understand' chant

No chance.

Not with Hi Oh Silver lining waiting for his name...
Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 15, 2018, 12:42:55 pm »

Yes, just one example of how wrong a few people on here are some of the time.

People thought van Veen wasn't good enough, I didn't. Even a child can see that he has quality up above and beyond most of our squad.
People thought Foley wasn't good enough, I didn't. I backed him. Now he is our most consistent player week in week out.
Some people still think Cornell isn't good enough, I don't. Most of his doubters have realised he can do a decent job for us, then we have those on here with shall we say, issues or those just on a wind up.
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
guest1269

« Reply #316 on: October 15, 2018, 13:11:22 pm »

I don't think you appreciate just how hard it is to make it as a professional footballer, the ones that can't be arsed will have been weeded out early in the process despite their ability.

Actually I do appreciate how hard it is from at very close quarters watching youngsters in our youth set up progressing to some who are now playing at a higher level.

Some of these players despite a poor run of form, injuries or even a rubbish manager will still put in a 100% shift - there are others when the going gets tough simply wont - so no, they are not always weeded out (not least because even outside these normal highs and lows, attitudes and motivations can change in a 15 year career journey)
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #317 on: October 15, 2018, 13:22:21 pm »

Yes, just one example of how wrong a few people on here are some of the time.

People thought van Veen wasn't good enough, I didn't. Even a child can see that he has quality up above and beyond most of our squad.
People thought Foley wasn't good enough, I didn't. I backed him. Now he is our most consistent player week in week out.
Some people still think Cornell isn't good enough, I don't. Most of his doubters have realised he can do a decent job for us, then we have those on here with shall we say, issues or those just on a wind up.

There have been many on this forum that have stated that Van Veen, Foley, Williams, Facey, Bunney amongst others are 'not good enough' or 'will get the club relegated to the NL, or are/have been 'dud signings'. One poster even stated that Pierre's sending off against Port Vale was 'no great loss' and implied we were better off playing with 10 than with him in the XI! Some on here feel the squad is not good enough to finish in the top half of this league, a view I find laughable. I fancy we'll finish in the top 7 this season, nothing I've seen from the quality of the other teams leads me to think this isn't achievable.

I believe you are wrong about Cornell however. Saturday again showed he can and will be a liability all too often as the season progresses. His poor decision making cost the goal, make no mistake. If he had stayed on his line then the attacker still had much to do and Turnbull had little ground to make up in order to make a block/tackler/put Reid off. He also came out very early which was unnecessary. He made the decision to come out, it was badly wrong and it put us behind.

By my reckoning poor goalkeeping by him has directly cost at least 6 goals so far this season. That he has made a small handful of very good saves means very little. IMO a keepers' worth is down to how few errors they make and Cornell has got a bad error in him almost every other match and this just isn't good enough. There's no reason whatsoever to assume that any other keeper at this level would not have made at least the same number of 'superb' stops if playing all season instead of Cornell, while also making considerably less (if any at all) basic goal costing errors.

For example, Ward made  a very good save against Oxford which if made by Cornell would have seen his supporters on here stating how he had 'saved us' and how we were so lucky to have him! Didn't see a great deal of praise for Ward for the stop however. I'm not saying Ward should be playing instead of Cornell, he may well not be good enough and therefore should never have been bought in.

I'll be staggered if Curle does not bring in a replacement for Cornell in January.

Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #318 on: October 15, 2018, 13:22:30 pm »

Not sure I follow, what coaches are you referencing? The most sterile football I've watched at Town is under Boothroyd, and there was no technical sophistication in that unless you're counting Tozer's long throws. I'd argue it's those types of managers; Aidy, Pulis, Allardyce, that produce the worst football to watch. None of them reward individuality, it's all laboured collective effort and organisation.

I think we are essentially saying the same thing other than for me heart and passion still play a big part
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #319 on: October 15, 2018, 13:30:49 pm »

I believe you are wrong about Cornell however. Saturday again showed he can and will be a liability all too often as the season progresses. His poor decision making cost the goal, make no mistake. If he had stayed on his line then the attacker still had much to do and Turnbull had little ground to make up in order to make a block/tackler/put Reid off. He also came out very early which was unnecessary. He made the decision to come out, it was badly wrong and it put us behind.

By my reckoning poor goalkeeping by him has directly cost at least 6 goals so far this season. That he has made a small handful of very good saves means very little. IMO a keepers' worth is down to how few errors they make and Cornell has got a bad error in him almost every other match and this just isn't good enough. There's no reason whatsoever to assume that any other keeper at this level would not have made at least the same number of 'superb' stops if playing all season instead of Cornell, while also making considerably less (if any at all) basic goal costing errors.

Interesting and fair points - my take is we as a team were so woefully bad under DA it was probably unfair to single out Cornell as a scapegoat - however I fully expect many players in the coming weeks to raise their game (to where is should have been in the first place) so given his age and number of games played unfortunately doubt if Cornell will improve - of course I hope this is not the case but if it is stays the same then the errors we have seen will mark him as a weaker link and I believe KC will make changes.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: